[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Kinks-69-b.jpg (1.57 MB, 2598x1726)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB JPG
what's your favorite phase of The Kinks?
for me it's the Preservation era, with their brass band and chorals, and concept albums
>>
>>123667558
I only know a couple of songs from them. I tried listening to their first three albums and there was mixture of genuinely well-written songs and interesting lyrics among a lot of filler. When would you say they get really good?
>>
>>123667606
Arthur, Lola and Village Green are all really good
>>
>>123667558
The Kinks were a mediocre band who are mostly popular because they made shitty anglocentric rock music and fans think they were "screwed over" by Americans leading to a special snowflake syndrome for the people who have heard those couple of "obscure" anglocentric works.
>>
>>123667662
Cool, I'll check them out, thanks!
>>
Something Else. Summer of Love and these cheeky chaps making understated kitchen sink pop. Then Lola vs Powerman into Muswell Hillbillies.
>>
>>123667746
Yep, Face to Face and Something Else are Kinks kino of the highest order.
>>
>>123667662
that's peak Kinks as far as I'm concerned
their post Muswell Hillbillies is also great, but not as much
haven't come around to listening to their stuff from the 80s forwards though. How good is it?
>>
>>123667685
All flase

They have better melodies and better lyrics then their peers. That's why ppl like them
>>
>>123669789
Varies. Still some strong stuff on every album
>>
>>123670080
showbiz and percy and sleewalker misfits and low budget are underrated
>>
>>123667558
1. vgps
2. something else
3. arthur
4. face to face
5. lola
>>
>>123667558
The first 3 albums. After that it was show off pseudo-intellectual type stuff imho.
>>
For me it's the one where Ray Davies writes about being bri'ish and having tea with the Queen. Oh wait, that's their entire discography
>>
>>123667558
I like everybodys in show biz just because of the brass instrumentation and that old dixie sound, till death us do apart is also my fav songs by them
>>
>>123667606
Their Greatest Hits is legitimately their best record. Just get that.
>>
1. Arthur
2. Village Green
3. Something Else
4. Muswell Hillbillies
5. Powerman
>>
https://youtu.be/N_MqfF0WBsU
Perfection.
>>
File: DidntContribute.png (238 KB, 517x633)
238 KB
238 KB PNG
>>123667685
>>
I like the British Invasion years, myself.
>>
I love every single album from Face to Face to Muswell Hillbillies. I guess I'm basic, but to me it's one of the greatest runs in popular music, certainly the greatest of 60s rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr50_jly3-M

Also I found that people remember them as the "You really Got me band" and say the usual line (the pirst punk song, or the first heavy metal song) but tend to understate the impact that song had on the british rock bands. The Who and Rolling Stones owe their careers to the Kinks blowing the lid open to riotous rock tunes

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.