[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

How do you genuinely do it? Especially if you want to do it as your career, not just a side hobby.

I get caught up over every detail, like picking a name, what kind of style music, etc. I just don't have it figured out. And I know people say to just start because now is better than later but I used to put my music up online but it was just a mess because I didn't have any sort of consistency with my musical style and my whole entire aesthetic, name and music style changed every 3 months, along with basically no promotion and a sloppy internet presence.

How do I do it the right way next time? I struggle a lot with making music that I feel actually represents me, to the point where I have serious depressive episodes about it, because I'm so obsessed with my "persona" as an artist and when I can't properly express the visual identity I have in my head through music I just feel disabled and I sometimes feel like I'm simply not good enough. However, in the past few days I've randomly been able to make a few songs that are just everything that I want to do, it's really cool and I really like it and I feel like I'm actually able to translate this style and aesthetic I have in my head into music.

My instinct is to just get it up online but I'm worried about, in 3 months, what if my style changes completely and I don't like the name that I came up with, I don't like this style of music anymore, and I don't even like the songs anymore? It feels like I can't get anywhere with this because I'm not like other people where I just don't care and I just like one genre of music and I can just consistently put out decent songs in that style. Plus I'm super paranoid about the things I put up online because I hate that in 10 years the things I did will still represent me and people can look back and make fun of me for it. Idrk what to do.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense at all im really sleep deprived.
>>
>>122604084
just put your work out bro. its hard for an identity to form when its still in your head. need something to stand on. it'll come together as you get it started. dont be afraid of change thats the cool part of artistry
>>
>>122604084
Be rich.
>>
>>122604243
everyone says this, but I don't understand where all this money supposedly goes? To promotion or to buying studio time or something? I don't really understand
>>
>>122604127
this is true and also good advice, it's just so so so scary to think about the fact that possibly in maybe 10 20 years my entire identity will be based off some random name that my 19 year old self chose on a random afternoon making my soundcloud account, as well as everything I've ever done on the internet associated with that name being permanently etched and available for people to find if they want to... idk how to deal with that
>>
>>122604367
theres beauty in that. vulnerability. look at Nirvanas first album. its raw. people like to look at that because progression is inspiring. your entire identity will not be based off your first project. your identity will evolve. It's permanently etched, yeah. but if you really feel so strongly u could start over again, but why do that.
Really what you're afraid of is being perceived, which is very normal for an artist.
>>
>>122604367
many artists have had many bands and performed under many names. if you strike gold on the first one thats cool, but if you change aliases thirty times thats interesting. what happens happens. The internet has placed this expectation of perfection onto us, its bullshit and constricting. try not to buy into it
>>
File: 20318477.jpg (150 KB, 780x780)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>122604243
>Have rich parents
ftfy
>>122604330
Most artists nowadays come from wealthy families with connections in the entertainment industry. I don't want to demoralize you but keep in mind that it is a difficult path if you don't have that advantage, much more so today than a few decades ago, when even working class people could become internationally recognized, like The Beatles or Nirvana.

That's not only a personal appreciation. Here's a study that shows how creative professions are increasingly being occupied by people from the upper classes
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/00380385221129953

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.