[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: proc.jpg (1.37 MB, 2448x3264)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB JPG
How many spare wheels do you keep?
>>
I don't keep count, I just take what I need when I see an abandoned bike. I feel sorry for jewish buyfags. Can you imagine going to the bike shop and paying for this stuff? Just carry a spoke key with you at all times so when you wheel starts wobbling you can true it on the spot. They're very useful tools and I would not be able to survive with out a spoke key
>>
>>1982369
Jamal...
>>
I was riding home and saw a trailer with like 300 wheels on it. I'm going to ask the dude what the fuck and have him sell me the good shit he finds before he scraps them.
>>
Zero. Because I've never broken a wheel and I am not critically dependent on my bike.

[spoiler]Also I'm not a mentally ill hoarder[/spoiler]
>>
>>1982406
How do you build or repair things if you don't keep a bunch of random parts and scrap metal behind your workshop in your backyard?
>>
>>1982407
My shit doesn't constantly break because I don't use parts I literally "found" on the street. The most I have to do once in a while is adjust my brake pads.
>>
>>1982426
I just mean in general, not solely bicycles. You some kind of soft-handed apartment dweller?
>>
>>1982428
>You some kind of soft-handed apartment dweller?
I'm still in university so unsurprisingly I do not have my own homestead. I have 2 large tool boxes and a couple of smaller bicycle specific tools. Doesn't take up much space and it's been enough to fix everything so far. I don't need to build porch, only fix my dishwasher or adjust a window.

In general I prefer having things tidy and don't like have random things laying around. So I don't stockpile things I might need eventually just because I could get them in the moment. When something comes up I get the parts I need.
>>
>>1982431
You could've just said yes instead of typing all that shit
>>
>>1982433
Okay strong and independent man who don't need no hardware store
>>
>>1982434
Sorry I felt attacked when you brought up mental illness and hoarding
>>
I feel sorry for people who don't know how to repair their own stuff. I spend more time fixing shit than riding and I can fix basically anything with my stash of tools and parts. How do you people get through a ride? I have to stop and fix something every couple of miles, if I didn't have a milk crate full of random scrap parts and tools getting dragged behind me with bungee cords I'd never get anywhere
>>
File: wheels.jpg (477 KB, 1371x2048)
477 KB
477 KB JPG
Here are some of mine.

I love good wheels, I build my own and like to have spare sets for each of my bikes and tend to go for 2-3 sets per bike, all set up ready to go with tyres fitted.
>1 x lightweight for dry road use fitted with slicks
>1 x all weather ceramic rim with wet tyres
>1 x Heavy duty rims and spokes with all weather off road tyres

This means pretty much all of my bikes are ewasily converted for whatever type of ride I have in mind. I have various bikes and need wheels in various sizes, 26'', 700c, 650b and 20'', I have wheels set up for all of these plus others that are just there to be used whenever a set wears out. I also have a ton of rims and spokes ready to build more.

Good wheels are the most important part of any bike. Everything else is there to serve the wheels.

>
>>
>>1982465
teehee

just because you hate wrenching on old bikes doesn't mean you have to make up a bizarre scenario where people's bikes are falling apart and are cobbled together with junk. most people i know who do this keep an eye out for high quality parts and the completed bike is generally better spec'd and assembled than the bike would've been when it was purchased new.
>>
>>1982363
None. I have 5 bikes and only some tubes and tubless stuff at home. Why would you need like any spare parts? I just buy a spare if something breaks and its there like after 2 days.
Do guys like that also have spare parts for their car lying around? Mental ilness.
>>
>>1982363
0-2x per wheel size needed. depends on maintenance needed, and what build I'm working on, tires on the other hand about 2x per size for varied conditions. Just swap them out patch, repair, and keep reusing them they're bald.
>>
17. I used to keep 18, but realized that was just too many.
>>
>>1982363
I have 6 built wheels including one planetary hub, plus two rims, three loose hubs and two sets of spokes, and none of them fit any of my bikes or each other respectively. There's only one loose wheel matching anything else and that something is front wheel on my daily driver, rear is a different wheel that actually fits the tire properly (front is too thin but I don't have any other disk brake front 26es and it works fine so whatever).
I'll probably build a mutt with caliper brake planetary rear and disk brake front soon, planetary is supposed to have coaster brake but I deleted it because it fell apart and seized the unit.
>>
>>1982363
You need a new rim like every 10k miles, why would you stock up? Just order a new rim before the old one is shot and rebuild the wheel.
>>
>>1985811
skill issue

t. disc chad
>>
>>1985811
skill issue
t. momentum chad
>>
>>1982363
i hused to have like 5 pairs of wheels but im moving house and had to get rid of some
>>
>>1982399
based
>>
Do you guys just take individual parts from abandoned bikes or do you cut the locks and take the whole thing? Seems a waste to leave a whole frame, for example. You never know when you might need a frame. I have 20 of them just lying around. Just in case. All from abandoned bikes, of course.
>>
>>1990505
I usually take the entire thing. Just last month I rescued a 2022 Trek Domane, had to cut the lock but I'm sure the local residents were grateful that the abandoned bike no longer litters the street. It was in great condition as well.
>>
>>1990505
Everything except the front wheel
>>
>>1990521
based rescuer
>>
What do people do with ruined spare wheels? I left out two on the street that had bent rims, broken spokes. They disappeared within an hour. Nothing special about them btw. I figure someone might be out picking them up for the scrap metal.
>>
>>1982363
>take a room that's 97 sq ft
>now imagine that its entire volume is occupied by 26 inch wheels
>and that's just the wheel room, most of them dont have tires on
>there is another room of the same size that is stacked to the roof with 26 inch tires
>>1982399
>like 300 wheels on it
thats pritty much an annual if not bi annual trip
hundreds of bikes per year go strait to scrap, maybe about 1/4th of them could be fully restored if you had enough people to fix them, and anyone actually willing to buy and use a bike
id estimate you'd need 10 people and at least 2000 square foot of space so you can organise things and dont have to climb mountains of trash
>>
>>1990590
(in nz)
scrap steel is about 20c / kg
scrap allum is $2 / kg

(good prices, often it's half that or less).

Rims are around 400 grams
The hub shell is maybe another 100 grams. Those are allum. Spokes and the axle parts are steel.
So you cut all the spokes and pull the hub apart and you have about $1 of scrap metal.

The reason to do it is to acquire cups, cones, straight axles, and spacers to repair or modify other wheels. Having a lot of spacers from junked cassettes is also helpful for SS conversions.
Cutting the spokes etc makes storing the scrap neater.

And hopefully your metal recycler doesn't notice the steel eyelets on allum rims and say it makes all your allum dirty.

The easiest way to stack up scrap $$ with bicycles is shit (heavy) aluminium bsos but tearing them apart is not really worth it or satisfying because none of the parts are useful.
>>
File: hydeKneel.gif (2.76 MB, 636x640)
2.76 MB
2.76 MB GIF
>>1990505
>>1990510
>>1990521
>>
>>1990603
But do any of those parts even fit on a non-BSO wheel? I thought nipples were different for good bikes.
>>
>>1993274
My local bicycle has nice nipples and you never know until the bra comes off

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.