[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Ringo Starr.jpg (195 KB, 917x1200)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
Is Ringo a good drummer?
>>
>>122895077
Can there be a separate Beatles board? They contaminate half of the threads here.
>>
let me ask YOU something. When was the last time you looked at the world through your childhood eyes? When was the last time you walked into a room and danced like no one was watching?
>>
Yes, I am the best infact.

peace and love
>>
>>122895077
Yeh.
Natural feel, natural sound, knack for rhythmic hooks.
And he's got chops, too.
>>
Yes /thread
>>
the absolute state of mu
>>
i dont know if he had heckin choperinos but he wrote satisfying parts for the band. good on him
>>
>>122895295
Based Ritchie cruising mu.
>>
>>122895077

Effective and tasteful player with nearly flawless tempo
>>
>>122895295
Pete Best best?
>>
>>122895077
He is great, very groovy and on point. If you listen to the Beatles recordings with Pete Best and then listen to the same songs with Ringo Starr you will soon realize why they changed drummers.
>>
paul was better.

https://youtu.be/4aAqxnCXHEs?si=vZo4K2JUHEqwFonp
>>
Nichol>Ringo>White>Paul>Best
>>
>>122895077
He was a drummer
>>
>>122895077
Yes
Drummers are meant to serve the song Ringo was all the Beatles ever needed
>>
>>122895077
no
>>
>>122895077
he is the krist novoselic of the beatles
>>
he sounds great here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-G1Ze_s9n4
>>
>>122895077
for a boyband drummer who never left 4/4, he's alright i guess.
>>
>>122898683
I Me Mine is in 3/4
>>
>>122898683
>>122899416
I'm pretty sure he's the one who suggested the time signature change in she said she said
>>
>>122895077
He served the Beatles well. That is, he wasn't technically great but he had a unique style that forged their signature sound
>>
>>122898683
here comes the sun leaves the 4/4 at various instances. Every time you dismiss them you just prove your ignorance
>>
>>122898683
why do people use 4/4 time as a pejorative when talking about pop music? almost all of it is in 4/4, that's all most people want to hear apart from the occasional 3/4. name FIVE songs that aren't in one of those two time signatures that's ever been a major hit.
>>
He wasn't even the best drummer in The Beatles
-John Lennon
>>
File: IMG_5853.jpg (57 KB, 603x444)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>122899656
MONEY
GET AWAY
>>
>>122899774
ok now name 4 more.
>>
>>122900246
Whipping Post
>>
Some drummers say he suck until they actually try to play one of his parts and then they usually shut up. Or so I've been told, I'm not a drummer myself.
>>
>>122899656
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcAUcbwI8QE&ab_channel=DavidBennettPiano
>>
>>122899449
Nah It was John.
She said - Good morning - All you need is love and i'm probably forgetting something from the white album
All john all some departure from 4/4 at some point for odness
>>
>>122900246
Living in the past - Jethro Tull
All you need os love - the beatles
>>
>>122898291
That's George
>>
>>122900246
Schism
>>
>>122900246
Solsbury Hill
>>
>>122898683
Damn you are a certified retard
>>
>>122901437
>>122901814
>>122902971
Not hits
>>
>>122895077
Not particularly, no.
>>
>people responding to the muh boyband guy
queen sucks btw and your hero died from hiv semen
>>
>>122895077
yes but anyone saying he's the best drummer of all time is a retard
>>
>>122899656
4/4 is the most common signature in jazz as well by far. Pseuds just think it's a marker of muh technicality even though modulation/key sig changes are way more complicated
>>
>>122895077
Ringo big dicks.
>fish oil comercial
>>
>>122899656
Take Five
>>
>>122905766
Ringo unloved please. Permanent meats.
>smears cream on the colorles television
>stinks bads
>>
>>122895077
he invented live playing faster than the song recorded, which is why he is the least talented and most significant masturbator in the band
>>
Yes and so is lars ulrich
>>
>>122895077
He's really good at not catching cancer or bullets.
>>
>>122898683
Can you legit fuck off? Sick of you.
>>
Whatever makes Paul happy. Excellence makes Paul happy. Life long friends to this day
>>
>>122895077
It doesn't matter how good of a drummer you are, what matters is if the songs are good
>>
I was surprised to read that Octopus's Garden is the only song he wrote. I swear he'd have written When I'm 64, With a Little Help from My Friends or some other goofy song of theirs like that. But nope, Octopus's Garden is his only one.
And he wrote it whilst the band was going through their end-of-the-road turmoil, but they all came together to happily support him and make the song. They all consider it 100% Ringo's song, and I find that pretty cute.
>>
>>122908675
Don't Pass Me By as well.
>>
>>122895802
>with nearly flawless tempo
doesnt every drummer in basically every somewhat successful band ever have 'nearly flawless tempo'? is keeping time really that much of a qualifier?
>>
>>122909544
No

