[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 8265769_0_300320220328_2.jpg (263 KB, 1500x1000)
263 KB
263 KB JPG
Why not take the boatpill?
>>
>>1922251
Pretty expensive
>>
>>1922256
You can get a used sailboat like picrel used for $3k. It's really not expensive.
>>
>>1922257
Yeah where do you park it though
>>
I know 2 boat people.

One buys towns the way I buy a pair of socks. He doesn't have an "income" per se but let's just say he doesn't need to worry about money. He sails a couple of times a month, usually in competitive sanctioned events. He gives no signs he is i the "sailing lifestyle", he dresses shall we say not well, I guess because he's what the zoomers call "stealth wealth", and he has never even mentioned boats to me but I have heard about it from others.

The other earns about the same amount as I do, which is to say, low six figures. He does not own any towns. He had a cheap boat, which he would sail about once a year, and eventually just gave his boat away because it wasn't getting enough use. He wears nautical themed apparel and his home is plastered with boat stuff.

They're both cool but all this has shown me is that if I'm not able to throw around a gorillion dollars every 5 minutes like it's nothing, it ends up being more of a fashion thing you do to back up a certain way of dressing.
>>
>>1922259
You can get a permanent mooring buoy installed out in the water (this is perfectly legal as long as it's far out enough) and just sail to and from land using a little dinghy.
>>
>>1922261
Okay so you met 2 sailing archetypes, but you haven't met the "homeless hermit who lives on a 50 year old boat" type. It's a land of welfare and mental illness. They're all over the marina.
If they can do it, why not you?
>>
>>1922266
Honestly I took a liking to maritime stuff and would love to learn to drive a boat but I dont live next to the sea
>>
>>1922269
Sell all your belongings and become Captain Jack Sparrow.
>>
>>1922270
I am happy just shipspotting from time to time and maybe going on a ferry it's cool
>>
>>1922251
Maybe someone can help, I want to kayak first >>>1922253
>>
>>1922283
OP here. Fuck kayaks and fuck you.
>>
>>1922285
Wtf is the wrong with you? I honestly cant afford a boat and I just want to be on the water, play a little music, drink some brewskies
>>
>>1922251
Landlocked
>>
>>1922286
>gets told to fuck off
>"ummm sweaty, wtf is wrong with you?? That's hurtful and problematic, who hurt you??? Maybe try being a heckin decent human being for once???"
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>1922289
This is why people dont get into boating
>>
>>1922290
Yeah my friend went to the marina and asked some sailors whether there were boats for sale, she was called a redditor and they mimicked her speech patterns. It's an epidemic that is literally preventing people from getting into boating.
>>
>>1922293
There's an epedemic of: you
>>
>>1922264
*joggers steal your dinghy*
nothing personnel kid
>>
>>1922283
post in /out/ and fuck off
>>
>>1922339
Just get another one for like $30 on facebook marketplace. Little paddle boats are literally junk.
>>
>>1922264
OK where do I put the dinghy.
>>
Im too attached to my record collection to give it up and live on a boat
>>
>>1922341
post $30 dinghies and hand
>>
>>1922261
>it ends up being more of a fashion thing you do to back up a certain way of dressing.
lol that doesn't just apply to just boats but to men who don't do and just larp.
>>
>>1922266
I talked to a few illegal anchor-outs in sausalito and they really are all mentally ill to varying degrees. They claim to love living on the sea but they're just schizos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnbpLcH59lI
>>
>>1922257
3k is the initial investment. If you're serious about using it you're likely going to need to shell out over double that to keep the boat in reasonable condition. Most boats aren't used often and so need much refreshed and repaired. Cheap boats are cheap for a reason. Everything is a wear item.
>sails
Likely need patches and repairs or outright replacing
>rigging
Consider corrosion damage to fittings and check rig tension. Replacement requires removing from the water and a crane to lift mast out
>engine
Assuming it's not 2 decades old it'll need regular servicing else replacing. If it's got stale fuel you'll need to clean out the fuel system.
>electronics
Usually ancient and non functional - replacement
Either you have enough time to fix all this or you pay a shop enough money to have bought a tidy boat to begin with. If you want to sail a yacht for cheap go to a sailing club and write a post-it note with your phone number "crew looking for boat" on the notice board. Boomers love that shit.
>>
>>1922678
literally me
the only thing I do is lie in front of a wall sized stereo and play proper records.
>>
I just finished my first round of sailing lessons, and am looking for a sailing dinghy as we speak.
>>
>>1922251
>Why not take the boatpill?

I would need to take 100 grams of dramamine to not get sick, but then I would pass out and sink.
>>
>>1922816
Anon stop being a drama queen, cheap sailboat is fine.
>sails
Nylon lasts a long time, no issues with mine
>rigging
Needs some upkeep yeah, but typically less than $100 per annum, I do it myself
>engine
It's a 4horse outboard yamaha, 20+ years old, works just fine and I can take it with me to the shop for service
>electronics
LOL, it doesn't have any, I do have. a set of battery powered nav lights just in case I stay late somewhere, but they are seldom used
>t. Owns a cheap sailboat
>>
All are welcome in my Kayak thread
>>>1922253
Way more popular than the "boating" thread lol
>>
>>1922657
You can get a permanent mooring buoy installed out in the water (this is perfectly legal as long as it's far out enough) and just sail to and from land using another little dinghy.
>>
>>1923935
kys fatty
>>
How long of a boat can I get if I have a 9000 pound weight budget? Anything that you can live aboard or coastal cruise with?
>>
>>1922251
I kinda want to but at the same time don't want to be stuck with something I'm clueless about.
>>
>>1922256
Boatmaxxing is affordable if you liveaboard.
>>
>>1925527
Yeah but I live inland, a kayak is better for me provided I lose the weight
>>
>>1922801
I've seen people like that too. They're all fucked up on drugs or mental problems. I'm surprised, you'd think rent-free living on the water would also appeal to hipster types.
>>
>>1925516
>weight budget
nigga what
>>
>>1922251
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nW5g8tjazg

