[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]


[Advertise on 4chan]


File: IMG_7357.jpg (76 KB, 770x513)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
New Apartments Edition

Discuss transportation, zoning and walkability improvements in your city or nationwide.
>>
That looks like the apartment complex of this one finance bro who had a party I went to, I wanna say in weehawken? He had an audi. His gf was living there too. I forgot what she drove. Anyway it wasn't a very #walkable area, so of course, they had automobiles. If I recall correctly my friend and I took a cab to get there. Yes, a real cab, like in the movies. That was before uber. Nice view of the city but wew what a way to live. Regardless of all that, I think we can all agree that the best thing for humanity is to launch all YIMBYs into the sun.
>>
Ah but no, it is the "Foundry Yards" in yeehaw dixie land, here is the press release:

>The Cushman & Wakefield Sunbelt Multifamily Advisory Group is excited to present the exclusive listing of Foundry Yards, a 268-unit luxury apartment community with 20K SF of future, adjacent office and retail space located in Birmingham, Alabama, which has the nation’s second lowest unemployment rate according to the Wall Street Journal and 50K+ jobs added since April 2020. Foundry Yards is anchored by Birmingham’s expansive healthcare industry with the University of Alabama at Birmingham ranking the #1 Best Large Employer in America by Forbes with a total of 23K jobs and an employment impact of 64K within a 10-minute walk of the property. Also, the asset is primed to benefit from the city’s emergence as a technology hub, ranked as #2 up and coming tech hot spots according to MarketWatch. Centralized in the newly revitalized Parkside District, Foundry Yards is positioned adjacent to multiple breweries, acclaimed restaurants, the 19-acre Railroad Park, and Regions Field which is home to the Birmingham Barons, an AA-affiliate of the Chicago White Sox. In 2021, Foundry Yards has experienced incredible leasing velocity with 45 move-ins per month and 14% effective rent growth since May.

do I get a commission for this?
>>
>>1991671
Sounds walkable as fuck desu
>>
File: birmingham.jpg (589 KB, 2876x1494)
589 KB
589 KB JPG
>>1991681
Hmm yes. Surrounded by broken sidewalkless streets, freeway overpasses, fenced off switchyards, ginormous parking lots, and patrolled 24/7 by Bull Connor's boys, who will subpoena your icloud account if they suspect a female member of your household of committing unlawful menstrual cycle irregularities. I think I'll sell my place in the city and move right on down to bombingham!
>>
Is this the press release thread? How do I get on that gravy train?
>>
>>1991683
Sunbelt multifamily developers are always hiring for these sorts of gigs, just spam copy/pasted press releases and uncritical regurgitations of corporate talking points and probably one of them will see your hard work and offer you a job. I've been doing it for years and I just know the housing will trickle down any day now
>>
>>1991684
But you’re the only guy who spams press releases

Then you complain about press releases as a samefag who thinks no one can tell.
>>
Does this belong in /upg/?
This is Stobnica Castle, a modern building imitating a castle being built in a forest near Poznań. Controversy of having it built on the border of a Natura 2000 reserve, opinion?
>>
File: stobnica.png (2.46 MB, 1280x923)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB PNG
>>1991737
>>
>>1991738
What’s it being used for?
>>
Ban cars from the roads between the hours of 7:00am and 19:00pm weekdays and all day every sunday.
ban all delivery vehicles vans, trucks etc between 08:00 - 10:00 and 16:00 and 18:00 weekdays and all day sat and sun.

Only bikes and buses are allowed on all roads at all times on all days.

All life is instantly improved.
>>
File: IMG_7467.jpg (1.13 MB, 1170x1611)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB JPG
Texas lawmakers are trying to take zoning power away from the city of Dallas
https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2024/04/texas-lawmakers-look-to-take-zoning-changes-out-of-dallas-hands/
>>
>>1991833
Neato, hopefully they force mega-churches down everyone's throats and zone all the sinful "hospitals" and "libraries" out of existence like god intended
>>
File: crash.jpg (129 KB, 1024x720)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
Are there any great cities that are overwhelmingly car dependent?
>>
>>1991737
>Controversy of having it built on the border of a Natura 2000 reserve, opinion?
So it's not in the nature reserve? It's fine.
>>
>>1992294
Yeah. Most of them. Really activates those almonds doesn't it.
>>
File: plees.jpg (49 KB, 800x704)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>1992313
Name a city
>>
>>1992294
Not really, unless you think LA is a great city.
Car-dependence kills cities.
>>
>>1992534
>Car-dependence kills cities.
Good
>>
>>1992534
What would you call a "not car dependent city"? Fire Island? I like drinking overpriced cocktails at the Blue Whale too but I'd hardly call that a "great city"
>>
>>1992534
"Car-dependent city" is a buzzword. You can make do in Houston with public transit and ride-sharing, and there are numerous apartments (even in the non-downtown areas) where walking to restaurants and shops can be done in 20 minutes or less. In NO city would your life not be significantly improved with a car.
>>
>>1991682
>90’s escort gt
Chad spotted
>>
>>1992395
OKC has done this amazing thing where their downtown is this haven of mixed transit, bike lanes, busses, good traffic management, etc
Except it just ends right outside the city center. You go from skyscrapers and bike lanes to sharing a narrow sidewalk or the side of the road, instantly.
If you live even just outside of the city center, getting there by anything other than a car is a pain in the ass.
>>
>>1992557
Who cares
>>
>>1992569
You literally asked
>>
>>1992570
Nope
>>
>>1992550
>You can make do in Houston with public transit and ride-sharing
More ride-sharing than anything else, and ride-sharing isn't public transit. You're still dependent on cars, you're just hiring one for every trip you make.

>>1992557
Austin felt the same when I was there for the eclipse.
>>
>>1992584
You're complaining about places you don't live in
>>
File: 1691711080697c.png (2.27 MB, 1200x911)
2.27 MB
2.27 MB PNG
>>1992584
This is part of Houston with apartments (in orange) and retail/restaurants (blue). You can very easily walk to these places and back.
>>
>>1992651
This does not look like a great city. Do you think it does? If so how?
>>
>>1992584
>You're still dependent on cars, you're just hiring one for every trip you make.
Where's the problem? I thought your issue with cars was you're too poor and mentally ill to drive so you needed a nanny to do it for you.
>>
>>1992684
>This does not look like a great city. Do you think it does? If so how?
Mostly I was pointing out that Houston can be walkable even without the "best" neighborhoods. What makes a city "great" is subjective, I could tell you how Houston is actually one of the better cities out there but I'm not sure you'll agree. Either way, cities are more than the stuff on postcards and living in a "city" does not mean you'll get housing in good neighborhoods. Even if the housing crisis was resolved by building out supply tremendously, the stuff that will go for cheap will be the oldest and least desirable properties.

You can make almost any city more attractive/less attractive by just showing off different areas, like Venice, Italy here.
>>
>>1992705
>Houston can be walkable
Having several isolated walkable neighborhoods does not make the city as a whole walkable. There's a huge difference between >>1992651 and NYC. And honestly, >>1992651 doesn't even look all that attractive. Shitloads of empty surface parking, 8 and 6 lane roads you have to cross to go from housing to shops, the shops are all big box shit, the sidewalks aren't wide or well maintained, the speed limit is 35 but in reality most traffic is doing 45+. It's shit.
>>
>>1992761
It sounds like you just don't like it and want everyone else to change it to suit your own taste
>>
File: traffic.jpg (400 KB, 1333x952)
400 KB
400 KB JPG
>>1992762
If all you'd ever eaten was shit, you'd never imagine you could have anything better. You are correct, the built environment does not bring me joy. I think the only people who "enjoy" it are the suburbanites commuting through it, and only when there isn't traffic. Oh wait...
>>
>>1992763
>Worrying about how other people live
Why is every urba/n/ist a Cluster B personality?
>>
>>1992765
The whole point of urbanism is to revoke or override the system of laws that interfere with unfettered "development" (which is a catch-all for the destruction of private property rights, the erosion of democratic norms, and the construction of behavioral controls that enrich oligarchs at the expense of normal people). Needless to say if you ever hear what they think of you, it's contempt. Seething, frothing contempt. The frustration is amplified by the fact that they know people have caught on to the whole YIMBY scam and they're outraged that they're losing control of the narrative.
>>
>>1992782
Strange, you profess to hate cities and everything they stand for so why do you care so much if more people can live in them and don't need a car to do so? I don't care that you fuck goats in your barn, why so much seethe over cities-dwellers?
>>
>>1992783
I think you have me mixed up with someone else. I live in the city. I like things here, and I would like for "people" (sic) like you to fuck off and ruin something else.

