[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: jimi-hendrix.jpg (713 KB, 2500x3510)
713 KB
713 KB JPG
Is there anything new to be done with the guitar besides endless effects wanking?
>>
>>123090316
Yeah, bashing you over the head with it. Hard.
>>
>>123090316
yeah but not by you
>>
File: microtonalguitar.jpg (126 KB, 1280x720)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>123090316
ENTER
>>
>>123090316
Absolutely you just need imagination, creativity and the skill/will/wherewithal to execute your vision. Sadly I only have imagination and creativity
>>
guitar is still one of the best sounding things in music. mogs 99% of synth sounds.
>>
File: 31a-1778832175.jpg (185 KB, 554x622)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
>>123090316
There are dozens upon dozens of chords, scales, time signatures etc. that nobody bothers to use.
The instrument isn't limited, people are.
>>
>>123091024
>>123090964
>>123091001
All true. Honestly the death of the guitar was, like the death of everything else in Western culture, entirely driven by cultural trends. Why bother learning an instrument when tech will replicate it for you, and every child born after 1980 has been taught to value big cars and conspicuous displays of wealth over knowledge, discipline and mastery? Its not just music, it's expertise in general - nobody admires the scientist, inventor or anthropologist. Unless they're a charlatan with celebrity branding like Elon Musk, knowledge is no longer power. Cult of personality is.
>>
>>123090932
sounds like shit though
>>
>>123091207
What you're talking about has been the case since the invention of mass media.
>>
>>123090316
How do you feel about something like that Polyphia band with that weird looking Asian man woman? I haven't heard a guitar sound like that, but it's absolutely soulless and not very good. Or something like Hella?
>>
>>123091315
Not really new if it's been done and copied by others.
>>
I haven't really seen anyone do romantic or impressionist music on the electric guitar. Only classical pastiches
>>
yeah of course but even then it's been 50-70 years of nothing but guitars, enough already. give me a harp a gamelan or a concrete mixer
>>
File: 1000010970.png (213 KB, 552x599)
213 KB
213 KB PNG
>>123091315
OP says there's nothing new to do with the guitar, meanwhile Hella's got a damn an egg shaker in his guitar, and contact mics to pick up the acoustics from the bridge and headstock. We've only begun to scratch the surface of the instrument.
>>
>>123091607
>besides endless effects wanking
>>
Mdou moctar is "new"
https://youtu.be/SaRrULfcDBk?si=C5PlwuIxVCRQffrK
>>
>>123091737
no
>>
>>123090316
No, not really.
The electric guitar has been in itself an experiment, it took a classical instrument and made it create new unexplored sounds through electricity effects.
An experiment can only last so long. Still impressive it almost lasted a century.
You need to stumble upon a new kind of dimension, that crosses one thing that's been overdone with a new factor that completely changes everything.

But I think it's the synth that killed any such avenue, with its endless possibilities of emulating any shade of sound. Simulation devices kill creativity, because you don't have a limitation to make you push through the challenge, you can't be primitive to yearn to polish yourself
>>
it doesn’t matter

you could make the worst and gayest sound in the world (like wilco and arcade fire and all that annoying shit) and some people will like it

you could make the most simple retarded trailer park rock like nickelback and disturbed and some people will like it

people are stupid and cultural trends and tastes are always illogical and unpredictable

maybe the next big thing will be a resurgence of pop punk, or maybe a return to “3 chords and the truth” country/folk songs

my point is that guitars are always going to be used to make sounds that some people like, whether or not those sounds have already been made, and therefore innovation is not the goal even if it does occur by accident sometimes

if you go to a bar and some kids are playing a cover of a song you enjoy, if they play it good enough you’re going to think “hell yeah” even if you’ve heard the exact same guitar sound a million times
>>
>>123090316
How about instead of looking forward you look backwards
>>
>>123092090
fuck the GHEYtar
play the lute or die
>>
what if instead playing guitar we all just agreed to save private ryan
>>
>>123090316
I have no idea, why the fuck are you asking me of all people? I don't even play guitar.
>>
File: theorbo.jpg (82 KB, 1280x720)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>123092177
For me, it's the theorbo
>>
>>123090316
Stop thinking of it as rock/jazz instrument and think of it as a sound generator, the possibilities are endless.
>>
>>123092227
Also, based.
>>
>>123091304
Which has really only been a thing here in Europe for 15-20 years. mass media infultrated American homes earlier, but it took longer to filter through to us. Even Greece refused to allow MacDonalds to open a single shop until last year. Parents used to encouraged financial savvy and common sense in kids. Most of our old school middle class and rich (not royalty) were very inconspicuous, labels and excessive American displays of wealth were vulgar unless you lived in Monte Carlo. And even as recently as the early 2000s, you'd never see a girl under 16 in make up or carrying designer bags, it was considered damaging to the skin and crass. You'd spend your money on going out or hobbies. But now all my 9 year old nieces and their friends are obsessed with top dollar cosmetics and junk 'lifestyle' products they've seen on tiktok. Shits basically done for, if you're not over 30, and its taken a lot of people by surprise because 2010 isn't all that long ago in the wider scheme of things. We haven't adjusted to the loss of our old customs and beliefs yet (and if you've been following the riots in the UK, well... secretly most of us are not happy about the Americanisation of Europe)
>>
"electric guitar" was a historical mistake and no good music was ever made on it. now we are starting to realize.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.