[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: download.jpg (39 KB, 800x533)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
How many keys exist?
I'm getting mixed answers from 12 to 15 to 24!?
>>
>>122589462
72. all twelve notes, plus all twelve notes sharp, plus all twelve notes flat; all major and minor.
>>
>>122590513
inb4 someone says that c-sharp and d-flat are the same key. they are the same tone, but not the same key.
>>
>>122589462
I’m assuming you mean keys as in song key

If I remember correctly 7 major notes, 7 minor notes and then the flat or sharp versions of those notes so it’s like 24 total
>>
>>122589462
Frankly it depends on what you count as a key. "Modes" are literally not any different to keys except we pretend otherwise to make the list of keys seem smaller.
>>
>>122590532
Yeah they're the same key. Maybe you choose one or the other for reading purposes but you're being obtuse to suggest they're actually different aurally

>>122589462
>how many keys are there
12 major, 12 minor (no sense in splitting harmonic and melodic minor as those are merely functions not separate keys)
Then you have six additional modes if you want to count those (ionaian and aeolian are just standard major and minor, respectively) and then you have other unusual scales which I guess you could include if you want

So my answer is 30+ I guess. Whatever.
>but c sharp and D flat are different!
Alright dipshit are you going to include F flat major too? How about B sharp major? Whoa we got a badass theoretician over here gonna get double sharps in the mix too? I'll kill you.
>>
>>122590588
You’re retarded. Key and modes are different things

Keys are just the total amount of notes you can play in a certain range

Modes are a specific set of notes within a key range that you can play.

It would make more sense to say scales and modes are more ambiguous terms because they both kinda mean the same but a mode is a scale but a scale is not a mode.
>>
>>122590631
The major and minor keys are modes.
>>
>>122590631
A scale is a mode, actually.
>>
>>122590640
No they are not.

Take the scale of A Major for example

The entire set of notes that can be played within the key of A Major is pitches A, B, C, D, E, F, and G

If you wanted to play a certain mode, let’s say Phrygian mode over a certain key, you would play it this way

Major: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1

1 being the tonic and so on.
>>
>>122590646
>>122590631
>>122590640
There's functionally no difference, it's pure convention. In medieval and remaissance usage the diatonic notes (as in no sharps or flats) contained 7 regular modes and then altered versions of those modes made by placing the upper tetrachord below the lower tetrachord(without altering conventions regarding the tenor/reciting tone). Then they also started transposing the intervalic relationships inherent in each of those modes to different starting tones, including musica ficta tones. The naming of one pair of the 7 transposing modes major and minor scales is purely due to how the frequency of their use in music from the late renaissance onward. There's too many to bother counting, especially when taking in to account scales not typically covered by the traditional system such as the augmented scale. Not that you are going to use f flat hypolocrian unless you are determined to impress your jazz school friends.
>>
>>122589462
its an infinity
>>
>>122591000
HERE'S MY KEY
PHILOSOPHY
A FREAK LIKE ME
NEEDS INFINITY
>>
>>122589462
>>
>>122590532
They are the same key
>>
>>122590735
Anon you fucking donkey
What do you think ionian mode is

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.