[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: rec.jpg (369 KB, 1264x948)
369 KB
369 KB JPG
Why don't you own one with direct front drive?
>>
File: recc.jpg (93 KB, 1269x952)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>
File: reccc.jpg (229 KB, 1175x736)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
>>
File: DSC_6759 2.jpg (51 KB, 640x425)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>
I'd love one, but don't you get sweaty back on this thing? Maybe make the seat from a mesh like a high-end office chair?
>>
>>1988222
those are diy concepts

not bat the idea of fwd with back steering as in last photo.

i would took the design of first bike with functionality of second.
>>
>>1988223
>i would took the design of first bike with functionality of second.
Just flip the seat back-to-front, mate.
>>
>>1988223
The problem is that the second design is inherently unstable, rear wheel steering by itself won't keep the bike stable.
>>
File: 8d9da758e83f.jpg (284 KB, 768x804)
284 KB
284 KB JPG
>>1988213
>>
>>1988213
>Have recumbent
>smol 10% incline appears
>tip over
Its a shit concept
>>
>>1988213
that's a gear hub? what is the range equivalent to in terms of derailleur bikes?
>>
>>1988310
why would you tip over
>>
File: IMG_20230702_204902-01~01.jpg (1.24 MB, 1920x1440)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB JPG
>>1988213
>Why don't you own one with direct front drive?
Nah, I'm fine with my RWD
>>
>>1988487
Because if you drive up a steep road for a few kilometers and have a inferior body position to balance yourself at slow speeds you will tip over.
>just go faster
You cant go faster because the position is worse for max power.
>>
>>1988213
i would love to but im poor
id rather have chain drive tho desu
>>
>>1988344
fuck all because hubs are memes
>>
>>1988525
facepalming rn
>>
>>1989217
yeah i hate hubs. i don't even have hubs on my bike.
>>
File: trike2-1_2_orig (1).jpg (58 KB, 907x325)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
what about three wheels
>>
>>1988213
It has cum in the name
>>
>>1990112
>expensive
>heavy
>three places to get a puncture instead of two
>normies can ride it
I'll pass
>>
>>1988213
tricky to steer
>>1988344
idk since it has no input multiplier other than the crank length .ie very little,
most epicyclic gear hubs are around 33% +- of what ever gear inch ratio you started with, and do have torque input limts that preclude the use of smaller chain rings
epicyclic also have the option of acting like a cvt but only tanks and toyotas do that.
>>1989217
the weight and drag + the dog clutches are all part of the fun, that and indexing tiny pull chains and levers.
>>1988222
some are complex like hammocks but most are more akin to the loose foam mesh that is on higher end backpacks.
>>
File: IMG_20181205_091927.jpg (366 KB, 1280x720)
366 KB
366 KB JPG
>>1990112
now 4 wheels
>>
>>1990316
>two wheels good
>four wheels bad
cageless-cage reeee
>>
>>1990327
>add big ebike motor
>add fearing
problem cagies?
problem cyclists?
>>
>>1990227
>a puncture
Just slap marathon pluses, mate.
>>
>>1990331
i bought some and immediately got a puncture lol
theyre very heavy tyres too but i guess that doesnt rly matter for a recumbent
>>
>>1990335
>i bought some and immediately got a puncture lol
lmao how?
I did over 8k km with no puncture whatsoever and run them way underinflated too at times.
>theyre very heavy tyres too but i guess that doesnt rly matter for a recumbent
That's the point.
>>
>>1990341
i went 30 miles
my local roads have been absolutely destroyed by the winter
sometimes i have to tank a pothole at 30mph because 4/5 of the road is taken up by a car
i haul alot of weight in my bags
when my bikes unloaded i can hop and manuever around them alot more easily but i can only hop and swerve my front wheel because my bike is very backheavy when its loaded
i also dont have suspension and starting to reconsider that decision
my car is on its spare rn too lol
my bike gets punctures all the got damn time
i changed the toob and its been fine since but yeah theres no such thing as puncture proof
also skinny tyres are a meme i got 1.5s for a laff and they do feel fast and nimble and fun but unless you have nice smooth roads theyre fucked
my next pair of tyres are gonna be the fattest i can fit in my frame
>>
File: recc.jpg (69 KB, 777x637)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>
File: reccc.jpg (56 KB, 732x460)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>
File: mrc.jpg (25 KB, 712x322)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>
File: ccceee.jpg (61 KB, 738x461)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>
>>
File: pottery.jpg (9 KB, 376x134)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>1990873
>>1990874
>>1990875
>>1990876
>>1990877
What's the point in spending money for the shell if you're going to leave the wheels exposed? Doesn't that just about double your drag?
Also, do any anons have experience frankensteining a good reCUMbent (for speed, not muh comfort) out of old bike frames/parts?
>>
recumbent bikes are gay as fuck unless you have a disability. my back is fucked, so i'm probably going to be riding in one of these queer mobiles with you fags. maybe we can do a meetup and all get ran over by the same truck.
>>
>>1989218
Everyone knows hills are the only reason recumbents aren’t literally the superior alternative to road bicycles I don’t understand why you’re embarrassed about it
>>
>>1990992
Good question. Shell without fenders is probably still much easier and cheaper to do. Definitely lighter. Frontal area would also increase. Small and narrow wheels might be okey even if they're not aero. But I'd build my velomobile in hot rod style with aero wheels. Maybe a tadpole configuration.
>>
>>1990419
ok so you're just a fat retard that gets snakebite punctures all the time from running your tyres at 15 psi, got it
>>
File: 20240413_082637.jpg (1.33 MB, 2364x1557)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB JPG
I have this, cost me about 350€ + 200€ in tools, replacements and a pair of schwalbe marathon plus. Will be riding it tomorrow, the rear derailleur needs some adjustment but I'm lazy and it's still pretty much usable, so I'll fix it later.
>>1990994 we got one bois, hope you have fun
>>
File: IMG_0089.jpg (395 KB, 1600x1200)
395 KB
395 KB JPG
>>1991165
Following on that. My main goal, whenever I have some spare money, is to build a 4 wheeled velomobile, kind of like the le mans, pictured here.
Except I want it to have the following requirements:
> able to tilt
> 4 wheels
> easier cabin access
> wheels fairings
> more ground clearance
> different materials for the other shell: fabric, plastic, etc.
> aluminum frame and maybe, just maybe carbon fiber monocoque at some point
> a version with solar panels akin to the cars seen in the Australian solar race

