[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: KGATLW-9-2024.jpg (197 KB, 1000x667)
197 KB
197 KB JPG
How is there not a single King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard thread on here right now? Are y'all rarted? They are the best rock band doing it right now, full stop. They just wrapped up their first of two US tours for the year, and have released every single show's soundboard on Bandcamp for free. They livestreamed almost every show too, and will continue doing so for subsequent tours. If you haven't heard their 26 studio albums, or better still one of their live shows, do yourself a favor and go do that. Free soundboards: https://bootleggizzard.bandcamp.com/
Extensively updated fan site that can help navigate their album catalog, tour stats, etc: https://kglw.net/
Band's website (they distribute their own merch and discs): https://kinggizzardandthelizardwizard.com/
I recommend Gumboot Soup or Omnium Gatherum as starter albums, as they're kind of anthologies of the myriad genres the band tackles.
>>
>>123642185
Everything they play sounds exactly the same
>>
>>123642185
Gumboot was their last good album.
FFF was the last album they did with more than 2 good songs.
>>
>>123642185
not a bad band, not a great band, they are decent enough. Shit compared to the greats, good compared to this generations music. They get way too much hate on here. Purge the sperg.
>>
>>123642185
Thanks for the soundboards/bootleg site I didn't know they were putting those up too
>>
>>123642185
Are they a jam band? they play them. on the jam channel. they sound a little autistic
>>
>>123642690
This is a retarded take. What have you even listened to of theirs? They genre hop almost every album.
>>
fucking Australians with their meme music and ironic moustaches and mullets. rock is in a sorry state.
>>
>>123644731
They write about serious shit, they write about silly shit. They do in-depth prog suites and songs about vomiting robots and everything in between. And more to the point, they're being themselves and genuinely enjoy each other's company. Would you rather them be pretentious assholes? We're lucky to have a band like them keeping rock alive and doing it with such consistent energy and care.
>>
all of these guys should be put to death
>>
>>123645280
K den, what music do you like dipshit?
>>
>>123645396
phish
>>
>>123647130
phuck off, phalse phlagging phake phan
>>
>>123642185
>They are the best rock band doing it right now
No doubt, I wasn't big into them in the past but their recent tour has gotten me into them.
It's pretty cool watching a historic band in their prime.
>>
>>123642817
I feel like Fishies is one of my least favorite albums of theirs honestly, to each their own of course. I loved Rats Nest, but fell off KG - B3K. Hopped back on during their 3 album run in October of 22 before seeing them at Red Rocks, fell off in 23 when I couldn't afford to see them live, and now I'm all caught up with their albums and enjoy most all of them. Saw them twice this tour. Feeling the heart and soul and weirdness they put into their songs live while they're in their prime has really drove home how great these dudes are, and makes me appreciate the studio albums more. King Gizzard rules. I respect what they do and what they stand for, they're a bunch of real ones
>>
>>123642185
>How is there not a single King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard thread on here right now? Are y'all rarted? They are the best rock band doing it right now, full stop. They just wrapped up their first of two US tours for the year, and have released every single show's soundboard on Bandcamp for free. They livestreamed almost every show too, and will continue doing so for subsequent tours. If you haven't heard their 26 studio albums, or better still one of their live shows, do yourself a favor and go do that. Free soundboards: https://bootleggizzard.bandcamp.com/
>Extensively updated fan site that can help navigate their album catalog, tour stats, etc: https://kglw.net/
>Band's website (they distribute their own merch and discs): https://kinggizzardandthelizardwizard.com/
>I recommend Gumboot Soup or Omnium Gatherum as starter albums, as they're kind of anthologies of the myriad genres the band tackles.