Lots of maintenance on a boat, if you just want a boat to "sail sometimes", don't. As with most luxury items the REAL luxury is not being able to afford them but to be able to pay someone else for the upkeep.
>>
I live in a sailing community so I've worked on a lot of boats. They basically combine the worst maintenance problems of both houses and cars, and by the way your house/car is sitting in salt water 24/7.
>>
>>1925936
what is a "sailing community" anon?
>>
>>1926002
Probably a small ass town next to the coast where the local marina is the largest business.
>>
>>1922657
You can keep a dinghy and trailer at your home and just tow it with your car.
>>
>>1926060
kek
>>
File: IMG_3434.png (88 KB, 300x185)
88 KB
88 KB PNG
>>1926064
That was always the pitch at Ferrier: a big fast sailboat boat that you could pack up yourself, tow with a mid-size car, and park in a shed. They are NOT big enough to live in or sail around the world or anything but they seem to do that job reasonably well. If you don’t mind a ‘camping’ vibe and shitting in a bucket a multi-night coastal trip is very possible too.
>>
>>1925895
I have a truck that is rated to tow ~11,000 lbs
Triple axle boat trailers usually top out at about 2000 lbs
I don't want my boat to be stuck in a marina when I'm working on it, hence I'm looking for a pocket cruiser that comes in under 9000 lbs
>>
>>1926002
Wealthy town with a big harbor. Half the people here own sailboats and the rest of the boats are owned by people in neighboring towns.
>>
File: boat in pond.jpg (203 KB, 960x813)
203 KB
203 KB JPG
>>1922259
>>
>>1926060
I drive a corolla and live in an apartment.
>>
>>1923722
I did this exact thing and just brought a cheap yacht. Will post updates.
>>
File: IMG_3466.jpg (124 KB, 800x600)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
Being a real sailor with a real sail is still within reach for you. A windsurfer can ride on Corolla and hang in your living room no problem. Or if you want to crew on some multi-masted ship they’ll be glad to teach you as long as your ‘show up on time’ skills are well developed.
>>
>>1926688
windsurfing is not sailing reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
File: Siren_17_sailboat_5069(1).jpg (808 KB, 1594x2104)
808 KB
808 KB JPG
>>1926060
Trailer sailing is the best. No need to deal with anti-fouling bullshit and easy to work on. Pic mostly related, picked up a 1974 era Siren 17 a few years ago for 2500. Slapped a coat of topside paint on it, good to go. I can have it rigged up and in the water in 30 minutes singlehanded.

However, I'm often the only non-boomer in a sailboat on the lake.
>>
File: 20230627_144606.jpg (2.83 MB, 4000x3000)
2.83 MB
2.83 MB JPG
>>1926342
There she is. She needs a little work, but she's good for the price I payed.
>>
File: 20230627_135820.jpg (3.33 MB, 4000x3000)
3.33 MB
3.33 MB JPG
>>1926817
Last owner was a total hoarder. I think there'd something like 45 different spanners in the lockers.
>>
>>1926817
What are the specs, and how much did you pay?
>>
>>1926826
Snapdragon 747 from 1978, 24.5ft long
Recently serviced 15hp diesel engine, new standing rigging. The previous owner didn't sail and only motored it for fishing, so the running lines need replacement pretty soon since they haven't been cared for. All the sails look to be in decent condition apart from some corrosion on the mains eyelets. Roller reefing on the head, slab on the main. Comes with a Garmin wired in and linked to a sounder.
10gal diesel and 17gal water tanks. It also has a butane stove, grill and oven.
I payed 2700gbp (about 3100usd) plus 85 for the paint to redo the antifouling. Once I've got a few lifejackets and an inflatable kayack to use as a tender, total cost will come to around 3500gbp/4000usd.
I'm part of a local sailing club so get very cheap mooring and hard storage, so that is something that isn't a concern for me.
>>
File: assets.newatlas.com.jpg (83 KB, 1200x800)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
Too pricey and inconvenient. Live the better part of a day of driving from waters worth sailing, would need a huge ass towing setup or pay someone else for transport, or alternatively leave the boat at a marina halfway across the country, huge effort to maintain. If I ever wanna get into boats I'll probably stick to foldie + kayak for local rivers. Pull the kayak up the river with the bike, put it in the kayak, float back home, or the other way around.
>>
>>1926817
>>1926818
Those bilge keel sailboats are really cool. You almost never see them in the US and when you do they were made in England. Around here most anchorages are deep harbors rather than mud flats and river inlets like in the UK.
>>
>>1926096
Honest question to boaters, expecting honest answers: Why shit in a bucket when you can just shit over the railing when no one's looking?
>>
>>1922251
Boats are the enemy of water.
>>
>>1926857
Fecal coliform, which contaminates the waters and causes shellfish to be unsafe to consume. Once you're 25 miles offshore you can.
>>
>>1926855
They are common in the Midwest.
>>
>>1927201
wrong
>>
>>1922801
its so funny how out of touch Vice was at the end. glorifying the abhorrent conditions these fentanyl addicts and schizos (often both) live in like its some sort of cool counterculture lifestyle.
>do you ever feel conflicted about tearing apart this community
its literally a flotilla of trash, debris and drug addiciton. "community" gmfab. these are not even boats, they can't move under their own power. the fact it was ever tolerated in first place is shocking...though look at Portland, Seattle, LA, Oakland and you'll see roughly the same thing on land.

