[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: cover.jpg (601 KB, 1000x1000)
601 KB
601 KB JPG
Does Linkin Park deserve a critical reappraisal?
>>
>>122892998
it was huge and different at the time and it has had a profound impact on many in my generation, i think so
>>
My appraisal of Hybrid Theory is that it’s dope, okay, I don’t care.
That’d be a real tragedy to be the kind of person stuck on that kind of music, obviously.
>>
>>122892998
Chester has one of the greatest rock voices of all time. Cornell, Plant, Steven Tyler (even though Aerosmith sucks), Buckley, Bennington.
>>
>>122893505
Wow to reply to myself it’s been a while since I actually heard this. This is some moody, depressing shit. This isn’t happy music.
>>
>>122892998
There's only one philosophical question worth asking: whether or not life is worth living. - Albert Camus.

That's what art does. It suggests ways in which life is worth living, across the boundaries of time, space, income and even culture. That's what makes it different from entertainment, crafts, industry, kitsch, camp,failed art. Most pop music, Linkin Park included, doesn't meet those criteria. It also doesn't mean you should stop liking a certain performer. On the contrary.
>>
>>122893850
>Hybrid Theory
>Not happy music
Kek no shit. Just listen to One Step Closer, the entire album is full of anthems for teenagers that hate their parents or think they're being gangstalked. And this is coming from someone who couldn't get enough of it when he was a teen.
>>
>>122893935
No this is bleak stuff this guy is saying, lmao.
He’s bumming me out.
>>
>>122892998
Only A Thousand Suns does
>>
Yes. For too long Linkin Park has been wrongfully regarded as terrible nu metal, when in reality they're shitty pu metal and shouldn't be talked about at all.
>>
A Thousand Suns > Reanimation > Living Things > Meteora = Hybrid Theory > that LP Underground shitpost album > Minutes to Midnight > everything else
>>
File: nu-metal band maker.jpg (29 KB, 420x450)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>122892998
No. As much as I'd like to believe they left behind at least *some* enduring classics, their music just has not aged well. I'm rediscovering some good stuff from Korn, Limp Bizkit, System of a Down, and even Evanescence, but basically nothing of value from LP. It's all plebcore all the way down unfortunately.
>>
>>122893927
Shut the fuck up sudointellectuLOL
>>
>>122892998
I don't know what that reappraisal would look like.
If anything, it's almost worse in retrospect. Despite the music enduring somewhat (especially in Europe), it's very very much of its time. This is the Flock of Seagull 80s trope for the 2000s.

But at the same time, it had genuine cross-over success and was undeniably accessible aggressive pop hard rock for the masses. It definitely started out like a fad... their first single had le epic madman screaming "SHUT UP WHEN I'M TALKING TO YOU". There were dozens of bands in that nu-metal, rap rock realm who could have been Linkin Park. But they simply had the best songs of the bunch, and were able to follow it up with consistent singles.

Chester was a great vocalist, Mike Shinoda was an above average songwriter. It was a perfect storm of post-grunge nu-metal and turn of the millennium angst, but they were a good enough band that at least a handful of the songs transcended that little stylistic box.
>>
>>122892998
Not music

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.