[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Brass Monkey.gif (502 KB, 220x165)
502 KB
502 KB GIF
Anyone else notice that music recommendations given by either Spotify or YouTube's algorithm are ass nowadays, and have been for sometime, or is it just me? Regardless of their respective algorithms being shit, one of the ways I like to find new music is through mixes or playlists on YouTube. In years past I had found some pretty good recommendations that I otherwise wouldn't have gotten through my Spotify weekly playlist. It feels like it's pretty hard to find a worthwhile playlist nowadays since every other faggot is making such mixes and putting in loosely-related shit, or whatever's trending on TikTok regarding the genre. I keep getting shit like "Frutigger playlist" or "Shoegaze-type beat" shit recommended to me, and it's just basic-bitch normalfag shit like Sewersvlt or some other "breakcore" artist--kinda a retarded example, it's mostly DnB songs here and there--or shit like Wisp. TikTok niggas need to stop making these mixes NOW! I don't give a fuck about Zoomers getting into different genres; I'm not a faggot, but the niggas on TikTok go about it in such a niggerlicious way.
>>
>>123695035
zoomie who discover new music through playlists complains about zoomies who do exactly the same, lol.
>>
>>123695035
Maybe, and here is a novel idea, stop expecting youtube or spotify to do all the work for you and make an effort to find or discover music you genuinely enjoy and find interesting. Sometimes you hear a song at the mall, in the gas station, wherever and you can shazam it, but sometimes it is on you. Start with bands or artists you already enjoy, check their influences, what sort of genre they play, go down the rabbit hole. Maybe ask other /mu/tants what band sounds like this or more bands that sound like that.
>>
>>123695035
Algorithms were never good, you just grew up. Christ I miss blogs.
>>
>>123695035
kiss my ass. you WILL listen to my music and i WILL continue shoving it in your face. why? Because you have no free will. You are cattle pushed by the algorithm. Enjoy my music :)
>>
>>123695845
Should I start a blog, I feel like it gives u more clout than making a RYM list but no one would read it
>>
>>123696130
I'd read it, just for musical opinions. I suggest op ask other anons for their recs on music he's interested in.
>>
>>123695163
Hello, sir.
>>123695197
I already make an effort to do so. For example, with Shoegaze, I've followed along the charts anons have made listing different artists and where they stand in relation to other artists of the genre. Whenever I find a song I like, I try to listen to their entire discography, though with a few artists, they only had a handful of recordings which are a bit difficult to come by; they aren't immediately available on slsk--the faggots sharing it set it as [PRIVATE] for muh sekrit trades, so your only other option is through private trackers, or to try your luck with the Ruskis which sometimes have it but not always. Usually, the more obscure artists who put out one sole album are shared by smaller YouTube channels dedicated to sharing them.
>Maybe ask other /mu/tants what band sounds like this or more bands that sound like that.
/shugazi/ is kill thanks to /gookpop/ making the board move too fast, and making a thread for the sole purpose of asking for recommendations is a quick way to piss of the resident janny. I'd be better off doing so in /wsr/, but there'd be better engagement on /mu/.
>Sometimes you hear a song at the mall, in the gas station
I'm not interested in listening to that MKUltra white noise.
>>
>>123695845
>Algorithms were never good
They were ok-ish before everyone found out how to exploit it to shill their bullshit and make it their bitch. They might not've been perfect, but they absolutely went to shit around the time TikTok became popular. At least, with regards to music anyway.
>I miss blogs
There are a few Neocities blogs worth checking out. It's mostly the chan and hobby-related ones that are worthwhile. You have to wade through a pool of half-assed Zoomer-made frutigger/Y2K-themed pages however. It's best if someone directs you towards what you're looking for.
>>123695859
Nigga, can you not read? I recognize that the algorithm and its recommendations are ass for the most part, so I don't rely on them anymore since their recommendations are ass for the most part. Your music is ass, and therefore I won't subject myself to it. It's simply that I can't just wander into a good recommendation anymore, I have to purposefully look for what I want; there is no spontaneity with finding songs of adjacent or different genres that I might like.
>You are cattle pushed by the algorithm
>implying you're any different
>>123696152
I don't give a shit what other anons like; everyone here is a pretentious faggot. I'd rather stumble onto something I like rather that go through recommendations other anons have given me.
>>
>>123696130
start a blog even if no one reads it. the best ones are the tiny ones you find in the depths of Google at 2 am while looking for a specific obscure album from 13 years ago you can't quite remember the name of.
>>
>>123696211
>There are a few Neocities blogs worth checking out.
Drop em
>>
File: THE GAME.png (685 KB, 1024x960)
685 KB
685 KB PNG
>>123696405
>Drop em
That's my line ;3

I have a few saved on my bookmarks, but I have them saved on a drive, and it'd be too much trouble to go through it, import them, and look for them. Some of them I got from the /g/-based sites article on the installgentoo wiki (I think it was from there, but I'm not sure), but it's down atm. The only one I know off the top of my head is this one: https://eldritchdata.neocities.org/

If you find a page you like, you can go through a rabbit hole of similar sites by checking out the webring they're a part of. There are a few sites like that discussed on the webring thread on a certain Lain-themed 4fag derivative.
>>
>>123695035
Randomly generatared artist names, randomly generated songs, this is the future of music
>>
>>123697810
randomly generated kino
>>
Stop getting spoonfed. Look around manually. You'll find lots of shitty music, but you'll also find good music that could actually surprise you.
>>
>>123695035
I don't think the algorithms have gotten worse, the more likely explanation is that there isn't an infinite amount of music out there that matches your taste just waiting to be discovered. So you consistently get shown you things you'll like early on but eventually the pool of unknown artists dries up and at that point you only get recommended "bad" music since there's nothing else.
>>
If you don't do this >>123699946 you should stick to your auto generated playlists because you don't actually care about music, which if fine but quit whining online.
>>
Do you niggas just not like to read?
>>
>>123700241
No your posts are just rambling nonsense
>>
>do you fellas just not like to sneed
>>
>now
>>
where do you find these mixes
>>
I cherry pick tracks from Spotify algorithms and sometimes even swap out suggestions with VIPs or remixes.
LLMs are another option, to seek out releases and compilations based around a certain vibe.

Not all algorithms will work; you may have to purchase vinyl or have connections to the industry to shape your tastes, but some of it can work if you use them to your advantage.
>>
>>123703446
I just get them recommended to me through YouTube's algorithm after listening to a few songs. I'd either get a mix recommended, or a song from a channel that posts song recommendations of the genre I like, which are either adjacent or entirely different to what I like, but still enjoyable. Like I said, back then I'd find some good recommendations, but nowadays it's all shit made by Zoomers comprised of whatever's trending on TikTok in the genre.

>LLMs are another option, to seek out releases and compilations based around a certain vibe
AI can't listen to music; it's can't process and enjoy music like we do. It's a language model, not an "AI", so shit that'd get recommended to you would be produced by other's shit tastes.
>purchase vinyl
No thanks, I'm not a fag.
>connections to the industry
Cool it with the anti-semetic remarks.
>>
Algorithims should never be your main source for finding new music, talk to a friend
/thread
>>
>>123695035
Not that surprising. Makes sense algorithm based recommendation systems boost meme music that got popular through algorithms on other sites like Youtube/Tiktok. The people that listen to TV Girl, Molchat Doma, Sewerslvt, Plantasia and so on fit in a broad easy to define box of weeaboo internet zoomer, so they all get shilled the same stuff
>>
b
>>
-itches ain't shit but hoe n' tricks

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.