What's the mileage btw? You never did answer >>1989466
>>
>>1992763
I see no issues here. Are you complaining that the rules aren't going out of the way to make the life of suburbanites/car owners/white people miserable for the sake of your seething hatred?
>>
>>1992763
>You are correct, the built environment does not bring me joy.
If you're not making a ton of money living in the city, your options are going to be sparse. Even in a housing surplus, the hip "urban" options are going to be out of reach. When you look at pictures of places like Amsterdam, you're looking at Amsterdam-Centrum, which has some of the highest incomes in the country.

>are the suburbanites commuting through it
It's mostly a local avenue. Suburbanites don't commute through it.
>>
>>1992784
And you have me mixed up with another anon, though we have talked before, you never asked me about my car mileage. It'd be nice if it was 0, but not possible in my situation. I'm happy for you though that you get to live in one of the two truly walkable cities in the US though.

>>1992788
I have no idea what you're bitching about. Cities reducing car use doesn't affect you. You hate the city and never go into it anyways.

>>1992790
The point that you're intentionally missing is that in most European and Asian cities, you don't have to live smack in the city center to be in a walkable environment. IDGAF about central Amsterdam when I could live car-free just as easily in Diemen or Nieuw-West. I'd also argue that most European cities haven't built enough housing either, though places like Italy, Finland, Spain, and France seem to do better than most according to OECD data. Japan is on a level all its own, having had a flatlined Housing CPI for 30 straight years.

>It's mostly a local avenue. Suburbanites don't commute through it.
If it was for local traffic only Westheimer wouldn't need 8 fucking lanes. It's overflow for when I-69 is a shitfest, just like Alabama and Richmond. This is literally why the road gets congested westbound in the afternoon and congested eastbound in the morning.
>>
>>1992803
I don't care about how they do things in Amsterdam
>>
>>1992803
>The point that you're intentionally missing is that in most European and Asian cities, you don't have to live smack in the city center to be in a walkable environment
The reason I pointed out this era is it's miles outside of downtown and you can still find the amenities you want and need within walking distance.
>If it was for local traffic only Westheimer wouldn't need 8 fucking lanes
Lots of people live on Westheimer, and the eight-laned portion goes out to only Highway 6, with dense apartment complexes stretching down all that way (and those produce more traffic than single family homes). Of course you can find excuses as to why you don't want to live there (allergy to parking lots, agoraphobia, etc.) but I'm laying out the facts.
>>
>>1992803
I have no idea what you're bitching about. Cities increasing car use doesn't affect you. You just sit at home and suck cocks of jewish billionaires on the internet for brownie points.
>>
>>1992803
>I have no idea what you're bitching about.
That's because you're the one bitching about everything here, yet you're incapable of reasoning about it for the reasons i stated.
>>
>>1992803
>you have me mixed up with another anon
Hard to not mix you guys up when every day it's the same repetitive "but amsterdam, aaamsterdaaaaam, democracy bad, corporations good" drivel
>>
>>1992898
Cagetroll-chan was the first one ITT to mention Amsterdam >>1992790
Take your meds
>>
>>1992910
>"cagetroll" = "person who disagrees with me"
like pottery
>>
>>1992910
I'm also cagetroll though. As the other anon mentioned, everyone who disagrees with you is a cagetroll
>>
>>1992912
If the boot fits homeslice
>>
>The Urban Form Standard
>(1) Blocks should have length between 200 and 600 feet (60 and 180 meters), and should have perimeter no greater than 1800 feet (540 meters) (e. g., 450*450 ft (135*135 meters)). "Perhaps 80% of good urban form is embedded in this one rule; no other metric is as powerful as this one."
>(2) Blocks should be rectangles with aspect ratio of at most 1.5:1.
>(3) Most street rights-of-way should be 40 to 80 feet (12 to 24 meters). "A 60-foot (18-meter) right-of-way is incredibly versatile."
>(4) Alleys should be 10 to 20 feet (3 to 6 meters) and should be present in most blocks. "Alleys are the unsung heroes of good urbanism. They increase connectivity, access, efficiency, sanitation, light, and air."
https://urbanformstandard.com/
Thoughts?
>>
>>1992936
I'd kick the teeth of a faggot who spouted this in public and kick him in the ribs a few times for a good measure.
>>
>>1992936
why even make blocks and not take into account the natural landscape? No one is gonna want to walk in grid town.
Though I guess you can put a park in a block, but making blocks... blocks off the other blocks doesn't it??
>>
I wanted Brazil to invest in its railway network, only São Paulo did that, I wanted other states to be inspired
>>
Did a 70km bike ride today. Upon arriving was exhausted so rode back the most direct way- along the highway. Forgot how unpleasant highways are, no wonder they build walls along them. Good thing my city has trains.
>>
>>1992963
Because urbanism isn't about some best system or arrangement of living spaces that's beneficial for the people who live somewhere. It's entirely about authoritarianism, control without checks and balances, and dismissing the rights of locals on the grounds that they don't know what's in their own interests. Wrapped in buzzwords that appeal to permanently online zoomers of course.

The same person calling for this block and grid system is on urbanism twitter, right now, posting memes of some chaotically organized medieval hilltop village with a caption "this is what they took from us we must RETVRN to tradition" and they're using it as an argument for demolishing a neighborhood (grid-like of course) that some rapacious developer has his eyes on but the "stupid nimbys" keep pushing back via local laws that specify how changes need to be reviewed and approved, that urbanists consider a form of totalitarianism similar to what's in place in the Islamic Republic of Iran (I wish I was making this up). Yeah those stupid nimbys don't realize that the best street arrangement is (insert thing developer doesn't like).
>>
>>1992963
Supposedly, taking "existing natural features" into account will be part of rule 7, which is still in development.
>>
>>1992557
Sounds like they could use some midrise infill just outside the city center to ease the transition but NIMBYs might kill any proposal like that.
>>
>>1992762
Nice goalpost-moving.
>>
>>1991682
If it’s right next to a park, restaurants, cafes, breweries, bars, gyms, and the largest employer in the state, it’s pretty walkable. Good for Birmingham for making improvements.
>>
>>1992910
I too have noticed that only the cagetrolls mention Amsterdam. And then they complain that non-cagetrolls constantly mention Amsterdam. Lol.
>>
I love pwning cagetrolls by having an argument with myself in the shower and then typing it out in this thread like it's a real conversation between two people
>>
File: IMG_7291.jpg (416 KB, 1080x1763)
416 KB
416 KB JPG
>>
>>1993118
>Houston
>Kansas City
Can urbanists find another city to cry about? It's always those two
>>
>>1993120
It's just that they're highly favorable locations for multifamily developers such as Starwood Capital (PERE Firm of the Year (2021, 2018, 2017, 2015), Greystar Real Estate Partners (Residential Investor of the Year, North America, 2023), and MAAC (ranked #147 on the 2017 Fortune Global Growth 2000 list). High rental demand and friendly regulatory environments among other things, it's just hard not to show excitement about these dynamic, high potential markets.
>>
>>1993120
Houston is like 6th largest city in the US and also facing bankruptcy over it's road debt, so seems like urbanists are vindicated here.

>https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc13.com/amp/houston-budget-mayor-john-whitmire-claims-city-broke-council-approved-bonds/14579157/
>There's a lot that needs to be funded. There are a lot of roads that need to be redone, there's a lot of city infrastructure that needs to be redone, and we don't have the money to do it. The only thing we can do at this point is borrow.
>>
>>1993128
Didn't answer my question
>>
File: 1705087483832288.gif (1.93 MB, 350x350)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB GIF
>>1993118
Why do urbanists always assume every parking space is usable and not just a tow-away lot only used for one business, if at all?