Not sure if I'll be able to fulfill all the requirements, but in a perfect machine all those would be present.
>>
>>1991166
Following up on this comment.

>>1990876
>>1990875
>>1990874
>>1990873
None of these look like they have enough leg room to pedal.

>>1990877
This one is the Northern Lights velo.
I like it a lot aesthetically, but it's not practical at all.
No suspension, too wide, rear wheel exposed, and these are only what comes on top of my head. It does have potential in a future version maybe.
>>
File: swcr.jpg (126 KB, 888x661)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>1991168
https://youtu.be/yLtRkxh7ioc

make hem electric and use electricity to transfer power from pedals to wheels.
thy way you are not dependent on mechanical limitations and the arms and suspension that sustain the cockpit are free to move as in the this toy:

https://youtu.be/yLtRkxh7ioc
>>
https://www.swincar.net/
>>
>>1991174
with this concept of pendulum you can construct , a land rover and a supersport car, both in the same vehicle while maintaining it cheap to manufacture and energy efficient.

wish some bigger companies will explore the concept of a pendulum with movable arms and engines in wheels
>>
https://youtu.be/fjdTgcVAkkQ

i declare it the official /n/ transportation vehicle
>>
https://youtu.be/rK0p0WuUvbQ
>>
>>
>>1991171
E transmission is like the worst kind of transmission there are.
> Heavy: you need a motor for propulsion and another one to generate energy
> Inefficient: conversion ratio is somewhere around 60%, compared to +90%in traditional chains
> Limited: to stay legal you can't go over 25km/h (Europe) even if you pedal enough to go at 40km/h, you're limited to 25 by law, in a classic chain + motor system at +25km/h the motor disengages and you can keep accelerating with the chain
The swincar, although cool is incredibly over engineered to the point where maintenance is almost a full time job given all the systems and movable parts it has. All that just to go a little more comfortable. Doesn't even have a roof.

