[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

>cycling on sidewalks is... le misdemeanor!
>you should drive on the streets with a speed limit under 50 km/h
name a more braindead law than this, jesus fucking christ
99% of people riding bicycles do it all their life
I am convinced the only reason this law exists is so that the ONE time some cop(s) with nothing better to do blocks your path, they can milk you for fines and report all your personal info to the big brother system

the whole fucking point of a bicycle is that you are not a car and that you can go places cars cannot, but carbrained lawyers the want to regulate the shit out of it for some reason, even in le walkable non-carbrained EU city

fuck I'm so pissed off right now
>>
File: meds.png (882 KB, 1116x1366)
882 KB
882 KB PNG
Oops! You forgot to take your meds today!
>>
Hey
Basically I'm just not gonna ride the sidewalk
I know.... UGH I know ..... I'm sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's just that I'm not gonna ride it is all
>>
File: curb-cuts.jpg (48 KB, 620x413)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
the sidewalk fags are right, and forester fags are just pissed off idealists who can't accept reality.

that said i'm not riding on the fucking sidewalk. i rather risk imminent death and get ran over by a dumb 19yo mexican whore, whose scrolling through tiktok, while doing 60mph down a residential street, in her '90s SUV, than deal with all the fucking street crossings, wheel chair ramps, randomly ending stretches of sidewalk, tree roots, uneven slabs, unconscious vagrants, etc.

riding on the sidewalk is agony.
>>
>>1989521
OH MY GOD I'M GOING TO KILL YOU RIGHT NOW
have fun when they pull you over and then also demand all your documents and where you live when it happens so you can live in perpetual fear and humiliation by the nanny state and cops with nothing better to do
>>
>>1989529
>riding on the sidewalk is agony
skill issue + america issue
>>
>>1989535
>skill issue
>just expend a lot of extra energy on your ride for no reason bro

no. the road is nice, smooth and level.
>>
>>1989535
t. Sidewalk cyclist
>>
>>1989540
why the fuck do you want people to be cycling in roads when there is no point or merit, or more crucially ROOM
you got a guy going 10-20 at best and then cars going 40-50 having to constantly swerve and go across the middle of the road to overtake even if you're on the edge of the road
the sidewalks are usually just as smooth (made out of granite or concrete blocks) with next to no traffic next to a road that has traffic, especially when all your destinations require getting off the sidewalk/the grid, why the fuck would I have to mount curbs all the time to do the same thing but in a more inefficient manner
the only time where it makes sense to cycle on the street more than the sidewalks is when you are in an already slow residential area with no traffic
this shit is a scam for a non-issue unless you're an absolute shitter
>>
>>1989544
i just explained it here >>1989529. my options are to have a safer ride on the sidewalk but experience more obstructions and have a less pleasant ride, or have a pleasant, smooth ride but risk getting brained by a honda. i the know the forester fags would typically argue that sidewalks and bike lanes are more unsafe, or increase certain types of accidents, or whatever, but i much prefer them.. it's just that they're NEVER implemented or maintained correctly. so catch me on the reluctantly pedaling on the boulevard, ready to kick in quarter panels.
>>
The bicyclist is (quite rightfully) seen as an intruder in both the sidewalk and road domain. For the inhabitants of both mediums, this poses a risk to them as the cyclist attempts to operate their toy in a specialized space not intended for it. However, on the sidewalk a greater risk is presented to the rightful owners of that space, whereas in the road the cyclist assumes a larger share of the risk.
>>
>>1989545
As someone living in Poland I cannot relate to any of this. The only people who cycle on the streets are either pro/tryhard cyclists on ultralights or geriatric grandpas who just end up holding up traffic regardless of what the legal codex might say.
>>1989547
>toy
>intruder
This sounds like complete looney jargon, and also comes off as extremely autistic/drugged up speech. The bicycle much like your car (a larger so-called toy) is just a means to get from point a to point b and to conserve your calories/assist yourself incase of injury/carry additional cargo.
>>
>>1989548
>bicycle much like your car (a larger so-called toy) is just a means to get from point a to point b
So disingenuous it's hilarious. A car is an utterly transformative method of transportation, a bicycle is not.
>>
File: sidepath.png (970 KB, 924x548)
970 KB
970 KB PNG
>>1989545
>it's just that they're NEVER implemented or maintained correctly.
it looks to me as though you are in fact a "forester fag" and have just been brainwashed by the segregationist crowd into thinking you're not because he's The Bad Guy and you feel obligated to fight The Bad Guy

