[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_0074.jpg (61 KB, 311x414)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
So I’ve been looking for a car and it’s been pretty rough finding something affordable. I wanted to know what my best option is for getting to work on the day the buses don’t run. The trip is about 9 miles, I was thinking something like a e-scooter or similar
>>
>>2003546
what terrain, path grade and road culture are you operating within?
>>
>>2003546
Buy a bike. A real bike is an option for 9 miles. An ebike if you're a p*y or live in a hilly area. An escooter is worth it if you want to combine it with public transportation, or live/work in a place where you can't lock even a cheap bike
>>
I think I'd rather pedal a bike than stand on a plank for 9 miles.
9 miles by bicycle is not a problem. 9 miles through city traffic early in the morning when you just rolled out of bed and have places to be, and then again in the evening when you're tired and hungry and just want to get home, doesn't sound great.

For reference my daily bicycle commute is 3 miles and I feel that's a comfortable distance. And I live in a relatively bike-friendly place where 90% of my commute is on bike paths separated from cars.
>>
>>2003557
Good question, I was looking at the bike route that google suggest and it’s seems a good portion of it is just backroads that’s not even separated by cars
>>2003560
I wouldn’t mind a bike but itd most likely have to be an e-bike only because I’m just above weight limits for most bikes
>>2003638
That’s a good point, this town isn’t too bike friendly, the route mainly consists of sidewalk and backroads
>>
What is going on with all the people in the last few weeks posting wat bike is good and it turns out they weigh 350 pounds and need a special double tube frame, 64-spoke wheels, and 4-inch tires? Is it all one person?

Anyway e-scooters are much less standardized or scrutinized than bicycles, if there's no published weight limit or the weight limit is markedly higher than a mass production commuter bike, then that weight limit is probably not well thought out or tested.

If you're really that heavy, get an overbuilt gaspipe shitter like a Surly that can take 700x42s, and run them with inner tubes towards the higher end of the max pressure. Make sure the tires are slick because you'll want to minimize pedaling effort until you're in better physical condition.
>>
>>2003663
Body positivity has ran it course with the kids and fat acceptance is now looked down on because the core ideology of it is unhealthy, undesireable, and the community is full of toxic positivity. On the plus side, I've recently seen more 300lb looking people on bikes than before trying to better themselves and that's inherently a good thing but most bikes weren't designed with that kind of load in mind.
>>
>>2003662
>have to be an e-bike only because I’m just above weight limits for most bikes
Do they really build e-bikes stronger than push bikes?
>>
>>2003663
I don’t know much about bikes but I can see surly is fairly expensive, I guess I would have to get something like a 90’s MTB for something cheap that could support me
>>2003691
I would figure since there’s little to no pedaling
>>
>>2003712
>I would figure since there’s little to no pedaling
I would figure they just use most of the same parts they have lying around for regular bikes.
>>
9 miles you absolutely want something more than a scooter, e or otherwise. A normal bike would do fine, but maybe a little slow, will take you 45m-1hr. e-bike is a very good idea if you can afford it. It will also mean you're less sweaty getting to your destination, but even with an e-bike in the summer I would bring a change of clothes or at least a new shirt.
>>
>>2003712
Weren't you looking for cars? Even if you got a brand new surly and replaced everything on it with dura chad and chris bling you'd still have spent less than the minimum to get a reliable non-deathtrap car
>>
>>2003546
Why do people use these things? An e-bike is better in every way. I tried to talk this woman at a shop out of buying one saying they were totally illegal unlike e-bikes where she could at least pretend to be legal, if she hits any pothole it's game over and she can't carry shit on it but she wouldn't be swayed saying she "has no space" well get a folding bike.
>>
>>2003823
The whole premise of the thread is that OP can't afford a car.
>>
>>2003662
The weight limit is not a hard limit unless you buy carbon, but your first bike would be aluminum (the most common and cheapest option). Buy an ebike if you need to (get into it slowly so that you start to exercise, and not drop the bike after 2 miles), but still it would be far more versatile than the scooter would.
>>
Why are motorbikes/ vespa style scooters never recommended on /n/? I can kind of get motorbikes because they're often not much cheaper than a car and there's a learning curve but scooters are very good and, while more expensive than an e-bike, are probably going to last longer and don't get stolen nearly as much if at all.
A scooter (vespa style not a hand one) would be pretty ideal for this situation.
>>
File: murray.jpg (189 KB, 768x1024)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
Riding a bike to work was the best thing I ever did for myself. My commute is 9 miles round trip and mostly flat, though. 18 miles is within reason, but would be pretty tough the first month. Your body adapts quickly. I do 50 mile rides for fun on the weekends now. I think an e-bike would be great for you, OP. I don't think a scooter makes sense for that kind of distance.

