[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What are some bands you think are underrated? Maybe they were big back in the day but don't seem to have an outspoken fanbase anymore.

For me it's Crowded House. I know they had that massive hit in the 80s, but pretty much everything they did was great. Consistent albums with only one or 2 clunkers per. I think they have some of the best vocal melodies of the 80s. They just released a new album and it's close to their best work. Pretty great when that happens.

The Bee Gees are another example. Massively successful but they only seem to be a meme band now for their disco falsetto stuff. In reality these guys might be the most godtier pop craftsmen of all time. Every albums is full of great lyrics, harmonies, hooks and just godtier songs. One of the best 60s bands imo. Thoughts?
>>
i don't know how they rank among the indie/shoegaze/whatever scene they're tagged as since its not usually my genre but there's a band called Joy Formidable that are fun to listen to, they were in a Need For Speed game and it got me into them
>>
>>123662238
Neil Finn is a goddamn genius
>>
>>123662258
new zealand's own...
good music when you're on hold, trying to apply for neetbux
>>
>>123662238
good choices, anon. especially crowded house you never hear anybody talk about those guys
silkworm has its dedicated fanbase (even if they're still underrated in the grander scheme of things), but the offshoots of that band, namely mint mile and bottomless pit, are really really good. they are still carrying the initial band's mantra of heartfelt indie rock that is chock full of great playing and odd songwriting sensibilities. they're fantastic at letting their songs breathe and take shape in order to support the emotional weight brought forth by the lyrics/vocals. it's if heartland rock was made by actual bands who had a focus on interplay between its members instead of only focusing on the anthemic qualities of the genre. really dig that stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlQTeamC894
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJEBCss9jhk
Enablers are another super overlooked band. Their later catalogue gets snubbed for some reason despite people still going back to their first album, when their playing arguably got finer and less hung up on a gimmick. It's post-rock with spoken word noir vocals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ist2JJXle6s
>>
>>123662238
Crowded house sucks dick
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UecBR9h7Ls
another kiwi band
i think dad had a crush on the lead singer
>>
>>123662313
OP here thanks anon. Nice recs i really dig em. The guy's vocals are the worst part on first listen but they have this odd charm to em. I think they'll grow on me. The bottomless pit song was probably the biggest stand out

>>123662318
How so? Who do you think is underrated?
>>
>>123662474
>How so?
that guy attacks crowded house, prefab sprout and xtc in every thread that gets made about any of them
>>
>>123662600
>rent free
>>
>>123662600
Prefab is another one, although they are pretty well known these days in music niches. Even more so for xtc although i kinda think xtc is as big as they deserve. I don't see those whacky vocals connecting w the ladies
>>
>>123664878
Tbf they are really good. Took a while to grow on me bc i really hate anything that sounds like ska. But they are mad talented. Almost Ray Davies level songwriting too

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.