[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: bikelanes.jpg (660 KB, 1502x1354)
660 KB
660 KB JPG
What does /n/ think of tomorrow's upgraded, more inclusive bike lanes? Cagetrolls will hate this, but I for one think it is perfectly reasonable for bike lanes to be open to any vehicle that doesn't have an ICE or require a Class A CDL to operate legally. What's the point of bike lanes if nobody is going to use them!??!?
>>
>>1949121
Stick em in the car lane.
If it's "good enough" for cyclists, it's good enough for a 500 lb electric vehicle traveling 20 mph.
>>
>>1949122
Actually 500lb refers to the load capacity. The bicycle and the cyclist are measured separately.
>>
putting cars in the bike lane is the only way to get drivers to respect bike lanes
>>
>>1949121
About damn time, the old trucks block up so much space because their drivers are too retarded to park properly and the exhausts shit up the air
>>
>>1949129
So what else than cagers prosecution complex stops going with those fuckugly appliances on the actual road?
Oh yeah i shouldn't have forgotten about corporate lobbyists who just aim to give the delivery services a nice empty private highways for their electric deliveries (all funded with taxpayer money)
>>
>>1949133
So what else? The fuckhuge size of the delivery vans causes safety issues by blocking sight lines, sometimes they even block visibility of stop signs. I almost got t-boned by an suv at full speed because a stupid delivery truck's only parking spot was right at the corner of an intersection, blocking visibility and a stop sign.
>>
>>1949137
Ditch the fixie and get a bike with brakes. Stopping for a stop sign isn't actually as crazy as it sounds if you're not allergic to pedaling
>>
KEK my ass. Also bike lanes are stupid and dangerous to cyclist anyways.
>>
>>1949140
>can't see stop sign
>"bruh just stop at the stop sign"
the issue is visibility
>>
>>1949137
>i can't see the sign so i must blast through the junction at 40 mph
a shame that you didn't get killed
>>
The dude IN the 'bike' is unironically wearing a helmet to help his corporate overlords make belief games.
>>
>>1949121
>If this proposal passes, there is no doubt this will end in dead cyclists.
Based, how can I support whatever initiative this is?
>>
>>1949184
To be fair, helmets should be normalized, even for walking, especially for walking
>>
>>1949122
Fpbp
>>
>>1949121
Slowly turning those bikes into trucks, corps and consoomers just can't help themselves, history's stuck in a cycle
>>
>>1949196
Joking ? Helmets are cripple generators and a perfect example of '...but the clothes the victim was(nt) wearing...'.
>>
>>1949914
>>>/reddit
>>
>>1949916
>>>/o/
>>
>>1949121
Woah... Seems like we need to make bike lanes of reasonable width now
Doubling it seems like a good start
>>
>>1949121
Multimodal, mixed-use streets are the past and the future. Segregating different transportation to different lanes is always going to not only piss people off but also be a shitty use of space.

This dumbassery is a result of the cognitive dissonance that happens when complete streets buffoons come into contact with limited space and new modes of transport that don't meet system requirements. You either make shit like these golf carts illegal or categorize them with bikes, which are obviously totally different.

Just do away with all lanes and make the road into an environment where parking is prohibited everywhere regardless of the reason, slow vehicles keep left, lower speed limits and blend all traffic together.

This sounds chaotic but it works well in practice.
>>
don't care, I don't live in America and I ride on the pavement whenever wherever I please
>>
>>1952486
I've been ruminating on that idea too. Instead of full separation, use modal filtering to create designs that encourage traffic to move at a gradient of speeds for each lane.
>Slow-speed lane targeting at pedestrian-traffic and mobility devices, use textured surfaces and streetscaping to make it uncomfortable for bicycles to whip through at 20 km/h
>Mid-speed lane targeting bicycles, scooters, and possibly loading/unloading spaces, use barriers like planters at regular intervals to prevent car-size traffic from using it for passing
>Higher-speed vehicle lane, but still need to accommodate bicycles and other vehicles navigating around obstacles, create an unobstructed space about 2 NARROW lanes wide but without a central median line separating opposing directions
>Everything at the same grade, or at most very minimal sloped grading between them, so traffic in each zone can migrate to a slower/faster zone for momentary maneuvers like around an unloading vehicle or to allow emergency vehicles to pass
But I'm not confident enough in the concept to put it forward. For example, I strong feel you need a design-driven solution to prevent illegal parking, but I'm not sure what the design-based solution is to create a medium-speed lane that vehicles can momentarily duck into that can't or don't want to use for parking.
>>
>>1949121
I'm for it. The quote
>“If this proposal passes, there is no doubt this will end in dead cyclists.”
is what sold me. Anything that results in those traffic blocking double faggots dying is good by me
>>
>>1949121
they look based ive seen alot of vehicles like this in london
>>
>>1949156
what?
>>
>>1949156
explain this braindead take
>>
>>1952876
nta but they encourage cagers to think of roads in terms of "bike lanes" and "not for bike lanes" and consequently riders who venture outside of the gentrified urbanist meme neighborhoods are at increased risk because by implication they are riding where they're not allowed

