[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

ITT: discuss bike tires
>just got first rear flat 3,000 miles after installing new tire a year ago in may 2023
>>
I haven't gotten a flat in 6500 miles (at the time I was still running 700x28, now I'm on 700x32)

For me it is gravelking slick (tubeless)
>>
File: t4.jpg (76 KB, 690x505)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
who know what tyre is this?
>>
>>1997204
Reminds me of older bike tires with the rubber flashing on the sidewall going around the circumference.
Reminds me if the kenda nevegal had a baby with the wtb prowler xt.
Would be a great rear tire for braking/accelerating grip in loose terrain, and the knobs are quite large so should be good digging in.
>>
>>1997193
>installing new tire a year ago in may 2023
you could ride 3000 miles until you reach cactusland and get a flat every km you ride.
You know, that doesn't mean you need a schwalbe marathon, it just means you need to fix the flat. It's not a big deal.
>>
Am I the only one who is upset about the industry getting their way with reducing complexity and ultimately cost of bicycle tire manufacture by offering less and less sizes, all of which is enabled by cyclists being happily placed into that box ?
Where are my 19 mm tires gone, why are the tubulars gone, where's my 650C 36 hole rims, where are my tan walls and semi vulcanized tires ?
>>
>>1997239
I was annoyed 10 years ago when 29 and 27.5 took over 26.
Now I am apathetic and cope instead.
Most women/twinks don't want 19mm tires anymore, and most people are fat so larger tires are better.
tan walls are everywhere.
>>
>>1997239
You're like the mirror universe version of that guy who bought literally every item youtube shilled him and then complained it wasn't delivering value

Just because something is old doesn't make it good, and finding tanwalls and semi-vulcanized is not hard though 19mm is definitely a rarity (why would you do that though)
>>
>>1997239
You really going to ride on 19s? As crazy as I am, not even I hate myself that much.
>>1997242
I should've jumped on the 27.5 band wagon when they first hit mainstream, instead I went 29 for the mtb and 29 sucks compared to 26 (coming from 26). Big however, I recently got 27.5 rigid mtb, best fucking wheel size for rigid mtb
>>1997243
>Just because something is old doesn't make it good
conversely, there's items that have stood the test of time and still around today for a reason.
>>
>>1997246
>Big however, I recently got 27.5 rigid mtb, best fucking wheel size for rigid mtb
twinkposter this is your cue
>>
>>1997237
I don’t get what you mean
>>
>>1997239
If you like narrow tires then high end 23s are often incredibly cheap on webstores, because no one else does.
>>
>>1997239
*fewer sizes
>>
I get punctures out the ass on 700c that are like 28s of narrower. If I ride a 26" I never get flats. It's always super tiny little bits of radial wire from car tires, too. Hate it.
>>
>>1997239
>Where are my 19 mm tires gone, why are the tubulars gone
They both still exist just not much since there's little demand. If you want a 19mm tubular tire they still get produced.
>where's my 650C 36 hole rims
Retarded size. Good thing those are dying out.
>where are my tan walls and semi vulcanized tires
Still exist. You seem like a whiny bitch.
>>
>>1997193

I wanted to buy a pair of Panaracers, holy shit why are they so fucking expensive all of a sudden?

Any other decent brands to look out for? Looking for 45mm gravel tires.
>>
Some lore out of the cheap tire world for those who want to cheap out:
Been happy with 28mm 4seasons, now almost run through my pair - no flats so far.
For my recent tour through the Alps I wanted to switch to 32mm tires without blowing 100 bucks again for a pair of tires.
The Conti Ultra Sport (622-32 costs 13€) and Conti Contact Speed (622-32 costs 20€) seemed promising so I ordered both
Ultra Sport: racing semi slick with no puncture protection
Contact Speed: fast "urban" alrounder with medium puncture protection and slight texture

Decided to use the Cotact Speed for the Alp tour. After 450km no flat on road, gravel, forest paths, snow and ice patches. Good tire, would buy again.

The Ultra Sports went on my urban beater bike, which I ride daily through the city. Went untintentionally through patches of smashed glass - no flat yet. Would also recommend.
>>
>>1997328
>Still exist.
Pls show fast 650C tire, semi vulcanized. Extra points for 19mm.
>>
So how hard should I pump my mountain bike wheel? I am getting defects too often and I am really tired of it.
>>
>>1997351
As hard as the little numbers on the tire say. Go softer if you actually ride it off-road.

>>1997343
Nice goalpost shifting. You can still get each thing you asked for individually just not all at once. 19mm & tubular? Continental Competition. 650c & tan wall? Plenty of options from tons of different manufactures.
>>
>>1997356
There's no moving of goalposts here. The whole point, conveyed through the use of examples, is that one can not get some things anymore that used to be available. Those things might not be optimal or whatever but they were nice and their discontinuation makes some bicycles obsolete entirely.
It's cheaper for the industry to produce fewer sizes and special use products, especially since mostly shifting to completely vulcanized comstruction that requires pricy molds.
Even the small shops that still make tires like everyone once used to and make whatever you ask for are slowly fading away.
>>
>>1997356
>As hard as the little numbers on the tire say
there are a lot of numbers. do you mean 26x11,220?
also, how do I measure that number on my tire? I am only using a lil manual pump
>>
>>1997359
Your obscure meme tire is literally the most special use product in tyre history. Maybe someone would still produce this crap if you actually bought it back then but all you do is whine about no one cartering to your special needs and even if they did you wouldn't buy them anyway.

