[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: OpenTTD.png (514 KB, 991x689)
514 KB
514 KB PNG
Do you enjoy any /n/ games, like city builders and tycoons?
>picrel OpenTTD, the best transportation game
If not a game, what software would you use to make model junctions and rail systems? /diy/ has solidworks, autocad, etc. Unironically a dumb game like OpenTTD seems to be the best option for exercising what you learn in your hobby, at least for free (so, not including real model railways.) It's also just fun as fuck.
>>
>>1983633

OpenTTD is fun and I've been playing it and TTD before it for a long time. I just wish the it could handle combining the three realworld climates into a single map so I can do some big map North American games.
>>
>tfw when an obscure and poorly documented simutrans mod is the only game that goes full signal autism
>>
>>1983676
Which one? There was a game on Steam that came out a few years ago that simulated being a dispatcher, but it was British and the territories were British so I never really considered getting it.
>>
I used to play lots of TTD back in win98 days as a kid. I knew about the infinite money cheat code, so I just kept on building and building and building
>>
File: 2024-02-13_0109_1.jpg (1.4 MB, 2560x1440)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
I liked Train Valley. Shame the second game was way worse.
>>
I kind of wish I had the time to make my own transport sim/tycoon. None of them feel quite right. OpenTTD is great when it comes to building and growing networks and managing resources but the actual simulation of trains and passengers is quite limited IMO, it's mostly just "move resources/passengers from point A to point B". A-Train (mostly talking about A-Train 9, but it probably applies to the rest of the series) is much better because it's important how and when you run your trains, it's much more important to manage actual supply and demand rather than just having infinite money wells, but some of the economic simulation (stock market for example) is just beyond my understanding and patience and most of the city building elements feel like total jank. Most of the western games in this genre focus mostly on freight transport, and handle passengers like freight when that's not realistic to how people move at all. I wish there was something inbetween those two. Maybe Cities in Motion is what I'm looking for, but I haven't had the time to sit down and dive into it.
>>
>>1983689
What's missing from Transport Fever? Every passenger is individually simulated, they live work and shop in different places and will take the fastest/cheapest route to get there.
>>
>>1983700
Does it have timetables and day/night cycles too?
>>
File: zofz27wujhj21.jpg (779 KB, 1920x1080)
779 KB
779 KB JPG
>>1983701
No, it's still a tycoon game, not a virtual model train set. But it's a bit more involved than TTD, and the rail building is more realistic than grid-based games (obviously).
>>
I think a smaller-scale train set game would be nice. Something like Two Point Hospital, only instead of running a hospital you're the stationmaster at some podunk middle-of-nowhere railway station. Instead of treatment rooms you're designing the platforms and the waiting room, then as things get busier you're designing retail space and a parcels yard, booting out fare dodgers and trainspotters, and so on.
>>
>>1983703
>not a virtual model train set

Speaking of...does anything like that exist? I plan on building a model railroad but not for a long time, so having a game to play where I can make one would be cool as fuck. Years back I played Sid Meier's Railroads! in the sandbox mode and that was kind of fun, but it was still basically just a regular business simulator game but without having to worry about the business aspect, so it was kind of limiting.
>>
>>1983682
mah nigga
>>1983633
>OpenTTD
>Anno 1800 (good for trade route autism)
>Cities Skylines
>Rise of Industry (basically OpenTTD 2.0 but worse)
>Overcrowd: A Commute'em Up
>mini metro (for you minimalist aesthetic fags)
I think CS is the best for just freely building and visualizing what you want.
It depends on what you want to do. AutoCAD and Solidworks are legit engineering programs. Even Blender isn't what you're looking for unless you want to make visualizations for your job.
>>
File: OpenTTD.png (1.69 MB, 1905x997)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB PNG
>>
>>1983727
Rolling line $19.99USD on Steam. Pretty gud.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/754150/Rolling_Line/
>>
>>1983820

Downloading this now, thanks anon. Was not expecting it to actually depict an actual model railway, I would have just played a non-train sim kind of train game but this looks really fun.
>>
>>1983820
The graphics look like shit. Cool idea though.
>>
>>1983727
Transport Fever basically works as one, you can disable the financial side of the game and just build what you want. There's a huge modding community and people have made maps specifically for virtual model train builds too. (Rectangular maps scaled to replicate an HO scale 4x8 board and so on.)
>>
>>1983678
I'm talking about simutrans-extended
>Which one? There was a game on Steam that came out a few years ago that simulated being a dispatcher, but it was British and the territories were British so I never really considered getting it.
none of the british signalling sims i know of are on steam, do you have a link?
>>1983872
transport fever 2 sucks dick as a model railway
>>
this is the best video game that ever existed
>>
>>1983882
>none of the british signalling sims i know of are on steam, do you have a link?
It's Rail Route
>>
File: file.png (1.87 MB, 1920x1001)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB PNG
>>1983882
>simutrans-extended
what the fuck it's perfect. Nothing else in the thread did it for me, the graphics and UI ever topped OpenTTD. It's just such a cozy experience. Transport tycoon is a classic, but I think I've finally found something that could potentially be better. I love the simplistic 90s isometric graphics of OpenTTD, and this Simutrans mod is similar in many ways, except also way more autistic and technical. I just watched a vid of some dude calling it "The Dwarf Fortress of Transport Games"

