[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

How do you deal with heat when biking?

I planned for a long ride today but called it quits after 4 hours. I went through 5 gatorades and a couple of granola bars but still developed a strong headache and painful leg cramping. It was only 84F
>>
I just ride less desu. Fuck this shit. I'm down to like 80 miles a week these days.
>>
>>2008354
80 miles is still a really good amount
>>
During the height of summer I do a lot more dusk/night riding. Other than that, acclimatize gradually so your body is more used to exertion in heat, wear light colored clothing, and make sure to stay hydrated before you get on the bike. If you're getting headache and cramps that means you're badly dehydrated and/or seriously overexerting yourself.
>>
Dry heat here, peaks around 105-110 last couple days.
I ride at 5:30 am. low of anywhere from 69-75(today) and I can ride fine till 9-10am. More is do able but you need more water, more electrolytes and more willpower.

If you are fat, and can/willing to lose weight that helps. Fat is insulation so every lb makes the heat worse.
If you own a road bike, do road work. You get more cooling wind going fast. When I used to mtb in 90F it was just..... not super fun.
I also plan my rides around the weather, so really hot days I do weight training or I plan on doing some roller/indoor stuff.

Riding at night is decent too. No sun and night riding is optimal for z2/cruising.
>>
>>2008353
i like it as long as I don't run out of water. Wet bandana helps keeping my head cool and I bought the meme bladder jersey to carry more water with me. Or just ride in the evening/night
>>
>>2008357
I pissed after the ride and it was only slightly yellow
>>
File: 20240615_120814.jpg (1.84 MB, 3264x1836)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB JPG
>>2008353
Roll out before 9am
Sunscreen.
Put a frozen ice pack in your back jersey
1 bottle water. 1 botter water plus electrolyte pill.
Before ride eat carbs and have an electrolyte drink.
Dont roll for more than 3 hours
Come back and take a cold shower to lower your core temp.

This works for me its 100vdegrees in july here in Missouri.
>>
File: 1703537313501546.jpg (42 KB, 600x544)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>2008353
>How do you deal with heat when biking?
Sweat. Suffer. Suck it up. There are no silver bullets or magic hexes that will make it better.
>>
>>2008388
Drugs?
>>
>>2008353
Your body can only absorb about a pint of water per hour, more than that and it just gets flushed out through your urine, uselessly.
Also Gatorade is shit-tier when it comes to electrolytes, it doesn't contain the full spectrum of them, and what it does have is not enough, especially on hot days.
You need to be hydrated *before* going out in the heat, and by that I mean you need to stay hydrated *every day*. If you're pounding water only when it's hot and you're thirsty, then it's too late and you're going to have problems.
BTW it's worse when the humidity is high, because it's harder for your sweat to evaporate, so you don't stay as cool.
Also if you're riding in the heat wearing street clothes and expect to perform well for long rides then you're fucking up, that's what lycra riding clothes are made to help with. Cotton jeans and cotton underwear hold onto sweat so you're just stewing in it for hours instead of it getting wicked to the surface and evaporating away to keep you cool. Say whatever you want about it but that's the reason technical clothing like that exists and denying it helps is just being stupid and stubborn for no reason.
I've also found that having sunscreen on exposed skin helps keep you cooler.
Finally though heat tolerance varies from person to person, and you have to build up heat tolerance over time. Riding all year 'round helps with that as you get more used to riding distances during the cooler parts of the year so when the hot weather arrives you're better conditioned for it.
>>
>>2008353
don't eat so much wtf is wrong with you
even pros don't eat that much on a 4 hour race
you can't just drink gatorade, eventually the sugar in that makes you more dehydrated after a certain point, you need 1 waterbottle of straight up water for every sports mix bottle
>>
>>2008399
>Your body can only absorb about a pint of water per hour,
maybe if you aren't actually moving
drinking only 1 pint of water riding in hot conditions is how you die of heat stroke retard
rule is 1 bottle per hour minimum
>>
>>2008377
>misery
I'm so sorry anon
>>
>>2008353
>How do you deal with heat when biking?
tropical islander genes and living far north from where my ancestors evolved, plus low mass human = less heat soak
>>
>>2008397
uppers or caffeine makes it worse so nothing there.

Maybe cortiosteroid pills if you wanted to abuse something to try to recover faster. Maybe anabolic steriods to build lean muscle mass. Maybe a simple asthma inhaler to open your bronchial tubes during a ride.

But I can't think of anything to make you vent heat faster or not build up heat to begin with.
>>
>>2008408
We call it the Show me State because I have the ladies at the group C ride Show em off
>>
>>2008399
How is it "flushed", Dr Myass?