Do you want to know why? After a certain year drummers have utilised technology to sound consistent
Gates for impact, adjustments for tempos
Ringo had none of that

You can compare ringo to drummers of his day too, though. He was remarkably consistent at higher tempos with taxing rhythms like shuffles. He WAS the real deal.
>>
>>122895077
no, he was a no-playing motherfucker
>>
>>122899656
Signature fagging is the ultimate pseud tool to make themselves feel special. Time signatures are tools for making good music first and foremost and 4/4 is popular because it works.
>>
>>122895077
Yes.
>>
>>122909615
>taxing rhythms like shuffles
FUCKING LOL
>>
>>122909918
>FUCKING LOL
they are if you expect to maintain them at a rapid tempo with accuracy. seriously.
>>
>>122900783
they're bad drummers then, which most people are. It's incredible how many drummers cannot play a straight beat for two minutes without rushing or dragging at some point. Ringo was very consistent which is why he gets so much praise nowadays.

He suffers from (ironically) Beatles disease, meaning:
they deserve respect in the same fashion that the guy who invented fire deserves respect when it comes to cooking.
but calling either one the best at their respective field is absolutely retarded now that music (and cooking) have evolved so much more.

He was alright, for his time great, but any good modern drummer will be able to play 90% of his stuff with one hand, I know that because I can.
>>
Good for a guy who 'never practiced'. Seriously
>>
>>122895077
people always say RINGO IS LE BESTEST and when you ask them for proof they come up with answers like this: youtu.be/LvIBr4-mDZU?t=76

Apparently, being able to hold a beat for four minutes is a feat that qualifies you to be one of the greats. But then again like >>122912571 says, most drummers truly cannot do that, so maybe there is some truth to that afterall.
I recall how difficult it is to find a decent, let along a good, drummer. Whereas any other instrument seems to have so many scale-practising autists that you're bound to find proficient people. But a good drummer seems like one in a million.
>>
>>122912645
Drum kits are big, loud, and expensive. Very inconvenient compared to a guitar.
>>
>>122912645
this video is stupid and for noobs and fucking ignorant
>>
He invented the widely known sequence in drumming called *ba-dum-tsss*
So he's up there with the greats
>>
>>122895077
Factually he is. He's not going to blow minds or be some technical master but he's got a great groove and feel and served the band very well. Listen to the early demos they did, Pete Best was a bad drummer, Ringo is at the very least quite competent. He's also fairly influential given his status plus he did that dead drum sound thing with towels which is instantly recognizable and became very in vogue in a lot of 70s recordings.
>>
>he served the band
like clockwork lmao
>>
I like whoever played in She said she said, A day in the life, or Here comes the sun.
I don't think that's Ringo though.
>1963 to Rubber Soul
basic rockandroll/merseybeat drummer (a good one btw)
>Rain through Revolver and SP
Albums carried heavily by studio and production were G, Martin involvement is huge, he competely changes his style and plays things that seem far above his former possibilities. Anyone can improve or change, ok.
>white album
Martin's gone. Ringo drops the band several times, No impressive drumming whatsoever here. He was just depressed. ok.
>Let it be sessions
Cameras filming 24/7. Ringo goes ape drum mode again. Can't play proficiently or difficult stuff anymore. He continues to be depressed... ok
>Abbey road
Enter G. Martin again. Ringo plays with the force of a thousand suns. wtf?
>50 (fifty) years of solo career
goes back to basic bitch drumming ape again. never ever in 50 years plays live ANY of the tracks that were consider examples of his good drumming in the Beatles. For half a century when he plays a beatles tunes he plays two covers that he played with the Hurricanes before them: Boys and Honey don't.
This is weird as fuck for someone whom his whole persona is having been the drummer of the most famous band of all time.

>tl;dr
I'm becoming increasingly suspicious he was there fully in the best albums.
>>
>>122909974
lol no
>>
>>122895077
yes

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.