Please stop your psychological warfare campaign directed personally against me. It's been established that King Gizzard haven't been good since 2017.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkSAsYjL54s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh-5FI21s6M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6v7kz8mQG4
>>
>>123642185
I only listened to one album of theirs, one with the ugly geometrical cover and it was so bad I had to throw up. That was the first time I actually left and album midway through more like 1/3 because wtf was that? Since then I avoid them like plague.
>>
>>123642185
only decent album is infest the rats nest and even then its lacking. political leftist tranny bands dont get my views. them and idles may be the bands i hate the most currently. sensiitive boys playing rock, faggots of the worst kind. also
>king reddit and the reddit cumslurpers
fuck outta here man
>>
>>123652711
You guys are such clones, it’s crazy.
Or you really all are that one phish guy, which makes more sense
>>
>>123650991
That's kind of metal if they made you literally throw up
>>
>>123650780
Have you seen them live / heard any of the live albums? I saw them in 2017, and 18, 19, 22, 24. They have really only gotten better. Their pandemic albums were a bit of a quality slump imo, but they're certainly back in full swing now studio-wise. Also, I like Amon Duul II
>>
>>123652711
I feel sorry for you, and I hope you find something/someone that helps purge the hate and anger from your heart
>>
>>123644690
They do that thing where a guitar or synth line matches the vocal melody exactly every single song. They never attempt to harmonize or do anything with it, and when they use this gimmick so much it does make them all sound the same
>>
File: IMG_7364.jpg (420 KB, 1284x1290)
420 KB
420 KB JPG
>>123642185
>rarted

It seems as though you’re the one who is “retarded”, turbo faggot.
>>
>>123642185
anon stop, we can't have generals based around good music on /mu/ in the year 2024. half the board needs to consist of kpop shit and celebrity gossip, and the other half is just shitposting.

btw the objectively correct top 5 Gizz albums are as follows:
>Nonagon
>FMB
>Omnium
>Changes
>PMDB

>>123642817
man you really love mediocrity, huh
>>
>>123642185
I dont mind them...but the best? lol come on bro.
>>
>>123642185
I kind of grew out of prog rock but have to admit that these guys are true to the spirit of early '70s prog.
>>
>>123653406
Please tell me what current band is doing rock better rn, I am curious. My ear is not super close to the ground on what else is out there, so I could be totally wrong
>>
>>123653034
Lol, I remember people complaining about that back in 2017. I feel like they've gotten better about that as time and albums have went on, but to your credit, I have to say their lack of harmonic complexity in that vein might just be their weakest point
>>
>>123653596
chat pile
>>
>>123653635
I'll check em out, thanks
>>
>>123642185
They're great, I love them, but I've always felt they're desperately trying to be this generations' Dead or Phish by putting out a shit ton of music every year. Sure, it's cool, but a lot of their albums sound rushed and inconsequential as a result of that. They truly have great moments, but if they took their time and released an album every two years or so they would be a generational band.
>>
>>123653750
Eh, I feel like they're just following their creative ebb and flow. Five albums one year, zero to one albums another year. They still kind of have that garagey DIY ethos too, so even though their production quality has improved, I feel like they're still releasing their music somewhat "hot" as an artistic decision. They continue to hone and develop songs live, and each night's performance is yet another expression of that song's energy. They're only getting tighter as musicians, so it's honestly a super cool thing to witness. Their approach is inspiring, honestly. Mad respect to finely-honed studio albums too, of course, but the Gizz way works for them
>>
>>123653861
that is dumb as hell, brother
>>
>>123653917
K, why?
>>
>>123653965
they are just shitting out records and that is bad
>>
File: IMG_0871.png (365 KB, 1080x804)
365 KB
365 KB PNG
>>123653246
>Paper Mache Dream Balloon
>>
>>123653976
But they're not just shitting them out, they put time and care into it all. They're just not going Donald Fagen sicko mode and neurotically fixating on 137 mixdown attempts of Babylon Sisters (that song rules, just a different approach). I think they've struck the balance between quality and time pretty well, honestly. Your mileage may vary, but they sure as hell aren't shitting out music like Buckethead
>>
>>123642185
Is this band just diet Mars Volta?
>>
I really liked Rat's Nest, besides Nonagon and Petrodragonic are there any similar albums in their discography?
>>
File: chart.png (1.76 MB, 1140x860)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB PNG
>>123642185
If they had only released these albums, what would their legacy be? Would they be considered a better or worse band?
>>
>>123653246
For me it's
>Polygondwanaland
>FMB
>Mind Fuzz
>Nonagon
>Petro
>>
>>123654061
Murder of the Universe scratches the metal itch for me too, if you can get down with the audiobook vibe
>>
>>123654070
way better, no question. The only really great release omitted from this pic is Laminated Denim.
>>
>>123654216
So they are worse because they released more music? That doesn't make any sense
>>
>>123642185
you are like 8-10 albums late for this. Please consider using reddit.
>>
>>123654230
>So they are worse because they released more music?
Yes. Countless bands have tarnished their legacies by releasing mediocre late career albums and diluting their live performances with shit nobody cares about. You can be a fan of a band without forcing yourself to think all their stuff is gold.
>>
>>123654333
What do you even mean? Never been a better time to be a fan of theirs than right now. They just keep getting better live, and we have their discography from 8-10 albums ago right alongside everything they've released since
>>
>>123654230
I know but people are so, so stupid
>>
>>123653246
>>123654092
It's gotta be
>Murder of the Universe
>FMB
>Infest the Rat's Nest
>Polygondwanaland

