[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: cycling.jpg (171 KB, 1080x1350)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
Last thread hit bump limit
>>1912751

Spring is coming, get the winter stuff when it's on sale. Except people from Argentina, for you, get the summer stuff when it's on sale

Anyone use winter-specific road or MTB shoes? I've been depending on overshoes for too long

Discuss bike apparel. Engage in catty tribalism between "lycra lout aero fred" and "practical normal not-a-cyclist' (actually still marketed to cyclists but with reverse psychology) apparel. Boast of your metric century (not a real century) wearing just jeans and a t-shirt. Conveniently, there is no strava of it but it totally happened I swear!

>>1912751
>>
File: 1682815976189236.png (979 KB, 1080x1185)
979 KB
979 KB PNG
>bibs
>no shirt/trikot
>always at 110rpm
Yep thats me
>>
File: IMG_20240206_164806.jpg (3.72 MB, 2784x2083)
3.72 MB
3.72 MB JPG
mtb gloves suck
>>
I don't like to play dress-up.. I just jump on my bike and ride it.
>>
File: Canaria 1.jpg (326 KB, 1600x1067)
326 KB
326 KB JPG
>>1978287
based
>>
File: 1605241556990.png (449 KB, 800x800)
449 KB
449 KB PNG
>>1978275
>no sanic bike cycling gf
I got no lycra for these feels
>>
>>1978275
giwtwm
>>
This seems as good a place as any to ask. I have always felt a little bit of irritation and itching in the front center of my hairline during and after rides, right where the helmet is in contact with the head. I wrote it off until I noticed I was starting to thin out on that spot, so I did some googling and apparently this is called traction alopecia and it can be permanent.

I've switched to satin finish headbands under the helmet, but I don't know what else to do other than not wear a helmet. Anyone else have this problem?
>>
>>1978669
>I don't know what else to do other than not wear a helmet
you just answered your own question
>>
>>1978772
I was thinking maybe just spam my forehead with minoxidil before and after rides
>>
>tfw fat
>want to cycle a lot
>thighs hurt and chafe while riding
>too embarrassed to buy and wear a chamois
what do
>>
>>1978813
You should be embarrassed not to be wearing a chamois. Launch unracers into the sun.
>>
>>1978819
What the fuck is an unracer?
>>
File: grant.jpg (661 KB, 1626x1500)
661 KB
661 KB JPG
>>1978831
The unracer cult promotes being a pickme fake cyclist who thinks that trying to appease cageoids by riding exclusively on designated "segregationist riding paths" while wearing klederdracht and hand carved klompen is somehow going to make cageoids drive safely. They are very chill and non judgmental as demonstrated by the fact that they hate anyone whose bike weighs less than 50 pounds or has more than one gear

It was started by a disillusioned weeb who accidentally fell into an executive position at a japanese zaibatsu that wanted to sell bikes to americans in the 1980s and given an unlimited budget to sell high end product at a loss, unsurprisingly everyone loved the bikes and thought he was a genius, which caused him to develop senile dementia. The dementia didn't stop him from convincing a whole generation of tech bros that buying a heavy, outdated $5000 replica of a $150 dutch piece of shit makes you better than someone who rides a fast and efficient $1000 road bike purchased used
>>
>>1978813
Ride more...loose fat and get that sexy thigh gap for the black saddle to sit in, and you also "season" that ass with more riding.
If you're embarrassed about wearing tight clothing, you should ride more to tone that ass. Build a nice firm ass that you can wave around boldly Infront of cages, and infront of me. While riding a bike haha
>>
>>1978813
There is underwear with chamois you can wear under regular trousers
>>
Steel toe boots, jeans, long underwear, long sleeve shirt, maybe a sweater and a parka.
>>
>>1979011
>parka
Is it an ebike or do you ride in antarctica?
>>
>fitting wool turtleneck
>cheap wide crop trousers i got from shein
>thin wool socks
everything is pretty breathable and it keeps the sun off of me. i find underwear and having a fitting saddle is more important than anything padded, i usually do 50-70mi rides and im fine. but it was pretty chilly the other day and...i don't actually have any suitable layers like a wind breaker so i got pretty cold.
i love that i don't have to wash wool stuff so i can wear the same sweater for a week straight. i do change underwear daily and socks every other ride if i don't get too sweaty. also i saw that silca has wool socks for$30/pair, i thought the darn tough socks i wore were expensive when i got them on sale...wtf
maybe this is an unracer fit, but i really dislike buying single purpose clothing plus im cheap/poor. i also dont like plasticy fabric clothing like my pants and undies, but wool pants are really expensive and im not so adept at sewing. the polyester undies prevent chafing, too.
>>
>>1978813
I weigh over 100kg and like everyone else it takes more riding to make your ass adapt to the beatings of the road.
Somethings that do help are a decent saddle for you, largest reasonable tires you can fit in your bike, and most importantly more riding.