t. Other guy
>>
>>1997331
gks were on sale for like 45 bucks each when the new ones dropped but i came here to post about how much of a fucking puncturefest my gk slicks have been since going back to tubed. don't even bother if you aren't running them tubeless, christ. their puncture protection is probably short of michelin power tt tires.
it's unfortunate since they aren't that slow for what they are and are fairly supple. i'm probably just going to buy rh tires when these wear out, they don't puncture nearly as much and ride better,
>>
>>1997331
I just got a pair for $79, what are you
>45mm
oh. Weirdo
>>
File: Continental-Logo-Emblem.png (50 KB, 1600x901)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
>>1997333
Ultra sports are surprisingly decent tires for budget tier street tires. They have a lot of grip and nylon is a highly elastic fiber making them surprisingly comfortable at the expense of a heavy and slow rolling tire. They can also handle a decent amount of mileage before needing replacement because of their high mileage silica based compound, PureGrip. Continental also makes a tire with the same compound and design but with a nylon puncture protection strip at the cost of some performance, that tire is the Grand Sport Race. One more market segment up, there's the GrandPrix All Rounder which has a similar design philosophy but uses Black Chili instead of Pure Grip and an polyester puncture protection strip instead of nylon. The GP All Rounder has a lower 3/180 TPI than the GP 5k and the 5k uses an aramid puncture protection strip, which is lighter and faster but much stiffer and less comfortable.
>>
File: ezgif-4-fe5cc53e95.png (165 KB, 660x390)
165 KB
165 KB PNG
>>1997239
everyone still makes tubulars
they still make 19mm tubulars
https://int.vittoria.com/products/pista-oro-tubular?_pos=1&_fid=dd51e162c&_ss=c&variant=47236906647869
tan walls are everywhere
i dont no what you mean by 'semi-vulcanised'
>>
File: bimmer.jpg (807 KB, 2016x1512)
807 KB
807 KB JPG
Just put some Michelin Wild Run'r tyres on my bike, anybody got any experience with them to tell me if I made a good choice or not?
>>
Does Schwalbe offer Marathon Plus tyres that'll fit on a Size L 2018 B'Twin Riverisde 120? I was reading into some more reviews on the Trekking9 Tyre 700 Protect+ and considered returning the two tires I just bought, but then the fire alarm went off at the warehouse so we all just went home instead. Haven't put them on yet just in case it turns out Schwalbe does have some sort of offering which can fit this bike.
>>
>>1997386
Hot color scheme. Also, that cup holder looks strangely familiar.
>>
>>1997390
Thanks, color scheme is factory, had this bike for 10 years now and just started riding it again since I'm tired of being a fat ass.
>>
>>1997239
I'd be perfectly fine if there was only ever:
16", 20", 24" for kids
650B x 40mm
700 x 28mm
700 x 35mm
27.5 x 2"
29 x 2.3" for XC desert
29 x 2.6" for PNW rocks and roots
>>
>>1997392
let small people have 650Bx28mm, too.
and you'll have to take 700x55mm away from my cold, dead hands. large slicks are the supreme gentleman's choice for the city.
>>
you lazy italian bums
deliver those 32mm pzero tlr speedcores already
>>
File: I'm tired.jpg (304 KB, 900x1200)
304 KB
304 KB JPG
As someone who has wiped out on snowy/sludgy cobblestones at least twice per season on 40mm Schwalbe G-One Allround, 40mm Schwalbe Marathon and even on winter-specific 42mm Michelin Star Grip (see first row) and is currently planning a new commuter build with some 65+mm of clearance to maximize contact area, do you think 62mm Continental Contact Urban (see big image) would be a good option? If tests and user reports are to believe they have exceptionally good wet traction on hard surfaces even approaching the freezing point thanks to their compound and nearly slick tread, but I can't find any reports about their snow performance. It doesn't snow often here, only a few times/weeks per season I'd say, but when it does snow it's usually not enough for a useable hardpacked surface and instead it's thin and becomes chewed up by traffic and sludged up by road salt so quickly it turns the cobbles into even more of a slippery nightmare which makes me think knobby tread as you'd expect from snow tires won't make a difference in my case and I may actually be better off treating the conditions the same as wetness and continuing to bet on slicks for maximum contact area.
>>
File: dhdu02no8wrc1_proc.jpg (1.45 MB, 2455x1600)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB JPG
>>1997407
Otherwise which of these Schwalbe treads look the most promising to you for wet cobblestone? From top left to bottom right they're Al Grounder, Green Marathon I think, Hurricane, Marathon Plus MTB, Johnny Watts 365, Super Moto, Marathon Efficiency, Super Moto-X, Marathon Plus Tour and the aforementioned G-One Allround.

Or can you think of other manufacturer's tires in 60 to 65-584 (27.5x2.3 to 2.5/2.6)?
>>
>>1997374
;_;
We have that in eurobux, anywhere 80-100.

>>1997368
RHs are like 125 where I am wtf.
>>
where can I buy foam tires in colone? I'm on welfare so poorfag, and I'm getting a used bike that has broken tires.
i only rode rental ones for 2 hours combined over the last 15 years so I know nothing about bikes, but not having to worry about pressure seems like a good thing. i dont mind if they're worse in other ways I just want to poorfag for long time and no maintenance.

literally any other advice or info I appreciate
>>
>>1997411
worth the extra 45 euros if that's shipped. still, 80 is not a bad price for two solid tires.
>>
>>1997426
ONE tire my dude.

ONE tire costs 80 eurocuckistan dollars.
>>
>>1997433
christ. is anything from schwalbe, vittoria or any other euro brand a more reasonable price at least? there are comparable options to the gk, 45mm though, i dunno.
>>
>>1997435
I don't ride fat bike tires so I can't tell you on the 45mm but veloflex should be a really good deal if you can get local prices, those go up to 32mm now which should be enough for anyone
>>
>>1997433
There is like a dozen of decent 45mm tires you can choose from that aren't overpriced meme tires that only americans buy. Just get riddlers or conti terra trail/speed
>>
>>1997242
>tan walls are everywhere
How do we stop the tan wall menace?
>>
>>1997457
Gatorskins with the sort of puke orange walls have been a thing since forever, it's just the exaggerated tanwall that's all the rage and it's all because tdf pros are all riding vittorias
>>
>gatorskin gets extremely extremely slow flat
>take out tube to investigate
>extremely tiny hole
>find the culprit
>once again, a very thin piece of metal, half the width of a staple, somehow pierced inside the tire
theres no way to even see or avoid this shit
>>
>>1997459
tubeless my man
>>
>>1997457
black(ed) edition gatorskins
man, what has the internet done to me.
>>1997459
If tubeless is less annoying... that will fix those issues. It's best at tiny pricks like that.
>>
>>1997443
>>1997435
>>1997374

Fuck, I double checked, I meant 40 mm, woops.

Should be easier right?
>>
>>1997496
sir, there are lots of 700c/29in tires in that range. It only gets hard if you are looking for 23c or smaller, and 29x2.75+ or larger tires.
With the advent of 29in mtb, and gravel 700cx40mm+ there has never been a better time for finding large tires in 700c/29.
>>
>>1997413
Just locate a 'public' pump. They can often be found at bike shops, repair cafes, townhall, universities, tourist points and so on.
Get a clincher tire and a tube, like everyone does. Your bike will go like stink. Get a patch kit or something. If the old tubes are shot you can cut patches from them. Still need naphta gel tho.
>>
>>1997510
are those real things or you're making fun of me? cause it sounds completely made up
>>
>>1997413
Foam tires are going to be more expensive than a track pump from Lidl and some cheap wired clinchers
It's not like they don't wear out also
>>
>>1997516
im desperate and poor enough to try diy them myself from cheap builder foam.
>>
>>1997510
>>1997516
what's some cheap ones I can get? germany
>>
>>1997600
see
>>1997333
>>
>>1997622
wit... are those the baloons or the outer sleeves
>>
>>1997407
schwalbe are fucking shit
every tire I've had from them makes me feel like I'm on ice with the littlest amount of wet on smooth tarmac
they also ride like shit and are probably the most expensive tires you can buy
they score poorly on rolling resistance tests too
but they have kooky names so redditors buy them
>>
>>1997407
you're not really gonna get anything grippier than a fancy gravel tire like a g-one, certainly not any hybrid tire (contact etc). I suspect if you found those to be slippy then you had the pressure way too high.
>>
>>1997623
>baloons or the outer sleeves
Wtf? Oh, do you mean "inner tubes" and "tires"?
>>
>>1997637
>Every tire

So one set?

