[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>Staten Island to Manhattan
>only 5.3 miles in distance
>max depth 80 ft
>average depth 50 ft
>bridge totally feasible
>tunnel totally feasible
>tunnel can be electric train only like the Channel Tunnel if creating an artificial island for mechanical ventilation for car exhaust is a problem

How come there isn't either?
>>
File: 1711441477047964.webm (2.45 MB, 1280x720)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB WEBM
>>1990584
>>bridge
>>
>>1990584
>How come there isn't either?
They already have a ferry
>>
>>1990587
No, you don't understand. You have to build a subway with express service so that the entire Staten Island can be razed and rebuilt with 60 floor luxury condos, 80% of which will sit empty and be used as instruments in financial speculation by the Chinese and the Saudis.
>>
>>1990584
Right "only" 5.3 miles. Because it would make far more sense to build a line to Bay Ridge or whatever that place in New Jersey is called. Faster, cheaper, and more immediately useful. A tunnel all the way from Battery Park to St George is peak stupid. It would be like if they made a tunnel from Tsing Yi to Sheung Wan when Kowloon is right there and there's already a shitload of connections to HK Island.
>>
File: yimbyism.png (1.18 MB, 1886x1510)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB PNG
>>1990588
But the "Market Urbanism" twitter bot said we NEED to do exactly that, otherwise it's The Housing Crisis™
>>
>>1990589
A what to what when what
>>
>>1990585
>skill issue
>>
>>1990591
>Market economies have little government intervention, allowing private ownership to determine all business decisions concerning how a business is run. This type of economy leads to greater efficiency, productivity, and innovation.
I love the market now
>>
>>1990588
It's easier doing that from Brooklyn
>>
>>1990591
So are these second homes for the rich or just a never ending rotation of houses “on the market?”
I was walking around Astoria last month and it looked emptier than I thought it should be. I also passed a realty office advertising $700,000-$1,000,000 townhouses.
How many of these places do people actually live in?? the only working class people that can afford to live in Astoria now are the Greeks who have lived there for decades; either owners or those still under rent control

Aside: it’s disgusting how these professional managerial class types can rake in dough. I know a psychiatric practitioner from the Midwest who basically does not have a real job. Her actual on duty responsibilities at work are almost intern tier. Her husband is a nurse in the city. They both like 31 years old so they have shit seniority.
And they are looking for a house in Jersey City with a budget of ONE MILLION DOLLARS
Why are they paid so much????

Meanwhile I know a real working hardass Italian American born and bred Bronx motherfucker. He makes dogshit commuting to HPN airport and if his family didn’t generationally own their house he would be on the street.
>>
>>1990584
>NYC
>Spending a fucking dime on Staten Island
>ever
Anon, please don't shitpost on /n/ save it for boards like /b/ and /v/.
>>
>>1990619
Queens residental real eastate is a total shitshow, the stereotype is brooklyn is bad but queens is on a whole other level. Brooklyn is wealthy people moving in from out of state. Basically everything on the market in western queens for the past 10 years is just a rainy day fund for wealthy people from abroad who have no intention of living there and limited interest in renting out their property. Not sure if the market has cooled (probably not much) but last I looked you couldn't go to an open house without multiple random people showing up from out of town and offering cash. Not even asking questions, just "I drove all day to get here, I don't have time, here's my offer". And every listing agent knows it and they are an absolute nightmare to deal with, acting like they are doing you a huge favor just responding to normal questions. Because for every annoying buyer with normal buyer questions, there's three other guys dying to write a check, and they don't have any annoying questions so why should they bother.

But at least there's the queensbridge houses with 10,000 people inhaling mold all day and walking past drug dealers on the way in and out of their homes.
>>
File: file.png (1.38 MB, 1328x1111)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB PNG
>>1990584
If only there were some pre-existing transportation link between Lower Manhattan and Staten Island. Perhaps it could also connect Brooklyn to both of them? One can dream.
>>
>>1990632
>Pay the toll in the Battery Tunnel
>Pay the toll each way on the Verrazano
>Die of old age in stop-and-stop traffic going by Industry City
No thanks, I'd rather take the boat.
>>
why would anyone willingly live in Diet Jersey
>>
>>1990635
Some taxpayer-funded occupations require residency in the 5 boroughs. If you hate the city, and are legally required to live in the city, Richmond County is your best option.
>>
>>1990584
It took them twice as long as planneds and 4.5 billion dollars to build two miles of the second avenue subway, what makes you think the MTA is currently capable of building a 6 mile underwater tunnel?
>>
>>1990624
Staten Island doesn't want a subway connection anyways, it's mostly wealthy SFH owners larping as the old colonial gentry.
>>
How long does the ferry trip take?
>>
>>1990733
It's about half an hour from boarding one end to disembarking at the other. The train on SI always leaves right before the boat docks so you're always waiting an extra 20mins on top of it.
>>
>>1990591
FWIW that website is totally false. Vacancy rate is around 3% for the neighborhood.
>>
>>1990743
The 3% number sounds closer to what you'd get if you took the number of apartments currently listed as "available for rent" vs the total number of existing apartments. If someone owns an apartment but never places it on the market, that may or may not be considered "vacant" depending on whether you use MLS listing data or ACS census-style data
>>
>>1990750
>If someone owns an apartment but never places it on the market,
This is happening at extremely low rates.

>b-but muh 6 million rent controlled not being listed
This has been debunked thoroughly.
https://comptroller.nyc.gov/newsroom/rent-stabilized-vacancies-plummeted-over-last-2-years-including-for-units-in-need-of-repairs-new-nyc-comptroller-report-finds/
>>
File: image00079-1-1152x1536.jpg (376 KB, 1152x1536)
376 KB
376 KB JPG
>>1990763
Non-sequitur. Rent stabilization applies to old buildings. You're not from around here but when people talk about LIC they're not talking about art deco. This is what LIC looks like.
>>
>>1990766
I was just bringing up the rent control point because that's the current tiktok/twitter leftist reason as to why housing is so expensive. The notion that most of those new buildings in LIC is empty is ludicrous and unfounded.
>>
>>1990789
Ah yes deregulating the markets and removing price controls, that well known leftist take on market failures.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.