I have an expensive high-end 80s road bike I restored, a modern steel fixie, a 90s mtb I restored and turned into an upright commuter, and a few euro 3-speeds, but the one I end up riding most often is the piece of shit 80s beach cruiser I bought for $10. I just wanted to take the fenders and rear basket off it and throw it the frame away, but I ended up klunkerizing it with some parts I had laying around. I wouldn't go spending a lot of money on a bike, especially if you're trying to save up for a car.
>>
File: klunker.jpg (353 KB, 971x1280)
353 KB
353 KB JPG
>>2003979
You'll want fenders and rain gear for when it's raining or there's water or snow on the roads, by the way. Also a way to carry a change of clothes,, because you'll get sweaty and need to change into work clothes. A gym membership at the gym nearest to your work is a good way to be able to quickly shower and change for work, but a gas station bathroom is fine, too.
>>
>>2003662
>I’m just above weight limits for most bikes
How fucking heavy are you?

I see obese people cycling on cheap bikes all the time. A google search seems to suggest that most bikes are rated for people up to 250-300lbs.

I could see this maybe being an issue on carbon bikes, super lightweight road bikes or maybe mountain bikes with suspension that is set for specific weight range.

Really your biggest risk is that you break the axle on a wheel, but that shouldn't be much of an issue if you get a bike with half decent wheels and a freehub rather than a freewheel and that you don't smash your bike around like a retard.
>>
>>2003807
I actually can wear street clothes to work so it’s not too much of a problem, I have a nice backpack so I can always carry a change of clothes during summer
>>2003988
I’m in the 310 range
>>
>>2003979
>>2003980
for some reason I thought I was on DIY when I posted this lol, since I'm on /n/ I just want to add that scooters are gay

>>2004433
Enjoy getting 50-60% of the stated range on the scooter you buy
>>
>>2004440
>Enjoy getting 50-60% of the stated range on the scooter you buy
About all the e-scooter given range are for a 65Kg guy on a flat road and eco mode, if you plan to ride an e-scooter at full speed and you're 85Kg then divide the range by two. If you're 310 lbs forget it or buy a very big one and at this stage is better to buy a Vespa like scooter electric or gas.
>>
>>2004826
I forgot to mention that you can increase the range to about 40% with a good battery with Samsung cells (3500mAh) because all the chink e-scooter come with chink battery with really poor quality cells (around 2000 mAh).
>>
Maybe look intoo electric tandems, they're built for two, so no problem on the weight side, and as they're longer you have more room for storage.
Plus, consider the weird factor: drivers can get irrational about cyclists, but if you are riding a wierd contraption they might be to confused or intrigued by the novelty to care.

additional as you become fitter, you can invite people on rides.

con. is obviously the price, but then you could diy an ebike.
>>
>>2004828
all escooters are chink. the difference is high quality chink vs low quality. if you get something like the VDM 10, anything from apollo or dualtron, they will either have default or an option for an LG/samsung battery. and the higher end ones have dual suspension and 10-11 inch tires, an ebike is still way more practical but the escooters are way faster and more powerful per dollar. and the range isn't AS good as advertised obviously but on my 48v battery scooter with dual 1000w I was able to go 36km (18x2) though I did charge it while at work since I was able to and it loses power at lower volts.
>>
>>2005111
dumbest poster on n
>>
File: Capturess.png (947 KB, 1348x725)
947 KB
947 KB PNG
saw this huffy in my local Craigslist for $50, thoughts?
>>
>>2005752
bought a very similar age of MTB, looks fine desu but check the tires, wheels and especially the drivetrain, mine snapped a bolt and bent a large gear making it pretty much unusable after a month of riding, make sure the bolts are all secure and it shifts well unless you are planning to replace it .
>>
>>2003546
Mountain bike, replace knobby tires with road/dirt road tires. Rigid or hardtail.

Don't get walmart shit.

Ebike is also a possibility, but there's a LOT of fucking crap out there.

>>2005752
FUCK no. That's a BSO.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.