[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: FaustIVcover.jpg (40 KB, 301x300)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
I don't really like krautrock very much. I find it to be very overrated. I know the most popular/accessible bands are supposed to be CAN and NEU!, but I don't like them at all. I do moderately like Faust for some reason though, I'm not sure why.
Is krautrock just a meme?
>>
>>123670485
CAN have based riffs. That's most of what people mean by "accsessible" in this case I think. Same thing with Neu!. I'd reccomend checking out Gunther Shickert,The Second Mythos Album,German Oak,and Sand though if you feel that way. Maybe Agitation Free and Kraan aswell. Try Rufus Zuphall too.
>>
>>123670485
No, krautrock is not a meme. You just don't like it.
>>
>>123670485
no, its actually really good, but you have to get into it, which is not straight forward
>>
>>123670534
>>123670543
How do you feel about Faust? I'm not sure why that's the only one that has ever gripped me.
>>
>>123670485
Also no,CAN has a pretty intense following worldwide on par with The Grateful Dead or something. They just don't have the mainstream appeal bands from England and The Netherlands did (which is bizzare to think because it feels like retrospectively Nedderbeat is less remembered than Krautrock if anything but more of it actually saw US Release although CAN did have an American Following,just mostly through import and also smaller stations. Same with Kraan and same with Amon Düül ii.
>>
>>123670543
I feel like most CAN Fans got into Mother Sky,Sing Swan Song,or Paperhouse and then got into everything else from there.
>>
>>123670530
>>123670570
Oh god, I made a mistake mentioning CAN, didn't I?
>>
>>123670559
Faust is a TVU inspired german band who adquired a nice sound, too experimental at times for me. Faust IV is fantastic
>>
>>123670485
>Is krautrock just a meme?
No, Krautrock has existed since the 70's and has influenced at least the majority of your favorite bands. It's not a genre more than a wave of bands coming from Germany.
>>123670530
>CAN have based riffs
You know I never listened to Can for the riffs (which are very good), but for the vocals, drumming and atmosphere.
>>123670559
I also liked Faust the most. For me it was the electronics, fuzzyness of the guitar and general laidback feel in the tracks on Faust IV. Can shares some similarities in feel
>>
>>123670600
Yeah, I like the Velvet Underground a lot, so that's probably why I like it. I don't really like the overly psychedelic jam band shit of CAN or most krautrock.
>>
>>123670559
Straight up one of my all time favourite bands. Heven't listened to them in a while, though I'll relisten to Faust since I'm visiting Germany in a few days.
What I love the most about Faust is how they managed to write both batshit insane music, but also moments of pure, unadulterated beauty.
>>
>>123670604
Damo Suzaki is unironicalyl a fucking based vocalist. But yeah desu I do. Michael Krodil wad a beast. You can tell he wasn't a Zappa because Krodil actuslly could have been like Ted Nudgent or Jimi Henddix or some shit if he wanted. He didn't actually lack chops by any means and could play sound downright hard as fuck riffs when he wanted. Second half of Bring me Coffee or Tea and secondhalf of Mushroomhead unironically have some of what I would consider to be the heaviest guitar work ever recorded. Deadlock and Tango Whiskeyman are also wild from that perspective. His Riffs are like almost hard rock until he pulls away to do something "artsier" but it's always just enough to scratch that "guitar music" itch. I think CAN had a more balanced sound in someways if anything. Very varried. Very textural but rewarding. A band like Faust struggled more with finding the plot as much as I do like them,but CAN and Neu! are way better in this regard. So is Amon Düül ii overall even if some song like with CAN do have sporky "Zappaesque" moments which yeah are clearly heavily dated,but when CAN just went off and played their hearts out they were an absolute unit. Some of the more abstract or avant gaurde stuff is cool but the random yelling and funny sound effects bits on Tago Mago and I guess Egg Bymassi really haven't aged well and I feel like Faust had even more of that which is yk yeah. Faust had moments and I do see the issues many commentators on here have with "The Second Half of Tago Mago" (mostly Peeking O and Amun) but as pretentious as they were overall songwriting and presentation where two of CANs greatest strengths and Faust ESPECIALLY ON THE FIRST TWO ALBUMS suffer from an overall sense of "sporkyness" much more than they do. CAN dipped their toes in the spork but thankfully never fully embraced it. Amon Düül ii and Neu! and Mythos all have a much more definitive sound in my eyes which yk if I'm looking for in a German Band quite frankly.
>>
>>123670604
Hot take:it is a genre but it's basically just a subgenre of Psych Rock. Mullah and Ya Ho Wa 13 were also Krautrock Bands and debatably both Hawkwind and Magma.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.