>they also ride like shit and are probably the most expensive tires you can buy
This makes me know you've never cycled that much with them.

I've had quite a lot and they make pretty damn good tires at decent prices. I don't know how if you're based in the US, but in Europe, these are not that pricey.
>>
>>1997666
marathons 100% do ride like shit if you're tlakin gabout that then you're cope but they obviously also make nice tires
>>
>>1997666
Best place for tire deals here in the US are used, ebay, or whatever webstore ships here. CRC used to be good before they stopped shipping here and died.
Generally I find kenda's to be cheap(and decent) while conti's, schwalbe's, and maxxis are overpriced(imo).
Vittorias seem to go on sale, and some bontrager and specialized tires are actually good.

WTB used to be my favorite brand but they killed most of their 26 stuff, which I liked....
>>
>>1997660
yeah
>>
>>1997678
Okay look. Only to prevent you punishing yourself with some foam tires:
Check the tires currently on the bike. It will say the size somewhere on the side. Shit reads like 23-622 or 700x25C or 28x1,5 . Chances are the tire size that are on the bike will work well. Secondly assess the terrain you plan to go on, I suspect you'll stick to various road surfaces. Then get something like a Schwalbe Road Cruiser (I have a bike that came with them, after I had ridden them through I changed to Schwalbe Marathons but the Road Cruisers were absolutely fine) https://www.galaxus.de/de/s3/product/schwalbe-road-cruiser-plus-28-x-140-37-622-veloreifen-12708106 . They dont cost much, they roll decently, they will take you across unpaved surfaces most of the time, they last a decently long time.
>>
>>1997684
I should add: You need inner tubes if you don't have them on the bike or they are past fixing. Large gashes om a tube can not be fixed. Small holes and ruptures up to a pea size can.
>>
>>1997684
thanks. i hope that's price for a pair not for a single wheel
>>1997685
anon in the other thread recommended to search for some double thickness tubes, schwalbe ap, but they are like 13 euro per one sisingle one...
i dont have much income at all
>>
anyone recommend a fast and comfy 27 X 1/4 tire ?
>>
Best 700c x 32-35 tyres for 60-70% road, 30% gravel? I was thinking the panaracer GK SK but i heard they weren't that durable and the wheels I have are an actual pain in the ass to replace tires and tubes.
>>
>>1997724
pasela. not like there are really any other options...
>>1997728
gp5k /all season, challenge strada bianca, corsa pros. and i think the p zero race 4s is up there as far as puncture protection goes. If you are riding mostly on the road, just get a good road tire, but the aforementioned are all available in a 32-35mm.
>>
>>1997670
marathons corner like shit, that much is true, but the ride is fine for what it is - a hard-wearing commuting/loaded touring tire. just get a larger size and reduce the tire pressure and let the pneumatics do most of the work, as it should be.
>>
>>1997666
I've had Luganos, G-One and Pro-One tubulars
>>
>>1997759
I've had G-ones, Marathon plus and snow tires.

All were great. The Marathon plus really get a lot of unnecessary shit - I'm sure there are much better tires.

Speaking of which - recommendations? Something for asphalt / light gravel, for touring primarily.
>>
>>1997768
not schwalbe
they are shit

gravelkings are awesome for the money
they just came out with a new one
>>
>>1998013
I remember when I started lurking /n/ Continental were the hate object du jour.
>>
>>1998013
dude the new ones are like 70-80 dollars each. absolutely not worth it unless they are VASTLY improved from the 2023 models. there are much better tires you could buy for the same or similar price.
>>
>>1998059
people really buy tires that cost as much as a bike?
>>
>>1998256
rene herse are 100+ a tire.
BITD tubulars were expensive too.
>>
>>1998258
consumerism really is crack, isn't it
>>
>>1998261
It is when you're indoctrinated by capitalist propaganda in order to support the lie known as Gross Domestic Product.
>>
>>1998258
rene herse are patrician tier, nobody needs tyres that fast, comfy, lightweight and durable, but if you can afford it why would you settle for anything less?
>>
>>1998270
I have nothing against them, was just point out that they exist.
Still running experiments on how much I care about nice vs cheap road tires.
I know with mtb tires 50-60 dollar tires on sale are great for me, not too soft for me.
>>1998261
yeah
>>
>>1998256
considering that tires are the most important part of your bike, yeah.
>>
>>1998282
I kinda don't like this phrase, but if you want to experiment in the best way your bike can feel on the terrain you do it's kinda right.
Like taking a mtb and putting nice fat slicks on it for commuting.
Or putting good tires for your terrain on a mtb, or, or, or.
It's definitely the most valuable consumable.

IDK you aren't going to get a awesome road bike by putting specialized turbo cottons on a hybrid, but it sure would make it the best hybrid it could be for speed and comfort.
OTOH if you are flat city an want more durability a specialized all condition/armadillo might be enough.
sigh
>>
>>1998267
How is an indicator a 'lie' ? Indicators make no statement. As such they can not be lies.
>>
File: marathon.jpg (637 KB, 1079x1328)
637 KB
637 KB JPG
>>1997768
I cant help posting my marathon again.
Yes it was in the recommended pressure range and yes, just like that. It had no reason to go ballistic.
>>
>>1998298
My guess?
something slashed the shit out of your tire, then as you were riding the tube slowly expanded out and went kaboom.
>>
Thoughts on Schwalbe Hurricane Vs continental double fighter iii? I mainly ride paved roads but have the occasional patch of loose gravel or dirt that I want to be able to handle. These two seemed to pop out at me as the main two picks for that scenario when comparing prices locally

As an additional question, do the different Schwalbe protections make a noticeable difference? The hurricane is being sold in four different "protection" levels (race guard, race guard+DD, green guard+DD and nothing)
Would getting the GG+DD be worth the like 4€ extra per tire or is it mainly marketing
>>
>>1997728
>>1997735
+1 for challenge strada bianca pros. make sure you get the pro version. they go on sale on their site occasionally. my last set i paid 40$ each.

