[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Are there any examples of 21st century steam locomotives? Not preserved historical steam engines made in the 19/20th century but original 21st century steam engines.

It doesn't matter if it's standard gauge or minimum gauge.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Peppercorn_Class_A1_60163_Tornado
>>
File: LEVIATHANNorthCen20004.jpg (171 KB, 1000x750)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
Central Pacific #63 aka The Leviathan, a replica of the locomotive of the same name that was present at the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad at Promontory Point, Utah alongside the Jupiter, completed in 2009. It was built almost entirely from scratch and has 21st Century safety features including air brakes, PTC, and an oil bunker.

It's since been renumbered PRR 331 in honor of the locomotive that hauled
>>
File: T1Graphic.jpg (186 KB, 1024x683)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
>>2005166
well the design is about 80 years old but I'd count it
>>
>>2005168
So THIS is the power of rail autism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A1_Steam_Locomotive_Trust
>The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust formed in 1990 for the primary purpose of completing the next stage of the locomotive heritage movement, the building of a new steam locomotive from scratch
>Some of the sums raised by covenanting were "unheard of" from railway enthusiasts
>By May 2008, £2.5m had been raised and spent, and the gap to the required £3m had been raised to complete Tornado.
>>
>>2005166

Here, have a list
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_locomotives_of_the_21st_century

With regards to the UK projects, some are scratch builds or mostly scratch but using some original or similar parts, and some are conversions of other locomotives, however more new builds are going to be needed over time as original locomotives continue to age, be worn out from use, and require more and more replacement parts to keep them operational. There's a Ship of Theseus argument about preserved locomotives with some people believing that they should be pulled from traffic if keeping them running requires the replacement of too many original parts, while the counter argument is that parts and fittings were routinely swapped between locomotives during their working lives and barely any made it into preservation with all of their original parts.

Regardless of which way this argument goes, the skillsets needed to produce replacement parts or new locomotives need to be retained, especially as the original generation of preservationists who carried over the knowlege from the steam era continue to die off. There are younger folks being trained to replace them, but if those people are going to be sustained there needs to be enough consistant paid work for them for keep doing it, and new build projects can potentially play a big part in that. The problem is finding the money to do it during a time where rail preservation is increasingly struggling to remain financially viable.
>>
>>2005607
The amount of experimental and streamlined locomotives that can be built is astounding.
>>
File: 1433108483509.jpg (147 KB, 1024x768)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
I would want to come up with an entirely new design for the sole purpose of beating Mallard's speed record.

Would 150mph be possible with today's technology?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (57 KB, 1280x720)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>2005634
i wonder if it would be more efficient to run a steam engine on propane?
>>
File: prrs1.jpg (129 KB, 1288x735)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
>>2005634
If it's American streamlined then yeah.
>>
>>2005637

Oil and coal burn hotter.
>>
>>2005824
does the temperature even matter for steam engines? i assume you can get enough pressure without excessive temperatures, especially in any kind of fire tube system.
>>
>>2005824
Propane would be lighter
>>
>>2005702
Good luck finding anywhere in America to run a train quickly.
>>
>>2005634
Hear me out: steam-electric drivetrain
>>
File: swisselec6.jpg (40 KB, 468x318)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>2006078

Liek dis?
>>
>>2005452

*hauled Abraham Lincoln's funeral train

Didn't realize that I forgot to write the end of this post
>>
>>2006242
Nah, where they use steam to generate electricity which is used to power the motors.

Pic related, but with coal instead of uranium.
>>
File: heilside3.gif (37 KB, 780x229)
37 KB
37 KB GIF
>>2006321
the french did it
>>
>>2005168
Seing a website address on a steam engine triggers anachronism.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.