[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1717809161487591.gif (1.78 MB, 297x498)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB GIF
Saying that Americans were responsible for rock music is like saying the Greeks invented the analog computer.
>>
So true sister
>>
The Greeks were responsible for rock music. Just think about it for a second
>>
>>122587452
You don't even have to think about it, it's a well-known fact that Johnny B Goode was originally known as Ioannis B Goodopoupopoulouse
>>
True. America didn't get a world-class, zeitgeist-defining rock band until GNR/Nirvana, when rock music was in its death throes. Remarkable.
>b-but muh Van Halen
>b-but muh Aerosmith
>b-but muh Kiss
lol, lmao
>>
>>122587297
>posts insane opinion with 0 factual backing
lol
>>122587529
Hearty kek
>>122587563
>americans didn't have any good rock until nirvana
>lists a bunch of white predecessor bands like they were founding people of the genre
sounds about white
>>
>>122587965
Learn to read, Timmy.
>>
>>122587297
What non-american rock bands of note existed before american rock bands began?
>>
>>122587297
They literally did invent the analog computer though.
>>
File: 1625712052973.jpg (47 KB, 620x675)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>122587563
>>americans didn't have any good rock until nirvana
>>lists a bunch of white predecessor bands like they were founding people of the genre
>sounds about white
>>
>>122587297
maybe Greeks did invent computers, I don't fucking know. Steve Jobs was Lebanese which is actually a type of Greek if you think about it.
>>
File: red.png (705 KB, 543x543)
705 KB
705 KB PNG
>>122588153
>Lebanese which is actually a type of Greek if you think about it.
>>
>>122587297
Where was rock music invented, then? Who was responsible?
>>
>>122587563
Bait or mental retardation?
>>
>>122588334
Name an American band that was as hot and influential as The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, Led Zep, Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Sex Pistols etc during their respective peaks of popularity. You can't. And those are the A-listers, even Britain's second- and third-raters shit all over their American counterparts.
>>
>>122588430
None of those bands would exist without Americans artists like Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly & The Crickets, Muddy Waters, and Elvis Presley. British bands were responsible for many innovations and important landmarks in rock music, but they were not responsible for the creation of rock music itself.
>>
File: James-Brown-1988.jpg (319 KB, 1206x1600)
319 KB
319 KB JPG
>>122588430
KING JAMES CLEARS THEM ALL
>>
>>122588153
Greeks are actually a type of Lebanese, Caanites are the ones who taught Greeks Civilization and saved them from being snowniggers
>>
>>122588430
This thread isn't about who's more influential, it's about who invented rock in the first place. You're arguing about something that nobody's even talking about.
>>
>>122587563
Telling that all the anons who replied to you had nothing but ad homs.
>>
>>122587563
/mu/ likes to elevate the barbershop quartet from the lizard state, lou reed and the velvets, zappa etc but these people were all cult acts cribbing careers from successful british musicians, the beach boys weren't even appreciated in their own country the way they were in europe. the hard truth is that rock music as we understand it began with the so-called british invasion and had nothing to do with americans, who were largely imitators
>>
>>122589155
>so called imitators
Tell me a single british band from that time who actually mattered that wasnt heavily influenced or directly inspired by american rock stars like elvis, buddy holly, or chuck berry
>>
>>122589155
Spot on. I enjoy the 50s rock canon but it's apelike in its primitivity. Even a 30-track Chuck Berry CD will test anyone's patience.

Beach Boys worship is 100% Amerimutt cope and/or contrarianism; it's quite telling that their legend is more interesting than the actual music. Their "masterpiece" is a giant what-if-might've-been-never-was. Sad!

This dorky impulse to excavate and present who invented what when and automatically grant it immortal classic status is a juvenile pursuit. You'll know what I'm talking about if you've ever been in a /mu/ thread about the "first" punk band/album. Midwit central.

The prototype is never the shining example.
>>
>>122589441
Coping so hard even the british did it wow
>>
>>122589474
>The Beach Boys managed to write one good song in their 60-year career
Astonishing.
>>
>>122589441
>When first hearing the album, Clapton was knocked out by its brilliance, telling Melody Maker at the time, “I consider Pet Sounds to be one of the greatest pop LPs to ever be released. It encompasses everything that’s ever knocked me out and rolled it all into one. Brian Wilson is, without a doubt, a pop genius”.
>Once Clapton heard what Wilson could do on tracks like ‘God Only Knows’ and ‘Sloop John B’, he knew that he needed a band that was more sonically adventurous than The Yardbirds. Later, Clapton would recall Pet Sounds being one of the main inspirations behind Cream getting together, explaining: “It was like ‘It’s over’. We were forming Cream when Pet Sounds came out. That became the primary influence for a lot of the songwriting. We couldn’t get it, but we would listen to that album non-stop”.
>>
>>122589534
>In 1990, when I had the honor of talking with Paul about Pet Sounds, he said that he had given each of his children a copy of the album because he believed that nobody’s musical education is complete until they’ve heard Pet Sounds. As that is the truth, then this box set is designed to be our post-graduate degree in music history, and, if it is possible, given how we already feel about this record, a quantum leap forward in our understanding of and appreciation for this remarkable musical achievement. Listen. Laugh. Cry. And feel Brian’s love. As he always says about his music, “I’m there for you if you need me.” There is no other place in which that comes across stronger, so just listen to his Pet Sounds heart…beat.
Seems like he enjoyed the whole thing actually
>>
>>122589534
That's two songs Paul mentioned, so not only are you a pretentious faggot, you can't even read or count.
>>
>>122589534
He mentioned two songs in that quote and he's also on record saying that Don't Worry Baby is one of his favorite songs of all time. The Beatle's reverence for the Beach Boys is extremely well-known and I don't really get why you're trying to deny it.
>>
>>122589617
It's secretly Mike Love still seething all these years later
>>
>>122589441
oh i can't stand that discussion it's the worst, same with proto-punk and proto-metal and proto-doo wop it's the nadir of overonline nerds scouring blogs and allmusic to find something where someone tripped over a guitar near an 8 track that you could squint at and somehow construe it as conforming to genre, pure autism and mental masturbation
>>
>>122589441

“I’ve loved everything he’s done, ever. He was in a different class from other performers; he was in the tradition of the great blues artists, but he really wrote his own stuff – I know [Little] Richard did, but Berry really wrote stuff, just the lyrics were fantastic, even though we didn’t know what he was saying half the time.”

-John Lennon
>>
Yeah, & what have you accomplished personally? You no talent lazy fuck.
>>
>>122588079
Yeah that's what makes this thread so confusing
>>
>>122587297
They were cause if they weren’t such backstabbing faggots they wouldn’t have lost to the Turks, and the other Europeans wouldn’t have been so eager to find other trade routes, then Colombo wouldn’t have discovered America which invented Rock n Roll

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.