bike lanes are an invention by cagers to tell people on bikes what they're allowed/not allowed to do, thus overstepping the laws as written and creating a vague and capricious system where the cyclist can more readily be blamed for his own death

bike lanes are anti bike and the people who push them are, willingly or not, working against the rights and safety of people who choose not to get around by car
>>
>>1954601
>>1952876
oh sorry forgot to add, "muh meds schizo", too late already took 'em, next NPC redditoid take please
>>
>>1954601
We should tax bikes so they can help pay for the bike lanes. And because cyclists keep getting in accidents we need a licensing system, for your safety.
>>
>>1954636
Shut up fagtard
>>
File: file.jpg (144 KB, 1000x563)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>>1954601
>>1949156
oh it's you john forester, I thought you were dead? it's not the 1950s anymore and there are more countries than america, turns out there's this thing called seperated and protected bike infrastructure that should be the standard
>>
File: 71FEdzb4hEL.jpg (175 KB, 685x1024)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
>>1954674
oh hi it's you batavophile collaborationist. it is indeed not the 50s anymore. logically, "but" is the same thing as "and", unfortunately you "separate but equal" segregationists didn't get the memo and interpreted it as either "not" or "or" (the outcome was the same: infrastructure for cages, and nothing for the rest of us)

segregation is anti-bike and resistance is every cyclist's moral obligation. fuck bike lanes, and fuck segregation. roads are for bicycles
>>
>>1954677
Fuck you. I choose the segregated bike path over riding among cars every day.
>>
>>1954691
that’s because you’re an oom thom as they say in the nether regions
>>
>>1952486
There would be a lot of benefits to lowering speed limits down to like 20mph.
Way safer for everyone and vehicles can be much smaller and cheaper.
Different traffic types can intermix more easily and traffic management becomes simpler.
>>
>>1954695
Riding near cars is horrible.
>>
>>1954721
Because oom thoms like you have willingly surrendered the roads to them and agreed to only ride where they give you permission

If you cared about cycling you would take what’s yours and spend your energy on holding them accountable for hurting and looking people. Then riding on roads wouldn’t seem so crazy

But you gave up everything for a little bike path downtown, so the urbanist larpers can play European Vacation while everyone else pays the price
>>
>>1954723
*hurting and killing
>>
>>1952486
Sorry no. Bikes rarely if ever stop in the bike lane, I think I've seen it twice in my life and I live in the city. (These are not MUPs around a suburban lake)
Delivery shits will. Cars will.
I can see around EVERY cyclist no matter how fucking fat, even a VW Bug in the cycle lane would be a viability problem.

And this is entirely outside the lane users fault, but if a cager sees a car like thing in the bike lane, they're either gonna get in it to, or take it out and maybe me as collateral damage.
>>
>>1954601
>a vague and capricious system where the cyclist can more readily be blamed for his death
Flying into an intersection when it is clearly a red light isn't a "vague and capricious system".
>>
>>1954735
Yeah neither is getting ingested into a high bypass turbofan. Are you testing some argument bots? Not bad for a first attempt
>>
so why is this allowed on city streets but not a go cart or golf cart?
>>
>>1952486
>and make the road into an environment where parking is prohibited everywhere regardless of the reason
so you need to hire some licensed corporation $75/hr to pick up that free used couch on the corner 15 blocks away instead of swooping it up yourself with your neighbors shitty pickup truck?
>>
>>1954755
So it’s to keep people with no common sense from giving themselves along with the entire building a bedbug problem that takes years and thousands of dollars to fix? I’m all for it
>>
>>1954723
>reddit spacing
>>
>when does a ecargobike become a small car?
I think 250w / 25km/h limits probably impose a reasonabl upper limit.
>>
They had a write in for a name for the new NYC Bike Lane Maintenance Vehicle and UPS is trying the idea but its novelty as fuck when it comes to Work Bikes.