>>1978819
I just don't like putting on cycling shorts. Downside is my normal shorts are wearing through in the crotch area.......
>>1978834
>It was started by a disillusioned weeb who accidentally fell into an executive position at a japanese zaibatsu that wanted to sell bikes to americans in the 1980s and given an unlimited budget to sell high end product at a loss, unsurprisingly everyone loved the bikes and thought he was a genius, which caused him to develop senile dementia. The dementia didn't stop him from convincing a whole generation of tech bros that buying a heavy, outdated $5000 replica of a $150 dutch piece of shit makes you better than someone who rides a fast and efficient $1000 road bike purchased used
So bridgestone bikes of that era are good?
>>1978275
Recently I have been wearing old motorcycle gloves. Haven't found any protective full finger gloves that are decent, so I am happy these are working good since they are underprotective for motorcycling IMO.
>>
>>1979076
He's not riding hard enough
>>
>>1978669
It's a lot more likely that your hairline is just retreating due to genetics
>>
>>1978669
it's not the helmet. I am 28, been losing hair since 25 or so. One of the indicators was an itchy scalp and it's well documented. Luckily the common F drug stopped that issue and my hair doesn't itch and I now lose a normal amount of hair a day.

If you notice little white hairs going out of your head then it's happening.

Run no helmet for a while and I bet you it will still itch.
>>
>>1978773
won't really help.
>>
>>1978813
Are MTB baggies too fucking hardcore for you?

>>1979126
>So bridgestone bikes of that era are good?
Yes, but they're a meme.
>>
>>1979126
They were very good, I had one (I'm old), but it's important to remember what "good" means in bicycle-speak, at least for people who aren't delusional retrogrouch luddites. "Good" means good relative to what was available at the time. A high end bike a generation or two ago is basically equivalent to a low end but still serviceable/maintainable bike today. Cutting edge state of the art cost-no-object stuff on prestige model bikes by top name brands will become regular everyday baseline expected features on inexpensive bikes in approximately 15-20 years. So when someone says of a 1980s or 1990s or even 2000s bike that it was a "great bike" you can't compare it to today's great bikes or even today's pretty good bikes, you compare it to that era's pretty good bikes, nothing more.
>>
File: qxjhvzx21sg61.jpg (113 KB, 600x450)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>1979137
>>1979130
well fuck. I don't want to take shit that's going to make my nuts fall off, I'm not some baldhead costanza that needs those kinds of drugs, I have hair! I'll just pretend it will go away on its own, until it looks noticeable and then freak out and order bathtub estrogen on the dark web and spend $10k on a hair transplant
>>
File: Skärmklipp.png (143 KB, 821x719)
143 KB
143 KB PNG
>>1979267
wew lad
>>
>>1979267
>I don't want to take shit that's going to make my nuts fall off
my dick hard as hell every morning and my t is like 1030 ng/dl last i checked
i take 1.25mg/day approximately, i divide up a 5mg tablet because it's way cheaper that way.
>>
>>1979167
Fair enough. I just like fixing and repairing old bikes and have noticed bridgestones are more expensive.
I haven't ridden enough modern road bikes to know what's good so I stay in my lane with my one fancier bike (mid 2000's ritchey swiss cross) and my older bikes.
I am the retrogrouch/old bike enthusiast even though most of the bikes are from before I am born.
>>
Where do you guys find prescription glasses for cycling? I'm just using my regular glasses but I'm afraid of damaging them after I had my first spill while biking.
>>
>>1979350
Just get ti frames, I crashed wearing some and they're fine, a little bent but the store lady fixed it with some kind of expensive looking bendy tool that weighed about 100 pounds. The impact might drive a titanium needle through your brain though, also they're a little expensive
>>
>>1979167
delusional
>>
>>1978834
rent. fucking. free.
>>
>>1979350
my normal glasses. really annoying how they slide down my nose when i;m in the drops and the brow piece is in the centerline of my vision.
you can get wrap around frames with impact/ scratch resistant lenses from one of those outlet frame places. shouldn't be more than like $100 from some place like glasses usa(if you are american)
>>
>>1978813
vaseline

