[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_1706.jpg (7 KB, 267x189)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
Why don’t you like Zappa again? His songs are great when you’re stoned.
>>
File: 1726241752446803.png (28 KB, 657x527)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
>>123685549
I like zappa, he's got some good stuff.
>>
>>123685549
le bloopity zim zam wowzaroo
>>
I like Frank Zappa.
He was a good songwriter/arranger/composer, had some very important things to say, and he's the reason why I'm a Conservative.
>He's BASED
>He's our guy
>>
>>123685549
Don't do drugs.
>>
>>123685549
He's made so much shit there's at least a little bit I like
>>
>>123685549
some good stuff but way too much stupid comedy rock
>>
his stuff with the Mothers is pretty good actually
>>
>>123685549
He was excellent up until Joe's Garage. Didn't adapt too well to the 80s, some really bad shit there like Man from Utopia and Thing-Fish. But those three albums from 1981 are good. Ship Arriving too Late has a good second side. Jazz From Hell is also good, as well as his final release while alive - The Yellow Shark. Posthumous Civilization Part III is also good.
>>
>>123685549
I don’t get stoned. And when I get drunk I already have Tom Waits.
>>
>>123687928
It's rather subjective, since I actually like Thingfish and man From Utopia, but I can understand people not liking Thingfish.
It's a bit daunting, and not for everybody, but I enjoyed it.
>>
>>123688042
I hate the production on The Man From Utopia, it's too loud and overproduced. It's an entire album of Valley Girl type songs, and I hate Valley Girl. Thing-Fish is a bit better in that regard but still not good. And the storyline isn't nearly as entertaining to me as Joe's Garage.
>>
>>123685549
been a degen stoner for 2 years and I still haven't listened to Zappa stoned. Listened to all of his major works when I was a sobertard. I find shit that's more focused on lots of textures and atmosphere (dub, techno, shoegaze, neo-psych, that psuedo space rock post rock stuff, hypnagogic stuff, etc) to be fun to listen to stoned, never really listened to any avant prog adjacent music stoned as far as I can recall.
>>
>>123688009
the only way you could tolerate that much commiefornia narcissism
>>
>>123688142
As far as MFU is concerned, you're entitled to your opinion, but I think it's GOAT, and extremely underrated. There are some great songs on it, IMHO. (Cocaine Decision, title track, Dangerous Kitchen, to name but three)

One major criticism I have about Thingfish is Frank Zappa tries to put out another conceptual album, or "Rock Opera" like Joe's Garage, but it's peppered with too many "In jokes" plus he ises songs that appeared on other albums, which, while the songs fit, makes me think he was too lazy to write new songs. (Mudd Club immediately comes to mind)
That's just my own personal opinion, though.
>>
>>123685549
Because he was inauthentic and insecure, very rarely allowing the music to exist without having to dress it up in jokes or xylophones.
Basically the Lou Reed take on him.

He was doing great shit with the little and grand wazoo bands, but then he mostly used them for artsy dissonant crap instead of the glorious grooves they could pull off, so of course the crowds didn't like that. But when they were cookin, they were cookin
>>
>>123686270
>modern conservatism
>zappa
kek
>>
>>123685549
He'd be a great musician in someone else's band. His stand up style vocal delivery gets old fast, which is why his best album is hot rats - he never opens his mouth
Too preoccupied with being clever rather than good or memorable. Great skill mostly wasted on insincere unfunny and unmemorable muzak

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.