to somehow lump this shit in with liveaboards and people who care for their craft is stupid
>>
File: 1234298512.jpg (1.54 MB, 2268x3024)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
I lived next to False Creek Harbor in Vancouver for a number of years, and I started to get jealous of all the people simply anchored in the water that seemed to live there.
I wanted to get a cheap sailboat and park it there for use as a cottage, but a buddy shattered my dream when he said the Vancouver police will move you on after 3 days. I guess I never really paid attention to the boats and assumed they never moved.
>>
>>1926163
depressing
>>
>>1928266
You can still live aboard, just take her sailing every three days dumbass
>>
File: 1298753892.jpg (186 KB, 885x567)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
>>1928392
You misunderstand me, I thought I could simply drop anchor leave my boat there locked forever as free parking.
Keep in mind I see people daily living out there.
>>
>>1928266
>>1928430
I used to think the same thing when I lived in Van.
After some research I discovered there *are* people doing just that, but not in false creek. They anchor up by Deep Cove instead. And definitely around the Island - there's entire 'pirate' flotillas there.
>>
>>1922256
just make your own. and make it solar powered. pretty ez
>>
File: 212.jpg (91 KB, 400x300)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>1926839
That sounds awesome, sounds like a great find.
What will you use it for; daysailing, weekending or just a "home away from home"?

I sold my 34 ft monohull last year and bought a trimaran (Dragonfly 800). I'm having an amazing time so far sailing it, the light air performance is amazing, especially with the Code 0 and asymmetric spinnaker. I've decided to update the electrical system, mostly to learn more about it as it's something I'm not overly familiar with. I'm adding a solar panel, bluetooth charge controller and an inverter so I can charge my laptop and work from the boat.
>>
>>1928266
They stay there for weeks and months at a time.
>>
File: boat.jpg (323 KB, 2048x1536)
323 KB
323 KB JPG
I bought a little 3.7m RIB with a 20hp suzuki outboard. It's a lot of fun. I'm based on an estuary with 2 other large rivers converging on it.
It gets a bit choppy at times and there's lots of cargo ships but that makes it more fun to check them out.
The only downside is I'm harboured in a small fishing village that has tons of silt. The tide has to be over 3.7 meters for me to get out and I'm always on a time limit because if I don't get back maybe 2 hours after high tide I'm screwed.

One of my tubes has a slow puncture too which I tried to patch but it didn't work. I'm glad I bought it because I'm learning the ropes and basics using it but if I was to go back I wouldn't get a RIB unless I could afford big ass one with a centre console and lots of power.

picrel.
>>
>>1926817
>price I payed
....what was the price to seal it?
>>
>>1922251
I like flushing my toilet and then my excrements aren't for me to deal with anymore. I don't want to scoop up sheets of hard shit because some fucking pump breaks down
>>
>>1926817
>price I payed
I see what you did there
>>
>>1922251
Boring, expensive, time consuming.
Good for old people with too much money in their hand.
>>
>>1931767
>He doesn't shit directly overboard during a storm.

Ngmi
>>
File: 1494972670212.jpg (32 KB, 680x472)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
How do I learn how to sail?
>>
>>1922257
my vanguard 420 cost $1000 and i've maybe put $250 into it over 15 years of ownership

>>1922259
on the beach. white people in all white neighborhoods don't steal boats

>>1923834
yeah i gotta replace the halyards on my boat this year or next, not terrible, just annoying. maybe $100-150 for both assuming quality synthetic line

>>1931924
it's not that hard m8. just know where you are in relation to the wind, remember that steering is backwards (tiller left = boat right; becomes 2nd nature), and only jibe after you've mastered tacking or you will either capsize or hit your head
>>
>>1932015
>vanguard 420
all the ps2000 chads are laughing at you
>>
>>1932075
>chinaman's shitty off-spec club 420
no thank you, i'll enjoy my american-made boat
>>
>>1925516
>Bumping
Looks like 27-30 foot is about the max, any suggestions?
>>
>>1931824
A friend of mine gets sea sick but still likes boating so last time we went out he puked over the railing and it flew directly into the small open slot of the window where the toilet is.

That was impressive
>>
I'm looking for a sailboat that I can just roll into the water from shore, preferably should be light enough that I can handle it on shore by myself
should I just get a used laser or similar?
my shoreline is rocky and about a 2' drop into the water but I'm already kinda planning to throw together a set of pipes or boards that make a ramp into the lake, and maybe a cheap winch to get it out of the water
there's a few 14-16' 90's hobie catamarans for between 1-2k that seem decent
I have experience sailing, but have never purchased my own boat.