I have a hard time with the 5th though. Petro, Nonagon, Mind Fuzz, and Butterfly3K are all contenders
>>
>>123654349
Metallica never made a good album after 1989. That's different than King Gizzard releasing "smaller" more experimental albums between their main big ones
>>
>>123654429
What I mean is there are no threads because you are a late comer to King Gizz's talent
>>
>>123655072
Lmao, wrong. Have been following them since Mind Fuzz, and I made plenty of threads on them back in 2017 around the time of Murder/Sketches/Polygon. I don't come here as often anymore thankfully, but figured I'd check and see what discussions were popping yesterday. Mu's descent continues, but what else is new
>>
>>123653635
>>123653723
I checked em out, really not my thing. I like their lyrics, but are there any rock bands that have better than Gizz rn that have quality vocals?
>>
>>123655072
I was listening to Petrodragonic in 2012 you fucking poser
>>
>>123655234
high on fire
>>
Saw them live on this recent tour and it was fucking nuts. Really awesome show with a great crowd.
>>
flight b741 is one of the biggest dog shit albums of all time
>>
>>123642185
This was my favorite band back on 2017. The hype for every album while trying to piece the clues together was just something else. Glad I got to see them back in 2018.
>>
>>123658803
>the clues
?
>>
>>123658821
The “Gizzverse” was a big thing back when they dropped five albums in one year:
>Flying Microtonal Banana
>Murder of the Universe
>Sketches of Brunswick
>Polygondwanaland
>Gumboot Soup
>>
>>123653034
I honestly have no idea what the fuck you are talking about and I would hate to have this level of knowledge that it would stop me from enjoying music
>>
>>123654070
I like this but I would probably drop infest the rats nest for fishing for fishies and petro for changes, or even flight b741. I like those albums but I'm not really into metal.
>>
King Reddit and The Reddit Reddit
>>
>>123642690
they sure love the chorus-delay chain on them vocals but i wound say those sound exactly the same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBBOafCUC5k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pczVJvElyo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ptD_ooY174
>>
>>123659409
fuck, linked the cut off version of swan song, here is the proper one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_v_rpeSbAY
>>
>>123659217
Anything else?
>>
>>123658965
It just lends well to improving live. Robot stop into hot water, people vultures into lord of lightning, gaia into motor spirit, etc
>>
>>123654856
I was starting to think this in 2020 but PetroDragon is my favorite thing they've made period. And I REALLY liked quarters, polygondwanaland, and MotU.
>>
>>123652747
I've been at work all day, I'm just now seeing your thread
>>
>>123642185
I stopped listening to them after they started with the whole indian microtonal shit
>>
>>123653034
Eh Sabbath does that and they kick ass
>>123659077
Based retard
>>
>>123654349
I reckon they’re just havin fun with it mate.
>>
>>123658699
I think le risque and daily blues were good songs off that album
>>
>>123661418
Rats in the Sky and Antarctica have been stuck in my head a lot recently too. Hearing the songs evolve live over this tour has been fun
>>
>>123659634
I loved when they incorporated Masters of the Universe by Hawkwind into one of their sets. So fucking sick
>>
>>123655204
>>123655262
congrats! unfortunately I can't give you an upvote to boost your karma or give you le gold, so have a last (you) for being such a long time fan.
>>
i remember hearing Superposition for the first time while I was working and it legit made me happy for a bit at my shitty job. I dropped off from listening to the guys because I fell behind on their albums but i'll always love em for that
>>
>>123652895
I heard them in 2019, objectively speaking they were good but I didn't enjoy it because I think loud music just isn't for me. My hearing was diminished afterwards and I was standing way in the back with earplugs, but I guess this is just normal to everyone.
Since the pandemic their music has taken on this weird nu-pop quality as well as distracting lyrics and overly self-aware/ironic singing that's friggin annoying. It's even more pronounced in their live recordings so I can't listen to those.
Also I don't care for the IDPLMAL style songs at all, except for Iron Lung and a live version of Ice V. I had wanted them to try going in a jammy direction but not like this, the style is too arbitrary and monotonous (changing the riff every 8 bars ad infinitum). I've only listened to bits of their albums since Changes, but I do wanna check out Petro Draconic Apocalypse.
Sorry to be a negative nelly, I don't really like ripping on them but I feel it's an emperor with no clothes situation.
>>
>>123663083
Also the typical critiques on this board are super shallow, no one ever says why they dislike them, hurr durr reddit
>>
>>123663154
When I call a band reddit I'm either referring to safe, highly acclaimed acts whose fanbase thinks they are being alternative or out of the ordinary for listening to (Radiohead, Kendrick, Daft Punk, Queen) or pseudo-gimmick bands who utilise quirk and irreverence as part of their image (King Gizzard, Tally Hall, Bill Wurtz)
>>
I prefer porcupine tree since xbox is a god to me
>>
>>123663292
Where’s the fucking
>quirk and irreverence
in their metal? In their long jams?
It’s in your head, they’re really not Frank Zappa or Bonzo Dog Band.

