[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

heres a very work in progress pic of my 3x13 39speed
i couldnt see any reason why a 13s wouldnt fit my 9s hub and it seems to so far lol, wit a spacer too
desu im probably gonna convert it to a 2x11 at some point to save weight this is just for funsies
im also running a 12s chain because 13s are silly expensive
what are the chances this fails epically?
>>
>>2009950
you may not like it but this is what peak uphill performance looks like
>>
>>2009950
you're a fucking nutjob and I love to see it.
don't forget that you also can crankmaxx for optimal leverage when going vertical. I'd go at least 175mm.
How big are the chainrings?
>>
>>2009951
oh my god. the frame even says SOVL
>>
>>2009950
i like how the cockpit is turning out
i have some 9s microshift thumb shifters mounted upside down inbetween my levers and dildos
my grips got lost in the post i think so im still waiting on them but the cockpit feels very ergonomic and comfy so far
i can actually use just my thumb to shift both ways without moving my fingers off the brake levers which i dont think i can do with any other shifter even gripshifts
and i can reach them from the purple bar ends easily
my right shifter for the 13s has a nice ratchet
the left hand one is a 9s i ghetto converted to pure friction but for 2 or 3 gears thats fine
would be nice to get a right handed 3 speed to put on the left so theyre both ratcheted if i can find one
also i have compressionless housing for the bb7 calipers and speed dial levers
im very exited for these i think this might be peak mechanical braking performance
i think the stock pads are resins so il be changing them to semi metallic when the weather starts getting worse
>>
>>2009953
lol no ive got 145s
my gearing is low enough that ive got all the leverage i need even at that length
chainrings are 22t 32t 36t
i couldve put a 44t on there but i think 36 is as big as i need on this bike
>>2009954
hehe me and my frens all call this bike the cotic sovl
>>
Next level is the classified hub+this.
>>2009955
based rear crossmax enjoyer
>>
>>2009958
yeah id like a super high engagement hub of some kind because with a 22t to 52t ratio even on this reeelatively high engagement hub the gaps between clicks are still giant
theres these bullshit ones with 300 clicks or something on aliexpress hubs that tempt me
id need to learn to lace a wheel though so thats gonna be a future upgrade
i might be able to get some old trials hub or something on ebay perhaps, thatd be fitting for this build
>based rear crossmax enjoyer
is that this wheel?
i got this thing off a folding bike i bought thatd been heavily modified with mtb parts
i dont rly know anything about wheels but it looks perfect on this bike so i like it
>>
>>2009951

It’s so optimized for peak uphill it doesn’t even have functional brakes.

Seriously, though, you’d be surprised how much energy you’re squandering with these type of knobby tires.
>>
>>2009960
tbqh high engagement is just nice if you do super techy trials, or like the BZZZZZ sound.
Yeah it looks like a rear mavic crossmax, could be a mavic crossride.
The crossmax has the big weird aluminum nipples, straightpull spokes, and was a pretty high end wheel at the time(early 2000's into early 2010's). Since yours is disk it's probably early 2010's/late 2000's.

Mostly a trail/all mountain wheel. Modern classification would be downcountry/ light enduro. Could be tubeless ready since mavic was early on the UST(Universal standard tubeless) designation.
Mavic wheels were pretty good back then, they just had bad customer service in the states and fell out of favor, while dt swiss was gaining steam+carbon wheels were getting popular.
>>
>>2009963
brakes just slow you down hehhhehehehehhhhhhehe
yeah im gonna change the tyres to some proper fast rolling crosscountries at some point
i do really enjoy dh style tyres though
theyre noticably slow on smooth ground but the infinite grip is worth it when i get to use it
for now this bike is more of an experiment for fun thing but over time even after ive gotten it rideable im going to keep changing things out to refine it down into a nice crosscountry bike, dropper post and suspension fork are on the list too
>>2009964
it says crosstrail on it
id like a buzzy hub but not too obnoxious, this one makes a quite nice hard ratchet almost like a freewheel
yeah this is the first wheel ive had with straight pulls, aero spokes too which by amazing luck gives me the clearance for the cassette not to rub lol
thanks for the info on the wheel
>>
>>2009958
Sheldon already built a 63 speed bike

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/org/otb.html
>>
>>2009951
fuck yea dude
that thing is awesome

