[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Messina-Strait-Bridge.jpg (501 KB, 1917x1081)
501 KB
501 KB JPG
What are your thoughts on this now that it may actually be built for real?
>>
I seriously hope it happens. Suddenly all those $1 homes in calabria or Sicily would actually be worth buying.
>>
ok I googled it (NASDAQ:GOOG)

it was scandal in sorrento, imagine how shitty this scene would have looked with a ginormous freeway overpass casting a shadow instead of the natural sunlight

nimbyism is self defense. the historic character of these neighborhoods must be preserved, launch all yimbys into the sun
>>
They’ve been discussing it since the Greek times.
It needs to happen and I think it’ll help the Economy of those areas which are pretty impoverished.
>>
>>1986152
They need to build the bridge to help the areas which are sadly, pretty impoverished. I agree with you, Chang, and it seems like something everyone else could agree on too.
>>
>>1986151
Both sides of the strait are basically all commieblocks and illegally built single family homes in the worst Southern Shitalian fashion, especially in the neighborhoods where the bridge landings are actually going to be built. No historical character to preserve, the bridge and related infrastructure if anything add somewhat of a futuristic character that could hopefully uplift the shithole.
t. Actually from there
>>
>>1986151
Ah yes because the one thing Italy notoriously lacks is coastline
>>
>>1986151
This schizo needs a name.

I christen you schizoNIMBY
>>
>>1986152
Nothing will help the economy of those areas because the economy there is bad because the people who live there don't have the proper habits to get the economy to improve. They're lazy and corrupt and no white elephant project will change that.
>>
>>1986178
Nope, more travel and tourism will boost the economy.
If you say anything else you’re just being deliberately obtuse and wrong and it’s obvious.
>>
I believe in the idea that improvements to travel and trade links can uplift less developed areas, but then I have to ask, why is Naples still pretty shitty?
>>
There’s no reason not to build it, it’s just been stalled by assholes in the past
>>
>>1986179
Chang, you handle the trolls with such ease!
>>
>>1986178
The bridge is for the benefit of the whole island, which isn't uniformly underdeveloped and corrupt. The national government, the EU and international corporations have been eyeing up Sicily as a potential logistic hub for a while but the viability of such projects is hindered too much by the ferry bottleneck, even with other improvements to the internal rail network.

The main benefit for the city of Messina is to be freed from the slavery of ferry queues that create giant traffic jams in the whole city, but the greater economical benefits are going to be seen in cities elsewhere on the island because they have bigger ports or greater industrial hubs, or even simply more residents vying for a viable alternative to the airplane to travel to the continent.
>>
>>1986213
Based mods removing schizo rambling so we can actually about transportation and remain on topic.
>>
>>1986218
Yes, my immediate thought was that it would benefit Catania more than anything else.
Though maybe with less people flying in, Catania would be the one place that gets less visitors.
>>
>>1986232
but why that one post and not any of my other schizo rambling? it doesn't make any sense. if anything the removed one was more about transportation because it mentioned ferries. the second one was just about freeways, the discussion of which is barely relevant to this board but has somehow become the main topic since yimby spammers took over
>>
Bump
>>
>>1986147
better get one before the bridge building actually starts. maybe it's different in southern italy; it probably is, but in more developed places even the whisper of a big new transportation project, especially if in a big city, can send speculative real estate values up
>>
>>1986119
why does it look like that render has been reduced in resolution using nearest-neighbor
>>
>>1986157
Ganzirri is somewhat nice tho.
>>1986119
They're starting eminent domain expropriations, I only hope they don't start the excavations and leave it half done, that's the worst scenario.
As someone said, given the specifics the project is more akin to aerospace rather than civil engineering, the winds are very strong in the strait and 3 kms span without middle pillars is challenging itself.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.