even normal sized people with nice bibs use a bit of it before a long ride.

You also need to vasoline/bandaid your nipples if you go out and do a huge run in the summer or you will chafe them bloody. Not even lying.
>>
>>1979076
Frozen shithole of Hoth. Twenty below straight up - no windchill. Degrees F or Degrees C? . . . First one then the other.
>>
>>1979350
Just normal glasses with maybe some addons to make sure they don't fall off, like those rubber hooks that go behind your ears. Oh and if you must fall off try not to land on your face.
>>
File: HSL-003.jpg (561 KB, 1800x2700)
561 KB
561 KB JPG
My favorite gloves are almost shredded and they're no longer in production or available anywhere. Anyone got recs for recent model winter road gloves that are warm and windproof without being unwieldy lobster mitts? Pic only tangentially related
>>
>>1979404
I don't, that sounds like it would make an impossible mess. Chamois cream washes out because it's not made of tar
>>
>>1979350
desu I just buy enough cheap pairs that it won't matter and you can have a spare pair with you if you're a long way from home
but also, I've been through some reasonably kinetic bike and moto wrecks and the only time I ever broke my glasses was when I had a pretty bad reaction to a bee sting, glasses fell off when I fainted, and EMT stepped on them. so this may not be as big of a worry as you think.
>>
>>1981508
Meh chamois cream is gross. Vasoline on your own ass, nuts and grundle > wetting your chamois up with water based cream.

You take a shower and wash your bibs after every ride it doesn't matter it is personal preference. I just cant emphasize enough the need to wash your bibs/shorts EVERY ride or you will get saddle sores from ingrowns.
>>
>>1981628
Bruh. The fact that you think washing your clothes and bathing are top secret life hacks says what needs to be said about vaseline
>>
File: 1685144368249.jpg (3.81 MB, 4032x3024)
3.81 MB
3.81 MB JPG
>>1978290
ha
>>
File: 91cuL2qsTML.jpg (625 KB, 2560x2560)
625 KB
625 KB JPG
anyone tried these "Gear Aid" kits to repair bibs? I had a disagreement with some rocks the other day and my favorite (relatively new) tights have a small hole
>>
>>1978275
is she waving at me? haha, hey :)
>>
>>1984053
for summer bibs I don't bother with anything other than redwhite anymore
>>
I can't really find good fitting bibs, it's allways moving up and down.
Long ones seem good, maybe because they grab my legs better. In bibs the mad moves, thigh grips don't grip that well. BUt it's all decathlon stuff. Do I have to go full fred and buy the expensive brands?
>>
>>1984055
how thick is the pad on those?
I like their overall sales pitch but don't really like super thick padding.
>>
>>1984132
I've had about 10 bibs overall and I'd say they're towards the thinner side of the spectrum in terms of absolute thickness, but I wouldn't say they're "minimalist" or anything like that. there's density there.
>>
>>1984147
>>1984132
*10 different bibs if that wasn't clear. I only have one redwhite that I got last summer. the rest from other brands
>>
>>1984123
Maybe try a tighter one? I only use shorts and don't have that issue.... but they are tight shorts.
>>
>>1984123
The differences between expensive and cheap bibs:

