[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why the hell were so many cities built on a grid with roads running North-South and East-West? With the East-West roads you get the blinding sun directly in front of you a lot of the time. If your workplace is east of home you get blinded in both the morning and evening commute.

All you have to do to solve this is rotate the grid 45 degrees. Now the sun is never directly in front of you. When it's low in the horizon it will dip behind trees and buildings on the side of the roads. Buildings following the street grid won't get no direct sunlight on the North and South facing windows and blasted on the East and West facing windows.

Why did nobody think of this when cities were being planned?
>>
>>1992047
leylines
>>
At the risk of sounding like REEEEE CARS stereotype, back in the day people didn't drive incredibly heavy, fast, dangerous machines everywhere and intentionally disregard common sense to maintain an average speed at least 10mph faster than the statutory maximum or they'd get rammed from behind and cause a violent wreck and get blamed for "causing an accident"
>>
The rising / setting position of the Sun changes throughout the year, so you're fucked at some point no matter which way the roads are oriented.
>>
>>1992049
Being blinded by the sun is an issue for cycling and walking too. While cycling on certain roads at certain times of the day you can't look forwards without serious sunglasses, and even with them your vision is quite limited.
>>
>>1992060
The Earth is only tilted by 23.5 degrees. The position of the sun at sunrise and sunset only changes by that much.

Actually, instead of just rotating the grid 45 degrees North-South, here's how it should be done: Figure out what months the sun is low in the horizon during morning and evening rush hour for a given city. Figure out the angle to the sun during those months. Rotate the street grid 45 degrees from this angle.
>>
Here Sunset ranges from 233 degrees at the winter solstice to 310 degrees on the summer solstice. A sweep between roughly SW and NW. Between Sunrises and Sunsets at some point the Sun will be pointed at you here for about half the compass.
>>
File: bigbrainbobby.jpg (30 KB, 736x736)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>1992060
Make it so the roads only travel north and south then
>>
>>1992065
>Rotate the street grid 45 degrees from this angle.
Why not rotate them 180° so you don't ever face the sun?
>>
File: hyberloob.jpg (15 KB, 498x278)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>1992069
underground roads then
>>
>>1992061
It really isn't though. I mean yeah it's certainly nice to have decent sunglasses, I absolutely adore accessorizing and I have sunnies of all shades, oakley, 100%, maui jim, tom ford, moscot, oliver peoples, my future is so bright I need it all

But at the end of the day you should be able to get by without it, by simply changing your behavior. Or at least, by changing behavior, in general. If you can't safely operate a bicycle traveling west at sunset without sunglasses, something has gone wrong. Probably, you're riding among motor vehicles at a high rate of speed and you feel obligated to "keep up" lest you be rammed from behind and blamed for your own death, which simply reinforces my earlier point about cars being the problem here. Adjust your speed based on the current conditions. The speed limit is not "your minimum allowed speed minus 10"
>>
>>1992047
What I'm gathering from this post is that I should put a solar sail on my bike since I work west of where I live
>>
>>1992132
>Probably, you're riding among motor vehicles at a high rate of speed and you feel obligated to "keep up"

Most of my commute is a separated bike path. Having limited vision in that section is worse than when riding with car traffic. Cars are generally more predictable and you can hear them coming. You don't get much warning of cyclists coming in the opposite direction and can easily miss hand turn signals when seeing any of that means staring directly into the sun.
>>
>>1992061
grid planning existed well before the concept of wagecucks commuting every day even existed, and then when that did become a thing it generally involved people walking just 15 minutes from their home, or living above their shop or whatever.
>>
>>1992047
it allows for more light to enter the street. It provides warmer temperatures, melts ice, and in the absence of electric lighting essential in lighting the shops, stores, and houses.
>>
File: RN61.gif (3.48 MB, 640x640)
3.48 MB
3.48 MB GIF
>>1992047
I got it! a giant corkscrew road that wraps the planet that runs perpindicular to the sunset. All you would ever need to do is drive straight and the slight curve will take you all over the world
>>
>>1992047
I’ve lived in Phoenix AZ and this is indeed an issue especially if your windshield is old and sandblasted. You can’t see shit and visors don’t help
>>
>>1992078
Kek
>>
Both of our large bus depots are orientated so that they receive full sun all day if they were ran east to west instead of north to south they get some shade and it makes me wonder if it was intentional because of homeless
>>
>>1992582
>Want on travel due north
>17 days of driving east

Sounds like some desert bus shit
>>
Most of the Midwest and Great Plains were plotted out on a grid system in the early 19th century to aid land grants, sales and settlement. Unless there was something like a river or old Indian trail, roads and towns followed this autistic grid.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.