[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Any oldfags left that still love the Olivias? Missing Bill Doss this evening
>>
Not actually listened to any OTC, but I've been wanting to since there's so many other Elephant 6 bands I love - where do you recommend starting?
>>
>>123675816
They only have two albums. Start at the first, Dusk at Cubist Castle - then check Black Foliage. Black Foliage is considered their best work! Amazing psychedelic record about dreams
>>
How do you pronounce Scott Spillane's last name
>>
>>123675871
Brilliant, I'll check 'em out! I thought they had put out more - I think Explanation II and some of their EPs threw me for a loop
>>
this post convinced me to finally listen to them and so far the first album is swell
>>
>>123675982
Nice
>>
>>123675816
E6 was great and I'm grateful to have another friend who appreciates it as it seems to be fading in anyone's memory of any kind of music movement but it had some classic stuff.

Anyone heard Major Organ ?
>>
>>123675787
All this millennial indie shit is garbage. Grow some testicles and listen to something like the Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin.
>>
>>123675926
Spill lane
>>
>>123676006
Dipshit I enjoy both bands as well as OTC. Kindly go back to whatever hole you crawled out of
>>
>>123675787
Black foliage is my favorite album of all time and will cullen hart is literally my hero,
I'd like to meet him IRL some day but he'd probably mutter something and then start making spaceship noises with his lips as his wife wheelchairs him away,
>>
>>123676222
I consider Dusk at Cubist Castle to be an equal achievement
>>
>>123675787
for me, it's black swan network
>>
>>123676021
nu-/mu/ is trying to erase all forms of music besides mainstream rock from 1960 to 2010
>>
>>123676234
that one part near the end of green typewriters (I think it's parts 7-8) is one of my favorite things I ever heard. That record is painfully underrated next to black foliage. Seeing this thread makes me happy, /mu/, I'm glad there are still people here who listen and appreciate this music and new listeners who are open to discovering it for the first time. One of my best memories ever from /mu/ was spontaneously listening to black foliage with another anon, we synced up our start times in a thread and 'screaming' (posting) the lyrics together as we went. Seeing this music still get love today warms my cold and shriveled oldfag heart.
>>
>>123678555
dis nigga sits in a vegan coffee shop with a typewriter fr fr
>>
>>123678576
lol, but I'd need to leave my house for that. And get a typewriter. I used to hang out and play vidya all day in coffee shops because my ex was adamant that we didn't get internet does that count?
>>
>>123675787
This album is a masterpiece in every sense of the word. If there is one album that has ever been recorded that accurately simulates the state of dreaming, it's this one. It is simultaneously fragmented and organic, foreign and familiar, ordered and chaotic, nonsensical and meticulously crafted.

It's difficult to describe the music itself. I imagine a strung-out Brian Wilson with more instruments, less money, and a lot of tape looping. The "traditional" songs alternate between straight Beatlesy pop/rock and trippy (I hate that word, but nothing else fits) neo-psychedelic suites. Like many of their labelmates, OTC's instrumentation is diverse; I hear accordion, theremin, and a music box, to rattle off a couple, along with the standard baroque pop arsenal (although this in no way resembles baroque pop). They are tied together by snippets, or "Combinations," of tape-looped noise, which echo band chatter, random noise, and snippets of songs, both previous and (oddly) future.

There is a leitmotif running through the album, the titular "Black Foliage." It takes the form of a four measure theme that is played in five different "Animations" by five different sets of instruments. It appears once midway through as "Itself"; an eerie but unrelated sounding number begins, and part of the way through the Black Foliage motif is played over top of it. I admit that I don't know what it means, but it's really worth listening to.

You'll either like 11-minute experimental sound track or you won't. There's no other way to spin it. If you hate that kind of thing, just skip it. If you appreciate "Moonchild," I'd argue that this is even cooler.
>>
File: smcs.jpg (211 KB, 1200x1200)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
Does anyone have a version of the Signal Morning coverart that can be used as a 16:9 background?
>>
File: circulatory system.jpg (179 KB, 1200x1200)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
don't forget to listen to this too it's on equal footing with Black Foliage and ITAOTS imo
>>
>>123675787
HILLTOP PROCESSION MOMENTUM GAIIIIINING
LA LA LA LAA LAA LAA LAA
>>
>>123679179
Seconding this.

All the Circulatory System albums are great though you may need to let them grow on you since they lack Doss' poppy influence so there's not many songs like Jumping Fences or Hideaway to immediately get hooked on. At first I only kind of liked them, but now I would also put s/t on the same level as Black Foliage, so stick with it!

>>123678617
I recognise this pasta.

I had a look on the /mu/ archives and like 90% of discussion of OTC occurs prior to 2016 which is kinda sad. Feels like /mu/core bands lost their influence but nothing really replaced them so there's just a void of discussion on the board now. It's nice to see a thread like this one.
>>
yeah I think I like this one more than cubist castle after listening to them both again last month. I really really adore the song 'I can smell the leaves' from CC though.
>>
>>123676002
Of course
https://youtu.be/Cl4K6FX6SZ4?si=LcMPpNXwzGqnjdlF
>>
for me, it's the ending to green typewriters
>>
>>123680040
When you're ready to come back down...
I'll be waiting here...
>>
>>123675787
Still my favorite album after all those years

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.