[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1000x1000.jpg (101 KB, 1000x1000)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
Production on metal and other genres that emphasize speed, technique, and ability can be artful but most of the time it's the equivalent of using photoshop to seem more attractive. It's fake, and it's false advertising. Techniques like sample replacement, use of drum triggers, recording separately, and punching in are ways that musicians create false representations of their capabilities and capacity to capture beauty in real time - which is arguably their only job. I want to return to a consideration of music as action and an event rather than exclusively as an abstract object. Music until the 20th century was always a physical phenomenon resulting to the extent that it was collaborative from physical, mental, and emotional interactions of craftsmen, amateurs, students, and teachers. Personally, in my own music, I want to go for a dry or even a non-electrified kind of sound to re-attach to what music actually is, but really what people ought to do is just think about thos and come to their own conclusions while keeping in mind not to "be swindle". Create with integrity rather than flaunting a false version of yourself for the rewards of being the equivalent of a clown with fake tits.
>>
>>123109371
I don't really care if they fake their skill, but faked metal is all brickwalled loudness war garbage. I'd like to hear modern studio trickery with 80s mastering. Only then can there be a fair comparison.
>>
>>123109517
How about this. Uses modern studio trickery to sound loud, but also more fucked up. This is what I would consider a creative and obvious use of production.
https://youtu.be/DAo6p1fls1Y?si=DKAKeRMdqmeT6MEm
Or, on a slightly less retarded note.
https://youtu.be/Pbnuc_3tDEA?si=YNCf6KFkvK_Ev6iM

My point with these is that there is something beyond "faking skill" or "faking cleanness/tightness" going on here.

https://youtu.be/DAo6p1fls1Y?si=DKAKeRMdqmeT6MEm
>>
>>123109371
What is the point of a drum trigger? I play the drums and I don't even know this Lol
>>
>>123109613
>How about this
>content loudness 13.5dB
That is in no way 80s mastering.
>>
>>123109643
It's so you can hit the drums softly to make it less tiring to play fast and have it sound like you're hitting them hard.
>>
>Another paragraph spergout from someone with no musical ability
>>
>>123109643
Instead of miking the drum, the trigger which attaches to the drum and connects to a module plays a sample, for example of a kick drum, so you can hit like a pussy on the fast stuff and still sound like Thor's hammer. But every hit sounds exactly the same and lacks any kind of natural bounce or variation in the volume.
>>123109647
Yeah, that's not what I meant. If you want something modern that has effects and a more classic sound, Agent Steel's latest might be of interest. I cant say anything about the mastering.
https://youtu.be/LOYp_qp_n14?si=e1tnVd_zezGpfAE1
>>123109759
I have some.
>>
>>123109913
>But every hit sounds exactly the same
Modern setups let you cycle through or randomize as many samples as you like.
>>
>>123109937
I figured as much as far as production goes. Is that the case as well for actual live setups? I guess if you really wanted to get the dynamics right you could use MIDI or just have it alternate hard/soft but fundamentally it is still about misrepresentation.
>>
Sample replacement is foundational to extreme metal. People used sampled drums in tons of classic metal records. And in the 90's it's everywhere. I know Alessis drum module kick sounds by heart and they're literally everywhere. Nothing wrong with it
>>
this sounds like massive cope
sorry that i cant exist 4 times at once and cant play all of the instruments simultaneously in my solo projects
>>
>>123110122
Just cause it's been going on for longer than you think I think it has been going on for doesn't mean it isn't fake.
>>123110142
If it's a solo project, that's a different situation, but fake shit has been normalized in general.
>>
>>123110178
The truth of the world is in the mind and far from physical labor
>>
>>123110192
I'm more of a matter realist.
>>
>>123109371
>artful
>stop reading there
>>
>>123110257
What do you want music to be like?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.