>>1998013
gks might be fine if you run tubeless (but who runs tubeless on a road bike?)
the ride is nice but the amount of punctures is not worth it.
>>
>>1998307
The compounds/protection levels do matter. Generally the more protection the less supple the tire, but the better it can withstand punctures/slashes/weight/wear. Weight is a good indicator of this, with more protective tires weighing more at the same size. Of course you only really learn what you need, when you experiment, but I don't hear many people say "man I wished I got the cheaper tire". Especially if you are talking 4 euros per tire. Expensive tires to me are 80+USD/ 70euros.

Just at a glance the schwalbes look better for road, and the double fighter 3's look a little better for offroad. I woudl go schwalbe in this case
>>
>>1998296
Because GDP doesn't represent a country's standard of living just its economic output. What that translates to in modern economic policy is growth at all costs. The economy has recently hit an all time high by the metrics of numbers but why does it still feel like everyone is broke with a reducing quality of living? Inflation, bigger numbers, less purchasing power, growth at all costs, to support the GDP go up, economy "good" narrative, but it's all bullshit
>>
>>1998314
nice bike tires
>>
>>1998314
Who claims stupid shit like this ? Like a strict correlation between GDP and 'standard of living' let alone satisfaction with life ?
Obviously claiming 'standard of living is strictly tied to GDP' would be a lie. But that doesnt make 'GDP a lie'.
>>
File: EDW1cHq[1].jpg (195 KB, 1280x960)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
>>1998312
>The compounds/protection levels do matter. Generally the more protection the less supple the tire, but the better it can withstand punctures/slashes/weight/wear. Weight is a good indicator of this, with more protective tires weighing more at the same size.
I knew this was the case for different tires, but I wasn't so certain about the same tire in different versions, but I just checked & the weight of the "nothing" 29x2.00 is 650g and the DD+GreenGuard is 855, so that's a very substantial difference.
I guess I won't cheap out and just get the GreenGuard+DD version since I value durability over speed anyway.
>Just at a glance the schwalbes look better for road, and the double fighter 3's look a little better for offroad.
Is it because the double fighters have some slight knobs closer to the center? The side knobs seem more severe on the hurricane but I wasn't sure how much those actually help. I'm very new to all of this since I've basically always ran the stock tires that came with my bike, which in both cases were mtb treads

Thanks anon
>>
>>1998331
>Is it because the double fighters have some slight knobs closer to the center? The side knobs seem more severe on the hurricane but I wasn't sure how much those actually help
Yup
The severe side knobs on the hurricane are better for soft soil, mud, or snow BUT you have to get the tire leaned far enough over. Now that depends on the rider(how he turns) and how fast he goes. There is a chance the schwalbe's large side knobs make it worse on the road on hard cornering, but this is all speculation at this point.
Especially since even your rim matters at this point since it will change the tire's profile....

Either way you will be fine with either.
>>
>>1998321
You don't realize how many Americans are dumb enough to think higher GDP means better life
>>
>>1998295
>It's definitely the most valuable consumable
that is a better way to phrase it i think
>>
>>1997396
God I want to use 700x55mm, but sadly I still don't have a commuter that can fit that.
>>
>>1998308
>(but who runs tubeless on a road bike?
everyone?
>>
>>1998256
if you have ever used expensive high thread count tires you'd realize its the best area to spent a bunch of money
>>
>>1998423
That's a mtb tire.
Anything over a 1.5(37) is really a mtb tire and a rigid mtb(xc/old school xc) would do the trick.
>>1998524
Not me, and I would rather run sew-ups/tubulars.
>>1998525
yup
>>
>>1998525
yeah but if I'm gonna spend that much on a bike I could just ride the bus instead, or get a scooter
>>
>>1998560
but you're going to get 3-5k miles out of a tire anyway so you're only spending this what, once per year?
>>
>>1998560
You're thinking about it backwards. If you're gonna spend that much money on a scooter or bus fare you could just ride a nice bike.
>>
>>1998563
>>1998564
it just doesnt make sense to spend so much on a bike.
i dont think I could tell the difference anyway
>>
>>1998340
Well this guy >>1998267
suggested GDP was a lie and I simply stated >>1998296 that 'GDP' as such can not be a lie as 'GDP' is not a statement of any kind but a purely objective indicator.
(US, I presume) americans being dumb and believing in certain ridgid concepts surrounding the informative value of GDP, does not change anything about the nature of GDP.
>>
>>1998301
The tube slowly expanding out and kaboom part is correct. I felt it coming, it was quite noticeable but I didnt give a shit since I wasnt pushing hard and why would I bother saving the tire if it wont hold prefered pressure again.
The slashing part idk about, id didnt look like it aroudn the damaged area and I havent realised going over any such thing. The thread is quite thick and the structure holding the tube in is the ply. Whatever sliced it would have to go through all thread down to the ply, damage it but not penetrate any further puncturing the tube. I felt this was a quite odd one and I had many tires go in all sorts of fashion.
>>
>>1998267
oh yes, it's a huge lie. PPP magically lets you purchase imported cars and electronics. in short, it's a lie if you live like a peasant who only eats, drinks, shits and sleeps.
>>
I got a slash on ultra sports the first fucking ride I had. This piece of shit tires may grip well because they are soft but why the fuck would you want soft out of supposedly budget city tire? Fucking cheapest Kendas or zafiros would do so much better for city riding

Also they went up from like 15 euro to 20 in last month or so what gives? Garbage value
>>
>>1998582
Yeah it was just a guess.
>>1998607
I have an old set on the rear seems to be okay, but I am okay with fincci tires.......kek
I like kendas too.
>>
>>1998607
patchable or no? also i think if you understand that your city is littered with enough debris that you absolutely need a very puncture resistant tire why would you buy something that isn't exactly that? post a pic of the damage.
>>
>>1998607
Lmao, that was my experience with ultra sports too. Those tires taught me how to patch like a pro after only a few weeks lol but that got old quick. Grandsport Race is pretty much the same exact specs as the Ultra Sports but it has a nylon protection layer which handled courier duty really well. They also cost only a tiny bit more than the Ultra Sports
>>
>>1998256
>people really buy tires that cost as much as a bike?
how much do you think good tires cost? i get memeskins and theyre usually 50 usd each
>>
>>1998525
high tpi is placebo
>>
>>1998672
That depends, there's some tires with high tpi but stiff puncture protection so you get stiff, fast wearing tires, for speed and grip. Then there's low tpi tires made with a decent compount and nylon ply that are surprisingly supple with excellent grip but heavy as shit.