is there anything I should be avoiding? I already know to avoid/evaluate cored fiberglass
is there a brand/model/feature I should be looking for?
should I avoid the cheap 70's-80's all together?
>>
>>1925516
C&C 27
>>
>>1922259
Idk just drop the anchor somewhere
>>
>>1933266
Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>>1922264
I know one who did that and flagged it north korean.
>>
>>1922266
I know two who lives on the sea and just keeps on sailing around the world, one is 89 years old and I touched base with him last year. Wife died but he plans on just keep on going, not much else to do.
The other one is 65+ something and I haven't heard from him in a long time.
More sane than any one browsing a public forum for faggots for free.
>>
>>1923943
OK where do I put the second dinghy.
>>
>>1923834
>absolutely based
>>
>>1926839
>85 pounds for antifouling
holy shit mate, that's a great deal. its like 1k every 10 feet here in the USA. cheers!
>>
>>1926854
those aren't boats ya nonce. go out and actually explore. that's some goober shit you talk about, having a foodie and kayak. brotha
>>
>>1929347
Sexy boat bro. Love trimarans. Are you able to store stuff in the outer two hulls?
>>
>>1931632
Take your RIB to a person who patches them for a living. I have tried to patch a leak. It is not easy and will fail. A professional will always do better. Just keep filling it until you get it patched properly.
>>
>>1932015
>only 250 in 15 years
you're lying nigga
>>
>>1922816
>sails
No way around it, but boats 30ft and under are cheap to get new sails made.
>rigging
DIY. Once the steel rigging is shot switch to synthetic. Synthetic has many benefits in addition to being cheaper.
>engine
Rip it out, glass the hole, hang an outboard off the transom. Like 80% of engine expenses can be eliminated by having it out the water when not in use, and not having another hole in your hull.
>electronics
It takes 20 minutes to learn how to solder competently and USB-powered irons are really good these days. From zero electronics experience you could build a wiring diagram and spares inventory of your boat in maybe a couple days. It's not hard, you don't need to know how circuits actually work to fix them.
>>
can't deal with the maintenance hysteria, like the gel coat got a crack, so what, it's a fucking glass fiber hull and it's not going to rust.
Oh got to paint it anyway and clock the few hours the engine runs, because reasons!
So most boats just stay on land and decompose while some sorry sucker spends all his free time and money doing busy work.
>>
>>1937043
Thanks! Yeah tris are sweet.

Yeah they have hatches in them so I can store long, thin things or things that can deform to fit the hatch size of entry. There are storage areas that are like... 5 ft by 1,5 ft.

The only thing is that for performance reasons it's wise to keep the outer hulls light so I only use them to store fenders and sometimes the extra sails.
>>
File: BB.jpg (317 KB, 1440x1080)
317 KB
317 KB JPG
>>1937094
I agree wholeheartedly with this.
I'm >>1929347 and my mono had an inboard engine. Nothing but issues with it from the start (seizing through-hulls, clogged water intakes, shit in the diesel tank) and even though they were things I could handle myself with some googling, it was a big time sink and doing work to it always felt a bit uneasy since I was messing with something that ultimately was connected to three holes in the hull of the boat.
I was actually planning to either install an electric inboard and glass two of three holes or rip it all out, glass all the holes and put an outboard on it.
My criteria for my new boat was that it should have an outboard. It's all so much easier when you can just lift the engine off and get it in a nice working position. My other reasoning was that if I brick the thing and it's completely fucked, it's like $1k for a nice new one and literally 10 mins of work to remove the old one and install the new one whereas repowering an inboard engined boat is a lot more expensive and time-consuming.

My rigging is fine so far but I'll definitely be going for DIY dyneema when it's time to replace it. On my monohull I replaced the backstay adjuster with a dyneema purchase that I spliced myself which worked great.

On my trimaran I have relocated the battery and replaced the wire from it to the breaker panel. I have also wired in a solar panel with a controller and added a USB charging socket in the cockpit. No prior experience but it was very straightforward just looking at guides online. A tip is to check for campervan conversion guides as many of them had a lot of in-depth information. There are some differences of course, I used tinned wire since it's for a marine environment but the basics seem to be the same.

I agree on sails, new ones can be a daunting expense but most old dacron sails can be made to last for a very long time as long as they are kept out of the sun when moored or anchored.
>>
File: BB 2.jpg (280 KB, 1440x1080)
280 KB
280 KB JPG
>>1937094
>>1937780
For sails it's important to remember that there aren't just "dacron" and "laminate" or whatever, there are very different qualities of dacron (woven polyester) and laminate sails and so on.

A good set of dacron sails made by a reputable sailmaker with a skilled designer can work way better than low quality laminate sails, despite the hype surrounding laminate. They will also last much, much longer as long as they are kept out of the sun when anchored and moored. Also, the stitching in the sails will most likely need replacing long before the cloth does. Dacron sails can be kept going for a very long time with some small maintenance, and sometimes preventative maintenance is key. Always keep a sailmaker's palm, needles, sail tape and thread on board. If a small rip develops and you can repair it immediately, you may save yourself a lot of work and money than if you keep sailing with it and it gets worse.
>>
>>1922287
Rivers? Lakes?
>>
>>1937961
how do you boat on a fast moving river with big rocks
>>
>>1938536
Boat on a slow or non moving river
>>
>>1922251
>Why not take the boatpill?
Too much hassle. Just take a cold shower while tearing up $10 bills, it's basically the same thing (and probably less expensive).
>>
>>1939482
>Too much hassle. Just take a cold shower while tearing up $10 bills, it's basically the same thing (and probably less expensive).
This line never gets old, and I heard someone chime in with this line every time there is a conversation about sailing for the last 50 years.

When you say this you are admitting you live in a cold climate and can only sail half the year. You lack the brain power to realize that sailing is a type of recreation you do in warm climates.