Thanks anon for the kino rec, I will try it
>>
I like how Workers and resources: Soviet Republic handles transportation. Citizens have rather strict time limits for waiting and traveling and nothing happens at buildings unless citizens and workers are present, so you need to have reliable and frequent transportation and fast vehicles for long distances. There are also a ton of transportation options with enough depth that there isn't one or two that are just better than the rest, including road vehicles (trucks, buses, cars, etc.), Trains (motor wagons, trams, locomotives, metro trains, multiple unit passenger trains, track builders, etc.), Ships (ferries, bulk carriers, container ships, general freighters, etc.), airplanes (from tiny Cessnas up to large cargo planes and the Tu-144), helicopters (small ambulances to huge skycranes) and more. They even have forklifts and cableways/ropeways/aerial-trams.

I think it even has the best train simulation since the signals are close to openttd, but you can also have cargo wagons automatically swapped in and out of trains and even have wagon ferries. Unfortunately there are no track limits like curve speed limits or grade effects on tractive effort or power.
>>
>>1984098
(Cont.) Be aware though that citizens do not make return trips home but just teleport home, and they have a limited ability to path to stuff they want to get to, so you need to approach the game with a different mindset than normal transit games.
>>
>>1984098
Yeah it looks interesting but what it comes down to is that I don't want to spend any time simulating a fucking Soviet shithole
>>
>>1983886
rail route isn't british as far as i can tell
>>
>>1983701
>timetables and day/night cycles
Tycoon sims already struggle to make the passage of time seem 'realistic', which is why trains invariably take a few days to reach their destinations. Simulating timetables and day/night cycles, weather patterns, and so on, just isn't compatible with something that's supposed to operate on a grand scale.

Transport Fever 2 is enjoyable, but I really wish there was more going on with the map other than mountain, water, clump of trees, mountain, water, clump of trees ... zoom out on an OpenTTD map and it looks 'alive' despite the sprite-based graphics.
>>
>>1984459
>Simulating timetables and day/night cycles, weather patterns, and so on, just isn't compatible with something that's supposed to operate on a grand scale.
What do you mean exactly? I know it takes a lot of work, but I don't see them being contradictory by nature if that's what you're trying to say.
>>
File: 1690983312112005.png (29 KB, 522x192)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
>>1984478
Well, the passage of time in tycoon games isn't realistic to begin with. For example, an in-game day in OpenTTD passes roughly every two-and-a-half seconds in real time. However, that's acceptable because, even though this means it takes anywhere from a few days to a week in-game for a train to complete its journey, the years going by in-game is how new technologies are unlocked and old ones retired as appropriate. It's one of those things you sort of take on board, 'suspension of disbelief' and other gamer tropes.

Timetabling means having to measure the passage of time in a far more precise way than 'what year is it', though. OpenTTD kiiiiind of touches on this, but this looks silly on the face of it.
>>
I'd like it if ordering trains and vehicles had consequences: like you ordered a locomotive and eight coal wagons, which is fair enough, but where are you going to store them? How are you going to turn locos around? Is your depot large enough to accommodate the loco? Can your staff get to the depot?

Just give me a non-aesthetic reason to build sidings and a depot complex!!
>>
>>1984459
>>1984482
>t. never played a-train
>>
>>1984482
Oh you mean it's not possible in current tycoons, not that it's impossible by design, got it.
OpenTTD has a patch that lets you extend days by a factor, by the way. I got it from a popular patchset I can't remember the name of.
>>
>>1984482
>>1984459
This is just new levels of train autism
>>
>>1984505
No it's not.
>>
Half my minecraft experience is switching to creative mode to build stupidly long rail lines connecting different settlements. I enjoy finding villages, improving them, and setting up rail between them.
>>
anyone tried this?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1134710/NIMBY_Rails/
>>
>>1984100
This is my main complaint. Plus because it's more "function" based (as in, focused too much on moving "workers and resources"), it basically punishes you for being more creative with road designs.
>>
>>1984512
it's rather dull
>>
>>1984486

The daylength patch is implemented in JGR's Patch Pack.

https://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=73469
>>
>>1984512
Not worth it unless you're turboautistic about scheduling
>>
>>1984505
far from it, anon, have you ever played any train game?
>>
>>1984505
I'm sorry the idea of simulating a basic feature of passenger operations that has been present since the very beginning of passenger rail offends you, anon.
>>
>>1984482
The next version of OpenTTD, coming out of beta on April 1, completely replaces the timekeeping system. Ingame ticks and days are replaced with real seconds, and then the player can choose any scaling they like between real-world time and ingame time.