(This is a rhetorical question.)
>>
File: 1522113007398.gif (2.56 MB, 480x480)
2.56 MB
2.56 MB GIF
>>1993128
>also facing bankruptcy over it's road debt
It's not facing "bankruptcy over road debt", nor does the article say as much. Remember when Charles Marohn talked about "debt for road maintenance" in the case of Ferguson that wasn't even actually for roads at all.
>>
>>1993153
>City officials and advisors state verbatim that Houston does not have enough money to cover repairs to its roads and the infrastructure underneath
>Anon that can't stop seething about Strongtowns: noooooo, muh Ferguson!!!11!1!!11
I love how he's utterly broken your brain. The seethe is delicious.
>>
>>1993166
>The seethe is delicious
He either lied or didn't understand; therefore, all "roads cause bankruptcy" is complete bullshit. How is "seethe" to point out a falsehood?
>>
>>1993166
I'm never going to watch your vlog
>>
>>1993120
Not really, you’re just butthurt and spewing bullshit. You’re probably the same guy who claims urbanists only talk about Amsterdam. Lol.
>>
>>1993238
You'd think Houston and KC were the two most important cities in the US the way you foreigners obsess over them
>>
>>1993259
Because they don't have a genuine interest in transportation or cities, they're just regurgitating bot farm garbage from twitter targeting specific irrelevant areas that happen to be in the crosshairs of specific investors. Same goes for the incessant threads about building hyperloops between Little Rock and Tusacloosa
>>
File: IMG_7522.jpg (1.64 MB, 1170x1489)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB JPG
He has a point. Long Island land use is fucking stupid.
>>
>>1993259
Houston is the oil capital of the world, so it IS one of the most important cities. Of course, it's way too spread out for mass transit to work outside the beltway, so the parking lots will stay.
>>
>>1993259
Ragie cagie was the one who brought up Houston to begin with lol
>>1992550
>>1992651
>>
>>1993304
Is the ragie cagie in the room right now?
>>
>>1993304
What?
>>
>>1993296
How are American cities going to survive when oil prices go up to were they currently are in Europe?
>>
>>1993344
By annexing Canada and mining their oil, obviously.
>>
>>1993345
lol
I'm literally from the oil rich part of Canada. What about after Canadian oil becomes expensive as well?
>>
>>1993346
By then Russia's colapsed and we can go to mining their oil. There's arctic too.

"Oil running out" is a leftist pipe dream.
>>
>>1993345
Won't help, the US is already a net oil exporter and the largest oil producer in the world. We have more oil than we know what to do with. The problem is everybody needs oil, so disruptions to the supply chain from one producer will affect the price globally. Supply goes down, price goes up. It's a global market.
>>
>>1993354
Just go back to mercantilism and cut off some latam shitholes from the exported oil so they can deal with it globally while all the important people have oil.
>>
>>1993348
>"Oil running out" is a leftist pipe dream
That's why i said "oil becoming expensive"
Some time in the future oil will be too expensive for ordinary folks. How are they going to survive given that American cites are designed almost exclusively for cars?
>>
>>1993360
"Some time in the future" is literally centuries and centuries ahead. If by that time we don't have portable fusion reactors we'll still have tech that will alleviate the problem. That's why i said it's a bullshit leftist pipe dream, no matter how much you weasel about it.

You can easily cut down oil use by substituting nuclear power in the easily replaceable parts of the economy like heating and power generation.
>>
>>1993362
Us slowly running out of cheap oil is just reality. Whats a pipe dream is acting like its guaranteed we will have portable fusion reactors figured out. You cant just say "we can do whatever we want today, because future tech will fix it"
>>
>>1993385
2 more years and reality of running out oil will kick in and we'll get to finally implement communism.
>>
>>1993385
>You cant just say "we can do whatever we want today, because future tech will fix it"
Yes i can. It's barely been a century since humans first took a powered flight, 2.5 centuries since the invention of a useful steam engine. Going several times that much into the future the opportunities are endless and unpredictable.
>>
>>1993392
>future the opportunities are endless and unpredictable.
I think we are agreeing. Portable fusion may or may not be possible.

I don't think we should assume it will be though.
>>
>>1993394
Yeah, portable fusion reactors were just a funny example of sci-fi technology. Saying that there will be new opportunities afforded by new tech isn't very far fetched, though. We've already got a lot of things that can supplement natural oil that just aren't economically feasible due to the absolute abundance of it. There's synthetic oil, there's bio diesel, there's ethanol, hydrogen engines and fuel cells and so on. So it's not even an insurmountable barrier even today, let alone so far into the future that we can only create silly fiction about it.
>>
>>1993397
>synthetic oil, there's bio diesel, there's ethanol, hydrogen engines and fuel cells and so on.
Honestly I know very little about these. Is it feasible that we could produce these cheaply en masse? As a a few dollars a litre?
>>
>>1993401
You can make bio diesel at home, just like you can run an old diesel engine on used vegetable oil that fries were cooked in. You can also make eithanol with a lidded bucket. Synthetic fuel uses any organic or carbon matter with C02 but it does take up an amount of energy to produce it.

So far, none of those are competitive with
gas/diesel fracking but the biggest bottleneck is probably the energy generation, which is why i mentioned nuclear since it inherently creates surplus energy during nighttime as it can't be easily powered down. If nuclear power becomes more widespread, this not only reduces the burden on other fuel sources by itself but also creates a consistent surplus of energy at a certain time of the day that can be used for other applications, including fuel production.

Ethanol is commonly used as fuel in the world in various amounts and is often added to gas, including in the US, although it's more of a welfare scheme than an actually useful process because growing corn for ethanol using current methods takes up about as much energy(primarily in fuel) as it produces, so the amount of useful work is small. I don't know how this economics work out in poorer countries but a few in Latin America, Africa and Asia use upwards of 60% ethanol content fuel commonly.

Synthetic fuel takes up power to make to heat up and build pressure to create it but the amount varies depending on the matter used. Coal and natural gas are the most efficient so they're the most commonly produced ones but plant matter is also used, although the water vapor limits the efficiency of the process.

As for hydrogen i don't know.
>>
>>1993401
"Cheap clean future energy" like ethanol and biodiesel are just repackaged fossil fuels: oil = nitrogen fertilizers = cheap crops = ethanol. That's why these petro shills are rubbing their hands together with glee, thinking they fooled everyone. It's greenwashed gasoline.
>>
>>1993405
I'm all for just using normal, abundant and extremely effective and economical fuel that we've already got everything set up for but if that bothers some people there's nothing wrong with feeding some drooling idiots an idiotic tale to get them to shut up and let normal people do the work.
>>
>>1993406
And this is why nobody should ever trust anything pushed by a petro shill. Just assume every word out of their mouths is a lie, because it is
>>
>>1993407
I'll sooner trust a petro shill than a green fanatic. At least petro shill stands behind something useful for society while the latter is just a malicious retard that was enabled by it.

Greenwashing shit to sell is the standard practice among the green movement anyway, it's only natural that it would also be used against it.
>>
File: images.jpg (5 KB, 274x184)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>1993408
Yes it is understood that you never question your own behavior. You don't need to announce it. Anything you do is, by definition, the right thing to do, no matter what those dumb libtards say. That's just how it is.
>>
>>1993409
>wah wah waaaaah reeee
No u, go back to seething about functional societies in your tranny discord you obnoxious crybaby.
>>
>>1993410
And here we are back to "no u", I wonder where I've seen this before...
>>
>>1993411
We've seen it in your previous post, and the one before that, and so on. No wonder you felt familiar.
>>
Ok now I'm confused. Are cars good or bad for cities???????
>>
>>1993166
Not only did Chuck break them in half, but you broke them even further.
>>
>>1993283
I wish someone would do a statistic of how much miles of parking and parking garages takes up Long Island. It has to be much more than a few towns combined.
>>
>>1992803
>The point that you're intentionally missing is that in most European and Asian cities, you don't have to live smack in the city center to be in a walkable environment. IDGAF about central Amsterdam when I could live car-free just as easily in Diemen or Nieuw-West.

I would technically say that this is true in the Midwest and in the East. Granted it's not entirely perfect, but the missing element is just having TOD and housing nearby transit. In America the main issue is marrying Real Estate with Transportation rather than putting Transportation in random spots and hoping it works. There is enough room in New York, Pennyslvania, Philidelphia, Chicago and even sprawl areas like Houston, Dallas, even Phoenix. Then moving it outward.

