[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: nevercum.jpg (106 KB, 500x500)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
What if Nirvana hadn't disbanded and continued making music? Would they've returned to a more raw and underground sound, like on Bleach? Their last song, "You Know You're Right," is quite heavy, and it seems to me that the next hypothetical album could have been even grittier.
>>
>>123655083
Considering Kurt's mentality at the time, they probably would've gone for a darker sound like in You Know You're Right, yeah. But I also think he would've tried to add more elaborate in-studio arrangements to their music, inspired mostly by the Beatles (maybe Rubber Soul era?) and REM's Automatic for the People. You can get just a slight taste of that in some of In Utero and MTV Unplugged.
>>
>>123655083
>>123655112
Also, it's hard to judge based off one song, but you can tell his lyricism was changing a lot after Nevermind. You'll probably have more songs that are more unambiguously about certain topics, like YKYR and some of the In Utero songs (Scentless Apprentice) are.
>>
>>123655083
the most ballsy thing they could have done at the height of the "alternative" music boom they spearheaded would be to make an unironic glam-metal album a la Ratt, Poison, Motley Crue.
>>
>>123655139
this. as GNR began to fall apart, they should've courted Slash and convinced him to join Nirvana
>>
>>123655162
Slash offered to join the Stone Roses in the 90s, supposedly
>>
>>123655083
>Their last song, "You Know You're Right," is quite heavy, and it seems to me that the next hypothetical album could have been even grittier.
They were going for a more stripped-down sound that would have used more traditional instruments actually. Michael Stipe was working with them on getting the production together and Kurt was heavily influenced by the sound on Automatic for the People, Stipe's talked about it in interviews. You can hear more of the direction they were going for in Do Re Mi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSLH9nhvKLw
>>
>>123655190
do you have a link to any of those interviews with stipe?
>>
>>123655083
I think kurt wouldve started making seven minute piano ballads cause he had to do something new
>>
>>123655210
Looking for them, give me a minute because these were done in the mid-90s. Purportedly Automatic was found looping when they found Kurt's body though, according to some links google's kicking up.
>>
>>123655232
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QANVWOjnEzA
>>
>>123655210
>>123655255
Found this Newsweek article from 1994 after some digging, although IIRC he mentioned it in a few other places.
https://www.newsweek.com/everybody-hurts-sometime-188414

>Yeah, he talked a lot about what direction he was heading in. I mean, I know what the next Nirvana record was going to sound like. It was going to be very quiet and acoustic, with lots of stringed instruments. It was going to be an amazing f---ing record, and I'm a little bit angry at him for killing himself. He and I were going to record a trial run of the album, a demo tape. It was all set up. He had a plane ticket. He had a car picking him up. And at the last minute he called and said, "I can't come."
>>
>>123655432
Here's a video interview I found too, he mentions that the next album would have sounded something like their MTV Unplugged performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpBise6WwIo
>>
>>123655432
>>123655451
Thanks man, this is pretty interesting stuff. That would've been a good fucking album, I like both Nirvana and REM a lot.
>>
File: Moomin sad.jpg (92 KB, 1024x1024)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>123655432
>>123655451
That sounds fucking kino. We were actually fucking robbed, shit man.
>>
>>123655083
it would've sounded like creed
>>
>>123655432
>quiet and acoustic
Thank God he killed himself.
>>
>>123658356
this was an enjoyable and interesting thread for a second
>>
>>123655083
They would've gone in a shitty nu metal direction almost guaranteed. Kurt was a trend hopper at the end of the day and you know he would be into that sound
>>
>>123658622
this is retarded and shows you have little understanding of kurt cobain.
however, having said that, there is a part of me that wants to know what that would've sounded like.
>>
it just sucks that he killed himself. sucks really bad. Did we learn anything from that? seems like a mistake
>>
>>123658644
You Know You're Right is basically a fucking Godsmack song, they would've became foo fighters but with more buttrock kek
>>
>>123659595
stfu faggot
>>
>>123658622
retard
>>
Kurt had reached the limits of his bands sound he knew they were not capable of anything else
>>
>>123655083
You Know You're Right sounds a lot more like the material on Nevermind than Bleach.
>>
they would end up disbanded anyway somewhere around 2010s or smth
>>
>>123658204
That would've been a major improvement.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.