Then again, all tire metrics are kind of placebo, you adjust your speed, traction, and load demands through tire pressure while tire choice is more about "the right tool for the right job"
>>
>>1998670
could easily get a ridable 30yo bike for 50 bucks and drop 200 on corsa pros or rh tires. plenty of 90s mtb or old road bike shitters out there for cheap still. low end, of course, but still ridable.
>>
>>1998670
no more than 15 euro
>>
>>1998696
Even UltraSports cost more than that.
>>
>>1998696
fuck the tires I just bought were 15.20€ ea
am I a poser
>>
>>1998696
True.
t. turbo fred that spent 15,99€ on UltraSport 3s

>>1998731
Welcome to the club mate.
>>
My tires said 80psi and when I pumped it to 80psi it blew up so hard I got shell shocked and nearly shat my pants. Took me like 20 minutes to stop feeling hazy. Am I not supposed to do that? Are the tire Jews lying to me with their fancy wall writing?
Also I got the tire replaced and it had a cool white (reflective) wall but when I went back they didn't have anymore so now it's not matching and it really upsets my autism. I don't really know anything about bikes but I wanna get back on it. I just feel like 60psi makes for a lot resistance and I don't want to pump my tires wearing full motorcycle gear for safety.
>>
>>1998793
80 PSI isn't much it must be a really ballooney tire. From experience the sidewall rating is always very conservative and if anything a suggestion. The tires usually hold way more. Regardless, if it blew within the specification it was a faulty product and manufacturing error anyways.
I once received a tired that had a punctured sidewall from the factory. I pumped it and a peas sized blister of inner tube came through. I mailed the shop who sold it, included pictures, they replied that they would send me another inner tube and I should just try again, maybe more luck next time eh?
>>
>>1998796
Ok well might as well blow the other so I got an excuse to get another white wall tire. Need to invest in a cup, I'll post results if anything happens. Lady in the shop mentioned it could have been due to age/being under pumped for too long and I should've half pumped, ridden then pumped full.
>>
>>1998793
I run 120 PSI. You eventually learn to live with the lightly shat in pants.
>>
>>1998793
I guess I'm sticking to 30 psi
>>
>>1998800
Not sure how that makes sense, never heard that in my life. But if it says 80psi, then it's got to hold 80psi
>>
>>1998800
Just make sure it says 80 psi and understand you probably had a faulty tire. What she is saying is when you ride on a tire with low pressure it stresses the sidewall of the tire more and "possibly" that could cause an issue.
What I do is check at 20 psi increments around the tire in case you have a big cut/gash that isn't an issue at say 30 or 40 psi but is obvious at 70psi.
Beyond that I put the tire around a corner away from me when I am pressurizing it high for the first time.
>>1998804
This is 100% tire size dependent. Not only that there are rims that recommend you reduce tire pressure with larger tires since the hoop stress increases and I presume the rim manufacturers are worried about 2.0 tires at 80psi.
Beyond that more rubber and thicker casings require less pressure, and the reverse is true for road bikes or tubeless users.
>>
>>1998828
Been pumped many times before, but this time it sat around for a long time so maybe age got to it, I don't know. Pretty sure it's been >60psi before in its lifetime.
>>1998820
The tire woke up and chose violence just like the retard earlier today overtaking just before a hill. There's things in life you can't control like a tire PMSing.
Anyway, pumped the fucker up to 70psi and rode it through for 40 minutes, good so far. Bicycling is an absolute meme form of transportation and the deer (I hate those furry little homicidal fucks) reminded me of it by nearly knocking me off. I'm so going back to cycling. Cars are comfy and motorbikes are fun but this shit feels way more real. Thank you for the thread, anon.
>>
Did the tire actually tear or did it just pop off the rim? I've had tires blow up from being improperly mounted on the rim.
>>
>>1998793
Were using the right size tubes?
>>
>>1998793
What tire size do you have? Such high pressure makes only sense on the skinniest road tires (<23mm). If you tried running such pressure on wide tires you're a dumbass and you got what you deserve
>>
>>1998848
Btw what fucking size are your tires? 80psi is a recommended pressure for like 28mm tires.

Too true about cycling, just getting somewhere become fun now. On my town I cycle like 2 miles for beer and people think I'm insane
>>
>>1998956
>Such high pressure makes only sense on the skinniest road tires (<23mm)
>80psi / 5,5bar
Retard-sama...
>>
File: IMG_6491.jpg (1.84 MB, 1170x1545)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB JPG
I tried this bad boy last winter (front tire only) which was lots of fun. I think the use case is quite limited however, as normal gravel tires will have good enough traction in snow (not ice) if you don't to too fast
>>
>>1998972
This winter I crashed on ice maybe a cpuple of times, only 3 or 4 times idk.
But one day there was ice rain. I crashed 3 times just between two settlements. One of those events was unironically as I waved to another rider to get their attention and warn them of another patch of ice. I said fuck it and hung out in the next restaurant for a while.
Do you reckon studs would have made a difference ? I jever had studs and was wondering that day if they would have saved me. I had the AC- and CC- joint dislocation very recently so next winter I better not be crashing too much. So I want to be prepared.
>>
>>1998983
>Do you reckon studs would have made a difference ?
Yes.
>>
>>1998972
>good enough traction in snow (not ice)
If it's cold enough for snow it's cold enough for ice.
>>
>>1998972
>the use case is quite limited however
One of my friends had a bike with a set of hakkapeliitta's, and we took it out on the Allegheny
Very fun to stick the front wheel & throw your weight to whip the rear around
Couldn't do it without the studs

But for winter/icy roads, I still ride a fixed gear (w/ brakes ofc), because you can so easily feel when you break traction
Still leave your off-foot unclipped/not in a strap, so you can put it down if/when your front tire slides
>>
>>1998987
Thabks anon. Will get this year.
>>
>>1998956
Lmao KEK'd
>>1999015
I run a fixed most of winter and the crashfest I talked about in >>1998983
was exactly on the winter fixie. The only thing is with actual ice like it was on that day there is no feeling traction go like in slush and mud or shit, there is no time to react and nothing you can do. I was really amazed just how fast things went that day, on properly slick ice like you get when theres ice rain you realise something is up and already hit the ground at the same time.
>>
>>1998956
my 1.5/37mm tires have a max of 85
>>
>>1999022
Everyone's different.
A few years ago I was on a November group ride, we cut through a plaza, and they had these steel rectangle covers, inset in the pavement over the service/electric boxes.
I rode straight over one, smashed the front brake to lose traction. A six inch skid from the front, straight line from the rear (slippy bricks)... and recovered.