You are admitting you are either too poor or too lazy to do something beyond sit in front of a tv all day. If youre rich and you can have a boat yard do all your maintenance work, then great. If your not rich and youre willing to put in some time, you can find an affordable boat and get it running affordably.
>>
>>1940487
>dude just live somewhere else
unbelievable advice, thank you anon
>>
>tfw I have a mooring spot in town, but it's too shallow for a sailboat

I know there are sailboats with shallow keel and moveable keel, but I assume they're shit.
>>
>>1938536
>>1940514
Your best bet is hydrojet propulsion, although fan powered boats can also work.

https://youtu.be/e5ClPTTKP3I

https://youtu.be/yvjtP_OnXB8
>>
Chartering yachts with the boys is pretty fun but it gets old because there are no women in this country.
>>
>>1941081
where are the big rocks
>>
>>1922259
Nigga, ever been to the ocean? Plenty of fucken space to park your boat
>>
>>1940965
They're okay as long as you don't expect them to behave the same as 1000lbs of lead 6 ft down. There's lots of perfectly good boats in the low 20 foot range with shallow bilge keels or swing keels. You shouldn't be going far offshore, and with swing keels any moving parts add maintenance and grounding a one when it's locked in place can do serious damage, but the performance can be perfectly respectable. Lots of people have Catalina 22s and similar and do light cruising on the coasts and stuff.
>>
>>1922256
Not even remotely compared to a house. Even on a 50 year old sailboat maintenance won't go over ~4k/yr.
>>
>>1922259
A mooring costs like $3k a year, compared to $24k a year for rent it's an incredible steal and you don't even need that if you know what you're doing.
>>1942938
Hurricane season though.
>>1940965
I'm more annoyed with my short rudder than shallow keel.
>>
>>1937094
>>engine
I actually use a cheap electric engine on mine. The thing itself was like $500 on Amazon, the expensive part was the batteries but now I can run toasters onboardd which is kind of cool.
>>
I would but I have a dog to take care of, and I don't think there's a good solution for a place where he can shit and piss.
>>
>>1922290
>Sport where you naturally fight with God in the form of weather and Ocean
>Mean people on 4chan are why people don't get into it
Lol.
>>
>>1938541
He's obviously in the highland part behind the fall line. Most states East of the Missisipi have a city (usually the capital) you can sail to from the Ocean via a lowland river or one that connects to the Great Lakes but the majority of the land is elevated and the rivers there aren't navigable without power (unless there's some trick I don't know but I've never seen a sailboat in those places.)
>>1925516
It's easier to see what's available on craigslist and then check sailboatdata.com. 9000 pounds is a lot though. What are you planning on carrying?
>>
>>1937781
Thanks, this is handy info
>as long as they are kept out of the sun when anchored and moored
Do you mean physically taking the sails off the boat and into inside storage or just putting one of those covers over them?
>>
>>1944091
I just put a cover on mine. I need to get a new one though the stupid birds have put some holes in it.
>>
>>1940487
The phrase "affordable boat" is an oxymoron.
>>
>>1922251
Landlocked into oblivion.
>>
>>1944687
Less so than "affordable housing" these days though.
Even a new 25 foot sailboat costs less than a 50 year old house in the middle of nowhere thanks to immigration and (formerly) cheap credit. If you think those aren't going to need expensive maintenance then you're not paying attention.
>>
>>1944908
Current housing costs are primarily due to heavy downzoning in cities starting in the 70s, coupled with very little new build projects relative to the actual economic growth and job growth in those cities. The over-pivot to literal neighborhood-level local control over new housing development is screwing most everyone born after 2000.

With regards to the boat though, it will be more expensive to maintain than the house unless you're living in a mudslide/wildfire/tornado zone. Masts, rigging, and sails are not cheap, and they get a lot more wear on them than a house does. There's more risk of weather or dumbasses fucking up your boat, even if you are on a lake. You also have to look at the cost of mooring somewhere or having a slip, not just the purchase cost of the boat.
>>
too much leg work
that's really it for me
I can keep looking at sea 24*7 even then I would want more
that's what I do on cruise trips
>>
>>1922251
I'd love to get into sailing but I don't have the money or space for even a dingy. I live pretty close to rivers and the water. Is renting sailboats a thing? Do you need a loicence?
>>
>>1945825
>Is renting sailboats a thing
yes, very common. Usually called Chartering for big ones and just renting for small ones. License depends, usually dinghies don't have legal license requirements, afaik most of the time small boats without motors are exempt from those kinds of things, but the rental place might want proof of competence for anything more than the cheapest dinghies or require you to take lessons with them or something depending on the kind of place it is.
>>
>>1925902
hot af
>>
File: sailwor.jpg (59 KB, 900x600)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
pump.
>>
>>1922251
been thinking of buying a nice pocket cruiser. Will probably check on a few boats later in the week.
>>
>>1922285
And once again there is proof. OP is truly a faggot.
>>
It's absurdly expensive and I have zero interest in dealing with hurricanes&tropical storms while on a fucking boat.
>>
File: 71RFLPFqx6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg (111 KB, 1500x895)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>1922251
soon
>>
>>1926854
now this is based
>>
File: Juliet.jpg (38 KB, 500x300)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>1922251
Yeah.
>>
>>1926718
It literally is though, its a boat powered by wind
>>
UK Yachters, how did you learn to sail?
Did you just hunt down a local yacht club or is there a good resource for finding tuition and getting accredited for international boating?