To be fair though, I do notice in recent years though Real Estate and Developers are catching up to the idea of Walkability being important as well. Cities & Towns are realizing this around the same time almost a few years back. Unfortunately it's going to be awhile due to the interest rates and Boomers being angry about Millennials and Zoomers being able to afford a place to potentially own someday.
>>
>>1992936
>>1992963
https://youtu.be/Lgio_ygetbo
How about Hexagons?
>>
>>1993166
Lol. I think the cagetroll brains were broken long before they found StrongTowns.
>>
>>1994301
Heh, it's hilarious how a vlogger can destroy the cagetrolls, Chang.
>>
>>1992557
As it should be. Downtown OKC is more of a theme park for everyone in the suburbs and country side. You need to go back to where you came from.
>>
File: IMG_7582.jpg (105 KB, 640x611)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>
>>1994402
>pic of Starbucks during the pandemic
>pic of Paris from at least a decade ago
Why do urbanists have to be so disingenuous?
>>
File: everyurbanistthread.png (535 KB, 1330x1488)
535 KB
535 KB PNG
>>
>>1994406
Top is indistinguishable from the Starbucks I went to an hour ago. 20 people sitting in their cars completely blocking the parking lot while me and 2 other people just walked in and got faster service. Drive thrus are a blight.
>>
>>1994420
You guys are always going on and on about giving people "choices" - until it's something you personally do not like, then that choice has got to go and other people should do things the way you want them to.
>>
File: IMG_6974.jpg (294 KB, 1170x1463)
294 KB
294 KB JPG
No parking lots required.
>>
>>1994420
Lol same. There’s a Starbucks near my parents’ house and there’s always a massive line of cars around it while you can just walk inside and get coffee easily.
>>
>>1994441
Why do you care about what other people do this much?
>>
>>1993882
Long Island NIMBYs are some of the worst in America. Which is retarded, because they’re serviced by one of the best commuter rails in America. Upzone all that shit.
>>
File: St-George-2018.jpg (493 KB, 1125x607)
493 KB
493 KB JPG
What do you think of Baton Rouge, Louisiana basically splitting into two cities (or rather, its suburbs incorporating as one)?
>>
File: IMG_7593.jpg (948 KB, 1170x1324)
948 KB
948 KB JPG
Delicious NIMBY tears lmao
>>
>>1994491
I read about that. I assume the suburb will go bankrupt so it’ll just be a good lesson for them to learn.
>>
File: GMWtTKCa4AAxE-8.jpg (189 KB, 901x1200)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
Alberta bros how we feeling?
>>
>>1994504
That is the tax base seceding from the uh... "strength".
>>
File: 1687939635659747.png (1.42 MB, 1980x2048)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB PNG
What is the most walkable city in Australia?
>>
>>1994664
I live in the Brisbane city area and I rate it. It’s compact so you can get to pretty much anything walking, plus cycling network is decent. Nature is a short bike ride too. Public transport is decent, but far from perfect coverage but it’s improving.

I’ve walked around Sydney and Melbourne but I find them too bloody big.
>>
>>1994672
Thanks, I'll make sure to visit there. I heard Sydney had a lot of suburban sprawl. What is Perth like?
>>
>>1994680
I’ve never been and I can’t see myself going, so I couldn’t tell you either way.
>>
File: IMG_7394.jpg (824 KB, 2419x1814)
824 KB
824 KB JPG
Vienna = based
>>
File: IMG_7634.jpg (412 KB, 1170x1268)
412 KB
412 KB JPG
Excellent points. Preservationists and environmentalists should adamantly support inner-city upzoning.
>>
>>1995544
>inner-city upzoning
Hello nancy reagan, you going to lecture me on the afterschool dope pushers next?

I'm a preservationist, I don't want suburbanites bringing in their depraved way of life into the city. That is why NIMBYism is the moral obligation of anyone who loves their city.
>>
Birmingham, Alabama just passed a major parking reform bill this morning. No more parking minimums, institute parking maximums. I know it’s stil a car-dependent place but I like seeing significant victories in mid-size cities.
>>
>>1995597
Excellent news. Keep us updated. And Chang-don't forget to post more of those good articles that you've found!
>>
Finally moved from suburbia back to the central city and I forgot how comfy this is.
>>
Civil and structural engineer here, calculating city infrastructure projects. I probably can tell you more about how things work here than any zoomer who's dreaming about walkable cities. Ask me anything while I'm here, except US specifics cause I'm in EU.
>>
>>1995585
You want your property value line to go up without having to pay extra for it.
>>
>>1995734
I think you are underestimating the hate people have for YIMBYism. I voted for the candidate who said, quote, "I would rather have lots sit empty than have them filled with further gentrification." In no universe is that a recipe for a property value line that goes up.
>>
>>1995759
It is though, because no new housing is going to make existing housing more expensive.
>>
>>1995760
That's not how it works. When real estate is both a house and an alternative to bonds and stocks, "potential home buyers" only represents a small part of the model.
>>
>>1995759
> I voted for the candidate who said, quote, "I would rather have lots sit empty than have them filled with further gentrification."

Then you are verifiably retarded and you made housing more expensive for poor people.
>>
>>1995773
I hope the Related Companies sees this bro
>>
>>1995763
Nobody is buying homes specifically to keep them empty and somehow drive up the overall property cost. Those investors you're talking about are renting those properties out, mostly to long term tenants that otherwise could not afford to actually buy the house. That's a good thing, because it means people get a place to live. The only housing supply constraint is the refusal to build new housing.
>>
>>1995597
Big win for Birmingham.
https://www.southernenvironment.org/press-release/city-council-oks-plan-for-a-more-walkable-birmingham/
>>
>>1995807
I should add: when I see news like this I think the era of auto-centricity is truly over. Even the most backwards places in the country are focusing on pedestrianism.
>>
>>1991656
Who is putting up these eyesores all over the u.s.? Why didn't that South Park ep out these faggots?
>>
>>1992557
>OKC
>"any of them"
And by "great" you mean size only.....but that's great. Infrastructure parasites should just pull there own weight, and every city will become that. Hopefully further with ZERO private vehicles.
>>
File: IMG_7655.jpg (159 KB, 800x800)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
Sterling Heights, MI, joins a list of other Detroit suburbs that will convert dying malls into town centers. Lakeside Mall will be redeveloped into 2,800 new housing units and a town center. Converting dead malls is an easy way to create town centers in the suburbs.
>>
>>1995827
Why would someone buy a house in a fucking Detroit? Are americans braindead?
>>
>>1995831
First of all that isn't Detroit, but to your question, Detroit was one of the most important cities in the US, perhaps the world, 80 years ago. And despite the decline, it still has some vestiges of its former importance, and still punches above its weight culturally. But because of its well known problems, property was very affordable for a while (not sure if that's still the case). So if you wanted a house and were willing/able to put up with the crime, questionable municipal services, etc, it was seen as a viable option for certain people.

The problem with zoomers is they can't accept tradeoffs. They want the property that everyone else wants, the one whose main tradeoff is that someone else was there first - someone who likes where they are, and has no interest in moving. And instead of accepting that and finding something else, they expect the government to swoop in and make changes to the legal codes to bully those people into leaving. They call that the 'Free Market' and they get very butthurt if you call them out on their bullshit.
>>
>>1995834
Nah buying a house in a dying criminal city you must be braindead, there's no tradeoffs here.

By the way, what other tradeoffs you are talking about?
>>
>>1995835
You sound pretty confident, so you must not have looked at any actual data. Look first, then we can talk.
>>
>>1995831
That’s not Detroit. But hey if they build a nice area and someone wants to live there let them do it. You should try being less autistic and let people do what they please.
>>
>>1995837
By actual data you mean city crime statistics that's not being reported/posted because of N different reasons?

>>1995839
Where did you see me not letting people do what they want? They are free to buy whatever they want and I'm free to call them braindead if what they do is beyond stupid.
>>
>>1995840
I accept your concession
>>
>>1995841
I didn't do any concessions. Apparently logical discussion is too hard for some americans if it's about them.
>>
>>1995844
Yeah. Nothing could be more logical than putting your hands over your ears and screaming "nigger nigger nigger" because you're scared the numbers will make you look dumb. When in doubt just scream louder and stamp harder.
>>
>>1992550
>paying for parking monthly on top of 10K a year on average to go over 1/4 mile for the 10% of your trips
>making everyone pay for it
>4 parking spaces per vehicle
>doubling the footprint of the city for living room on wheels occupied 1% of the time
Not that you aren't right.....which cities as broken by the car, as they are....
>>
>>1992651
Why shouldnt every city be super blocks with shopping/businesses every 1/4 in all direction.
>>
>>1995759
What the fuck?
>>
If YIMBYs actually cared about the "housing shortage" they would advocate for developing the ex-industrial and semi-abandoned criminal shithole areas almost every city is full of. I'm talking about areas where you can see that houses were once standing but now it is a house here and there and an empty lot in between. But these people are only care about purposefully making life worse for people they deem as "enemies" (white people living in safe suburbs)
>>
>>1994428
>>1994446
the "choices" made to have a starbucks with a giant drivethrough fuck up urban planning, just because anons were able to be close enough to go there on foot doesn't mean the issues that lead to 20 cars being lined up aren't prevalent.
>>
>>1996445
everyone believes unused land should be put to use, especially as housing in a housing crisis. but you can continue to make up strawmen if you want.
>>
>>1996490
You can go into a thread on Reddit and see the two-faced behavior on display.
>nooooo there doesn't need to be a million parking spaces that's just forced by cities, developers' choice
>all that parking should be taxed
>>
>>1996496
that isn't two faced behaviour. parking minimums should be removed and also valuable downtown spots should be taxed.
>>
>>1996445
Why not improve both, you retarded nigger?
>>
>>1996501
>valuable downtown spots
It wasn't downtown. In fact, the particular photo wasn't in America (it was a Czech shopping center). Also, downtowns are typically exempt from parking minimums anyway.
>>
>>1996492
>>1996507
You never see YIMBYs advocating for development of rust-belt or criminal shithole areas, they always want to upzone some (usually already densely populated) pleasant area to spite the normal people living there
>>
Long Island City is fucking awesome. Haters gonna hate.