forester did nothing wrong
>>
>>1989550
>Quite obviously, if the sidewalk was better than the roadway, no law would be required to compel pedestrians to use it.
Jaywalking laws btfo
>>
>>1989549
The automobile is a high-powered wagon, substituting the horse. The bicycle fills a completely different niche, with the bicycle there's less restrictions on where you can go and thus places its mobility and form factor closer to the pedestrian even though the general behavior should be the same as any larger vehicle.
>>
>>1989547
>literal Auto Lobby propaganda rant

Roads are meant for people. Cars are an invasive species.
>>
>>1989545
>i the know the forester fags would typically argue that sidewalks and bike lanes are more unsafe, or increase certain types of accidents, or whatever, but i much prefer them
Not a "forrester fag" but yes sidewalk riding is unambiguously more dangerous in city conditions for some very obvious reasons. I even made a crude MSPaint diagram the last time faggot OP posted this thread. If you're in a suburban area with large setbacks and parking lots and such, this isn't such an issue.
>>
IRL example
If you're riding on the sidewalk and a car is pulling through the crosswalk, you have no time to stop. If you're in the road you have a better angle and will be able to see the car pulling out and stop in time (unless you're going retard speed and not paying attention in which case everywhere is dangerous and you deserve what you get)
>>
>>1989558
>>1989559
Just ride with pedestrian speed at crossings. Problem solved.
>>
>>1989520
Kek
Just go faster bro. I can easily achieve 40km/h over some distance. Its not that bad if cars are only allowed 50. And in heavy traffic overtaking me is pretty much impossible.
>>
>>1989563
>Just ride with pedestrian speed at crossings
Yes that is one option.

