[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1721865478455412.png (59 KB, 850x1100)
59 KB
59 KB PNG
this shit has parallel fifths or nah? more so in the part after 2:30, the voices kinda blend together, but i haven't had ear training or learned how to read sheet music properly so i wanted to find outside info to confirm my suspicion.

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y6Nne8RvaA
>>
parallel 5ths are fine
you can't prove me wrong
>>
>>122912676
yes but you should be aware of it when composing. i want confirmation that i'm hearing it correctly like that climactic part is meant to be essentially one big voice
>>
>>122912676
Parallel fifths are the best harmony. Bring back organum.
>>
>music teacher wrote some notes by a hand
>1/8 and legato looks same
>>
File: 5437.jpg (71 KB, 720x469)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>122912610
The prohibition against parallel fifths applies only to exercises in strict counterpoint. In addition to the rule against parallel fifths, both fifths and fourths are treated as dissonances in strict counterpoint.
>>
>>122913052
>both fifths and fourths
isn't it ONLY fourths though?
>>
File: triple.png (27 KB, 1101x280)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
>>122913057
no because counterpoint should be invertible.

Fifths and fourths also sound empty. For this reason, more harmonious results are obtained when one treats only primes, octaves, thirds, and sixths as consonances.
>>
File: a2986450375_65.jpg (35 KB, 700x700)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
Can someone tell me about the music theory on this album? It has a unique sound unlike anything I've heard before
https://youtu.be/MH63Pvj9-ZE
>>
>>122913268
Just hearing a lot of jazz stuff with psychedelic production
>>
File: Untitle.png (31 KB, 1750x675)
31 KB
31 KB PNG
bump
>>
>>122913289
Anything in particular? I can tell the first song is in Bm but other than that I'm lost. I'm mainly trying to figure out the chord progressions or more generally what music theory techniques make this album sound like it does.
>>
>>122913362
what makes that album sound like it does is technology and music production techniques first and foremost
>>
>>122913437
Yeah the mixing/mastering sounds even more difficult to tackle I'm just wondering if there's anything musically unique about this album or if it's as simple as just learning more jazz theory
>>
>>122913489
Vaporwave/cyberfunk was greatly influenced by city pop which is an amalgam of jazz, funk and post-disco, so the jazz theory elements are aplenty. Think ii - V - I, tritone subs, chord extensions and all that shit
>mixing/mastering sounds even more difficult to tackle
mixing isn't that hard, just requires practice
mastering is a bitch without proper equipment and you're almost always better off delegating it to someone qualified
>>
>>122913517
The city pop influence is definitely apparent, especially when played at 45RPM. Any more cyberfunk recommendations? So far I've only found Televape, and their second album is the quintessential cyberfunk album. I'm not sure what exactly it's defining characteristics are though, or where the term even originates. I guess it'd be a purely electronic variant of synth funk with city pop and jazz fusion influence with, like you said, psychedelic and downtempo production.
>>
>>122913517
The mixing was done by telepath, he took Vaperror's original tracks and applied the vaporwave formula to them. The phaser effect is easy enough to reproduce but the clean, tight, punchy drums and crystal clear mixing seems harder. I understand the basics of mixing and mastering but when I try recreating this sound it just sounds like a jumbled overproduced mess. I think the trick is some sort of stereo widening or clever compression but I have yet to figure it out.
>>
>>122913517
Mastering is just fucking up the sound quality in an attempt to make it less terrible on phone/car speakers. You don't need it if your target audience has good equipment.
>>
>>122913678
what about for vinyl releases?
>>
File: 1713773053703357.jpg (43 KB, 400x400)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>122913678
>if your target audience has good equipment.
So almost never?
>>
>>122913689
You might need a bit of EQ there to compensate for the specific equipment used to cut it. It's the exact same problem as digital room correction, so there's software that can solve it automatically, no skill required.
>>
>>122913678
Pandering to audiophiles doesn't sound like a particularly good idea, unless that's specifically what you're aiming for.
>>
>>122913700
Also, if you have high dynamic range material, you actually do need mastering as in dynamic range reduction for vinyl because it can't handle as much as digital.
>>
File: 1000000457.jpg (490 KB, 1528x2288)
490 KB
490 KB JPG
>>122912610
I am wondering how to count time signatures. I don't want to dive into music theory itself because I want to keep it like a magic trick rather than truly knowing it all, if that makes sense. Anyway, I try to listen to simple sounding pop music and I can do the four count, I assume it is at least. Then I can listen to something that sounds like it has different timing and I can still count 4 and it makes sense in my head. Does BPM play into it? I know Meshuggah is all over the place, I just want to know when it actually switches rather than relying on my intuition.
>>
>>122913052
Not true. In music theory it is very helpful to think of techniques, not rules. So omitting parallel fifth and octaves is a technique to acquire a certain sound and it's helpful to know these rules when something sounds off.
As long as nothing sounds off there's no need to bother with it.
But if you write a brass section or music for a choir wrong parallels are likely to pop out.
It's like unintentional rhymes in a prosaic text, it just stands out in a bad way.
>>
>>122912610
I don't remember how to read non transposed parts sorry

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.