To reach the kidneys and go out ppeing, water has to be absorbed by the intestine and reach the blood stream. So already available for sweating and keeping a nice volume etc.

No such thing as unabsorbed water "flushed". That would be diarrhea, not urine.
>>
>>2008353
It's simple, generate less heat by decreasing your power output until your temperature levels off at some sustainable point, given your environment.
Basically chill out and pedal less when it's hot. Observe how your body is doing and adjust.
You may also use a sun hat and cover your body with light fabric. That will help too since your head and body will not absorb all the heat from the sun.
>>
>>2008407
*pounds a gallon of water an hour*
*dies of hyponatremia*
>>
>>2008765
*gets dropped regularly on group rides*
>>
>>2008865
you get salt down with that you retard
this shit isnt rocket science
>>
>>2008866
Oh, I'm talking about bike packing/touring, not group riding around the blocks where prankster like yourself ride.
These are tips when you're way off the roads and climbing huge hills in severe heat.
>>
>>2008866
In that case you could ask the other members of your group ride how they deal with the heat, since they would need to deal with the same heat you do. But my guess is the answer would be some combination of be fit, drink lots of water, replenish electrolytes and tough it out.
>>
>not sweatmaxxing by wearing a full face helmet, kneepads and black cotton t shirts
Ngmi
>>
>>2009008
Just be careful and don't get dehydrated. People have passed out and had bad experiences due to that.
TBQH going out a 2-4pm when it's 110+ is bad enough. Let alone if you are fat or it's humid.
>>
>>2008353
Ride based on time, not distance. 1 hour, 2 hours, whatever your level is. Exposure time is what will determine your recovery needs.
>>
>>2008406
You're a fucking idiot.
You tissues can only absorb water so fast, and that has nothing to do with it being absorbed through your digestive system. It goes straight into your blood stream and if there's too much your kidneys grab it and it ends up in your bladder and you need to piss it out.
This is why serious cyclists are advised to stay hydrated at ALL TIMES, not just when they're riding. If you only drink when you're thristy then it's too fucking late and you'll never get ahead of it.
Where do you think your sweat glands get water from? Intracellular water. It doesn't matter if you pound a gallon of water per hour it can't get absorbed by all your tissues fast enough.
Same goes for electrolytes. If you pound too much of it too fast it just goes to waste, and in fact your kidneys will work overtime to get rid of the excess because they work to keep your blood electrolyte levels correct. So too much water means you run a higher risk of hyponatremia anyway.
No one should take advice from you about hydration, you give shitty advice and will end up getting people hurt, so STFU about shit you clearly don't understand.
Also stop taking your own bad advice before you wreck yourself.
Oh and by the way before you double-down on your bullshit: if MY advice was bad, I'd be dead years ago, on one of those 5 or 6 hour rides in the heat.
>>
I got heat exhaustion yesterday. Felt the tingles, feeling sick, wanting to throw up, etc.

Normally I ride at 5:30 to 9:00. Yesterday I went to a group ride on my bike that started at 9:00. Group was slow so the ride was done around 12:00. Then I hung out with the bois till 1:00 or 1:30. Was high 90's at this point.
Made it 5-8 miles home and I was in a bad shape so I got a ride.
Next time I do the group ride when it's a 105+F day I will ride straight home post meetup, or dip in the lake like I should have.
>>
Florida man here, I just embrace the sweat and got only flat terrain to deal with. I went on a 64 mile solo ride yesterday, my longest ride yet with temps reaching 95F / 70% humidity by the end of it. You say 84F but that's ideal summer riding temperature for me.

My summer routine:
Avoid riding between 12:00 and 18:00.
Plan routes and rests that take advantage of tree shade, pray for cloud cover too. Sprint in the sun, slow in the shade.
Sunscreen every 2 hours.
For water I pack at least 1oz per mile, the 64 mile ride demanded four 16oz bottles. This is assuming I hydrated properly beforehand and after the ride. Another anon mentioned 1 bottle per hour, sounds about close to my own calcs.
I prefer early morning rides, I eat a heavy meal the night before and then some fruits and trail mix when I wake up about 30 min before riding. Typically for rides I'll pack a protein bar or two and some electrolyte powder sticks.
I'm working to 100 mile rides by the end of the summer, pain is fun.
>>
>>2008353
ride faster
>>
Unzip my jersey. I recently got a $250 Walmart road bike that goes 16 - 17.9 mph average. It doesn't have a water bottle holder so my 6 miles daily commute is a bit more difficult on hot days. Unzipping the jersey definitely helps my performance.
>>
Did 42 miles yesterday in 93F, 82% humidity. I got really stoned and listened to a Bible audiobook the entire time.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.