Of course there's also the issue that you'll be bothering pedestrians and if cyclists make a habit of riding on the sidewalk, you'll eventually get caught local cops who will give you a well-earned citation. Again, not an issue in suburban areas since there aren't likely a lot of pedestrians to bother or complain to authorities if you're violating ordinances. But definitely an issue in a city.
>>
>>1989559
literally a non-issue
you can just dismount every time you wish to cross a street and revert to a pedestrian, this is common practice
when you are cycling you will frequently find yourself stopping in place or dismounting, you cannot do that on a street
>>
>>1989581
>when you are cycling you will frequently find yourself stopping in place or dismounting, you cannot do that on a street
You often can, and of course can always just move to the sidewalk and get off and walk if you want to.
Incidentally, retard OP's picture is a reference to a place in Montreal where cyclists were complaining because they were being ticketed for NOT riding on the sidewalk under this particular underpass.
>>
>>1989556
>bicycles came after pedestrians, that's okay
>automobiles came after bicycles, that's WRONG
>>
>>1989583
retard OP's picture wasn't a reference to anything dumas you're overthinking it
people grab the first thing they can find on image searches relevant to them
>>
>>1989566
hmm yes let us maintain a constant 40km/h pace speed on a 15-20kg steel frame on two wheels with accessories and cargo
>>
>>1989628
Are you retarded? Why would anyone use a bike thats 15-20kg? Whats the point?
I can easily strap a lot of cargo on my 7,5kg carbon race machine. You could even wear a backpack and double your cargo capacity.
>>
I biked on Roads exclusively on SoCal for 15 years without ever using a bike lane or trail because our infrastructure was so anti bike. I had 3 angry divers one of which called the sheriff's and we got a ticket for riding on the road. It was cheaper to pay than to even consult a lawyer but I made sure to contest it to make the cop show up. New bike lanes are separated from the road by a cement barrier and they are really nice. The old bike lanes were 18 inches of gutter, just a line painted on the road and they were filled with debris like branches and trash. Definitely dangerous
>>
>>1989622
Did I fucking stutter?
>>
>>1989658
The average bicycle weighs around 10-14 kg but that's obviously not the only weight you'll be carrying (backpacks, bags, pouches, water, etc). You're not going to be competing with people on exotic carbon racing machines (which most people don't even have access to) for very long on pure pace because you have more than twice the load to push.
>>
>>1989663
bike lanes are anti-bike though
>>
>>1989763
bike lanes are a fucking meme and I have no idea why they exist
trails are not the same as bike lanes
just use the fucking sidewalk why do you need bike lanes
waste of resources
>>
I'd rather take a fine for cycling on the sidewalk than risk being turned into a meaty pulp by a giant heavy metal wagon (especially during rush hour or in traffic, regardless if it's in Europe or European Colonies). No idea why this shit is even a debate, this is a classic case of the law being made by dipshits who are completely out of touch with the needs of the people on the ground. The law is separate from common sense here.
>>
>>1989627
>OP's picture wasn't a reference
No shit, moron. I know OP had no idea where it came from. He's a shitposting idiot just like you. I'm pointing out were the picture came from because there's an actual real-world story relevant to the topic associated with it.
>overthinking
Not at all. In fact, this board has a serious problem with underthinking, like being totally unable to wrap their heads around a real-life scenario.
>>
>>1989780
Belligerent retard spotted. The only person who is underthinking the situation here is you. Fucking asshole. Dickhead. Over a discussion about fucking cycling laws. Fucking unbelievable.
>>
>>1989566
>Just go faster bro
This is the pedestrian equivalent of "just drive faster bro". A complete troll response and not in any way a serious solution.
>>
>>1989763
>>1989776
(You)
>>
>>1989792
thinking this man has no dick or testicle, greeting from kyzyl, tuva, we have bicycle roads specially handmade
>>
>>1989520
It's not even a real law in most places, aparently it is the law in NYC and parts of California and the people living there thinks the whole country runs on their laws.
Here it's actually illegal to ride on the road if there is an unobstructed sidewalk or bike lane.
>>
>>1989815
>kyzyl, tuva
R A R E
>>
>>1989816
Warsaw resident here
Come local elections and there's been a sudden uptick in people getting caught riding on sidewalks even though nobody fucking cycles on streets unless there's next to no traffic or if they're already quiet to begin with
Everyone who I've ever spoken to on the street or other cyclist about it has always reacted with a mixture of surprise when I tell them it's apparently illegal to do so considering everyone generally teaches their children to not cycle on streets due to it being dangerous especially during rush hour and when there's high traffic
It's so retarded considering how useful the sidewalks are for cyclists here and how it is often the only way of getting around on bicycle, pretty much all the people I've spoken to have agreed it makes no sense and that they're probably just looking to fine people for $$$ so it looks like some shit is getting done
>>
>>1989520
bikes belong on trails and in parks, not in the fucking city
get off the road, get the fuck off the sidewalk you neon shitstains
>>
>>1989520
No such law here
>>
>>1990229
touch grass
>>
>>1990229
>cars belong on the country side and outside summer camps, not in the fucking city
>get off the road, get the fuck off the sidewalk you neon shitstains

FTFY
>>
Didn't a sidewalk rider get a pedestrian thrown in prison because they lost control and got killed while riding on the sidewalk? And so they charged the pedestrian with like involuntary manslaughter for yelling at the cyclist?
>>
>>1990615
No a fat karen got a granny killed by having a karen moment.
>>
>>1989544
>why the fuck do you want people to be cycling in roads
Nobody wants this. Roads are for cars, sidewalks are for pedestrians. Bicycles should be ridden only in triathlons and between the homes of ten year-old friends.
>>
>>1990623

