[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why aren't concrete roads more common?
>>
and concrete streets
>>
Cost.
Pretty sure concrete roads/streets/freeways are on a magnitude of cost per sq ft(or meter) higher.
Over here in my "golden" state we have many concrete freeways. I think they are more durable against high traffic and snow issues.

Asphalt is smoother too when done well(rare). My vote is deportation of illegals since that will cut the traffic down a ton. Then less consumerism for shitty cheap products which would cut down on chinese goods, thus reducing truck flow again.

Won't happen., so we will still have progressively worse roads to drive.
Bike trails don't have this issue. I find tree roots are the worst thing that damages them.
>>
>>2005095
They're relatively common in cities where I live and visited
>>
>>2005095
Cost more to lay down and they're more expensive to fix
>>
>>2005095
because asphalt fucking sucks and falls apart after 1 week giving work to all the worthless state road crews that take 1 week to fix a small hole with 30 dudes all getting paid 50 bucks an hour
>>
>>2005095
problematic nazi heritage
>>
>>2005108
Concrete sucks. Noising and extremly ba-bump -ba-bump uneven after 10 years then it take forever to replace. Asphalt is amazing for 8 years tolerable for 8 years and takes a week to replace. Trucks ruin roads. Asphalt road with no truck allowed last forever
>>
>>2005269
The freeways in my state are raked inline with travel, so on a motorcycle with older tires with inline lines your bike "weaves" gently as you go straight.
Not a big deal but another downside.
Would be bad on a bicycle, but those paths are asphalt near me, or smooth sidewalks.
>>
I hate it when road crews patch concrete potholes with asphalt

But they do a shitty job patching asphalt roads too
>>
Concrete works best in warm climates where you don't have frost heave. Concrete is harder to patch since you have to cut out a section, fill it, then let it cure. On top of the frost issue here we have expansive clay causing expansion and shrinkage of the sub-base.
>>
>>2005300
>On top of the frost issue here we have expansive clay causing expansion and shrinkage of the sub-base.
cement treated earth can help cope with this issue.
It would just suck ass to do on a roadway.
Expansive clay is pretty crazy if you just have an asphalt base for your sitework.
Shit grows like mad when it's wet.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.