1. Better chamois (the most important part)
2. More complex construction (more panels to orient fabric stretch in the optimal directions for each part of your body)
3. More complex and comfortable thigh grippers (cheap ones are either too much or too little)

Upgrading could improve the way the bibs move (or don't move) on your body, but if they're really moving a lot you probably just have something too big
>>
I made a thread before about the ground floor of yuppie douche cycle wear cause I need to hide in this group of assholes cause I get too much attention as a dirtbag, and no one had answers.

Shirts at the local bike shop are still 130$ for Lycra recycled water bottles. Also shapewear or something if you are a chub. I saw a "runner" yesterday who was full potato. I'm fairly built, but I wouldnt be above wearing a fake muscle suit as a joke while in these hyper revealing clothes.
>>
>>1984351
Are you just looking for something that fits and has neutral colors? rion? ykywbike? hell, voler mystery jerseys are $35 and MiUSA.

>hyper revealing clothes.
can't relate desu, I'd do literally all my training in speedos if it wasn't for chafing, weather, occasional poison oak, and possibly police.

>>1984147
density is fine, just don't want a ton of bulk. thanks.
>>
>>1984351
Try some stuff on at a shop to figure out your general size, then order online or ebay. Jerseys and shorts can be found on great sales pretty frequently, but you kinda need to know your size range.
If you don't want revealing stuff just go MTB. Most of the jerseys aren't revealing and pretty comfortable. Not aero, but that just means when you beat roadies you are that much faster.
>>
>>1984422
>the first person who has never been gross
You sicken me.

>>1984432
Thanks.
>>
what clothes are nice for fatties
>>
>>1984544
look for "club fit", that's code for fat fuck

t. fat fuck
>>
File: feedmemoney.png (369 KB, 804x824)
369 KB
369 KB PNG
I bought a $325 helmet, AMA
>>
>>1984432
>when you beat roadies
unracers try not to be obsessed with how fast other people are going challenge INPOSHIBORU

no but seriously what is it about the sight of normal cycling clothes that makes fair weather weekend cyclists get all competitive and try to "defeat" me when I'm just cruising through their neighborhood on a normal 80 mile ride? good for you, you managed to sprint for 18mph for about half a mile and then your heart exploded, you want a head pat or something?
>>
>>1988709
Was it worth it?
>>
>>1988736
Probably. It feels like I'm not wearing anything on my head. Even the wind through my hair is crazy. I never got this much ventilation in my life. The coverage seems not as extensive as my last one but vtech gave it a 9.45 so I just. need to make sure I bash my head into a lamp post at an angle that falls within the specified range and I should be fine
>>
>>1988777
That's nice. As long as you feel good about your purchase, it's fine.
>>
>>1978275
Need some new Sunglasses for my rides? Whats good these days? Normally would just wear some tinted safety glasses from the workshop, but I dont work there anymore. It's time to step up my eyewear game
>>
>>1990028
they're a bit played out by now but I'm happy with my sutros. the cool kids are now on more outlandish and extreme styles though
>>
>>1990028
the choice is up to you, because they come in two classes: rhinestone shades and cheap sunglasses
>>
I commute with my bike in the summer and last year I started getting really annoyed with back sweat so I'm looking for a new backpack.
The only features that are a must are a ventilated/netted back and a laptop compartment.