The guy behind me saw what happened, and was flustered--"why would you do that?!!"
"Oh, to see if I could pull out of it." ...I get that I'm a particular kind of person.

Every year, first snow, I host a "longest-skid" ride on the same hill, 9pm.
Other people have the chance, but so far top spot (not always me) has been a fixed gear rider. There's something to it.
>>
help a newfag out
>>1999264
>>1999266
>>
>>1999351
seems like you worked it out but schrader and presta are different. You almost certainly have a schrader valve on an old city bike. That's the regular car type one. It's thicker.

They aren't interchangeable. Most pumps can do both.
>>
>>1998992
not all ice and snow is the same, there's like hundreds of different variations and conditions that change how a tire grips in snow and cold and even ice, dry rough ice is surprisingly grippy while ice after an ice storm is slicker than glass. Snow that's hardened into ice is also surprisingly grippy, however slush refrozen into ruts is a handling challenge not so much a traction challenge. There's like a dozen of other snow conditions too
>>1999022
that's the kind of ice after an ice storm and the scariest kind is black ice
>>
>>1999352
thanks
>>
>>1997204
looks like a Magic Mary
>>
>>1999028
>the guy behind me
No wonder he was flustered, do that shit in your own time, not in a group ride anon
>>
File: s-l960ffsdfsfg.jpg (61 KB, 960x720)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>1997193
im tempted by these cos they look like fun
but i might just go with supermotos
whats better?
>>
File: s-l960xdfadfdf.jpg (64 KB, 960x960)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>1999564
supermotos look nice too but something about the fat franks looks like they would be really grippy in corners
>>
>>1997768
>Speaking of which - recommendations? Something for asphalt / light gravel, for touring primarily
Continental Contact Plus Reflex. They're like Schwalbe Marathon Plus but better and cost about the same. Very good puncture resistance and all-around thread pattern
>>
>>1999028
I don't think you understand what I was explaining here >>1999022 . I'm not talkung about limited traction, skids or whatever. I'm talking about a condition that I have so far only encountered on that particular day that was characterized by there being no traction for all intents and purposes. As in you crash, try to get up and find it's impossible to stand up on the camber of the road. That day people took falls walking, countless cagers had accidents and so on.
Aparently it was the combination of the ground being frozen and the percipitation being rain but very close to freezing. The effect you get is an instant layer of absolutely smooth ice covering everything.
And no it's not about individual differences or skill issues. There is no traction. You can not corner any vehicle in those conditions and single track vehicles will crash.
>>
whats a decent cheap (10-15€) tire for commuting? its been raining
>>
>>1999638
continental ride tour
>>
>>1999638
what size
>>1999642
those cost alot more than that dont they?
plus thats a narrow tyre its not for everyone
pls dont just mindlessly shill youre making me not want those tyres
>>
>>1999643
>those cost alot more than that dont they?
Wrong.
>plus thats a narrow tyre its not for everyone
Wrong.
>>
>>1999645
they used to be two for that price only three years ago. These are flat proof and comfortable, but also quite stiff, they don't like lower pressures and as a consequence are not as grippy as they seem. I would suggest them only for a super low budget...
>>
>>1999645
damn shits sheap in europe
god i hate living on hell island
>>
>>1999647
i think your better off getting shwalbes then lol
theyre much better budget options and the rubber is nice and grippy
>>
>>1999643
uh.... 40 622? is that right?
I'm the newfag >>1999351

>>1999645
damn they dont have my size
>>
also are decathlon tubes any good? i need cheap ones too.
>>
>>1999650
how much are they 4u?
>>
>>1999650
Idk why but tires are almost always on sale with online retailers. If it's an unpopular tire size like 23mm it's always heavily discounted.
>>
>>1999647
>but also quite stiff, they don't like lower pressures and as a consequence are not as grippy as they seem
on the other hand they also don't wear out and they >just werk
>>
>>1999652
yes
40 is the width in mm
622 is the wheel diameter in mm also called 700c or 29 inch
just have a look online for 700c tyres and find some that are cheap with a nice tread
>>1999653
probably not good but fine
>>1999655
£22 to £40 per tyre
not bad actually most tyres here are £30 per tyre
>>1999656
weirb
>>
>>1999668
>weirb
It really do be wierd. Gets the ol' gnoggin joggin' to what might be the reason behind it.
>>
>>1999668
so I can potentially put wider that 40 but still 622 diameter wheels? or will they not fit
>>
>>1999713
just look how much room there is between your tyres and frame especially the rear wheel and decide for yourself if theres room to go wider
40 is narrow so you probably can but without seeing your bike i cant say rly
as long as theyre 622mm / 700c / 29inch (these are just different names for the same size) they will fit the rim
>>
>>1999651
which ones
>>
File: IMG_20240527_145621.jpg (116 KB, 1080x1301)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
can this be used as rim tape? acturl rim tape is too expensive
>>
>>1997193
Continental GP 5000 S TR

Tubeless is such a sweet upgrade.
>>
>>1999752
If you are already sweating to buy some proper rim tape (schwalbe is the best for my experience) just stick to clinchers.
>>
>>1999752
If actual rim tape is too expensive, you can get by using other tapes you might already have like electrical tape
>>
>>1999752
I wouldn't use it for toobless but just for legacy wheels? Sure why not, you're going to flat all the time anyway so it doesn't matter
>>
>>1999752
It will kind of work, but it will fall apart a lot faster.
Don't actually tape it to the rim with the sticky side, tape two sections together so that the non-sticky side of both sections is facing outwards.
Unless you're talking about tubeless in which case it will absolutely not work.
With that in mind, rim tape is like 10-15$ how fucking poor are you.
>>
>>1999754
i dont know what that is

>>1999756
dont have anything, cant find where to buy

>>1999772
why I'm going to flat?

>>1999773
I'm a refugee. i have only gibs 500e per month
>>
>>1999774
refugeeanon i'll be honest you'are starting to get on my nerves. either you have really lived some traumatic shit that made you so helpless and whiny or this fucking system made you so, just get a grip and stop trailing around here with stupid questions and start researching stuff by yourself. fcin unbelievable "I only get this much per month on top of free housing and meals"
if you're trolling well played but still get out of here.
>>
>>1999781
counterpoint: he's upsetting you so he's good in my book. if we lived nearby I'd offer to give him money myself but I'm not sending money to a stranger on the internet
>>
>>1999781
well I just got out of a country at war, but fair enough.
i dont think best for cheap is a bad question. l though. no reason to overpay, and I thought if anyone would be into diy and cheap stuff is people with bikes, cause why else would you bike if not to save money on transport
>>
>>1999783
well its also fun, and healthy, but still
>>
>>1999781
What's this thread for if not for questions and discussion?
>>
>>1999774
>>1999781
>>1999785
irritated anon is right tho, refugeeanon is being retarded intentfully and wants to be spoonfed answers. I personally don't mind simple questions but refugeeanon seems to completely lack any kind of common sense to answer their own basic questions. If they tried more and asked less, maybe they'd be smarter, idk, people are so scared of being "wrong" that they'd rather be stupid. Electric tape works, duct tape works, rim tape works, shit I bet you I can make my own alternative with glue and cotton if I was that desperate, fucking hell if that's too expensive, then roll up tiny paper balls and shove it into each spoke hole.

