[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: a6e-948419455.png (20 KB, 1000x1000)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
how do i find new music to listen to

theres so much that i dont know where to look anymore. sites like rym have a kinda lame userbase which makes it hard to find music, and sites like bandcamp have so much stuff random stuff released on it that you cant find anything worth listening to.
>>
>>122897347
It's like food, there's a million places to eat and when you finally pick a place you gotta decide what to order, what mood are you in? Do you eat the same thing you always get when you go there? You know what you don't like, or think you don't like but wanna give it a shot again? Do you want to try something new? Etc. You gotta start somewhere man first decide what you want to listen to and go from there.
>>
may as well ask where to find water
>>
It took some time and effort, but after using Bandcamp for a while I was able to find tons of great music and now I have a huge backlog of promising stuff. If you care about finding new stuff, it's more than worth it to get started on there.
>>
>>122897426
>backlog of promising stuff.
Don't collect it, listen to it. Now you have 900 albums to thumb through and once you listen to one of those "promising" albums you like you're going just rabbit hole into their similar music and styles etc. You're better off just picking an album and listening to it and going from there
>>
>>122897462
You've misunderstood the point of the post paired with the picture. The 900+ albums in my collection are things I've thoroughly listened to and purchased. The wishlist of 7,900+ is the backlog of stuff I still have to dive into. That's the promising stuff backlog. I listen constantly, not just collect.
>>
>>122897347
local library
>>
>>122897510
Ohhh sorry I see now.
>>
Whatever works for you works, think of whatever has already worked for you and try and milk that.
I've personally spent several hours listening through the recent releases on SoundCloud for genres I enjoy, and while a large majority is fluff from people who should and will drop their musicianship dream. But I've found five, maybe six good artists, and dozens good songs. So that's one way.
Now you can call me an NPC all day, but frankly I've found Spotify's recommendation algo to be really good, particularly after I play through an album I like. It has a high rate in my experience of serving up deeper cut, downright patrician at times, songs from artists such as The Trews, Wide Mouth Mason, Ben Prunty, and the Willard Grant Conspiracy.
>>
>>122897662
Forgot to mention this only works with premium. But I also found bands like Camel, Lord Phobos and Assemble Head in Sunburst Sound
>>
>>122897347
Learn an instrument or sing. Or look at credits of songs you like and see who actually played on them
>>
>>122897347
>allmusic.com
>look up bands you already like
>click related
> see similar bands and bands that influenced and are influenced by band
>>
>>122897347
That's why you need to cultivate users to follow then make charts (esoteric is good for this as well) from just those users ratings.
I generally skip a follow if their 5s are just /mu/core shit because i've already been through all that.
Just click on users with good taste and see what they follow, what lists they have, what lists they've liked. Not hard to cultivate if you know what you're looking for
>>
i literally have a list of 50 artists/albums 4chan has recommended me and these are all non country/rap/electronic/pop. this is after ive downloaded like 50 new artists through other recs over the last few months, helps when you read wiki pages and find associated artists or iconic albums
>>
>>122897347
/mu/ and pitchfork used to be my sources for finding interesting music that wasn't normie meme shit, but those are well past dead now. RYM used to be fine 10 years ago, too.
Honestly the whole "music nerd community" ethos in 2024 is so unappealing to me, I don't think I'd have ever gotten seriously into music if I was just starting now.
>>
>>122897347
for new music before 2005: jhon peel radio program
for current music a good starting point is using discogs, checking for the label of your fave acts. try also making threads about asking for simmilar songs.
>>
>>122900003
seconding checking out other artists on the same label, godtier discovery method. also sometimes worth researching band members, maybe a prolific musician involved in other projects.
>>
>>122897347
I use rym and retro music magazines for my music recommendations, stop being lazy and stupid.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.