[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1091.jpg (127 KB, 700x850)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
How come people great at playing their instrument are usually terrible songwriters and people great at writing songs are usually bad at playing their instrument?
>>
>>122914136
different skills innit
>>
>>122914136
music theory limits your creativity
>>
Being technically proficient at an instrument doesn't require musical talent
>>
>>122914145
Some people that are really good at playing instruments don't know music theory though.
>>
Biafra is an interesting example. Dude never managed to learn the guitar however he just needed to hum for the songs to be crafted
>>
>>122914145
Exact opposite of reality.
>>
>>122914145
I'm not a theory guy but I never followed that idea. To me it's like how school works for some people and it doesn't for others.
>>
It's a question of mindest. People who get extremely good at their instrument usually enjoy trying to challenge themselves and to them there is excitement in reaching new technical heights. Because of that they tend to get bored fast if they don't get to play crazy things on their instrument constantly and will shun parts that are easy to play. If you ever watch a video of a guitar shredder covering some random song you'll often see them play these random shred phases that don't really fit because they get bored otherwise. They put their own instrument above all else, basically.

A good composer on the other hand has to balance difference sections and different instruments to create a unified whole with tension and release, and there are often situations where it's more beneficial to go for parts that are simple to play but serve the song/composition well. They put the composition first and will know when to go for something simple and when to go for something more technical. These things aren't mutually exclusive but in practice this is often the case. It's the difference between a good MUSICIAN and a monkey that can perform hand movements really fast.
>>
>>122914136
Because people who are good at their instrument make music that you personally don't like
>>
unironically because songwriting is a much harder skill to develop and learn than technical playing. you could spend a million years learning how to make songs and spending hours researching the greats, but if you have shit taste, you have shit taste. getting good at an instrument is simply a matter of time and good practice, but its hard for the same to apply to creative taste.
>>
>>122914136
Olympic skiing medalists usually aren’t bobsled medalists as well. Songwriting is about poetry. Music is about emotion. Good music doesn’t need lyrics. Good poetry doesn’t need music.
>>
>>122914136
pic unrelated
>>
>>122914898
>>122914898
>>122914898
this 100%
>>
Because typically technically proficient musicians are more interested in technical proficiency than song writing. Songwriters are typically learning just enough of an instrument to be able to play what they're writing.

>>122914145
I didn't know if you can even say most musicians know music theory. The only ones I know that do had formal education. Theory is also post hoc, you use it to describe what a song does after it is written not as instructions to write a song. You can write a song using concepts in theory to give you a direction to go in, but that doesn't tell you how to tie them together musically.
>>
>you are either this, or this…
Bugman way of thinking
>>
>>122914145
Certain guitarists who aren’t classically trained come up with new inventive riffs that shredders can’t. I’m an example of that.

Other examples:
Thurston Moore
Greg Anderson & Stephen O’Malley
Duane Denison
Helios Creed
Paul Leary
Norman Westberg
>>
>>122914136
Most great song writers are actually amazing at their instruments but know that wank doesn't make a good song
Rivers Cuomo was some shredder guitar guy but then he decided to make pop rock songs cause he knew pop rock sounds better than shreddy bullshit
>>
>>122914136
Great question OP. It’s like how Jimi Hendrix wrote no good songs.
>>
>>122914136
How come brain surgeons are usually terrible dermatologists?
>>
>>122914145
They hated him because he told them the truth
>>
>>122916422
>Im going to keep beating this dead horse and no one will stop me!
>>
>>122918268
Nothing gets by you, gumshoe.
>>
>>122914136
music theory is like selling your sovl for knowledge
>>
>>122914145
This is what people say to justify the fact that they're too lazy to learn basic theory. It in fact doesn't "interfere" with your beautiful, God given, natural creativity, special boy. That's like telling a poet that learning grammar and syntax and spelling will "stifle their creativity". If you learn music theory you'll make the same kind of music you would have made without it, but you'll make it faster and you'll have language ready to explain it to other people if you need to. Plus if you have some basic theory knowledge you can choose a concept that interests you and use it as a motif or jumping-off point for the creative process. If you refuse to learn theory you are ultimately limiting your range for no fucking reason.
>>
>>122914156
many of them are, and because they learned the instrument their own way they develop a more personal style rather than robots who spent 9 years noodling on the pentatonic scale
>>
>>122916256
>I’m an example of that.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.