>>1984575
Won't be needed anymore after this month (or you can play the beta version right now).
>>
>>1984715
I thought that getting deep into the game's guts like that was a no-no. Like how there's a menu to build tram networks, but you need to download a third-party NewGRF to actually do that, because trams weren't in the original TTD
>>
>>1984717
>I thought that getting deep into the game's guts like that was a no-no.
>but you need to download a third-party NewGRF to actually do that, because trams weren't in the original TTD
Not at all. The vanilla vehicles aren't included in openttd either. In the old days you had to provide the (copyrighted) original graphics files from the commercial game, but soon enough there were free replacements that match the original vehicles 1:1, except with completely redrawn graphics. Trams aren't included in those default free graphics because that would make them incompatible with the original graphics, which can still be dropped in as a replacement for the open source graphics. It would break compatibility with decades old savegames that some people actually still play (you can probably believe that for an autistic game like this). It would break compatibility for tons of community newGRFs too, which often use pointers to sprites in the base graphics set.

Everything in openttd is interconnected and tangled up with itself and the community like that. There is nothing in the code that can't be changed. It's not true that there's like machine language that no one can read or anything like that. But there are obscure binary data structures and things like that which forever to change because they practically require refactoring the entire codebase. But they have been working on the game for 20 years now. Check out the changelog and a bunch of blog posts they've made recently on opentt.org about the new version. They have a bunch of changes for ships and auto-spacing for vehicles as well.
>>
>>1984715
>The next version of OpenTTD, coming out of beta on April 1, completely replaces the timekeeping system.
some shit
>>
>>1984715
>coming out of beta on April 1
Uh huh.
>>
>>1984889
Every major version of openttd has been released on April 1. And three beta versions and one release candidate for 14.0 have been released since February. You could have been playing it this whole time. No features will change, only fixes if any bugs are discovered.
>>
File: 20240307_183439_img-1.jpg (783 KB, 1920x1080)
783 KB
783 KB JPG
I like transport fever 2.
>>
>>1983633
>what software would you use to make model junctions and rail systems?
You could try Bentley OpenRail or AutoCAD Civil 3D. Start with a surface, draw the alignment, design the standard cross-section, create the corridor, adjust the project to whatever regulations and standards you're following, etc.
>>
File: 1695775785792.gif (1.28 MB, 1920x1038)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB GIF
>>
>>1986631
I do this for a living, but I have no idea how I would simulate trains running on the tracks.
Nowadays I mostly struggle with getting the right property sets to be exported to IFC, which is a true pain in the ass of manually punching info.
>>
>>1983633
OpenTTD

>>1983700
Transport Fever

>>1983730
mini metro

>>1983820
Rolling line

>>1983886
Rail Route

>>1984098
Workers and resources: Soviet Republic

>>1984459
Transport Fever 2

Thanks guys for all the tips!
>>
File: 20240408140337_1.jpg (1.51 MB, 3440x1440)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB JPG
I love Railroader, but the scenery is very bare bones. Let's hope they have finished this game in a couple of years time.
>>
i like spectating the transport autists in openttd multiplayer games
>>
>>1990311
I'm looking forward to Century of Steam.
>>
>>1990866
Hyce is an annoying autist, but the game itself looks alright. I'm not buying any more early access train games though. The release of both Derail Valley and Railroader is probably seven years down the line.
I can always go back to OpenTTD...
>>
>>1984459
It's no struggle, really. Cities in motion 2 shows that it's perfectly possible to come up with a simulation where one can timetable trains every 5 simulated minutes, and things work just fine on a day/night cycle, and you can easily manage a public transit network encompassing dozens of lines.

The problem might be that it restricts the game's appeal to people who don't mind setting a train's timetable, even though the developers tried to automate the drudgery as much as possible (only one click to set vehicles departing every hour/every 15 mins/etc).
>>
File: file.png (3.75 MB, 1728x972)
3.75 MB
3.75 MB PNG
Workers & Resources is fun if you don't mind it also being a citybuilder and economics sim. It's a fun glimpse into what a transport sim could be like if it also combined it with elements of eastern bloc eco-disaster aesthetic.
>>
File: file.png (3.73 MB, 1555x874)
3.73 MB
3.73 MB PNG
>>1993206
>>
File: file.png (3.97 MB, 1536x864)
3.97 MB
3.97 MB PNG
A heavily modded Transport Fever 2 is probably the closest you can get to a game that's more like a three-dimensional trainset sandbox
>>
File: file.png (3.71 MB, 1536x864)
3.71 MB
3.71 MB PNG
>>1993210
>>
File: file.png (3.72 MB, 1536x807)
3.72 MB
3.72 MB PNG
And of course there's the grandaddy of them all, OpenTTD. On most modern systems it's infinitely scalable, although the limitations of its ancient engine can sometimes be frustrating.
>>
File: file.png (2.65 MB, 1536x807)
2.65 MB
2.65 MB PNG
>>1993213
>>
>>1993210
er, rolling line exists
>>
>>1983700
trully big maps
not megalomaniacs but really fucking huge ones
it wont happe cause of the graphics engine they use but i would love to have a 50x50 km map to play around

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.