Anon is intentionally being retarded.
>>
Need new tires. Old 47c are cracked and uneven. I accidentally ordered 32c. Was it very not smart?
>>
>>1999788
i'm just in a different country where I don't know how anything works or where anything is, this is my first bike experience and I dont know anything about it either, I tried researching but there is no substitute for experience and I trust anons here more than I trust random google results or reddit.
i did manage to find rim tape for 5e and get a decathlon tube so I'll see how it works out.
the bike is pretty old. I'll post a picture sometime.
I'm not intentionally being retarded I'm just really tired, sorry if it was annoying.
>>
>>1999792
you trust anonymous people on this shithole website over established people just because its reddit lol
>>
>>1999793
I too would trust the rare anonymous expert here over the divas and hive mind of reddit and forums...
>>
>>1999793
ive been here almost 20 years, it grew on me.
reddit is alright for some things, but not questions like that and cheap discussion. and ive seen cheap discussion here when I was lurking g.
>>
File: 61IiRhosuzL[1].jpg (101 KB, 2560x1126)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
I have gator skin tires and this tool is the only reason why I'm able to change the tubes and tire myself. I'm sure I'll get called a weak pathetic faggot for needing to use a bead jack but I am unable to get that last 6-8 inches onto the rim without it. And when I had to go to a bike shop for a flat repair a number of years ago because I didn't have my stuff with me and I saw them using this as well I stopped giving a shit.
>>
>>1999797
it's not a strength thing you just don't know how to use the center channel
>>
File: IMG_20240527_183337.jpg (1.6 MB, 3840x2160)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB JPG
>>1998607
>>1998634
it's patched with vulcanizing goo
>>
>>1999797
I use levers and can do most tires. Have chunked some mtb beads before, and a tube or two.
Recently was swapping tiers on a bike with 2 different rims. One was quite a bit larger then the other. Found out when the tire that was on the large rim fit easily on the narrow, and the tire going on the large rim was a stubborn one. Same width, just large diameter rim.
>>1999789
It's fine. Make sure you run enough pressure in them since 32's are quite a bit smaller. You may, and should feel a little faster, but have worse bump absorption. 32's are what the current road racing pros use.
>>
>>1999789
Pretty big change, if I was looking for 47 and got 32 id return it for sure. That being said 32 is a good size.
>>
>>1999750
just look at what ones are cheap on your stuff buying site of choice
just pick the ones that look like the kind of tread and size you want
>>
>>1999754
is real rim tape rly any different to electrical tape?
>>
>>2000151
Yes. Cloth tape is thicker and even the plastic stuff is thinner.
Oh, and probably less cleanup.
>>
>>2000153
oh its cloth
i didnt even know that lol
>>
>>2000151
one major difference is electrical tape will be a cunt of a job to clean off even after 1 year.
I use it sometimes but you're vandalising the bike for whoever next shows it some care.
>>
>>2000210
noted
>>
>>1997204
i dont know but i want it
would be very slow rolling resistance wise but the traction in mud or anything rly would be crazy
>>
>>1997242
i will never give up 26
>>
>>1997246
i had a 29er too
its fast but not worth it
i find 27.5 too big too though and i ride rigid
>>
>>1997247
hehe
>>
>>1997237
this is the most retarded logic ive ever read
>>
>>1997386
interesting bike
>>
>>1997407
>>1997408
im very interested in these tyres
i like the idea of a semi slick where theres a smooth bit in the middle for riding on hard surfaces and then tread for leaning or riding at a low pressure or through soft terrain
>>
>>1997386
>balkan
>BMW bike
C'mon man
>>
File: hurricane vs supermoto.png (685 KB, 882x685)
685 KB
685 KB PNG
>>1997193
hurricane 26x2.1
super moto x 26x2.4
both have reflective sidewalls and cost about the same
i cant decide though the motos are wider which i like and probably have more grip all round but the hurricanes are probably lower rolling resistance
>>
>>2000370
Aren't the motos super heavy? I doubt they are a very fast tire but probably last forever considering the weight, maybe good for e-bike.
>>
>>2000371
i normally dont really think about weight for road riding
>>
File: 145000-00-d-252590[1].jpg (125 KB, 1024x1024)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>2000334
I was considering the hurricane too but ended up going with the Double Fighter III instead, haven't put them on yet since I was waiting for aliexpress shit to also work on chain but they look good
>>
>>2000375
i have a pair of those i got with a bike and put on my gfs bike
they seem to roll ok but they dont feel very grippy
>>
>>1997728
Casual riding or some racing?
Before I swapped to a 29er for bike touring I almost exclusively used Continental RideTours on my commuter/tourer/gravel bike
>>
>>1998972
>spikes on front wheel only