The name I gave on the write ins were

Mr. Throttle Me Box

Dung Roller

and 'TOD as it was a DOT vehicle and was so slow it qualified for the special olympics

I make the best Work Bikes in the world

Pic shown is called The Platform Trailer....its so smooth and feels like its not even there as it rolls with the balance and design precision that its a choice for cargo delivery routes.
>>
File: MOVR RYTLE.jpg (73 KB, 801x402)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
Lets talk about bullshit rides first as they are truly inferior.

Pic related is the Trike that was created for RYTLE and fucked up so royally that Amazon shitcanned the operations of that model.

So heavy and tipped over in turns in training with riders for the company....they lost a 25 million dollar startup contract and had 100 of them in a factory in NYC.....a buddy of mine was able to grab them afterwards for 100 on the condition that they would part them out and remove the paint from the frames as it was their patented color scheme on their trademark.

They could be designed so much better but they refuse to study basic elements of design that apply to the mass they are carrying as well as having to pedal in hills.

This was unable to be an efficient model to keep capacity of the operations of the company that they were working for.....

Imagining pedalling over 300 lbs empty and then loading it with another 200 - 300 lbs and having to move the whole thing at a pace to keep with traffic for hours....

Nearly God Like Powers are needed to operate a Work Bike as an enterprise.
>>
File: Hub.jpg (159 KB, 1280x960)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
I ran for years carrying passengers for rides as a bike taxi operator....but that was why i decided to move up and design a better working model that could weigh in at 80 lbs and be able to carry a 1000, but also climb insanely steep hills AND have a drivetrain with over 200 miles of a range on the Electric Motor and Battery kits.

The perfect Work Bike.....but there is all this commercial shit in the way of getting the idea to their company, but I will show you a little hint at what I am making.
>>
I almost put a Torsen Differential in the rear of this model but then decided to test it out with an Open Differential this time because of the nature of the trike and its axles being specifically designed to spin free of the stress of the weight of the mass on the frame in cargo.....

So literally there is nothing but balanced roll achieved from the chainrings on the drivetrain. I even made it with a Torque Converter so that it was able to obtain a 140% leap in output.

So that there was a lot less applied to have to move the platform of the frame designed around it.
>>
>>1956917
>>1956921
English please
>>
File: mainstreet.jpg (10 KB, 245x206)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>1956917
>>1956921
>>1956922
>>1956923
what do you think of main street pedal trucks? i drove one of these around the city for over a year. it was ass.
>>
>>1952503
Putting any kind of motorized vehicle in the same line as pedestrians and bikes is stupid.

Someone accidentally pushes drive button and kills 5 people along the road.
Goes out unscratched.

Now imagine this in your America with drug problems.
>>
>>1954636
Yeah, let's create a dystopian society where a stick with two wheels and pedals requires 20 hours of bureaucratic preparations to ride.
>>
>>1956947
>>>it was ass.

Because they suck ass....

Former pedicab driver that drove every kind of trike before designing his own product line.
>>
>>1949173
>can't see
>keep riding full speed
Problem is still you.
I'm all for reducing chaos on the road but if your goal is to live you should be more cautious.
>but they have to st-- ACK
>>
>>1949121
>BIke
>bi
>two
>>1949121
>"Bike"
>four wheels
they've failed already.
>>
>>1954674
It looks to me like cars are permitted to use that road. Forrester wins again.
>>
>>1959385
>they've failed already.

But its got pedals....you just can't stand up to pedal up hills.....

But its got a nice awning.....you just get hit with a windshield that acts like a parachute blocking your path

Imagine....keeps the lightest rain from hitting your body, but a wind comes up and drenches you from the side openings

It costs thousands more than they should, and works slower than a person jogging.

Has a small noise maker in the wheels so you can hear them coming....clunk clink clunk....all day long

Sounds efficient right....batteries die after 4-6 hours.

But you can plug and play when it recharges....

You think this is innovation, right Anon?