>>2009956
>22t 32t 36t
get a 53t big ring please.
>>
>>2009951
yep, this one is peak
>>
All those gears and you will still be spinning out on 36x11
>>
>>2010003
yo based!
im reading through it
i love sheldon so much, that madman is a big inspiration in my own madness
ive had similar ideas too for bikes using multiple sprockets on gear hubs
a 3x13x2x3 234speed is actually quite possible
i cant afford the gear hubs though
i also theorized a 2x3 6 speed fxed gear using gear hubs
oh i just remembered if i actually tried to build any of these id probably explode the gear hubs by putting too much torque through them
>>2010005
hehe thanks
44 is as big as my fd can take unless i make my granny gear bigger but i dont wanna do that
just for fun il get a 44t chainring for her though just to really rangemaxx my drivetrain
i ride touring bikes too and my ideal set up for that is a 22t to 44t 2x drivetrain so i can use the 44t for that in the future
that bike wont be gearmaxxed as in number of gears but it will be rangemaxxed with a giant cassette too
>>2010017
<3
>>2010046
if im on the 36x11 im already going down a fairly steep hill so i can let gravity take me
on my tourer that i ride on the road and take on more gravel type offroading 36 would be too spinny yeah
ground clerance is also one other reason for the 36 over a 44, weight too i guess
dont worry il definitely post pics of my other bikes at some point im gearmaxxing all of them and experimenting with various set ups
>>
>>2009950
next i need to brakemaxx
i need a bike thats both rim and disk brake compatable then i can have 4 brakes and use tt bars for the other 2 brake levers or something lol
>>
>>2010050
>>
>>2010049
>44 is as big as my fd can take unless i make my granny gear bigger but i dont wanna do that
front (and rear) derailer capacity is kinda meaningless unless you're setting up a bike for someone who refuses to understand their shift pattern. It only affects your ability to crosschain small/small without rubbing, but that's not a useful gear, and the rubbing doesn't damage anything if you go into it by mistake. Same with rd capacity.

what matters is matching the curvature of the derailer cage to the big chainring, and with a triple fd, the middle ring shift groove. So yeah i guess it probably wouldn't work well with that mech (those mechs look awesome btw)
>>
File: jack taylor tandem.jpg (1.2 MB, 2501x1469)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
>>2010050
that was a tandem thing back in the day
mafac made dual cable brake levers
people would run drums and cantis

you can actually still get dual cable levers
they're also used by disabled athletes sometimes
>>
setting these up must be a nightmare
>>
>>2010052
based
>>
>>2010055
the front deraillier has a hard 22t limit between the biggest and smallest chainrings or the chain will rub the top an bottom so there are limits
i have run fds with the wrong size chainrings before also it can work
22 to 44 is my favourite range though and what the fds i run are all made for
>(those mechs look awesome btw)
yeahh this is absolute peak shimano for me they look so edgy i love it
>>2010063
i wish i could have a tandem one day theyre so cool
>>
>>2010050
26in mtb is the pick here. Particularly around 2000's when forks came with disk brake mounts and canti/v brake bosses.
Rear might be harder since most frames didn't do disk and canti bosses, but I am sure it's possible.
>>
>>2010077
>the front deraillier has a hard 22t limit between the biggest and smallest chainrings or the chain will rub the top an bottom so there are limits

>rub the top
nonsense
>rub the bottom
doesn't matter

it doesn't matter

not trying to convince you to do it just making a general point about derailer limits not mattering. It's not a hard limit at all.
>>
>>2010065
Non-aero levers are a pleasure to set up. I fucking hate aero levers
>>
>>2009951
>peak uphill performance
With fucking thumb shifters? I hope you are planning to change that otherwise everyone will know you don't climb anything significant
>>
>>2010081
im sorry man but this fd is kinda a collectable and in good condition i really dont wanna scrape it up
the biggest i can go is 44, a 53 with a 31t granny could work but if it doesnt then the chain will scrape up the fd
>>2010078
yeah theres a version of this on-one fork that has vbrake bosses and disk mounts, i wish i had that one but mines disk only and so is my frame
theres a rare version of this frame that has vbrake mounts but its like rare rare there might only be one or two of them
theres quite a few hybrids and tourers that are compatable with both so i can do a quad brake set up at some point
>>2010083
hhahaa yess damn it took a while the boards rly slow atm what gives?
anyway die?
i can shift from any gear to any gear with one flick of my thumb
fuck mashing a plastic button to try to get down my gears lol
i live in wales btw
i guess its not the swiss alps but its steep as shit everywhere here
normies think im retarded for cycling anywhere but the flat bike paths and towns lol
>>
>>2010084
>not trying to convince you to do it

>collectable front derailer
lol
>>
>>2010085
these old bike parts are gonna be worth alot one day maaan
>>
>>2009951
that dinner plate is making me laugh.
but as long as it works I guess it's fine. that is an extremely low gear, I'm not sure the little ring would even be useful? can you actually ride it fast enough to stay upright in small front big rear? or even mid rear?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.