[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 658788546599.png (2 KB, 640x480)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
what exactly is this and why does it trigger some people so much?
>>
Boomers hate it because they are only impressed by virtuosos, but it’s also overused by trannies so they can sound like women.
>>
>>122903482
Autotune doesn't do that
formant and pitch shift does that
>>
Autotune converts pitch discrepancies the average person can't hear into digital artifacts that are very audible.
>>
That sfx they did on "Believe" where it sounds like the singer is being punched in the throat. I fucking hate that bullshit.
>>
>>122903453
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-Tune
>>
>>122903453
it allows one to accurately express their love for a stripper
>>
File: 1721390138439023.png (106 KB, 281x442)
106 KB
106 KB PNG
>>122903482
>dumbass pseud doesnt know the diff between autotune and melodyne
>>
>>122903482
>Boomers hate it because they are only impressed by virtuosos, but
beg pardon? boomers always said rock was supposed to deprecate virtuoso singing like they had in the 50s.
>>
>>122903595
Disturbia is another song I can think of with that shit.
>>
>>122903619
People are bad-faith holders of both these positions all the time. People think it's noble to wrestle power for themselves by lowering the bar, but when it comes time for them to oversee the new generation, they'll cry out like it's not fair
>>
>>122903619
I guess they meant singers like Eydie Gorme or some shit where their performance is just a brute display of lung capacity with no expression at all.
>>
>>122903490
>>122903610
Trannies expose themselves itt
>>
>>122904078
I actually use formant and pitch shift to make my voice deeper because I think it's funny
>>
>>122903482
The same boomers never had any problem with vocoders. They just lost their minds when producers started using computer software to achieve the exact same effect and apply it to genres other than dad-rock. It was always a kneejerk emotional response, not a rational position.
>>
>>122904220
Vocorders were such a rare novelty that when you'd use them on a track like "Sweet Emotion" it almost stood out. It's not quite so bad as that asinine throat punching effect that was introduced on "Believe." I literally cannot stand listening to a song where that's used.
>>
>>122903453
Pitch correction software. Most people that are triggered by it don't really know what it is and are only reacting in those instances where it is intentionally used as a vocal effect.

Legitimate reasons to be skeptical of the use of auto-tune is that some of the "warmth" of older or live recordings originates in the more complex harmonics created by slight pitch deviation, the difference is perhaps most noticeable when comparing an older to a newer string ensemble recording.
>>
>>122904268
That song came out like 20 fucking years ago dude
>>
I love Zapp and Roger though...
>>
>>122903453
every shitty rapper uses autotune in a blatant in your face fashion. it sounds like shit and like a mix of a shit robot and keyboard
>>
>>122904280
nta but "Sweet Emotion" was '74? that's a bit more than 20 years ago.
>>
>>122904277
>WARMTH
Opinion discarded
>Newer string ensembles
Do you think that people use autotune on classical recordings?
>>
>>122904285
To be fair rap is an absolute sewer pipe so no standards are expected from it anyway.
>>
>>122904292
Believe not Sweet Emotion
Autotune has been employed in so many other contexts lol
>>
>>122903619
Source? I would say boomers respected musical ability, as long as it wasn't too formal/academic sounding. They don't want to hear bel canto or opera singing, but they loved male singers who could hit super high notes with a full voice and a lot of grit, which is not easy to do (or particularly good for the voice).
>>
>>122904293
>Do you think that people use autotune on classical recordings?
They do, in addition to a shitload of editing, whereas most older recordings would consist of live cuts.
>>
>>122904305
Well Believe came out in 1997 and that was also a bit more than 20 years ago. 20 years ago was 2004, you know.
>>
>>122903453
>triggers
grow up
>>
>>122904332
Most string ensembles are recorded with microphones capturing multiple instruments at once. Autotuning multiple voices sounds like shit.
What you're talking about is tape warble not autotune, and the rest is a whole lot of nonsense
>>
>>122904340
So it's 27 years ago? Lol what's the point of getting pedantic
>>
>>122904324
>They don't want to hear bel canto or opera singing, but

>>122904182
Like this.
>>
>>122904268
Sweet Emotion is a talkbox. But you're right in that a vocoder would be a novelty - it wasn't something that was meant to replace vocals entirely. Whereas the modern attitude towards auto-tune is that it's now expected that every singer of every genre uses it to get a "professional" sounding recording.
>>
>>122904413
>Whereas the modern attitude towards auto-tune is that it's now expected that every singer of every genre uses it to get a "professional" sounding recording
I assume people who think that sounds good never actually listened to the recording afterward because I can't imagine who would heard Disturbia and think that should have even gotten out of the building.
>>
>>122904447
That song has a lot more problems than just Rihanna sounding like her throat is being punched.
>>
it triggers me alot and i can't listen to alot of pop and hiphop cause of it. esp whats popular atm. if you do it just a bit (idk like pinkpanthress if we're talking modern) its ok, as long as your real voice isnt taken over by the pitch correction "robot voice"
>>
>>122904447
I hear it all the time in so many genres, and it always sounds bad, unless the singer is close enough to pitch that it wasn't even necessary (or unless it's obviously an effect). I remember hearing a newer Willy Nelson song and the autotune kicked in bad when he tried to reach a higher not (and apparently failed).
>>
>>122904405
even the bad 50s-60s pop never irritates me to the extent that bad 2000s-2010s pop does

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.