>>1991181
I like this one, as long as it has chain drive. It looks like a mix of bicycle and car which retains the familiarity unlike velomobiles, which are dildos with wheels (I like velos, but it's the truth). This one is more car shaped and could help bring more people to these kinds of transportation methods. It already protects you from the elements, all you need now is e assist and a reasonable pricetag and I'm pretty sure it could find a fairly ample niche in the Personal Mobility Vehicle market.
>>
>>1990874
>>1990875
>>1990876
>>1990877
>>1991166
I think a big problem with this style of velomobile is that windows are too big. And on the sun it becomes an absolute hot box. This might be good in the winter (if you're lucky to get any sun), but in the summer it would be insane.
Windows should be as small as possible and forward slanting (like boats. see pic). this prevents direct sun exposure.
Also should be the same on the sides. Aerodynamics might suffer a bit, but if you make the window curved and on the side some channels for the airflow, I think it can be mitigated quite well.
>>
File: zxre4tmwcorc1.jpg (197 KB, 1439x1588)
197 KB
197 KB JPG
>>1991487
>I think a big problem with this style of velomobile is that windows are too big. And on the sun it becomes an absolute hot box. This might be good in the winter (if you're lucky to get any sun), but in the summer it would be insane.
>Windows should be as small as possible and forward slanting (like boats. see pic). this prevents direct sun exposure.
>Also should be the same on the sides. Aerodynamics might suffer a bit, but if you make the window curved and on the side some channels for the airflow, I think it can be mitigated quite well.

Regarding windows, Velos (not, conceptual, but real ones like Quatrevelo, Büik, Snöek, Milan, etc.) usually have the windows they have because they use the same visors as motorcycle helmets. Otherwise getting real glass, and not scratch-prone plastic to that shape isn't cheap. But what you saying is probably sensible.

Regarding heat, check pic related. Coloring of your velo goes a long way regarding heat management, also air intakes and maybe a small 5v ventilator will be plenty. But driving those things sweat free will probably only be possible with e-assist and on maximum assist.
>>
>>1991775
Majority of real velos don't have windows at all, but those versions that do , the windows are really small.
And if they really are the helmet visors, you could still design a window , where visor is turned upside down, and it would be forward slanting.
Of course the paint makes a big difference too.
Would be interesting to see what can be done with IR cooling paint, if/when you could buy it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3bJnKmeNJY
Although there already exist IR reflecting paint (Used for houses with IR heating panels) and it would be interesting to see if it makes a difference compared to normal white paint.
>>
>>1991815
>Majority of real velos don't have windows at all, but those versions that do , the windows are really small.

I think you are confusing velos with world record setting streamliners.

>And if they really are the helmet visors, you could still design a window , where visor is turned upside down, and it would be forward slanting.

You're not wrong.

>Of course the paint makes a big difference too.
>Would be interesting to see what can be done with IR cooling paint, if/when you could buy it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3bJnKmeNJY [Open]
>Although there already exist IR reflecting paint (Used for houses with IR heating panels) and it would be interesting to see if it makes a difference compared to normal white paint.