No clue who those other 2 you mentioned are
>>
I wish this retarded phish fan would finally kill his last braincell with a nang
>>
all their albums are good you all just have shit taste
>>
File: 1714718586817576.png (418 KB, 1080x1088)
418 KB
418 KB PNG
>come to /mu/ and trudge thru the kpop shit for the first time in ages
>see thread dedicated to the one thing I've been obsessively listening to for two weeks
I came across PetroDragonic by complete accident and I absolutely adore it, but I haven't really found anything that hits quite as hard; I've seen a lot of people recommend the likes of Gojira but I can't stand when the singer sounds like a screaming whiny fucking faggot
Infest the Rats' Nests is also somewhat similar but not nearly good enough, I guess I prefer to constant droning vocals of Petro
>>
>>123663083
Hey, I appreciate the depth to your readout of them. They're not for everyone, and I respect you saying more than just "they're a leddit band"
>>
>>123665790
>but I can't stand when the singer sounds like a screaming whiny fucking faggot
Amen
Metal heads just can’t understand this
>>
>>123666207
and that’s like 99,998% of metal
>>
>>123666220
ngl you sound like a whiny faggot
>>
>>123666276
omg oh no you mean there are people on the internet judging me whatever will I do
>>
Just listened to the Red Rocks '22 run and was blown away. The setlists were so damn good, way better than anything I heard this tour. Really regretting not flying out to CO with my friend that year. PetroDragonic songs are great but the other new albums are such a stain on this recent tour.
>>
>>123665940
go back
>>
>>123668059
I was there for night three, holy shit man. It was so good. Work This Time etched permanent stank face onto me, what a legendary performance. There was a giant ass meteor that streaked above the stage after the set was over too. What a night...
>>
>>123665790
I'd recommend seeking out the live versions of Infest the Rat's Nest material, particularly from Red Rocks 22 or from this tour. I was at Cleveland this year, and the Superbug/Supercell combo was fucking gnarly. They speed it up and make it heavier, it's worth a try. Lord of Lightning from the Minneapolis show was quite heavy and choice too, but unsure how you'd like it. You can download all of their concert bootlegs for free on Bandcamp using that link in the OP
>>
>>123662894
That's cool :) Gumboot had some solid songs, and there's plenty of territory on there they could still mine in the future
>>
File: a3285875130_65.jpg (286 KB, 700x700)
286 KB
286 KB JPG
Do they actually jam good? I was thinking of marathoning this instead of checking out their discography.
>>
they have the worst fucking vocals ever and the music isn't nearly interesting enough to compensate. pure shit. could be ok if they hired a real singer. why the fuck anyone listens to them i can't understand it - you must have some kind of gay agenda.
>>
>>123670133
>vocals
faggot
>>
>>123669987
Good idea, most of their albums bore me but the material comes alive live
>>
>>123670133
Worst vocals ever? Okay hombre
>>
>>123669987
Can't go wrong with the Red Rocks 22 run, but the studio albums are great too
>>
>>123670176
the engineering sucks too and if vocals don't matter just stop wasting time doing them shittily lol
>>
accurate or bullshit
>>
>>123671161
Haven't listened to Live in Chicago but Red Rocks absolutely deserves to be among the great live albums
>>
>>123669987
They play a lot of songs throughout this set better than album versions
>>
>>123670731
Stop listening to music through $4 ear buds?
>>
>>123671584
Straight up, that shit rules. Cool that Fishmans is still on the top tho, pretty hard to beat that. Maybe an underdog, but Live in the Star Club by Jerry Lee Lewis is pretty damn up there too. Unbridled rock n roll straight into the veins
>>
I feel bad for people that can't enjoy unbridled creativity.
>>
>>123672930
Honestly
>>
>>123672211
I listen to their music on bose PC speakers and it sounds very bad
>>
>>123673124
haha this motherfucker bought bose lmao
>>
>>123673124
Which albums? Nonagon and Murder were both pretty murky, but Polygondwanaland, Gumboot Soup, Sketches, and many more sound great and clear. I have them in FLAC on my Sony Xperia, they sound fantastic. Same with the vinyl copies I have
>>
>>123642185
>y'all
>full stop
Didn't read any further. Die of cancer faggot
>>
>>123673226
Idk a bunch of them. At least 60%. I only like the new one.
>>
>>123673268
That's rude.
>>
>>123673295
They're a garage band in origin and kind of in spirit, so I guess crisp clarity isn't always on the top of their priority list. That said, the live mixing is usually great
>>
>>123653246