why
You put the spikes on your back wheel so you don't slip out on ice when applying power. Since the front wheel doesn't have any drive it doesn't need nearly as much traction.
The only reason I can think of is maybe you ride really fast in winter and need the extra stopping confidence.
>>
>>2000514
On a bike, loss of front traction usually means game over and the bike is going to fall. Sliding the back is controllable to an extent, the front isn't.
>>
>>2000470
Well fuck, I got them because I expected them to be more grippy than the hurricanes but roll worse lmao
>>
My gravel bike came with Panaracer Gravelking Sk+ TLC 700x43C. I mostly ride on the road and a little on gravel and outside of the road, what tires would be a beter choice if I want a smoother experience and need less energy to get faster
>>
>>2001143
Try gravelking slicks in 38mm, they're pretty quick.
>>
>>2001143
My CX bike is on 32mm Schwalbe Duranos. I mostly ride road but since I have a really nice bike path almost directly next to my home which is mostly light gravel I ride it a lot as well. Honestly the are perfectly adequate for that. The only time you notice you're on road oriented tires is the rare muddy patch which you will still clear. Grabbel tires are a (mostly) meme.
>>
>>2001143
most road focused tires would be a little faster.
>>
>>2001143
You should look at the wheels first, you can certainly go much smaller on the tires for "mostly road" (I run 700x32 which I just found out is exclusive for pro team roadies but somehow I found this secret life hack). But if your rims are too wide, then it might not be safe to go that small even though the bike will feel considerably less sluggish.
>>
>>2001172
pro team roadies run anywhere from 28's to 32's.
I am just happy 30mm tires are a size since some of my bikes can't fit 32's, but I bet they can fit 30's.
>>
>>2001143
32 gp5k or equivelant high spec road tire.
>>
>>2001149
>>2001151
>>2001171
>>2001172
>>2001182
Thanks for the input. Follow up question, road bikes have different wheels compared to gravel bikes, would it be wiser to buy new wheels and tires?
>>
>>2001230
this is bait right?
just buy a whole ass new bike at that point
>>
>>2001231
I'm sorry. I'm new to this just wanted to know
>>
>>2001230
I'm assuming you have a gravel bike because of your original question.
Getting a road specific wheel set will get you only fairly marginal gains in terms of performance. It
will however set you back a couple hundred dollars minimum if you want a decent one.
Not worth it if you're new to cycling and aren't an oil baron. Get some nice wide road tires. It will make a
bigger difference than the wheels and will be cheaper. You can still obviously change the wheels later down the line.
>>
>>2001230
just look for "allroad" wheels which occupy a nice middle ground. most bikes under $5k come with bad wheels, so unless your frame is really terrible, good wheels are going to improve your ride more than switching to another bike with shitty wheels
>>
>>2001230
Look at decent wheels and tires you can find used, or on sale.
Good wheels are worth it. Whether it's the nicer hub engagement/sound/smoothness, or the cool looks, or just the lighter weight.
However I wouldn't do it unless you are racing, or find a great deal and have some money burning a hole in your pocket.
>>
if I got 700 x 38c, I can put wider or narrower tyres on it, right?
are there any recommended tyres and width for good city travel, mostly road, and somelight gravel dirt kind of paths in city parks. but it also rains often and though I havent had trouble I'm afraid of eating shit.
also comfort > safety > speed.
the cheaper the better, bike is very old.
>>
>>2001354
Comfort comes from suppleness, thin fragile sidewalls, no puncture protection, lightweight, and obviously volume. It usually aligns with high cost, low durability, grip (safety), and speed.

A fast road tire like gp5k is the most comfortable thing in its own size, then you want fancy gravel tires, then fancy XC tires, and they're all including road tires great for riding chill dirt/gravel and in the wet and will usually have excellent grip if they're expensive tires.

I suggest you lurk facebook marketplace groups for some boomer selling expensive meme tires at 1/2 (if unused) price, or almost zero $ if they're used.

As for will they fit it's been discussed to death i hope we don't get a lot of spoonfeeding you again.
>>
>>2001357
did not know that. thought comfort would come from thickness. i dont want to give up durability and puncture protection. and cost. I'll look around.

could you throw me some keywords to find the fit discussion?
>>
>>2001359
nta but the "supple" thing is a meme, you're going to get a softer ride with bigger tires than anon's TPI memery
>>
File: inner rim width.jpg (12 KB, 395x300)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>2001359
take off your tire and measure your inner rim width. Then you can look up charts for tire width or ask a specific question for a good discussion.

>>2001359
>comfort would come from thickness
nope, and the least comfortable tire of all is the solid one with all rubber.
Air volume, yes, absolutely, but that's not thickness. So you can comfortmax by just getting the biggest tire possible and running it low pressure.

>cheap
>durable
comfortable & good grip are opposite qualities.
>>
>>2001361
Volume / low pressure is the most important thing, yeah, but for any size of tire, the expensive light supple meme one will be comfier, and it's not comfy dragging a boat anchor up a hill, it's way more effort to get anywhere.
>>
>>2001366
by thickness I meant width.

so good grip comes from what, high pressure?
>>
>>2001370
>so good grip comes from what, high pressure?
expensive rubber compounds.
It's basically tires that are designed to be ridden fast down hills and for climbing, ie, high spec road, gravel, and mtb tires.

Also -low pressure- gives better grip in tires, you run car tires on the road at ~32 psi but you can get out of mud/sand better at 15. Same with a tire. It's recommended to drop your psi a little in the wet to get better grip on a bicycle.

Although bike tires will roll akwardly in corners if the pressure is too low, and they can get pinch flats from impacts if they're tubed.
The important thing is having a good pump.
>>
when you go to the bike store for an inner tube do you ask "I'm looking for a 700 x (as in the letter" 38C tube" or do you say "700 by 38C tube"? or do you use the inches system
>>
>>2001423
metric
>>
>>2001423
the C belongs to the 700
700c is the name of the wheel size

There was also a 700a, 700b, and 700d, but those sizes are now obsolete.

So don't say '38c'
the 38 is the width of the tire, it's a measurement in mm. Say 700c and 38mm wide.
When it's written like: 700 38c, that's just an awkward notation.
>>
>>2001249
i hate being a cyclist so much because it means i have something in common with shameful people like you
>>
>>2001375
they dont have to be expensive compounds just not nylon crap
the compound and tread are the most important things by far though
>>
>>2001465
maybe you should get a job so you don't have to seethe at people who don't ride BSOs from walmart
>>
>>2001470
kill yourself dude you can buy a nicer bike for cheaper second hand like a sane person
if you arent a competing racer youre genuinely retarded for spending that much on a modern garbage bike
stop encouraging the bike industry to be shit
>>
>>2001478
so buy a used bike, you should be glad someone bought the non-BSO and put some scratches on it so you could have a non-BSO of your own later? what are you so mad about anyway, where's this coming from?
>>
>>2001481
wtf does bso mean?
im mad because fuckers like you keep paying exponentially more money for worse bikes meaning even the second hand market is now full of overpriced garbage too
i seriously dont understand how anyone can justify this
>>
>>2001629
BSO = bicycle shaped object
There's a class of bikes that are so low quality, they resemble a bike in shape but any "real" biker wouldn't call them a "real" bike. The problem with the term is where the line is drawn, it is a subjective metric more than an objective one but the distinction is real. Buying a garbage tier bike is a really bad decision for a lot of reasons, most importantly, the dangers of malfunctions while moving at speed could lead to serious injury or death.
>>
>>2001143
GP5k all season
>>
>>2001645
i see
walmart isnt a thing in the uk so i assume you mean like apollo and carrera tier bikes?
like heavy as fuck misaligned overpried and covered in plastic crap
oh wait thats bikes that cost 10x more too...
i miss when there was an inbetween
i swear bikes just got shit regardless of how much you overpay after like 2010

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.