Currently looking at the Aevor Proof Bike Pack. Does anyone have experience with this model or suggestions for alternatives?
>>
>>1990251
get a rack and strap your bag on to it. there is no acceptable backpack for cycling in my mind.
>>
>>1990280
Everything has its place. Backpacks suck for commutes where there's no stop along the way to pick up groceries. But panniers suck for grocery shopping because carrying those things around in the store with a basket in one hand is incredibly awkward.
>>
>>1990280
>get a rack and strap your bag on to it
No. I will not be mounting a rack to my road bike. I do not care that that would eliminate back sweat.
>>
>commute cuck
>backpack
>road bike
>>
I hate you /ni/ggers so much
>you can't drive
>no wtf you can't ride your bike either you need to use public transit
>your bag is all wrong
>you can't ride a road bike
>no not even when it's 10kms of flat and paved bike path
>>
>>1990298
don't get upset, we're just a very chill, non-judgmental, non-conformist crowd that doesn't obsess over lycra and going fast. that's why we rage at people who wear the wrong clothes, ride at the wrong speeds, on the wrong kinds of bikes. we want to make sure everyone else is just as non-conformist and non-speed obsessed as we are, while making sure everyone knows it's ok to wear what you like, and ride what you like, how you like, and at the speed that makes you happy, provided all those things EXACTLY agree with what I like (if they don't you're a jerk and you should be shamed and ostracized)
>>
>>1990288
Well said. Now get another bike and use it instead of your road bike for your grocery shopping.
>>
>>1990544
>Now get another bike and use it instead of your road bike for your grocery shopping.
But anon, I go grocery shopping in my car. I am asking for a backpack that can hold a laptop and a couple of small extras. Is that to hard to understand?
>>
Cotton T shirt and joggers
>>
File: IMG_8724.jpg (1.91 MB, 4032x3024)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB JPG
>>1990611
>>
>>1990286
>carrying those things around in the store
huh? why don't you just leave them on your bike and bring your groceries back to them? are people really stealing panniers where you live? i know i am certainly not carrying 4 panniers into the store and trying to awkwardly explain to the bag people (fucking americans) that i want my groceries loaded in my reusable bags.
>>
>>1990611
i did that for years because I was "too cool" to wear be a lycrafag, getting slowed down by flapping fabrics but now I'm a lycrafag and wish I didn't wait so long to go aero.
>>
>>1990648
I’m on the verge of going Lycra lol

I want to exert as little energy as possible on my commute
>>
>>1990630
>that i want my groceries loaded in my reusable bags.
That's not really a concern for me because re-usable bags are the default here (also a fucking american, we banned single-use bags). You just can't use them for holding stuff when walking around in the store. You load them up at the register after paying. Can't speak to the pannier stealing from direct experience, but I assume an unsecured item with a resale value in the high 2-figures range is probably steal-worthy
>>
>>1990820
>You just can't use them for holding stuff when walking around in the store
weird, that has never been a problem for me. though i don't think most people would really understand how much a good set of panniers cost, and i don't have ortlieb ones either so the main name brand isn't there. otherwise most thieves are probably going to have no idea what they're looking at.
i would imagine rummaging through them is just easier, have fun stealing my bungee cords i suppose.
>>
>>1990839
>no idea what they're looking at
a bunch of pieces of plastic and fabric that wouldn't be worth 10 bucks, but some retarded paid way more for it?
Lmao cost and worth are totally different concepts anon.
>>
>>1990839
well I do have ortlieb ones so I'll just take them with me. imagine thinking bike thieves don't know anything about bikes
>>
>>1991086
The majority opportunist thief is just that, an opportunist thief. If someone is going to steal your shit they're just going to take the whole bike dude.
>>1991085
What are you getting at? Perceived value and market is what matters if you are just stealing shit to resell, it doesn't matter what they're "worth".
>>
>>1978275
I ride in local races with jeans, boots, and on a 10 speed.

Still beat carbon fags.
>>
>>1991119
Thiefs know what can be sold easily for good money, and fucking bike bags ain't it lol
>>
>>1991119
oh ok. so you're saying if I have $200 worth of bags, unsecured, on a bike with a heavy chain lock, then the existence of the unsecured bags renders the entire bike unsecured? that is certainly an opinion.
>>
>>1991119
the reality is that crackheads will steal anything, even if its totally worthless.

