[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why doesn't Britain have any notable or great classical composers? It's a very large country, you think there'd be some. There should at least be a few in the 19th century, when Europe had Chopin and Wagner. But no, there's none. What's the deal? Are Brits just soulless or something? Where are the great British classical composers?
(And no, the token pricks like Edward Elgar, Vaughan Williams and Benjamin Britten are not good. Britten is pretty shit compared to what was going on across the pond.)
>>
>>123666567
probably too busy running a quarter of the world
>>
>not knowing about Purcell
>forgetting Handel chose to be British
nice b8 m8, I r8 8/8

but srsly, you're just showing your pleb taste. ever heard of Thomas Tallis? William Byrd? Henry Purcell? These guys were dropping fire centuries before your precious Chopin was even a twinkle in his dad's eye
>>
Aria
>>
Henry Purcell and Gustav Holst
>>
>>123666567
Their folk music was already God tier. It was so good Beethoven himself was impressed by the British music. He went as far as orchestrating some of them, Songs from the British Isles
>>
>>123666820
The fact you had to name Purcell twice tells me everything. Also, Tallis and Byrd are mediocre and Handel is German
>>
>>123667718
Haydn too
>>123667892
Tallis is great, and Handel is at least a little bit English—though this doesn't change the fact that Britain is an embarrassingly second-rate nation for composers.
>>
>>123667718
this and this is the major reason why made such great modern music and the major influence on on American music
>>
Peter Maxwell Davies and Gustav Holst (who everyone seems to forget is British) was pretty based, but the rest can be skipped.
>>
we're more of a folk music nation really
>>
>>123666567
They have a great choral tradition, if you care about that. Mostly Anglican, but some older Catholics like Byrd too.
>>
>>123666567
Brian's first symphony is a masterpiece with few rivals.
>>
>>123667892
Handel is as British as the king, m8
>>
>>123666567
Brian Frenneyhough and Daphnie Oram. Also like Progressive Rock,in terms of music though German Music was always more advanced than British shit.
>>
>>123671661
>the most instruments
>the best composer
>>
>>123666567
Brits had a great musical tradition prior to Handel and other foreign composers usurped their interests. Then, for about a century and a half, they produced no significant composers. But in the 20th century they did have quite a few. Do you dislike Delius and Holst too? Sure, they don't constitute a top pick for the musical nations of the world, but they're still great composers.
>>
>>123666567
Hey Anon, I'm the one who made the American thread you copied. I've noticed this before about the English too. Next we need to shit on the French, their meme shit like Debussy sucks ass.
>>
>>123667306
>Gustav Holst
This, The Planets FUCKS
>>
>>123666567
why does britain use an animal from africa as its mascot
>>
>>123674812
bc it looks cool, prophetically most of the lions in the world ended up living within the british empire for a time
>>
>>123666567
Are you the same guy who made this thread but about the USA? You seem to have an anti-anglo agenda, what's the deal here?
>>
>>123671661
lol
>>
>>123667892
Your mom's pussy is mediocre.
>>
>>123678084
Wrong, i've been in there.
>>
>>123676347
see >>123674499
>>
>>123679598
Oh alright. And Debussy is great.
>>
>>123679911
Nah that shit's gay desu
>>
>>123674812
there used to be lions in europe but white people arent retarded so instead of living in fear of being eaten they simply killed them all
>>
>>123666600
Probably this, but it's definitely not a good thing. I mean sure, they ruled like the biggest chunk of the world at one time, but what do they have to show for it? The lingua franca is English, yes, but that will change to some barely recognizable language or will be replaced by a different one altogether eventually. They've lost all that land, their country is an absolute degenerate and poor shithole, the culture/artefacts they borrowed/stole will eventually be returned or destroyed; they simply have absolutely nothing to show for it. Meanwhile nations like France, Germany, Italy, Austria etc., who took massive beatings throughout history, have an amazing culture (music) that will outlast everything. Their classical music is timeless and transcendental, whereas wars and empires are not.
>>
>>123666567
>Why doesn't Britain have any notable or great classical composers?
Retard.
>>
>>123666600
*ruining
>>
>>123666567
we are too based for gay composing

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.