[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why was it forgotten so quickly?
>>
Putting aside that everything is forgotten quickly these days, I think the fact that it feels like a one-off puts a damper on attention and staying power. They have some excellent songs though.
>>
>>122902065
ersatz shit
>>
>>122902065
Another 70s rehash. Why would I listen to it when I can listen to actual Soul from the 70s that are way better?
>>
>>122902673
This. Bruno is a great imitator and knows his grooves, but fails to integrate tradition into something fresh like MJ did in his time. Not that it's easy, but as long as he keeps doing what he does, he'll only get so far.
>>
It’s a nice enough album, but nostalgia-bait feels about as good as having sex with your dads highschool girlfriend.
>>
like the person above said about it seeming like a novelty- honestly I have the album and liked it a lot and played it for company when it first came out- but it didn't have a lot of replay value after a few weeks and none of the songs ever really got stuck in my head the way something like this is supposed to. Anderson Paak in general seems like a really cool, talented guy and I'm pretty sure I've hit most of the stuff he's put out, but real talk he kinda reminds me of Lou Bega or somethin- like I'm just waiting for him to wind up on the "celebrity talking heads" circuit, doing VH1 shit and red carpet interviews or hosting a clip show. Anderson Paak has theater kid energy more than real art shit. Like I think IDK is a better, more sincere artist kinda sorta in that same lane.
>>
>>122902673
>>122902694
It's firmly in the 70s style, but they did add some hip hop elements to it here and there, no? It's not entirely without innovation.

>>122902740
Sounds good, tbqh. As long as he didn't penetrate it back then.
>>
>>122902065
It's bland, nothing impressive. No innovation.
>>
File: marvingaye2.jpg (19 KB, 480x360)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>122902851
>>122902861
>>
>>122902065
I don't like that Anderson Paak's name has a period in it for some reason
>>
>>122902065
that's the fate of pitchfork landfill even dutring the early indie phase of gq
>>
>>122902851
>innovation
Mixing soul that would be as forgettable in the '70s as it is now with hip hop that would be as forgettable in the '90s as it is now is not innovation.
Making something means something exists, not that it's good.
>>
>>122902948
lol
>>
>>122905790
Not true on a couple of levels. Mixing genres that aren't normally mixed is actually a common form of innovation. Also, the soul aspects are really well done. That's all someone has to do to be memorable, not create something entirely new and original no one's ever heard before. I think their music sounds good, both the innovative bits and the traditional ones.
>>
>>122902065
gimmick album.
it was the music equivalent of that b/w silent movie who won a Oscar for best picture
>>
I heard they broke up cos bruno owes $50mil in gambling debts to MGM las vegas and is now basically owned by them and if SS stayed together they'd own a good portion of that too. Bruno is going out sad.
Not really into SS or AP's solo material but his project with Knxwledge is great, he seems to have genuine love for bouncing around playing with different people so he'll be fine.
>>
>>122905841
>Mixing genres that aren't normally mixed is actually a common form of innovation.
When done well. I've heard more than my fair share of jazz-shitfuck abominations and other similar local phenomena you wouldn't relate to.
>That's all someone has to do to be memorable
That's all someone has to do to make something enjoyable, not memorable. There's an ocean of perfectly good soul from the 70s that couldn't be more forgotten, and swing, and rock, and anything you can think of.
>not create something entirely new and original no one's ever heard before.
I didn't say that, I meant that you have to do a lot more than just mix two things together to end up with something that won't have people dig up hit songs in those styles from 50 years ago instead.

Besides, for this in particular, adding "hip hop elements" to soul is a moot point, hip hop came FROM soul, hip hop is hip hop + soul by definition, from the very beginning.
I like that they're keeping the art alive and doing it well, to the point where I wish some of my favorite genres had people to do that, but they're essentially doing what everyone else who ever practiced it did. It's club music, one of the few cases where it's the genre that's good and not any song in particular, at least beyond individual preference, doing this is accepting that it won't last.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.