>>1989556
>>
>>1989556
Roads are meant for carriages. Pedestrians are an invasive species.
>>
>>1991098
Back to r*ddit, subhuman.
>>
>>1991099
>>1991100
least obvious /o/ tourist bait
>>
>>1991106
But he is right. Forever key point of the road was ability to drive carriage over it (horse butt joke https://papersourceonline.com/roman-horses-butts-designed-space-shuttles)
Way that doesn't support carriages is not a road it's a footpath.
>>
this is the only place on the internet I see people take john forrester seriously and actually propose that seperated bike lanes are bad and "anti bike" (but also it's totally bad to make streets car free)
>>
>>1991126
this is one of the only places on the internet where you can't block people who disagree with you, and where "the algorithm" won't force you into a little circlejerk echo chamber. if a janny doesn't like you, they can certainly take measures to ensure your point of view gets hidden, but beyond that, if someone has a different opinion, you're going to see it
>>
>>1991099
>>1991109
cage brain posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO_1AdYRGW8
>>
>>1991133
cool, you're the only one implying I need people banned, all i'm saying is they are retards and have no idea what they are talking about.
>>
>>1991136
that's your way though, you segregationists are all about power tripping and forcing people to do everything your way, to obey your whims, to live in the way you approve. if you could implant elon levy brand neuro-link chips in everyone and force them to have your thoughts, you would do so without hesitation.
>>
>>1991137
no, that's all shit you made up in your head to justify your schizo rant. explain how cars and bikes being on the same road are good for cyclists at all or you are just a faggot who doesn't actually bike.
>>
>>1991140
you're obviously only here to stir shit up and pick fights, so no, not going to engage with you. have fun being wrong!
>>
>>1991134
And how does it contradict anything I said? These streets key characteristic is that they support moving of Roman standard chariots
>>
There are plenty of side streets with practically zero traffic. If you ride exclusively on major thoroughfares out of habit you are an idiot. Look at a map and try different routes.

You are many times more likely to be hit by a car riding on the sidewalk, especially if you ride against traffic. Drivers stop with their vehicle blocking the entire sidewalk if they stop at all. They don't look for anything coming from the wrong direction.
>>
>>1991142
>forrester murderer thinks the people saying you shouldn't do shit that will get people killed are the trolls.

Unironically kill yourself.
>>
>>1989521
>no one legitimately answered any of those questions
>>
>>1989521
Actually answer at least one of those questions or you're just a retarded auto lobby shill. No "you're just a troll!", no dodging the question, no being a delusional narcissistic supervillain like >>1991142. Either answer the question or fuck off,
>>
>>1993415
You're frustrated that you're not getting any (You)'s and I want to help, so here have one, it's on me
>>
>>1989544
>then cars going 40-50 having to constantly swerve and go across the middle of the road to overtake
What's the problem? In my country, it's completely the overtakers responsibility to pass safely. It has nothing to do with me. In fact I love when they get pissed and go into oncoming traffic in a blind rage. I'm all thumbs up and smiles to every single driver. Especially the gigamad ones.
>>
>>1991099
road are shared use and always have been
>>
File: 1706405838577673.png (187 KB, 460x345)
187 KB
187 KB PNG
>>1989559
>If you're riding on the sidewalk and a car is pulling through the crosswalk, you have no time to stop.
Maybe if you are a literal retard with zero sense of self preservation
>>
File: 1705581765822134.png (3.35 MB, 1600x1200)
3.35 MB
3.35 MB PNG
>>1990615
In my country they keep dying because sidewalk riding is technically illegal, unenforced but all the literature keeps telling noobs to ride on the roads. So they ride in the gutter, filter at junctions like the markings tell them too and then get squashed. Also the sidewalks do randomly have bike infrastructure on them.
Pic related. The road is for bikes, the bikelane is actually a bus lane with a bus stop and the sidewalk is for bikes.
>>
>>1991109
Most laws regard bikes as carriages and that is why you cannot ride them on sidewalks
>>
>>1991136
>>1991126
stay in your walled garden, newfag
>>
>>1989540
is your city that poor that your sidewalks are genuinely unusable
>>
>>1989763
Like I said, the new ones are really nice. Unfortunately they go to literally nowhere. They also go the long way around and that increases the miles of your trip. They are just there for recreation. I use a mirror when I use the road and that makes my rides on roads better. If people tried that I think they would not be so scared and they wouldn't let a lack of bike lanes stop them from riding
>>
>>1989520
i hate sharing sidewalks with cyclists. they mean you've got to pay a lot more attention as a pedestrian because now you could kill some dickhead and break your arm if you try to walk around someone else.
sidewalks for pedestrians, roads for bikes, and the scrapyard for cars.
>>
If they want people to cycle on streets with cars then they should at least maintain the appropriate quality of infrastructure. I just nearly rolled over and slid after going front wheel into a giant ass pothole near a pedestrian crossing. That can be hard to spot in overcast weather or when there's a depression on the other side of the road that masks the edges. And it hurts. This is the same place where they told me not to use the sidewalks, by the way.
>>
File: IMG_5889.jpg (2.74 MB, 4032x3024)
2.74 MB
2.74 MB JPG
When Forrester tells us to ride on the road, and how unsafe the cycle path or sidewalk is, this is his personal experience. Tell me if this matches your own experience.
>>
>>1991126
Because anyone who actually reads Forrester realises that the book isn’t actually that controversial and makes sense in the context he wrote it from. It may or may not entirely be applicable to your situation, depending on where you live, the design of the roads and the political situation.