A very interesting watch, I just bingewatched all his videos on cooling paint, very interesting. I don't like how thick it must be to make use of the snow-like reflectivity tho. Some tests with other types of paint types (silicon, and vinyl based paints) to make the paint more flexible. Due to the vibrations that happen on the road, having paints that can withstand the flex of frame are a must. But on those you'll probably be sacrificing the ability of a rylic to puff up and add heat reflectiveness. At witch point I'm not really sure it's better than just good old off the shelve white paint. Maybe they even sell a more reflective paint ready for cars (and velos), will have to research that. Very fun series of videos to watch tho.
>>
File: s-l1600b.jpg (207 KB, 1900x1600)
207 KB
207 KB JPG
>>1991908
>I think you are confusing velos with world record setting streamliners.
I worded that very poorly. Majority of real velos are open cockpit, therefore no windows. Only some of them have additional hood over the head, with windows. And those are mostly meant for the rainy days, as far as I understand.
>On topic of helmets
Pic related. It's a quick sketch, but I think it has a potential. kinda like some medieval helmets.
>A very interesting watch
Also check Tech Ingredients yt channel, they have some videos on that topic too.
>>
>>1991006
by that logic all the people in the netherlands would be recumming since the country is entirely flat, but they're not. main reason is it looks uncool.
>>
>>1991181
LS Swap when?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfna15r4EXM
>>
>>1991977
You're not wrong. If you want to see how socially accepted something is just look at how many women use it. I really doubt it that there is more than 5 women that use Velos out of their own accord.

The two main factors that keep normies away from velos are:

> Price: The cheapest model there is right now, which will be unveiled at Spezi 2024 is the Büik essential, which will start at 5500€, that's big money for a bike, I got myself 3 bikes for 1200€, for reference.
> Social acceptance/cool factor: basically what I said I the first paragraph.
>>
>>1991952
Personally I wouldn't use a velo without a racing hood like the one in pic related (it's the Snöek).
The drag reduction you get by putting it on make it more than worth it.
But I guess you are right, many normies wouldn't use the hood unless it's raining.
>>
Thinking about it the phalic shape can also be a detriment to getting one.
So my idea would be something like the Dijker (bottom pic) and the nose of the Viper Mk II from Battlestar Galactica.

This would serve the double purpose of not making it look like the tip of a dick and be the intake for ventilation (should be able to be closed when it's cold outside).
The point should be made from a material that can be bent so it doesn't go slicing knees if it imcta a person.
Legroom should also be researched and considered. To reduce the profile linear pedals instead of circular maybe should be considered despite being slightly less efficient.
>>
>>1992108 fuck, forgot pic

With this kind of nose it would probably feel more like a fighter rather than a dick.
>>
File: v2d.png (467 KB, 1892x871)
467 KB
467 KB PNG
>>1992106
>Personally I wouldn't use a velo without a racing hood
I agree. I am mostly interested in velomobiles as an all-weather vehicle, so it needs to be fully enclosed; similar to a car.
Something I don't like with the hoods is that if you open it when it is raining, the rain starts to fall directly onto the seat. In comparison the car doors are much better, the rain does not wet the seat (most of the time). And also I think that many velos require you to step on the seat when getting in, which can make it really dirty in bad weather. I am thinking more about the whole velo horizontally split in half, and the the top half opens up (like a car hood, but not just the front, but whole length. Kinda like Funny car dragsters). This way the top half still provides some protection directly above the seat. It does weaken the body though, so I am not sure yet.
>>1992108
>Thinking about it the phalic shape can also be a detriment to getting one.
Is this any better?
>>
File: veloo.jpg (83 KB, 644x644)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>1991815
>>
>>1992186
LoL are you the pissyvelo shitposter from a very old thread? That was kinda funny.

I thought about upening the velo like you described, it's one of my options.
>>
>>1992209
>LoL are you the pissyvelo shitposter
Hey, I am not a shitposter. I am very serious in designing my own velomobile. I am thinking about it for more than 10 years, so I am sure I will make it real soon.