Super clean, convenient, safe, people of all races getting along together, nice parks, good restaurants. It’s a shining example of what happens when you let people build new apartments.
>>
File: LIC.jpg (716 KB, 1818x1490)
716 KB
716 KB JPG
>>1997023
>people of all races
You mean han chinese new money from shenzhen and some white anglos from brookville getting together to negotiate their latest money laundering schemes while the help scurries around in the shadows, LIC is a great example of exactly what NOT to do
>>
>>1997034
t. never been to LIC
>>
>>1997076
I had a job there before your parents met, I can assure you my knowledge of the area runs far deeper than your yimby twitter hot take can ever scratch
>>
File: IMG_7780.jpg (2.35 MB, 4032x3024)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB JPG
>>1997077
That’s a cool fake story buddy but LIC is a great place to live and walk around in.

Clean, safe, convenient, great views, nice parks, good restaurants, and people from all races getting along together. Go scribble your schizo ramblings on a bathroom stall.
>>
>>1997184
See >>1997034, in the real world (not your yimby fantasy) there are more races than han chinese and anglos from brookville
>>
>>1997186
And I see them everyday in Long Island city, unlike you, who has clearly never been to Long Island City.
>>
>>1997188
your english is pretty good, so I assume you're from brookville then?
>>
>>1996445
This is the biggest strawman post I’ve ever seen.
>>
>>1997195
It's true though, you just can't counter him
>>
File: IMG_7863.jpg (173 KB, 1536x669)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>New renderings have been revealed for Williamsburg Wharf, a 3.75-acre mixed-use development at 464-484 Kent Avenue on the South Williamsburg waterfront

> the multi-phase master plan will yield approximately 1 million square feet of residential, commercial, and retail space, along with a public esplanade stretching nearly 525 feet along the East River. Williamsburg Wharf will feature five 22-story residential towers housing nearly 850 condominium and rental units

Doesn’t 850 residential units seem awfully low for 5 22-story towers? Is it 850 per tower?
>>
>NBCC to develop a commercial-cum-residential project worth ₹2000 crore in Kerala
>"This project exemplifies our commitment to sustainable urban development and creating spaces that harmonize with the evolving needs of the community," said K.P. Mahadevaswamy, CMD, NBCC.

One does wonder how we shall be handling the parking minimums. Hopefully NBCC will do the needful!
>>
So the Kansas CIty Royals baseball team wants a new stadium, and they tried to propose a new one downtown, to be paid for in part by a new stadium tax. The stadium tax was voted down in a county referendum. I, for one, really liked the proposal and am pissed that it isn't going to happen anymore.
>>
>>1997252
Part of the proposal was to also build a park over the nearby highway trench.
>>
>>1997252
Glad to see the stadium moving downtown, but stadiums aren’t a great return for the public via taxes.
I’d get behind it if it was like that Atlanta stadium that also had apartments and shops mixed in.
>>
>>1997255
Part of the reason the plan was defeated was because the Royals had no intentions for the surrounding lots or blocks. For me, that sounds like a good thing. Let a ballpark village organically spring up around the stadium. I assume you don't know, but that area of KC, just south of downtown, is undergoing rapid redevelopment right now, with tons of investment. There's a streetcar line, and a ferris wheel just got put in last year. There's also new apartment buildings going up every year.
>>
>>1997255
Good to know Kansas City has your support for apartments around a superblock that is open ~80 days a year, Chang!
>>
>>1991793
nato-enhanced biolab for the production of adrenochorome
>>
>>1997255
>Glad to see the stadium moving downtown, but stadiums aren’t a great return for the public via taxes.
The idea of a stadium is that takes up space that wasn't gaining a lot of tax dollars in the first place and generates demand for the land around it. The idea of "just build apartment blocks in empty parking lots bro" is a flawed idea that doesn't work if you actually think about it.
>>
>>1997259
It's good to see KC doing downtown redevelopment. We have a bit of that going on over in Olathe too. Our downtown is like 1 block, but it's slowly transforming from a sea of bail bonds businesses and government offices into a proper downtown. They've added bike lanes, slowed traffic, built apartments, a new library, and are slowly selling off office buildings for restaurants.
>>
As usual, urbanists cannot talk about a city other than KC or Houston
>>
>>1997463
I think it's a bot
>>
>>1997259
I hear ya but I still don’t know if a stadium is quite worth the public investment. Again, it would be worth it if they stuck some apartments in it like The Battery in Atlanta.
>>
>>1997252
>The stadium tax was voted down in a county referendum
Good. If the team is making enough money that turning the stadium area itself into a mixed-use development is a desirable option, they should be able to do it without city gibs. I'm personally tired of cities bending over backwards giving sportsball teams and corporations handouts for building stadiums and data centers.

>I’d get behind it if it was like that Atlanta stadium that also had apartments and shops mixed in.
The Atlanta one was not a success. The Battery isn't walkable or bikeable from any of the nearby neighborhoods, and it isn't connected to transit, so the end result is that it's still more parking garage than anything else. All the residents need cars to go anywhere, all the visitors for games need to park, and now since there is 0 transit connection to the heavy rail game nights utterly fuck traffic on the top end of 285. Outside of game nights and occasional conventions across 285 at the Cobb Galleria the place is a ghost town because there is 0 reason to go there.
>>
File: IMG_7885.jpg (246 KB, 1024x1024)
246 KB
246 KB JPG
I enjoy AI urbanism even with its flaws
>>
>>1997579
The Battery is fine. It’s not super walkable because of the location, not because of the building concept.
Take a Batery concept and put it right in the middle of downtown KC and it would obviously be walkable. You just sound like you’re strawgrasping.
>>
File: IMG_7887.jpg (339 KB, 1484x887)
339 KB
339 KB JPG
This building has finally topped out on Houston St. I’m just surprised it’s only 12 stories, there’s no reason Houston St couldn’t have skyscrapers or 20-story buildings. It’s dead in the middle of lower Manhattan.

https://newyorkyimby.com/2024/05/280-e-houston-street-tops-out-in-manhattans-east-village.html
>>
>>1997677
>The Battery is fine
Incorrect

> It’s not super walkable because of the location
Correct

>Take a Batery concept and put it right in the middle of downtown KC and it would obviously be walkable
Congratulations, you actually do understand why the Battery as-imlemented is shit. However, you still haven't made a case for taxing people for a private mega-development.
>>
File: IMG_7900.jpg (1.11 MB, 1920x1080)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB JPG
New rendering for Hunter’s Point just dropped. I’m amazed how it’s basically becoming a city within the city, when there was very little there. It’s a great neighborhood too.

Also, residential filings are waaay up in New York overall.
https://newyorkyimby.com/2024/02/new-york-yimbys-2023-fourth-quarter-construction-report-sets-record-for-new-building-filings.html
>>
>>1998213
It's awesome that developers are going back to the "city in a city" concept of the 60s/70s that was the result of skyrocketing crime then. Also, thanks for another great article, Chang!
>>
>>1998217
I like how e dry /n/ post sends you into an autistic rage. Also lol’d at your claim about the concept. The style of the 70s was the opposite.
>>
How do urbanists cope with the fact, that people who were actually experienced living in houses with hundreds apartments (commie blocks) in Eastern Europe, all collectively hate this type of housing and would trade it any day for a suburban lifestyle?
>>
>>1998217
I’m glad that /n/ makes you so mad. I wonder how many years of your life you’ve wasted calling people Chang on the internet.
>>
>>1998221
how do you cope with the fact that a lot of people actually look back fondly at the quality of the construction of those buildings compared to modern profit driven apartments in russia that fall apart.
>>
YIMBY policies have totally won in Austin.