If I were to get into yachting I'd want to travel internationally, how does that effect the costs of the hobby?
>>
>>1944680
Do you hide fish in there or something?
>>
>>1936354
no xDDD what happened next?
>>
What youtube sailing channels does everyone follow?
>>
>>1958946
none, and I want the vagabondes to be brutally raped by feral AIDS niggers
>>
>>1922251
https://kunstler.com/podcast/kunstlercast-362-chatting-with-ray-jason-the-sea-gypsy-philosopher/

If it ever became a movement: glug glug.
>>
i am terrified by the thought of traveling over open water. i will not enter natural bodies of water. i do, however, enjoy swimming in well-maintained swimming pools.
>>
>>1959027
Amen.
>>
>>1958946
SV Delos and AlluringArctic
>>
>>1922259
if its like 30 ft or less and you have a yard/driveway then you can park it there
>>
>>1922257
you have no fucking clue.
>>
>>1922251
There's some boat homeless anchored outside one of my favorite parks
It's a very well protected bay though no storms. Pretty neat, they don't even need the marina a couple miles away and row to shore using dinghies.
>>
>>1922257
>What do you call a hole in the ocean you pour money into?
>A yacht
$3k just gets you the shovel
>>
>>1922251
I LOVE BOATS
>>
>>1922287
Gross
>>
>>1922251
Hijacking the thread. I've rented quite a few boats (sail, power)*. When it comes time to get checked out on the equipment, one thing they show me is the manual emergency bilge pump. Lose power and maybe you can keep it above water until fixed or help arrives. Inevitably, these pumps are all hand operated.

So, here I am, trying to steer a heading or operate the VHF and I've got to yank this lever back and forth by hand. Why no pedal operated bilge pumps? I'll put my spindly little legs against any Chad's biceps and probably put out more horsepower. And have my hands free. When I've asked, the only answer I get is "tradition". But why?

*If it flies, floats or fucks, rent it.
>>
>>1922257
>$3k
yeah with an infestation of barnacles, leaks, rusty rigs, sails falling apart from UV damage etc

you can get a cool catamaran for that price tho but it's not transportation it's just for fun
or a great windsurf for 1-2k
>>
>>1963419
3K USD will get you an older trailer sailer in okay shape pretty easily if you look around
I don't recognize the boat in OP but it's probably a little big to go for 3K without some serious condition issues but it's not that hard to find something like a Catalina 22 with a trailer for that much.
Yeah you're not going to be crossing oceans in it, it's not a blue water boat(unless you're crazy, people have done it) but they're great for coastal cruising and weekend trips and such.
>>
>>1963489
>okay shape
which doesn't mean much but yes if it's just to have fun here and there and bring the bitches to sail 3-5k will do the trick
>>
>>1933266
these are good boats.
>>
>>1922251
vans are way cheaper to live in but still expensive
>>
>>1922261
>One buys towns
explain? and how do i became like him?
>>
This thread gave me cancer.
>>
>>1965369
Real estate.
Buy a house
Do it again but rent out the old one
Do it again and rent out the old one
Do this until you have enough equity in homes you just point to one and the banks just roll it into your mortgage and you don't even need down payments anymore.
>>
>>1922283
I took the kayak pill, after years of sea kayaking I am switching to whitewater this spring
>>
I don't even like boats but I'm bumping this thread to save board culture

kill urbanists
>>
I've been watching a ton of videos of people doing short cruising in Trailer Sailers, it looks like a fantastic way to go boating and a lot less hassle/money than the 35-footer I have now. I'm seriously considering selling my big boat and buying something like this in maybe the 20-25 ft range.

It's like a step above camping but below big boat. You can take a ton of stuff with you but might not have standing headroom inside which is fine. Also really nice to be able to have the bed made always compared to camping.
>>
>>1922251
The ultimate moneysink
>>
File: marshall_isles_proas_lg.jpg (1.52 MB, 2864x2200)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
>>1973099
stfu
>>
File: tecla.jpg (52 KB, 1000x671)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>1973220
as seen here
https://classic-sailing.com/

1915, riveted steel, gaff ketch
>>
>>1945825
>>1950772
>>1958946
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y9-Idmh3xA
>>
>>1973099
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKbwNdes0SY
>>
>>1952905
Seats will break quickly, the plastic joining the seat to the backrest, this said for that price I got my money worth, great gateway kayak, you will outgrown it soon but it is worth it
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxtcR8rbj48
>>
>>1958946
gary Kerr
>>
>>1922251
I don't have the money and I need to find somebody to take me under their wing so I don't kill or make a fool of myself
>>
>>1940514
literally just live somewhere else
lol
faggot
>>
>>1953451
duuuuuuuude
sexy
>>
File: 376756786845.jpg (87 KB, 637x571)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
My Boatmaxxing Plan
by Anon

Fuck Alaska, it's cold and retarded
I'm moving to Tampa, or Port Charlotte, or Cape Coral (one of those greater bay areas, if anyone has a recommendation I'm game). For work I travel internationally for 3-5 weeks at a time, and then work from "home" for 3-5 weeks at a time. Home has to be USA and relatively cheap to fly out of.

I'm gonna buy a Gemini 105 MC or similar, and then anchorfag while I'm in the states. I'll either try starlink maratime or just rent an office on the mainland and take my dinghy to it. When I fly out I'll just rent a gated slip. I'll keep a truck and a motorcycle at a storage facility nearby.

