[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: combine_images (34).jpg (186 KB, 2000x1000)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
Pan Am vs TWA
>>
>>1986562
Is PanAm still around, what happened? Also I don't care about trans airlines
>>
File: 331799.jpg (86 KB, 1000x563)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
I've actually taken both since I'm an old geezer. Pan Am was better. Also we used to call TWA "Terrorist World Airways"

>>1986936
Is this a boomer contest because I think you won
>>
File: 1700053511316.jpg (84 KB, 800x1000)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
Juan Trippe had the biggest cock of any executive in the past century
>Gets airmail contracts he obviously can't deliver
>pays random drunk to perform inaugural service so the feds won't pull the contract
>locks every other airline out of international routes for nearly half a century
>gets Boeing to build the 707 to HIS specifications
>bullies Pratt & Whitney into giving him an experimental engine to power the 707
>launch customer for the 747
>launch customer for the 727
>builds the girthiest office building in upper manhattan so competitors have to see his name every day
>sold tickets to the FUCKING MOON
>Rolex designed a watch for HIS pilots
>hired only well-educated, gorgeous stewardesses, fat shamed them into staying skinny and fired them when they got old
god damn this country used to be fucking great
>>
>>1986562
>PanAm
>TWA
>Eastern
>Swissair
>Olympic
>Alitalia
>all emblematic airlines of the golden age of air travel have gone bankrupt
What happened?
>>
>>1987108
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_deregulation
>>
>trans am
makes you think
>>
>>1987108
Late stage crapitalism happened. Enjoy your eventual monopoly.
>>
>>1987305
what happens in the terminal stage
>>
>>1987311
>capitalism has failed
>any minute now
>>
>>1987327
good goy
>>
(((trans))) world airlines
>>
>>1986562
Easy: Continental, followed by Piedmont as a distant second.

In fact, I am using a Continental Cargo coaster right now.
>>
>>1990206
>Continental, followed by Piedmont
A man of taste

Continental especially was a great airline
>>
>>1990207
Continental still served hot meals on most of their flights up until the merger with United, which were actually pretty good.

Piedmont was just a comfy airline and also, these videos exist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs4H5093TQk&ab_channel=jhe757
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d97rngIiWZE&ab_channel=jhe757

I might as well make an honorable mention for Western, Wien Air Alaska and Chalk's Ocean Airways.
>>
>>1990207
>>1990206
I'm mildly seething at the fact that you kids are doing a nostalgia circlejerk over CONTINENTAL, they literally just merged with UA just a few years ago, they're basically still an airline, and don't get me started on the Northwest shit, as far as I'm concerned the DL merger never happened, got it? It NEVER happened.
>>
>>1990287
You are right, they just recently merged. It does not change the fact that Continental was the best airline post-deregulation. Simple as.

At least I did not say Virgin America lol.
>>
>>1986562
I am a boomer, but the best airline was British United. Laker Airways was the best budget carrier.
>>1987108
>America? Deregulation.
>Swissair? Poor financial decisions.
>Olympic? The Greek economy.
>Alitalia? Poor financial decisions, again.

Not all the emblematic airlines are gone, there is still QANTAS, Air Canada, Aeroflot, Aer Lingus and Iberia (though I preferred Spantax). South African Airways is still going, albeit on life support.

There are some airlines I wish were out of business, though (a certain airline group owned by Richard Branson comes to mind).

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.