Single family zoning eliminated - townhomes are allowed by right, up to 3 units per lot with no special permitting required
Minimum lot size reduced from 5750 ft2 to 1800 ft2 - subdividing lots now allowed (this does not allow for 3 units on an 1800 ft lot, it scales with size).
Compatability requirements reduced - 500 ft+ distance used to be required between SFH and tall buildings, now only 75 ft
Setbacks reduced to 10 ft with 5 ft allowed to be porch

https://www.texastribune.org/2024/05/16/austin-lot-size-housing-affordability/
>>
>>1998805
Incredibly good news. The future is looking bright for developers and investment firms, Chang!
>>
>>1998213
These actually look better than most of the steel and glass shit you see around Long Island City. I wish there was a pedestrian bridge or something to Greenpoint.
>>
Does anyone else live in new apartments like those in OP? My building has free electric chargers in the parking deck (and the best spaces are reserved for electrics/hybrids). So I bought an Audi PHEV which gets 20 miles on the battery alone. I literally never pay for fuel now. I haven’t been to a gas station since I bought the car dude.
>>
>>1999057
20 miles?
>>
File: location.jpg (442 KB, 1522x1136)
442 KB
442 KB JPG
>December 23, 2023 Lahore - BSM DEVELOPERS PVT LTD is proud to announce New Metro City Lahore will boast an array of amenities and facilities catering to the needs of both residents and businesses alike. From state-of-the-art recreational facilities and green spaces to top-tier educational institutions and healthcare centers, every aspect of daily life will be catered to within this dynamic community. Residents can expect to indulge in the finest leisure options, including parks, sports complexes, and community centers, fostering a vibrant and active lifestyle. Meanwhile, businesses will thrive in the strategic location, with easy access to commercial centers, transportation hubs, and an extensive network of support services.
Cagetrolls seething!
>>
>>1999061
Yep, if you went this far out of your way to find an article and then try to troll here you are obviously seething.
>>
>>1999058
Yeah, I work remote so I barely drive anywhere over 20 miles away.
>>
NIMBYs united in opposition to a…playground

https://northeasttimes.com/2024/05/23/winchester-park-opposes-park-playground/

> “Shut it down. We don’t want it,” resident Jim McCaffrey said at a recent meeting, as neighbors applauded.

>McCaffrey said Mayor Cherelle Parker wouldn’t want a park playground in her neighborhood, adding that she could kill the Pennypack playground plan “by midnight tonight.”
>>
File: IMG_8008.jpg (152 KB, 1093x1465)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>
>>1999254
Good for them. If I heard yimbys wanted to put a park in my neighborhood I'd be pretty hostile too. What are they planning? Nothing good, obviously
>>
>>1995827
Although I love the concept, I hate how they did their concept art for this thing. Yes, the bottom picture is ideal, but if the building is still in serviceable condition (and in a lot of malls, this is a big if) then starting by converting one or two lots into apartments, and seeing what businesses return to the mall is a quicker, less financially risky, and ultimately less intrusive way to accomplish all the same goals. Rinse, repeat, and add parking structures or transit as necessary.
You know, organic growth?
>>
>>2000473
I dislike it because they're being misleading by illustrating so many mature trees. Even if they do plant that many they're going to keep them pruned back to a fraction of their fully grown size (which would be decades from now).
>>
>>2000473
>Although I love the concept, I hate how they did their concept art for this thing. Yes, the bottom picture is ideal, but if the building is still in serviceable condition (and in a lot of malls, this is a big if) then starting by converting one or two lots into apartments, and seeing what businesses return to the mall is a quicker, less financially risky, and ultimately less intrusive way to accomplish all the same goals. Rinse, repeat, and add parking structures or transit as necessary.
>You know, organic growth?

From what I've seen with malls, unless you specifically block out sections of parking lots for future development (like how suburban shopping centers turn bits of parking lot in front into new sit-down restaurants), if you're converting sections into apartments, you've already lost.

In Memorial City Mall (successful mall in Houston), an underused part of the parking lot was turned into a new apartment building, though it was the only part of the parking lot not upgraded in an early 2000s renovation and was in the back of the mall near where residential areas were, not with other commercial development.

Elsewhere in Houston, Greenspoint Mall, which was once the premier mall of Houston but has been dying a slow death over 30 years, now has new apartment buildings being built on the main parking lot in front of the old Sears. There isn't any hope for the mall, it's already being redeveloped before demolition.

The rendering is just to attract investors and how the filled-out plan actually would look like. The reality is that they'll probably flatten the mall and will probably be a lopsided development as there's part new development and part old parking lot surrounded by empty space.
>>
>>1998805
And Austin is working on more light rail, turning multiple large shopping centers into multi-use complexes complete with retention ponds that, along with more grass and less concrete, will help with flooding, they’re building out and densifying at the same time. I left Austin for reasons but that city is set up to be insanely great in the next 20-30 years. The only constraint is going to be highway infrastructure, especially 35 through downtown.
>>
>>2000573
TXDOT really baffles me. Every local leader in Austin opposed that freeway expansion but TXDOT just barrels forward with a 20-lane freeway downtown. Fucking idiots.
>>
>>1991833
They will "try" but fail hard by election season due to pissing off too many voters and they do not wish to make Developers mad. It's right wing virtue signaling.
>>
>>1992294
I would say 95% of the U.S is Car Depandant. But the worst offenders are in the Sunbelt and Southwest Region as a whole. Tons of land and potential to really turn these places around and build them to not be Car dependant.
>>
>>1992651
It's isolated and not mixed well together. It just looks like a Silo development.
>>
>>1994439
That looks like Freedom to me.
>>
>>1997252
I am glad Kansas voted it down. Same thing happened in Arizona with the Coyotes in Tempe. The stadium was non operational 7 months out of the year and the owner kept trying to peddle mixed use but had no investors because it was a facade. I will miss Hockey but Sports teams need to start getting behind the Mixed Use and be apart of the city and be a multi-use facility otherwise it's worthless.
>>
>>1997579
>Sports teams wanting Gibs
I can agree. This is also another reason why Sports in America suck. They do not allow these franchises to fail and rise like in Soccer around the world.
>>
>>2001599
Austin fucked themselves over years ago when they decided not to build any freeways as relief/alternate routes.

The current situation in Austin is the end result of thinking "freeways just induce demand, maybe we shouldn't ever touch our infrastructure and hope that the problem solves itself".
>>
>>2001627
>Austin fucked themselves over years ago when they decided not to build any freeways as relief/alternate routes.
They have plenty of parkway style separated freeways going around the city. Anybody trying to go through, not into, Austin is going to take one of those freeways instead of I-35. I-35 is used to get in/out of the city because it is there, not because it is necessary.

>The current situation in Austin is the end result of thinking "freeways just induce demand, maybe we shouldn't ever touch our infrastructure and hope that the problem solves itself".
I mean, this will result in a situation where people take alternate surface roads if they have to drive, or people will ride the bus/light rail if they have the ability. Widening I-35 just results in shifting traffic from those surface roads and transit until commute times reach the old equilibrium. Austin's real failing is not refusing to expand I-35 earlier or add additional downtown freeways, it's refusing to build heavy rail in favor of a solitary, mostly single-tracked light rail line. Yes I realize they have extensions planned, but they refuse to fund their construction, resulting in a huge loss for for mobility in and around the city with Austin heavily densifying in downtown and downtown-adjacent areas
>>
>>2001674
>They have plenty of parkway style separated freeways going around the city. Anybody trying to go through, not into, Austin is going to take one of those freeways instead of I-35. I-35 is used to get in/out of the city because it is there, not because it is necessary.
They are toll roads. Highway 1 doesn't even go anywhere; the loop is incomplete. During rush hour, they're ALREADY used.
>Widening I-35 just results in shifting traffic from those surface roads and transit until commute times reach the old equilibrium
There's a lot of traffic on I-35 that goes more than just in-city, and it's impractical to go off on surface roads anyway. There's not even ramps where you can drive on a "business route". A lot of I-35 traffic is due to sprawl, and that sprawl is from people priced out of the city.
>it's refusing to build heavy rail in favor of a solitary, mostly single-tracked light rail line
Just like widening freeways doesn't magically conjure up traffic, it doesn't work that way for rail, either. They added a new siding to allow for shorter headways (not yet implemented) but it's ridership is still extremely low
>heavily densifying in downtown and downtown-adjacent areas
None of that is equaling to lower rent (it just means better deals for developers), and Austin STILL has lower rent than the West Coast.
>>
>>2001689
>None of that is equaling to lower rent
lol. lmao
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-among-metros-in-the-us-with-steepest-rent-declines/
>>
>>2001717
The job market in Austin softened so people moved elsewhere. Not sure what kind of 'gotcha' that was supposed to be.
>>
>>2001719
>2-3% population increase in the metro area year over year
>https://www.macrotrends.net/global-metrics/cities/22926/austin/population
Anon why are you such a lying faggot holy shit
>>
>>2001722
Why are you lying?