Think about how advanced a square box looks sitting on a frame made to hold batteries with a set of wagon wheels they took off of some 4-wheeled walmart cart
>>
>>1956922
You're building a pedal powered motorcycle, essentially?
>>
>>1959696
E-Drive has a list of advancements including the drivetrain components that allow it to keep pace on pedal power alone.

The E-Drive is able to propel it to 45mph and keep pace, with the pedal assist tuned with gearing that allows you to lightly press the pedals without straining all day, just to take pressure of resistance off the motor allowing it to flow smoother at a more efficient rate.

With these combinations added the Work Bike I designed is better able to keep pace with traffic.

This means that it does not need the bike lanes and will be able to operate in them as well when they are available to skip around traffic.....it has a smaller footprint and a larger capacity than these shit box rollers that weigh about 300 to 400 lbs empty and allows for more weight to be carried than any of the other models.

This is the second generation design, with a torque converter and open differential in the drivetrain.

The first generation was made into a form of "tweeny" without the differential....on one wheel drive alone, there was little resistance in the drivetrain, and it was able to carry two people on the rear uphill using bodyweight alone with the derraileur disabled and the chain line setting the selection of the gears in 2nd up from the smallest ring.....so this thing can shred hills.

The test runs were made up a hill that is about set at a 10 to 13 degree pitch and carried weight and maintained stability at speeds with the maneuverability that is unseen in any model of pedicab.

It was designed to carry massive loads of up to 6 people if needed.

The one wheel drive model was modded with a ground up drivetrain and E-Drive bolt-on kit, that was made specifically for the frame, which includes a more rigid fork and triple crown reinforcement.

It has the same power as a SurRon but has a better powerband in the throttle that allows for more amp power to be delivered at lower speeds and a smoother high speed design meant to save power use.
>>
>>1949121
Dumb
>>
why does that thing get to ride in the bike lane. i'd squirt water on the driver as i passed him.
>>
>>1949121
KEK bikefags btfo
>>
>>1952486
This is something that works pretty well in Vietnam based on my experience and to an extent India. You're still going to have people not exactly follow the rules as intended but people don't generally want to, or be hurt or impeeded and come to a very natural flow
>>
>>1949121
Bike lanes like this were designed to kill and maim as many bike users as possible. Shitting them up further may be better for cycling safety. Also, while corporations may think that killing a couple cyclists will give them free use of the bike lane infrastructure, they'd still have to deal with cars parking on bike lanes and turning over them without looking. I don't think they know what they're getting into.
>>
>>1949121
lmao get in the bike cage, wagie.
>>
>>1954674
Based Hescheweg
>>
>>1954674
weekly reminder that john forester was an american hero for both rejecting perfidious albion and also fighting batavophile counterrevolutionary reactionary kapitalist imperial pigdogs

kill all fifth columnists, launch the yimbys into the sun
>>
>>
>>1959395
Eso es porque Forester fue, es, y siempre sera correcto
>>
>>1949121
Bike lanes are for two wheeled manpowered transportation devices ONLY. I hate e-bike fags as well.
>>
>>1949121
Fuck UPS as a corporation, but they're based for doing this.
Bike lanes are terrible infrastructure that takes away an entire extra lane of parking or turning from cars, the actual way to get around.
Biking is a leisure activity or a thing children do. It's fun, no doubt, but they don't belong on main roads. Either build a separate bike path or put the bike on your car. For transit options and to limit traffic, we should be funding and building heavy rail instead. Riding the S-bahn clone to the department should be normal, if you don't need to drive to carry home a big screen TV or something.
>>
>>1954788
>oh no he said something I can't refute, better say reddit!
>>
>>1952502
You can do that in most parts of america too, and you should. Use your rights or they will be taken away
>>
>>1961678
looks like a bike to me, why do you hate #micromobility are you a cagetroll?
>>
>>1974294
>from cars, the actual way to get around.
>manhattan
kill yourself, you stupid fat retarded fuck
>>
>>1949156
This. +1
Besides the intrinsic danger the combination of motorised traffic and bike lanes pose theres added issues with planning of those always being absolutely brain dead and the laws regarding bike lanes being incomplete, illogical and lacking. Just like the 'infrastructure' itself.
Bike lanes are made by and advocated for by cagers. still they'll try even harder running people over that do use them.
>>
My shit is literally from outer space.....

It holds a load and feels like it's hovering.