>>1991133
>muh obscure book from muh literally who is being suppressed MODS
>>
>>1993777
I never said that, and I have yet to see a janny delete my forrester posts
>>
>>1993417
>admits to being a retarded auto lobby shill
>>
Is everyone on this board an auto lobby shill? Instead of advocating for only electric cars the size of pic rel requiring extensive paperwork for any one who wants one to prove they actually NEED it to be allowed in cities, which is objectively the safest option for literally everyone involved, you spend most of your time murderously attempting to justify bikes and Child Pulverizer 30000s being on the same roads.

Verification not required.
>>
>>1993941
I personally love Tokyo's approach. No free on-street parking, and you must half proof of owning a parking spot either at your house or within half a mile of your residence or something like that before you can buy a car.
>>
>>1993941
you sound like an auto lobby shill to me ngl
>>
>>1993766
I can't imagine that the 1972 bike paths were anything like the ones of today. And sidewalks likely had no curb cuts because they weren't required to (no ADA).
>>
>>1993941
I am a 2 wheeled shill
Motorcycles, scooters, bicycles, etc.
Cities are not my problem and are just becoming homeless encampments.
>>
>>1989534
>pull you over.
>demand all your documents
What kind of totalitarian hell hole do you live in where you are expected to produce documents for anything other than a motor vehicle?
>>
>>1989556
>Roads are meant for people.
Roads are made for the Roman Legions. Walk in them and risk getting trampled.
>>
They should just have a speed limit for cycling on the sidewalk. Like if you want to go over 6mph then you have to ride on the road or something.
>>
I always ride on the sidewalk when it’s available because cars scare me. Cops have never bothered me for it
>>
>>1994136
>6mph

Retardly low number. The average healthy adult can run faster than that.
>>
>>1994245
The average healthy adult isn't made out of metal.
>>
>>1994271
The average healthy adult will get a broken arm at absolute worst if a bike crashes into them, and spend a month in the hospital at absolute best if a car crashes into them.
>>
The sidewalks in my town are absolute shit
I don't even want to know where all the NH tax dollars are going
>>
>>1994275
You're SO close to getting it but your commitment to defending the official policy positions of the American Automobile Association is too strong for you to ever accept the truth
>>
>>1994292
>non committal non answer
>>
>>1993766
No it does not. Also, nice to see a Kobo chad here
>>
>>1989520
>cycling on sidewalks is... le misdemeanor!
Is this actually true anywhere? It's a municipal bylaw where I am, the worst thing they can do is tell you to stop it, and they never will because bylaw officers spend 100% of their time on parking enforcement.
>>
>>1989520
Usually cops tell me to get off and if they do end up stopping me (usually they don't since I'm going too fast for them to bother) I just give them a fake name and go about my life

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.