I'll pay cash for the boat, and I'll be able to bank a couple hundred thousand over the next couple years. Once I'm cashed up and comfy and the boat is tip top, I'll kidnap my dream girl and impregnate her with several children over the course of 4 years cruising around the world. Kids will get bornt in the states, and we will still spend some time visiting family, but we will mostly be cruising for 4-5 years. Once the oldest kid is ready for school we will come out of retirement and join the workforce again until the little fuckers are out of school, and then do it all again until we die

This is a great plan in my brain but you faggots go ahead and tell me how to improve it
>>
>>1944956
Mast is an item you likely never replace unless you get mega unlucky, many boats out there with half century old aluminum masts that are just fine. Rigging is a once every two decade cost now that dyneema is a thing and is much cheaper now that you can do it yourself fairly easily without the need for swaging tools and expensive ass s/s wire. Sails last 5 years usually and easy enough to find good condition second hand ones from rich racing yuppies who unload theirs every year or two. Antifouling is also now a once every decade or two cost thanks to coppercote antifoul, more expensive upfront cost but no need to haul out every year or two to reapply ablatives. Mooring and slip costs are 0 because if you are living on the boat you are anchoring out everywhere. Once you put in the initial cost to get your boat in tidy shape, maintenance costs are surprisingly low. Living on a boat you can get shitloads of free food if you are willing to put in the work to go fishing and diving. You also forget to mention property taxes, most places worth living you are paying mid 4 figs if not 5 figs a year just for the privilege of owning a house. Oh and then housing insurance which is mandatory if you have a mortgage meanwhile there is zero need to insure your 20-40k boat beyond dirt cheap liability cover in case you bump into a richfags boat in the marina. Also no ongoing costs for power, gas and other utilities except for whatever your internet connection is.

Go read reports from shoestring sailors on cruiserforums, a lot of people are sailing the world on almost poverty money. People get fudded out of this lifestyle because of retarded boomers who have their boat sitting in an expensive ass marina 24/7, pay marine technicians 200/hr for basic maintenance and feel compelled to get the latest shiny raymarine gadgets, then they go and cry on the internet about how expensive it is, no fucking shit.
>>
>>1975975
More people get filtered by constant hassles of maintenance as much as the costs, maybe more so. I'm terms of sheer dollars, home is probably more expensive (eg mast vs roof) but only a liar will claim that a sailboat isn't massively more hassle and headaches year to year and month to month. The question is whether you want that lifestyle or not. The upsides are huge for those who love it.
>>
>>1976053
anon

you live in an apartment and you don’t know what you’re talking about.
>>
>>1976090
>projection
Looks to me like you're the one in an apartment living vicariously through people on cruiserforums.
>>
>>1976091
>any accusation based on my incorrect perception of reality must be projection!

redditor argument, go back.
cope, seethe, and pay your rent

owning a home is a fucking pain in the ass especially if you live up north

I hated plowing my driveway and shoveling my deck and plugging in my block heater and buying fuel oil and moving firewood 10 times

tending to rigging and sails and running gear is no more a hassle than cleaning or doing laundry
>>
>>1922251
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaZhnNlutuQ
>>
>>1976111
>firewood
So you lived in some snowflake rural house requiring far more work than even the average large house and think it's reasonable to compare to the most basic sailboat maintenance.
You show zero evidence of real sailing experience.
>>
>>1976090
Apartments have HVAC, sitting in an anchorage anywhere south of Maryland on the east coast and you'll be sweltering during the summer. Not to mention a lot of other things that are trivial living on land become huge hassles if you're bumming on anchor. For example, need groceries? Gotta dinghy to shore somewhere and have an Uber or friend take you to the store and back. Need fresh water? Gotta go to a marina and pay to fill your tanks back up, or get drums from a grocery store that you then have to dispose of. Your boat is also at much higher risk from storms than a typical house is, along with things like a through-hull going and potentially leaving you homeless. That happened to a houseboat at my club's marine, through-hull went in the middle of the night and the 40ft houseboat was underwater by the time the neighbors noticed.

You can make it work, and you can deal with blown out sails since you aren't racing, but if I've learned anything from the actual sailing channels its this: If you're actually sailing and not sitting at anchor, shit is going to constantly break and need replacing. Even if you can do your own maintenance, which for most considering the lifestyle because it's "cheaper" than getting a house is far from guaranteed, you're still paying a premium for boat parts. If instead you just plan to sit at anchor and never move at all, 90% chance your boat is going to turn into a garbage scow that can't actually move under its own power because algae/barnacles and salt buildup have frozen everything.
>>
>>1976383
it is better to drown in the ocean than to be subject to the 4chan home owners association
>>
>>1976111
why do flyovers think that apartment = rental and SFH = owner-occupied?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzNy7fNo-gI
>>
>>1976735
because it's true
>>
>>1978547
It's not.
>>
I just bought a 50-year old H-boat for 3K, very excited to do casual racing with it this summer. It's the most popular racing class here so there's quite a few opportunities for it. The sails are very old so I'll hopefully be able to cop some slightly newer (but still used) ones, don't want to invest triple the price of the boat in new sails just yet.
Going to try and avoid making it too much of a project since I still need to focus my major effort's on my family's sailboat, but that's definitely a cruiser and won't ever be used to race.
>>
>>1978571
it's true
>>
>>1978698
Condos are common.
You lose.
>>
>>1978725
commonly rented
>>
>>1978547
why are you retarded?
>>
>>1978751
So are SFHs
>>
>>1951433
i bought one. Main sail was old so sent it in for a new one to be made. already winterized so excited to get it out early in the spring
>>
>>1922816
>why haven't you taken the boatpill?
This post. Boats and ships are a literal money pit. Everything is always breaking all the time and trying to vacuum up your cash.
>>
File: 1307052.jpg (159 KB, 1681x832)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
behold, a perfect boat for beginners and veterans alike
>if you have access to a nice archipelago
cheap
very nice lines, close to the water
easy to handle, goes shallow
4 people can sleep in it comfortably
>>
How big a boat would I need to sail from Florida to the Bahamas and engage in piracy?
>>
>>1981825
https://www.core77.com/posts/109578/Guy-Builds-Gigantic-Floating-Hamster-Wheel-Tries-to-Walk-on-Water-from-Florida-to-NYC

this and an internet connection
>>
>>1976053
>home is probably more expensive
Not if you count by the square footage. I live in a pretty modest house, but a boat with three cabins, a couple heads, living room, kitchen, and enough of a hold to store two cars would be ostentatious for a Bond villain.
>>
>>1922251
Can I have an functioning muzzle loading cannon on my boat?
>>
>>1922251
I live in the middle of a steppe.
>>
I am, to an extent, currently buying a boat against my will (a 38' bayliner to be specific) to live in. I am a member of the yacht club, because the drinks are cheap and I spend a lot of time over there to see my friend; though, not long enough to technically be a liveaboard so I get to be a sneakaboard until I slip through some loophole.