Someone stole the mounting bracket for my 10 dollar amazon light.
>>
>>1991130
no...? i'm saying if someone wants your shit fiddling around with 4 panniers is a retarded waste of time compared to cutting a lock, for someone that is determined. for someone who wants to nab something quickly they're probably going to realize "hm i can't just tug these off like a handbag off a chair, probably not worth it to grab all 4". the second statement wasn't a direct continuation of the first. the bike having panniers on it probably doesn't make it immensely more attractive. panniers are a pretty niche thing and not something someone is going to want to steal to flip.
if i'm looking for a bike to steal i'm not going to be perusing the racks looking for fucking panniers and i'm going to assume to owner isn't a retard and hasn't left any valuables in them.
>>
>>1991139
>hm i can't just tug these off like a handbag off a chair,
but there is nothing stopping them from doing exactly that. do you actually know what a pannier is? it seems like you think it's some kind of permanently affixed component, like a rack or something
>>
>>1991143
>>1991139
here's a video showing how these things work, as you can see, it's not rocket surgery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEbRJm1_o1c
>>
>>1991143
>do you actually know what a pannier is
it's almost like...not every pannier is the same!
>>1990839
>i don't have ortliebs
i don't have ortliebs

mine are not removed this easily
>>
what should fat people wear for 50+ mile summer days? other than a burlap sack to hide our hideous bodies.
>>
>>1991148
bibs and a jersey same as anyone else
>>
>>1991148
Just wear lycra nobody cares. Just do a club fit jersey aka buy one a size too big.

We arent greek gods here we like riding bikes. Lycra is like a singlet in wrestling. Love it or hate it, its the objectively best way to cycle.
>>
>>1991251
I'm doing door dash on a bike, I don't think bibs are gonna work for me
>>
>>1991148
xl+shirt, comfy seat so you don't have to wear bike shorts.
However bike shorts for mtb are better, or just wear the pad under some comfy shorts.
>>
>>1978275
she's pretty :D i love girls
>>
Anyone tried these new reebok pump cycling gloves? If you pump them 2-3x before a climb you can jump higher just like charles barkley
>>
>>1991149
basically. you are going to look like a fat fuck regardless so there isn't much point in hiding it.
>>
>>1991715
I used to shred through those before I just gave up on trying to wear "normal clothes" and went full lycra homosexual
>>
are polarized lenses worth it over basic ones that just block uv and blue light? polarized are double the price.
have to order some new glasses and figured i may as well get some prescription sunglasses while i'm at it.
>>
>>1991944
i wouldn't consider non-polarized glasses, but i live in florida. if you live in seattle it may not be worth it.

also, what brand are these? even cheap gas station sunglasses are polarized these days, who the hell is upselling it for a 100% markup? im guessing its some cycling specific ripoff company.
>>
>>1991946
>>1991944
>prescription

oh i didnt see that part. still absurd.
>>
>>1991946
>>1991947
heh, i live in fl too and have been using some el cheapo sunglasses of unknown origin for years.
but ok i was wrong, with the tint it brings non polarized to $32 over $45 for polarized because tinting is included. it's just the lenses themselves that are $16 vs $36. but no uv protection? dunno. i would assume my current ones don't have that either so i guess i probably won't notice a difference.
>>
>>1991944
Depends on your environment and riding conditions, I don't have a pair of polarized prescription glasses but I used to have a set of polarized Oakleys that blocked a lot of glare reflecting off car windows and glossy paint on clear high brightness days. It's useful if you're sensitive to glare.
>>
File: asdfwe.png (2 KB, 206x58)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
>>1991948
>but no uv protection?
OH, i'm retarded and can't read.
>>
Anybody got experience making/using vinyls on their helmet?
Mine is carbon fiber so Idk how it will interact with adhesives?
Any tips for placing them?
I got some designs I wanna work out while I wait for the state to answer whether its legal or not (Europe so laws are weird sometimes)
>>
>>1991944
Polarized are dumb for general use, if you're a sailor or something fine, but for ordinary land use they cause more problems than they solve

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.