[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Grew up on 90s MTBs in the 00s, fell for the fixie meme around high school and college '10s, and now that I have $$$ I really don't care for peak performance Road nor MTB. I just want to cruise around the same dirt roads and trails around me in no rush. I had a gravel bike, it was okay. I saw what you guys meant by being under biked.

Money sorta isn't an issue and for the first time ever I can afford high end shit, but instead of listing after the latest full suspension trail bike or high end proper gravel bike, I just want some old school and as simple as possible.... but capable of mild trails and dirt roads.
I had some trek with 35mm tires. A Giant Fathom 29er.... KHS Zaca... Cannondale F400 I just get bored and want something different, not necessarily/better/

None of my friends care to ride. I don't like group rides. I Don't like riding on the street.

What should I get?

It has to be all black and I'll put on a Brooks saddle.
>>
Just get any old black steel bike and pick all the parts yourself.

If you don't know what parts to pick, go to rivendell, they specialize in selling slow shit to clueless people who just want to spend money
>>
>>1993793
>old school and as simple as possible.... but capable of mild trails and dirt roads.
80s/90s mtb. but a really nice one.
>>
just go used.
>mild trails+dirt roads
optimal for a 90's or early 2k mtb.
I find them all simple besides cantilever setup, but if that's annoying v-brakes fit.
With extra dough just get a nicer model like a klein, bontrager, fat chance, ritchey, or whatever you like.
>>
Nah. I had an amazing Cannondale that was absolutely flawless except the 26" tires. My knees and ankles absolutely love big hoops of 650B+ and 29"s. That's why I sold it.
Idk what I want. I'm just sending lowball offers throughout offerup. I just need something different and exciting. I think I am going full squish.
>>
>dirt roads and mild trails

Yeah I'm downplaying that. There are some.steep as fuck parts, and section of rocks that made me.get rid of my gravel rig.
>>
A Jones complete might work well for your needs. I have one and it's bretty gud.
>>
File: IMG_2138.jpg (340 KB, 2592x1936)
340 KB
340 KB JPG
You sound like a faggot
Go buy a surly or crust or something.
>>
File: koma.png (177 KB, 360x360)
177 KB
177 KB PNG
it would be pretty cool to build up a "modern" gravel bike with fenders, upright bars, and shimano 7spd internally geared hub.
>>
>>1993793
jewwww white Chinese, the shit hole racist pedo American white pigs, experience Pearl Harbor again and be slaughtered and exterminated!

from japan
>>
surly lowsides are made for taking money from people like you
>>
>>1994337
Shut the fuck up
>>
File: IMG_20240329_145125.jpg (609 KB, 1244x933)
609 KB
609 KB JPG
The answer is invariably a rigid steel 29er.
Cushy ride with no suspension to worry about, the only maintenance it'll ever need is the tires, drivetrain and brake pads, and you can go as wide or narrow with the tires as you want.
I'd reconsider the color requirement, it's easier to get a frame that you like and repaint it than it is to find what you're looking for in exactly the color you want. Off the top of my head Marin Muirwoods and Brother Cycles Big Bro come in black.
>>
>>1994995
>Brother Cycles Big Bro
Wait I mixed that up, it was Nordest Sardinha, Big Bro comes in brown.
>>
>>1994995
My bro posts about rigid 29ers, I give him a you
>>1993793.
Marin muirwoods it's good and dirt cheap, unique nowadays. Once they finally mount some thru axles and a replaceable derailleur hanger it could be perfect. Of course the other cheap alternative are s*urly. All the other euro boutique bikes of this kind come in frames I think. If you have money for complete bikes You also have the bombtrack beyond both in steel or alu, I think they come in black.
If I was murigan I'd buy a Poseidon since Idgaf about steel, or a velo orange piolet.
There's a lot of these kind of bikes really, bikepacking has a nice list.
>>
>>1993793
Just go the easy way and just buy a new around 2k$ hardtail 29in mtb.
You get the best of modern tech like dropper posts, geometry and great groupsets without the silly markup of electronic groupsets and shit.

With old bikes there is always something to wrench on, 26inch kids wheels are a nightmare if you are tall, old mtb suspensions suck mayor balls and 3x groupsets are a bitch to set up.
>>
>>1994995
Rigid 29er is the correct answer, the only more correct answer is a klunker
>>1995011
Hardtails are lame and this anon is gay
>>
>>1994337
Adult BMX is based tho
>>
Brakeless fixed gear is about as simple as it gets.
>>
File: 1713338712786559.jpg (14 KB, 142x250)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>1995026
The simplest way to a grave, sure.
>>
File: 0506241738d~2.jpg (3.3 MB, 4166x2169)
3.3 MB
3.3 MB JPG
>>1994995
>>1994274 yes hello
>>
OP here. I know it's the wrong tool for the job but I like it. I love the simplicity. I like the aesthetic. I like that it's so chill and low key. It's..... a bicycle. Anyone know if these common fixie frames can fit 650B x ~2" slicks on them?
>>
>>1996693
650bx2" is actually not only wider but also a bigger overall wheel, so most probably not going to fit unless you size down the width and Even then, you're more likely to run into width limits than the limits of the wheel size. Better bet would be 1.5" but even then, doing so would probably cost about twice what that frame is worth so
>>
>>1996700
Thanks. Yeah I took it for a ride, this thing just isn't for me.
>>
>>1996736
You can maybe get a 650x38 or 42 in there. You could just get a vintage mtb and run cassette spacers, single speed cog, and a chain tensioner/derailleur.
>>
>>1996736
Those bikes are good in deep urban environments, not the kind of bike you'd take on a dirt road across rural suburbia. In their natural habitat of the concrete jungle, the singlespeed/fixed gear is amazingly convenient.
>>
>>1996693
I have a steamroller with 35mm tires on at the moment, i think you can even go to 42mm with a 650b.
The 35's perform decently on loose gravel and packed forest paths. Even easy single trails are doable and fun.
The underbiking aspect creates many fun challenges on otherwise 'easy' routes which i like.
I'd say dont give up on the singlespeed do-it-all bike.
>>
Ya I just need to stfu and ride

28mm tires are so fucking gay
>>
>>1996963
I ride roads like that with 28s once in a while, yeah it sucks but it's not that bad. If I could choose though, I'd rather be on my rigid 27.5x2.3 for that
>>
>>1996963
Perfect terrain for my rigid single speed mtb with 26 x 1.5 or 1.9 tires.
I love 28's...... on the road.
>>
>>1996963
>>1996736
Also check your gear ratio, it seems kinda high for this kind of terrain.
>>
>>1996963
love me some oury grips.
But man those bars seem narrow. For me flat bars are perfect in the 600mm range for road.
>>
>>1993793
I remember in officer school when we had to do a 8 hour patrol on those bicycles, wasn't a lot of fun with the minimal sleep I got. Damn you Ordonnanzrad.
>>
>>1996693
>>1996736
>>1996963
that is an absolute garbage bike, you have been scammed. For the money you could have converted your own and had 5x better components
>>
>>1998598
No
>>
Wabi thunder

Also fucking kys prick
>>
>>1993793
You have ridden classic steel. Go to carbon.

I suggest a Salsa Warbird C. Frameset is 2199. Full builds go from 3350 to 7500 usd.

Youll fly down those trails in carbon comfort.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.