I am not excited to downsize into living out of a postage stamp that is smaller than most hotel rooms I have stayed in.

Once the ~3 months of not-able-to-live-in-it renovations are done to a 5th wheel I bought, I am getting the fuck back on land.
>>
>>1982396
In international waters, sure.
>>
Why is fuel so expensive?
I was reading earlier today that people spend $100-250 easily on their boat engines purely in terms of fuel
I figure that it'd be cheaper because you can just cruise most of the way
>>
File: DSC_0005.jpg (356 KB, 1620x1080)
356 KB
356 KB JPG
Why aren't there any boats built like pic related but with a mast and rigging so you can sail in fair winds? I'm sure it won't be nearly as efficient as proper sailing yachts but I don't understand why there aren't more small boats that place their primary importance on comfort/ headroom with the ability to sail albeit not as efficiently. Is it just to do with keeping the weight low for the keel so a wind doesn't tip it over? But surely you could have the upper bits made of lightweight material.
>>
>>1982619
I'd guess that market is filled better by catamarans.
>>
File: MotorSailer.jpg (1.82 MB, 4214x2854)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB JPG
>>1982619
Motor sailer
>>
>>1982619
The more superstructure like that that you have, the more windage the boat has to deal with. So if you're trying to sail upwind, that's a lot of extra air drag fighting your sails. If you're on a beam reach, you're making more leeway. It also cuts into sail area, giving you less power for a given size of boat. Motor sailers do exist, but the tradeoffs in comfort aren't worth it IMO. Most '90s and later sailboats in the 30-35 foot range have good headroom and cabin layouts, the only advantage your pic has is the enclosed deck saloon.
>>
>>1982613
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot-bulb_engine

Another big attraction with the hot-bulb engine was its ability to run on a wide range of fuels. Even poorly combustible fuels could be used, since a combination of vaporiser and compression ignition meant that such fuels could be made to burn. The usual fuel was fuel oil, similar to modern-day diesel fuel, but natural gas, kerosene, crude oil, vegetable oil or creosote could also be used
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYeDsa4Tw0c
>>
>>1980715
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNFNlSp8hLw
>>
>>1982396
In the USA, as long as they're muzzle loading and black powder fired with solid shot. Explosive shells require a tax stamp for each explosive round ($$$).
>>
>>1926163
having spent many days at sea, I cannot express in words how sad that image makes me
"prison" comes to mind
>>
>>1922251
unless you are a billionaire living on a boat is worse than living in a motorhome
>well what about just owning one and taking it out for the weekend
what a fucking hassel
no thanks
everyone i have seen who is not extremely rich who owns a boat just has it sit in their driveway 99% of the time.
and then by the time they get around to using it its half rotted away and needs a full clean and repair.
and then 10 years after they bought it they sell it for less than half the price and they only really used it 3 times.
>>
File: 1650480456073.gif (230 KB, 112x112)
230 KB
230 KB GIF
>>1922287
>>
>>1985656
>The two happiest days in a boat owner's life are the day he buys it and the day he sells it
>>
>>1982906
>The more superstructure like that that you have, the more windage the boat has to deal with. So if you're trying to sail upwind, that's a lot of extra air drag fighting your sails.
Ah I hadn't thought of that, interesting thank you
>>
File: 1000008536.jpg (604 KB, 1600x1200)
604 KB
604 KB JPG
Where I live there several large canals with boats functioning as busses. You get downtown in half the time as the bus or driving since there's no traffic so people often commute to the city on it everyday.
>>
Sailboat / boatlifemaxxer here. We have to be believers. People do it all the time. It takes a lot but gives a lot back. Im almost ready to move onboard but im overhauling the interior now.

>>1958946
Canice Bannon on dutch barge uk canal touring and lots and lots of welding. Sailing Wildling in Amsterdam quite close to me actually. Sailing Kittiwake is my all time favorite.

>>1975567
where from bro
>>
File: Euronaut_surface.jpg (81 KB, 940x319)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>ywn have a personal diesel-electric submarine to explore the world and the depths in
Nothing else in my life matters. I crave the adventure and freedom that such a remarkable craft can bring.
>>
>>1990457
>>>2708948
crossover
>>
>>2708948
don of a bitch
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzFr5PNE5pE
>>
>>1938536
kayaking is great fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF5lUcQDiio
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94jABJjpDrc
>>
>>1982619
>>1982853
Motor sailors are terrible motor boats and terrible sailboats. Just pick one.
>>
>>1994032
what's the difference between a motor sailor and sailboat with a motor? Every boat above 25' or so seems to have a big inboard anyway
>>
>>1994112
Usually superstructure looks more like a trawler, and sticks up farther from the hull. This is an issue for actually sailing >>1982906. Motor-sailers will usually often have a more powerful one engine than a dedicated sailboat since they expect to spend more time motoring.
>>
>>1932015
i almost capsize when i was in the academy with a captain professor. wind is no joke

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.