[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: swan-road.jpg (65 KB, 800x800)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
What are some good and simple carbon roadbike fenders/mudguards? I got showered 4 times during a ride yesterday (and the 5th tine was a hail), I'm sick of road spray. I am looking at the zefal swan (pic related) because it seems simple to mount when needed and is really cheap. Are the aks ones much better? They seem way more involved to install.
>>
File: 20231207_041345.jpg (3.49 MB, 4080x3060)
3.49 MB
3.49 MB JPG
>>1996581
No experience with that mudgaurd, but my old SKS ones work nice. I like that they fit many sized mtb's seatposts, and the front one has inserts that go in the steerer.
Obviously plastic, but that's light enough for my use case.
>>
A plastic bottle from the roadside shoved between the saddle rails.
>>
>>1996581
>>1996581
This shit looks vile. Look at SKS Raceblade (they have versions for rim and disc brakes) or Ass Savers Win Wing. I think the Win Wing is the best looking fender, but the coverage isn't very good.
>>
>>1996602
this
get real fenders
>>
>>1996602
Just make sure you are okay with losing some paint and you are okay with some rubbing here and there.
Been my experience with similar sks fenders, they do look way nicer then the above examples
>>
>>1996610
Use 3M tape under the straps.
>>
>>1996581
These are total crap.

>>1996602
Something similar to these is what you want.
>>
>>1996602
I don't mind the look of zefal and it seems way easier to mount. I wouldn't use this regularly, only put it on when the weather is unoredictable or shitty.

What makes the sks better? Its triple price.
>>
>>1996600
I keep a lot of stuff in a saddle bag
>>
File: zefal.jpg (239 KB, 2318x400)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
>>1996581
I have that fender, I'm pretty happy with it. The SKS meme fenders (I've tried all of them) are marginally better but practice it isn't as big an advantage as you might expect unless you have a very short ride and are very slow, and there are disadvantages to going apeshit and trying to trap every last speck of road spray (not happening, sorry)
>>
>>1994513
kys
>>
>>1996678
I agree. My favorite part is being able to move seatpost fenders so easily.
The tire rub was the annoying part of full fenders.
>>
File: PXL_20240305_042553291.jpg (1.26 MB, 4032x3024)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
i got these SKS beavertail fenders, i think they were called. kind of a nice in-between. they work well, provide better coverage than clip on thingies, and are only a minor fuss to remove. also, don't @ me about the overlong cables and stupid handlebars. everyone makes mistakes. i'm working on it.
>>
>>1996812
oh i should mention how they mount. you screw in these little L-shaped flat metal tabs to your brake bridge and then the actual fender just sort of slides onto them, so if you don't mind those little pieces of metal you can pop the fenders off in like a second
>>
>>1996812
love that little dude on the front
reckon you could get something similiar silly on the forks brake cable stop
>>
>>1996669
It's close enough to the wheel to actually keep you clean.
>>
>>1996710
>The tire rub was the annoying part of full fenders.

Set them up properly once, then there is no rub.
>>
>>1996822
You should probably leave the mechanical discussions to the adults
>>
>carbon road bike
>fenders
But why? Like, my bike has fenders and I like them, but it's a city bike. Why do you want an absolutely "no fenders" sort of frame and then put fenders on it? Are you going to kit it out with lights and racks and big comfy tires and a gearhub next?
>>
>>1997131
>Are you going to kit it out with lights and racks and big comfy tires and a gearhub next?
>tfw no carbon city cruiser
>>
>>1996823
Yeah. That is if you have the clearance. Which you usually dont, partly because a 23mm tire is often times the slimmest you get today. This is where the hackjobs start and why no fender install ever goes nicely unless its some sort of granny bike.
>>
>>1997150
I am running 32 mm Conti Ultrasport 3, with Fenders, no problem. Sure, took me a few test rides to get everything adjusted, but it's been a few thousand kilometres since, with no issues.
>>
>>1997131
What's an "absolutely no fenders" frame? I checked mine for stuff like that but all I see is a UCI sticker. Does the dutch government publish a hit list of frames to scream obscenities at when you people see my people enjoying them wrong (which is to say enjoying them since the dutch apparently hate fun)?

>>1997159
I found 700x28 to be the easiest when I was running full retard fenders but I could get scwalbe winter 700x30 studded under them with a bit of suffering (once set up it was fine for the rest of the winter). Granted this was on a steel frame bike with a fair amount more clearance than my carbon frame I currently do the most riding on, but it had drop bars and 2x10 which makes it an extreme sports armstrong bike according to the karens here
>>
>>1996583
Thats actually not bad at all. I have a normal not carbon road bike seatpost and that would fit.

I ride w/o fenders or mudguards bc Im a lycra guy who rides dry tarmac but that would work great. Its the only ass saver Ive seen that doesnt look doofy.
>>
File: quickguard_mudguards.jpg (73 KB, 600x462)
73 KB
73 KB JPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.