It just rolls so smoothly that there is nothing like it on planet earth.
>>
>>1963008
>Bike lanes like this were designed to kill and maim as many bike users as possible.
uhhh, based?
>>
>>1949121
i don't think something with 4 wheels and an electric motor should be called a bike, even if it has pedals.
>>
>>1981274
those are some interesting clipless plates
>>
>>1959197
I'm also a former pedicab driver.
What's your product line?
>>
>>1974294
KYS
>>
>>1949121

This is a great idea. We have an extensive bike lane network in my city that is underutilized. Allowing smaller low speed vehicles would help reduce traffic and pay for the bike infrastructure. Wouldn't mind one day these smaller lanes eventually make up the majority of lanes in the city.
>>
>>1985556
>This is a great idea. We have an extensive bike lane network in my city that is underutilized. Allowing smaller low speed vehicles would help reduce traffic and pay for the bike infrastructure. Wouldn't mind one day these smaller lanes eventually make up the majority of lanes in the city.

Noooooooooo you can't just not ride a normal bike in the bike lane nooooooooo you're gonna kill people noooooooooo storads Not Just Bikes Lycra cocks cum.
>>
just add another bike lane
>>
>>1949121
>Walkers bitch and moan about me running over their yappy little dog that went out of its way to bark at me when I ride on the sidewalk
>Cars bitch about having to watch out for me when they come out of drive-thrus and when they open their doors and saying it decreases parking (it doesn't) and decreasing a lane in one direction (valid) and having to watch out for cyclists when they cross the bike lane to get to their parked cars (taste of their own medicine)
>Stupid bird, lime, spin scooters litter the lane when not in use, as well as cars from out-of-towners
And now they want to introduce cars back into what little bike lanes that have been built?
What little bitches cagers are.
>>
I have a solution.
>ban all cars
>normies now ride in these things by default
>there are no excuses for driving in the bike lanes
>bike lanes are exclusively for bikes again
>>
File: fight_or_flight_response.jpg (243 KB, 1054x1358)
243 KB
243 KB JPG
>>1985810
Look at this garbage. This poster can imagine a world where banning all the cars is possible, but they still can't imagine a world where bikes can simply be operated on any convenient roads based on the requirements of the journey and not what some yimby karen has specifically deemed acceptable in some asinine "city planning" document.

Even when they propose what they take to be "extreme pro-bike" takes, they never stop pushing the cager mentality which is that roads ARE for cars, and ONLY for cars, *even if all the cars are magically deleted from the universe*.

Bike lane cultists have such a profound case of cagebrain it makes me dry heave. John Forester was right.
>>
>>1949121
I think in an ideal society, this wouldn't be necessary because driving in a box truck would be so efficient from not having traffic.
That being said, there's still room for small, just-in-time deliveries using bikes. As long as there aren't too many of these at the wrong times, I don't see too many problems occurring.

Reminder that the even if these come out, it's two steps in the right direction. Safety increases as mass and speed decreases. Unfortunately we stepped over kei car utopia, but maybe we still have a chance to revert back later.
>>
>>1985916
>that the even if
please ignore the "the", thanks
>>
>>1985821
What if I just don't want to ride in the same lane as stinky normies?
>>
>>1949140
>>1959244
>>1949183
you absolute fucking dimwits
it was the SUV driver who failed those things not the poster
>>
Today I saw an amazon bike truck thing in the CPW bike lane. I passed it in the so-called "car lane", of course, because that's still legal, for now. I'm told the YIMBYs are going to buy all the politicians so we'll see how long that lasts
>>
kek can't wait to see as pedestrians get ran over by pajeet driving this, all while I sit comfortably in my diesel truck
>>
>>1988868
yeah if there's one thing amazon delivery drivers are known for, it's being indian
>>
>>1988874
hello saaaar
>>
>>1988889
Do you have me confused for a SWE
>>
If I catch you driving in my lane you son of a bitch you son of God I will pull you out of your car and deliver you to demons
>>
>>1990824
All roads are car roads.
https://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1713856257541994.webm
>>
>>1949121
Holy shit. Will this result in dead cyclists? How and what can I do to support this and make sure it passes?

Also once this passes what kind of ICE or minimal hybrid vehicle could I build to legally be allowed to use this lane while still maximizing my space and comfort? I'm thinking something like picrel could be killer if I could get it to run under the proposed regulations. Imagine the age of DOT private Bikelane highway Kei Cars.

Yeah, I'm thinkin' based.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.