>Between July 2022 and July 2023, U.S. Census Bureau data shows a negative migration for Travis County. About 2,500 more people left the county than moved in.
https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/more-people-leaving-than-coming-to-travis-county-for-first-time-in-20-years

>In its fourth annual report on U.S. moving trends, PODS Enterprises — the moving and storage company known for its portable containers — ranks Austin No. 5 among the top 10 locations people are leaving this year.
https://www.statesman.com/story/business/real-estate/2024/05/28/pods-moving-trends-austin-texas-home-sale-prices-cost-of-living-weather-real-estate-housing-market/73704601007/
>>
>>2001674
I-35 needs to traverse the country. It's connectivity is broken if random cities along the path do away with it.
>>
>>2001730
>https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/more-people-leaving-than-coming-to-travis-county-for-first-time-in-20-years
>Between July 2022 and July 2023, U.S. Census Bureau data shows a negative migration for Travis County
From your own source this 2500 net loss in Travis County, which is not the same thing as the Austin metro area. The Austin metro area and Austin the city has gained in population overall, year over year, despite a county partially within it losing a paltry 2500 people. There are two other counties in the metro area that still gained people. I know math is hard for you, but if 2500 people leave one county that makes up a metro area and 5000 come in to another county, that's net growth. I'll also point out that the CBS Austin census link doesn't even say what the article purports it to say:
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/traviscountytexas/PST045223
Travis County increased in population from April 1 2020 to July 1 2023 shows a 3.5% gain in population. Losing 2500 people is a .19% decrease, it's a blip and does not show a reversal in the overall trend of Austin growing.

You are charlatan, a liar, and peddler of falsehoods. Fuck off.

>>2001738
>It's connectivity is broken if random cities along the path do away with it.
It doesn't need to go direct through downtown Austin, that's the point. Upgrade Hwy130 and Hwy45 to the new I-35 interstate route, those and Hwy183 are already where any north/south traffic that isn't destined for downtown goes. Then decomission I-35 within the Hwy183 and Hwy71. It's the same deal as my own city, Atlanta. People only drive on I-75/85 or I-20 within the I-285 loop if they're going somewhere inside the perimeter. Nobody is driving those interstates to go through Atlanta, they take I-285 to go around.
>>
>>2001768
>You are charlatan, a liar, and peddler of falsehoods. Fuck off.
Not an argument. Sorry that you can't handle being wrong when given actual US Census data.
>>
>>2001722
>>2001730
Travis County and the Austin metro area aren't the same thing. Travis County's population is static as far as statistics go but the suburbs are expanding, and one of the reasons is that Austin has gotten too expensive to live in. The result--more sprawl!
>>
File: Montmarte,Paris.jpg (1.06 MB, 2736x3648)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
Why do Americans hate living in cities proper?
>>
>>2002065
americans dug their own grave by creating a feedback loop of ruining their own cities and refuse to change anything
>oh wow these minority filled areas sure are getting dirty and crime rates are rising, how do we fix this?
>lets abandon the city and live in the suburbs, and since we cant move every job to the suburbs lets make sure there are huge highways to take you directly downtown because cars are the best form of transportation and freedom
>hmm tearing neighborhoods apart with freeways didn't really help much, and now our city is bigger and traffic is getting really bad, lets build more highway lanes
>hmmm this downtown sure isn't getting any better for some reason, lets keep building homes in the suburbs and relocate retail to giant complexes.
repeat ad infinitum
>>
>>2002068
Yes Mr. Foreigner tell us how the US works
>>
>>2002070
I live in canada, every point there applies to canada as well (and many parts of the UK) I'm just not going to be obtuse and muddy my point, nothing I said was incorrect.
>>
>>2002070
Cool cope, amerilard. Admit you are a cuck who saw a nigger next to his workplace and decided to.flee into the suburbs rather than dealing with the problem like an adult.
For a country so proud about muh guns, you sure are cucked when ut comes to cleaning up society from the dregs you hate so much.
>>
>>2002073
>>2002076
rent free
>>
>>2002080
counter the points then
>>
>>2002065
Too bad building medium density in America now is a bunch of cardboard deathtrap towers. I don't even trust developers to build something one story.
>>
>>2002065
way too cramped
>>
>>2002068
>oh wow these minority filled areas sure are getting dirty and crime rates are rising, how do we fix this?
Every time we try to fix this a bunch of jews from NY, DC and California appear and start crying about racism.
>now our city is bigger and traffic is getting really bad
It's not, though. US cities proper have vastly better commute times than any other cities in the world of comparable size. Only NY is bad compared to the rest and it's still better than average worldwide.
>>
Do you think there are any big obstacles in urban planning for US cities that are especially transport related right now? I don't need solutions, just struggles for contemporary cities that impede economic and demographic growth.
I'm doing a project where I connect urban planning to my major, math, and I chose transportation because there's a lot of math involved with traffic flow and congestion, transportation networks, effects of adding or removing roads, etc.
>>
San Francisco has approved 16 homes this year.

https://www.newsweek.com/san-francisco-only-agreed-build-16-homes-this-year-1907831
>>
I'm a civil engineer from EU, can anyone who talks loudly about housing issue and that governments should build houses explain the procedure how this should be done? Like step by step from decision making to handing over the keys to new homeowners.
>>
>>2002780
If white people are existing peacefully. Build more project 8.
>>
>>2002780
remove r1 zoning on every area within metro limits and increase taxes on non primary dwellings. use government funding to produce rental housing with reduced rents in areas that badly need it. allow retail and offices near or in new suburban developments so people don't have to drive to do anything. encourage old people to not sit in their houses until they die by either one of:
1. increasing property taxes to force them to sell
2. laxing taxes for selling their home so it's easier to downsize

removing the strict zoning wouldn't really change the layout of low COL places where people are happy with 15 minute drives to groceries but if you did it in san francisco then many old houses would be sold off and redeveloped as the owners would make massive profit.
>>
>>2002786
>encourage old people to not sit in their houses until they die by either one of:
>1. increasing property taxes to force them to sell
Fuck you, bimbo
>>
>>2002786
when did yimbys just give up on trying to sound even remotely sane? I guess it's one of those things where if you say increasingly crazy things in small steps it almost seems like nothing happened
>>
>>2002786
> remove r1 zoning on every area within metro limits
We don't have those. We have no publicly available land, only privately owned land and gov protected national parks and such.
> and increase taxes on non primary dwellings
That's fine I personally agree.
> use government funding to produce rental housing with reduced rents in areas that badly need it.
Yeah but how exactly you produce the rental housing as a government? Do you confiscate the land from private owners or you build houses in a desert of arizona or wherever you have free public land? As I said for example in germany we don't have free land.
> allow retail and offices near or in new suburban developments so people don't have to drive to do anything.
That's the second unrelated issue, not talking about that.
> 1. increasing property taxes to force them to sell
Didn't you say for non-primary land above? I was agreeing with that, but not with the primary ones.
> removing the strict zoning wouldn't really change the layout of low COL places where people are happy with 15 minute drives to groceries but if you did it in san francisco then many old houses would be sold off and redeveloped as the owners would make massive profit.
Bruh I was just asking about real algorithm, not possibilities etc. I did because I don't see a single possible way to do that without going full communist and take land from their owners by force. As an engineer I single-handedly designed more than 200 houses already and kinda know something about construction and land, but I can't see a way.
>>
>>2002811
you can't just say EU and then say it's specifically for germany, I have no idea and I was under the assumption there wasn't a huge housing crisis in germany like there is in US, canada, and netherlands. are you saying currently owned SFH in germany has no zoning restrictions and the houses could be sold by owner and developed into anything that fit on the lot? I doubt that
>>2002804
>>2002796
I proposed a nice solution that benefits retire in placers and one that doesn't so it's fair.
>>
>>2002828
>and netherlands
We can talk about the Netherlands if you like. It's the same over there - privately owned farmland. What's the solution? Take a farmers land by force?
>are you saying currently owned SFH in germany has no zoning restrictions and the houses could be sold by owner and developed into anything that fit on the lot? I doubt that
No, it's opposite. There is the land around the cities, once upon a time owner (usually a farmer or farmers kids) decides to sell it, if there's no zoning planned already (called Bebauungsplan) the city clerks come and investigate the land, then politicians of that commune gather and decide in a meeting if it can be used for living and if so how exactly (% of covered land by buildings, max number of storeys, max living area etc). Usually it's being split between the business and solely living space, and those decisions are highly corrupted even in Germany.