Actually a couple months ago I did some airflow simulations, the result was that my design is shit.
>>
>>1992186
>>1992218
Cuntmobile is back lmao
Had a good laugh in the old thread
>>
anoyone know where i can find a new headrest for my M-009 tadpole that doesn't cost $90?
>>
File: v3b.png (407 KB, 1730x689)
407 KB
407 KB PNG
>>1992291
>>1992209
>>1992218
>Actually a couple months ago I did some airflow simulations, the result was that my design is shit.
Pic related. I went with forward slanted windshield. Also on the side the top is slanted outwards. To protect against the sun. At the front the window is bigger for better visibility.
Enclosed wheels. The whole velo is quite high, because the hottest air is always at the top and there is also where the head is, so I tried to give more headroom. But extra height is not good for aerodynamics. Forward slanted window also not good. Mainly I think, because of high sides, so the air doesn't have anywhere to go. But I need these high sides because of the riders shoulders and also the wheels.
I was also trying with different angles at the back (kammback style). For my surprise the sharp transition from main body to the angle gave better results than smooth (fillet) one.
Aerodynamics is though.
>>
>>1992362
Design issues I see right off the bat.

>Large profile: will act as a sail in crosswinds
>Large windows: adds a lot of weight if using a hard material or very scratch prone if using something lighter and weaker. Will need to be replaced, which will be expensive and a PITA.
> Condensation: the thermal difference between inside and outside will condensate the air on the window. Unless you have some kind of holes or fan that blows air into it.

Current commercial velos (Bulk, snoek, and the likes) the the way they are because of a reason, and your velo defies all of that. If you go for style rather than efficient you'd still have to solve the issues I greentexted. Wishing you good luck.

What software is that btw?
>>
>>1992685
>Large profile: will act as a sail in crosswinds
Some say that can help go faster, sailing like a sail boat. I assume it might work in steady winds, but in sharp abrupt winds seems to be more trouble.
Otherwise I agree with all you said. That all was my concern, but I was playing around with forward slanted window design and I ended with this shape. if it would prove to be good aerodynamically, I might compromise on other stuff, but it is not.
Also it's impossible to see any traffic lights, because you can't see above eyelevel.
That is why I have abandoned that design. It is no good on any aspect. I thought of it, I tried it. In a trash it goes.
Next one will be more slim and compact. And small window. I still want to make it forward slanted though.
I've got some new ideas, I'll see how it goes.
Software is solidworks.
>>
>>1990873
>>1990874
>>1990875
>>1990876
would
give it thicker tyres tho i wanna be able to corner like a car
and an ebike motor
electric cars are solved
>>1990992
ive been thinking of learning to weld for that purpose
i wanna get a load of old steel shitboxes and cut and weld them up into some frankenstein bikes
some kinda lowracer thingy would be fun
got big plans for a 4 wheeled cargo bike thingy
id rly love to try making a fiberglass fairing for a regular bicycle also
if only i wasnt poor :(
>>
>>1991165
comfe
>>1991166
sex
god please somebody put an ebike motor in one of these and make cagies seethe
>>
>>1991166
>4 wheel
>tilting
>ground clearence
>solar panels
based
thats the same shit i wanna see on a vehicle like this
good luck with that though
start off with a basic non tilting recumbent trike and a front fairing and see how that goes before you commit to a complex project like that
ive been thinking of a vehicle like this but with tandem seating and cargo space also
the perfect car the government wont let us have is out there in velomobile land
>>
>>1991168
i believe those are gravity racers not velomobiles
>>
>>1991171
if only the swincar was more than a toy its so based
i agree though at a certain point if you have enough electric power you mayaswell just have the pedals be a generator for the battery instead of directly driving
>>
>>1991177
unfortunately its a car and not a very useful or practical one
but it has potential
>>1991181
cute
would
>>
>>1991293
>his ebike is legal
hahhhahhha *twists throttle and zooms away*
>>
if digits recumbents are banned from this board
>>
>>1992186
i wanna make that thing in automation
>>
>>1992362
that looks sick but you really didnt need simulations to tell you its unearodynamic
>>
File: s-l1600q4rfqirewjfperji.jpg (313 KB, 1199x1600)
313 KB
313 KB JPG
>>1993333
try and stop me
>>
>>1990112
>>1990316
cor

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.