For me its
>Polygondwanaland
>Laminated Denim
>Based Paper Mache Dream Balloon Enjoyer
>Quarters!
>Murder of the Universe

Considered putting KG on here, but I find these to be more interesting
>>
>>123642185
I stopped listening to them regularly 4-5 years ago and they’ve released like a dozen more albums since then lmao
>>
>>123642185
Buy an ad.
>>
>>123668640
Yea I gave Rat Nest another try today and I've started to like it a lot more, albeit not quite as much as Petro (probably because I enjoy the latter's longer songs and overall themes a lot more)
>>
>>123665790
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPXObWXgvbw
>>
>>123674973
17 Kpop slop threads, but I should buy an ad to talk about good music I enjoy. Roger that boss
>>
File: sickofit2.png (1.16 MB, 1187x805)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB PNG
>>123680175
I hope every single anon that posts K-pop on /mu/ gets pushed into oncoming traffic. I say this with complete sincerity.
>>
>>123680552
>>123680175
Wait k-pop has music? Are there solos?
>>
Osees are better
>>
>>123681030
They wish
>>
>>123680732
Never
>>
>>123681030
Hard to say whose better but Osees will never have the same rabid fanbase as Gizzard because they operate under different touring models. Osees shows are more consistently good because they stick to a tight pool of songs but if you see one show in a tour you've heard 80% of what they're gonna play at the other shows. Gizz have tapped into the jam band model of having such a deep catalog to pull from that you never know what you're going to hear at a show and hardcore fans are compelled by FOMO to follow them on tour so they don't miss out on their favorite songs or "historic" bust outs/debuts.
>>
>>123681030
I could never get into them for whatever reason
>>
>>123681669
if you haven't seen them live, check out their Red Rocks set on youtube. John Dwyer's a fucking madman and his stage presence blows the fuck out of every member of Gizz combined.
>>
>>123681696
But is the music good?
>>
>>123683056
bro like they are the hip cool thing
It’s about the art hoes not the music
>>
>>123683056
how about you listen to the music and form your own opinion? Fucking hell.
>>
>>123683209
My point was that his main focus was on the singer being a "madman" instead of how the music sounded. Having watched several minutes of the referenced performance, I've decided that Osees make very boring music. Additionally, John Dwyer's stage presence did not impress me nor come close to 2019-era Stu
>>
Do they have an album as good as Petrodragon?
>>
>>123683463
They have several
>>
Worst band of the last 50 years, possibly of all time
>>
>>123683665
K den, why?
>>
>>123683719
He’s probably just call them reddit lol
>>
>>123683719
Reddit
>>
The Grateful Ned
>>
>>123684024
>t. reddit
>>
>>123642185
The official band of the vvhite rvce
>>
>>123678135
There's a live version of this that's nuts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRVE_-th1EI
>>
>>123684897
Great, now I want white rice.
>>
>>123686112
White rice is pretty cheap
>>
>>123684897
tetrachromancy
see what I can't see

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.