But let's say those politicians decide you can build 10 storeys commieblocks all over that farmland and even decide to pay for infrastructure. How does this change the housing? It is still the private property being sold privately to a construction company or an investor. The investor puts his money, calculates the profit and sells the flats in those commieblocks by € per unit area and the price is still in hundreds of thousands. But it's still not government providing housing, that is why I was asking about the exact plan.
>>
File: IMG_8181.png (180 KB, 700x615)
180 KB
180 KB PNG
>>
>>2002989
that doesn't work anymore. what they do now is build more housing and keep the rent artificially high. apparently they make more money that way so this is the future
https://upriseri.com/fbi-raids-corporate-landlord-in-major-rent-price-fixing-probe-what-it-means-for-you/
>>
>>2002989
this but unironically
>>
>>2002989
Governments don't actually want to fix this because it keeps GDP high
>>
>>2002999
not just that but many areas have tax loopholes that unintentionally made landlords want to keep their rentable properties empty to reduce their tax burden.
>>
>>2002836
the exact plan for government housing is to do what the developers do but the rent is artificially lowered because it's being subsidized, also if there is a surplus of housing then a bunch of new dense housing will be cheaper or it won't sell and they will lose money letting it sit unpurchased/rented
>>
>>2003054
>also if there is a surplus of housing then a bunch of new dense housing will be cheaper or it won't sell and they will lose money letting it sit unpurchased/rented
Usually the latter. Know what happens to stuff that can't be rented at a profit? It gets demolished. That's why you see parking lots in downtown areas and vacant lots everywhere else.
>>
>>2003059
anywhere with actual demand won't have that happen, this discussion is about housing crisis' not building an apartment building in dayton.
>>
>>2003083
But that's what exactly what happened to Houston in the late 1980s.
>lots of new apartments
>downturn in economy
>rents plummet
>market rate for apartments goes below return on investment on apartments
>demolished because it's losing money hand over fist
Cheaper apartment complexes are going to have the lower rate because they have a lower ROI. There isn't going to be some "get a downtown apartment for $200 a month" fantasy, no matter what
>>
>>2003054
> the exact plan for government housing is to do what the developers do but the rent is artificially lowered because it's being subsidized
I'm missing the "exact" part. Did you mean government has to buy the land, build the houses and the infrastructure, and rent them for cheap? Or what? Why do I have to pull the words out of your mouth, just say straight away what you mean.

>also if there is a surplus of housing then a bunch of new dense housing will be cheaper
This is 100% wrong. I'm not going to repeat what the guy above said, but you should learn how demand and supply works in such cases.
>>
>>2001730
>Why are you lying?
Why can't you read your own sources?
>>2002068
Unfortunately this is accurate. It's cutting their own hand to spite their face. It's not even that density and the cities are bad because of design, but somehow they convinced themselves that it was lol. Now we are going full circle back to tradition and having to rebuild America like this.
>>
File: 45345345.png (2.83 MB, 3648x1212)
2.83 MB
2.83 MB PNG
>>2003092
NTA but I Agree I would also say Chicago is a good example of affordability. That city just fucking builds massive apartments, condos, skyscrapers, and does not let up on ownership and rent. It is cheaper to live there and even in good areas than it is to live in the Southwest funny enough. The main issue also comes down to the fact that in the Southwest we need to just stop caring about people who make up excuses about density being built as a bad thing when it comes to building Affordable Housing, Market Rate and even Luxury as a whole. The Single Family thing is just not attainable as much as it used to be and it's because of Boomers locking in the housing and the low interest rates in regards to those places.

Also i agree with you saying a Downtown Apartment being 200$ is not happening at all, but i do agree with it being reasonable in the future especially if it's densely built. Because once things are built out heavily by the decade,
and Boomers die. You will see this gigantic cascade of everything becoming more affordable to where it's almost scary. Sort of like a Japan situation where things are more affordable and places will have to compete on amenities. Like Public Transit, Jacuzzi, Heated Bathtubs, advertising better retail to shop at nearby etc etc.
>>
>>2003059
>>2003054
I would say you both are correct. Government Affordable Housing might be the better option for certain areas and edge use cases. But i would also argue constantly building it too much can cause issues and losses because of the fact Government would have to upkeep this throughout the city. A better proposal would be to build some affordable high density areas for edge use cases like Homelessness, Disability, Poverty working alongside Non-Profits. But also to incentivize developers to have 10-15% affordable housing in every Multifamily, Mixed Use area and to work on trying to help fund larger density and taller buildings, bigger commercial space through subsidies of AC/Electric and Rent for 5 years to help Developers make their money back as usually the first few years are always shaky for new building projects due to being new and not many move out so quickly in those areas. This would help all problems with Affordability because for every 500 units, there is 5 or 7 units of Affordability. This may not add up to much on a single building, but if built enough and higher then it will solve it over time.
>>
>>2003172
*Subsidizing Utilities like Electric, Heating, AC, Waste Disposal.
>>
>>2003163
>Still mad a week later
Just try harder next time anon
>>
>>2003059
> Know what happens to stuff that can't be rented at a profit? It gets demolished

THATS patently untrue and another one of your fallacies.
I literally live across the street from a giant building in the heart of downtown that’s been vacant for over 15 years and not demolished. You just made that up lol.

Build more apartments and apartments get cheaper. Your story about Houston is bullshit as well.
>>
>>2003297
>Your story about Houston is bullshit as well.
Page 2 coming.
>>
File: slums 2.jpg (1.32 MB, 1035x1112)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB JPG
>>2003304
>>2003297
>Build more apartments and apartments get cheaper.
Again, there is a limit to how cheap apartments get before they start doubling up on tenants or considered a candidate for a teardown.
>I literally live across the street from a giant building in the heart of downtown that’s been vacant for over 15 years and not demolished.
It depends on who owns it. It doesn't automatically get demolished. The problem is a lot of new development is leveraged by investors, and if it falls into the banks' hands in foreclosure they're not going to be as patient.

A few choice quotes from the article:
>Nearly all, however, are tied to the unrealistic growth of the 70s and later decay of Houston's economy in the 80s.
>The inflation of the late 1970s nearly guaranteed you could build the property and sell it at a profit, Gaines said, and of course, there was a housing shortage.
>Oddly enough, the rents for the decaying apartments are usually about the same as rents for better apartments in other areas of Houston. But managers of decaying apartments aren't choosy about many people live in each apartment.
>Many of the lending institutions are giving up and simply bulldozing the complexes to wait for a better land use in later years
>>
>>2003172
The problem with building affordable housing in new units means other units have higher prices to compensate to get a return on investment, which when done in great numbers screws over the market. 100% government housing (absent of problems that usually arise from such developments) means that it's a write-off for land value purposes.
>>
File: 1718378724103.jpg (494 KB, 1024x683)
494 KB
494 KB JPG
Guys just let the government build high-rise social houses by taxing the middle class again and let the people who deserve it (niggers, dog walkers, drug addicts and syrian jobless) live there for free. This time it will be different I swear! >>2003054
>>
>>2003307
> Again, there is a limit to how cheap apartments get before they start doubling up on tenants or considered a candidate for a teardown.

No, you just made that up. Obvious cope is obvious.

And even IF your statement were true, we’re nowhere near that limit. That’s like worrying about a flood in the Sahara.

American cities need a lot more apartments. We’re about 10 million homes short in this country and the best way to alleviate that shortage is via multifamily. Anyone claiming otherwise is doing Olympic-level mental gymnastics lol.
>>
>>2003313
yes, unironically a giant slum project is better than letting people spill out onto the streets. of course this is ignoring any obvious non arguments like
>just kill/jail all of them
>>
>>2003316
>We’re about 10 million homes short in this country
We could just deport this amount of illegal aliens over a few years. Just sayin'.
>>
File: 1718436986995.jpg (56 KB, 597x473)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>2003424
Or the government can build houses exclusively for workers and lower middle class like it was done in UK at some point and become 3x stronger economically, letting them breed in their homes instead. Won't happen of course since a white straight civil engineer like me who designs those houses obviously does not deserve his own house.



[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.