[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: rain-beater.jpg (559 KB, 2000x1333)
559 KB
559 KB JPG
Do you keep a dedicated cheap "rain bike" to neglect and abuse for wet and winter weather riding?
>>
no wtf if it was raining i'd make sure it has the proper equipment and tires to handle it
>>
No, that isn't abuse it's just use. If you can't afford to ride it, you can't afford to own it. It's why I don't go above 105 on my components and I've shied away from getting an expensive custom frame. Not that the frame would be harmed by water but I mean crashes and stuff like that happen too. I don't want to fear my stuff or let it own me.
>>
Yeah I got an old XC mtb with rust here and there and absolutely fucked front fork that I suspect got full of rain but I'm too dumb to drain and service it. Its heavy as shit and its designated girlfriend bike on a super rare occasion she decides to ride with me.
>>
>>2003999
I always give the nice bike to the non-cyclist when I do those rides, gives me less reason to be concerned that there's a serious mechanical problem that they don't notice and less excuse to bitch and moan about the pace
>>
It doesn't rain here much, but if it is I will take either one of the mtb's or a specific mtb that is geared fr commuting.
>>
>>2004000
Non-cyclists will always bitch and moan about the pace.
Also the seat on that old bike is more comfortable for her, and it doesn't have a QR so its kind of multiple reasons.

Non cyclists tend to go full grug on the cranks while shifting so thats also another reasons why I keep the good stuff for myself
>>
>>2003998
>If you can't afford to ride it, you can't afford to own it.

that doesn't even make sense lol
>>
my nice bikes stay in the shed, my beater bike just leans against the back of my house and lives in the rain. i don't want my good shit to rust, and i don't feel like cleaning and lubing things after they get wet.
>>
Yeah, except it's also my snow bike, and my only bike.
>>
i neglect all of bikes but one has mudguards so yes i guess so
>>
>>2004018
what kinda shed? I've been looking for some solutions to park my nicer bikes in
>>
>>2003970
Got a winter fixie and a rainy dail ally bike.
But its overkill. Take precaution and do the maintenance and any bike will last.
>>
I have a daily rider, a fatbike for winter, and a summer bike that I only ride on dry sunny days. Out of them the summer bike is probably the cheapest, but also the most difficult to replace, and I try not to neglect any of them.
>>
File: shed.jpg (351 KB, 1835x1194)
351 KB
351 KB JPG
>>2004047
pre-fab that i got for cheap at a gov surplus auction years ago
>>
Absolutely not, I just clean and maintain my bicycle.
>>
>>2003970
I actually bought a Fuji Feather with a flip-flop rear hub and put fenders on it for wet weather riding since my road bike really isn't compatible with wet weather, it's got an aero frame and the rear wheel cutout would get clogged up with mud very easily.
>>
File: rain resistor.jpg (328 KB, 1595x1002)
328 KB
328 KB JPG
I have a rain bike, living in the UK it's an absolute must.

It's a nice bike, certainly not a cheap beater, it's a custom built lugged rohloff hubbed masterpiece from the 90s, I don't abuse it, store it in the dry, regularly service it, the only thing that sets it apart from my other bikes is it has mudguards fitted. I hate mudguards, I hate fitting them, I hate unfitting them and I hate they way they destroy the aesthetics of a bike.

But they work, and when it's pissing it down it's nice to have a bike that is ready to go.
>>
>>2004736
if the rolhoff only has one cog for the chain, why does it need a chain tensioner?
>>
>>2004761
Chain tensioners are not needed on IGH, SS (or FG). But they take up the slack that develops as the chain lengthens. Effectively reducing maintainance.
Also there is no such thing as zero production tolerance. This is why you can not have optimal chain tension throughout a complete cycle of the drivetrain.
>>
>>2004763
ah, I should have guessed the answer was autism.
>>
Who doesn't have a beater? I don't want to have to wipe down and relube everything when it rains. n might actually be retarded.
>>
>>2005145
i literally only have one bike that i use, my aluminum road bike that's nearly 20 years old now. however, my point of view is skewed by the fact that i reside on the top of a massive hill so a beater crap bike is not really doable for me. i once tried using my father's old mountain bike from the 1980s here, and i could barely even start getting up the hill before i had to get off and walk because the gears just went nowhere fast.

if i only had to deal with a flat route, and not have to bike a decent distance, i would absolutely use a beater bike though. one that i could lock up outside
>>
>>2003998
based
>>2003970
It's called a "beater" and no I don't, I just ride whatever bike I want whenever I want and if the chain gets rusty or whatever okay I fix it
>>
>>2003999
>front fork
As opposed to rear fork?
>>2004023
based
>>
>>2005145
>doesn't lube his bike when it needs it
Anon, you might be the retarded one.
>>
>>2004764
kek
>>
>>2005154
I bet you boil your chains once a week
>>
>>2005147
>thinks a beater means inoperable

lol
>>
>>2005351
nta but what's wrong with that?
>>
Rain/snow bike - check. Abuse - check.
Cheap? Neglect? No, it is a money pit and I have to keep it running in order to get to work.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.