[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy Birthday 4chan!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 7 train.jpg (219 KB, 800x571)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
Discuss
>>
File: 7train.jpg (147 KB, 1256x832)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
Let's Go Mets!!
>>
>>2012473
If your are a pregnant Latina or one with 5 kids or both
>>
Way too crowded, way too unreliable, and not enough redundancy unless you live in downtown flushing, requires a transfer to get to anywhere useful, makes an unholy racket turning the entire area around the line into a nightmarish neutral zone where you dash through it as fast as possible because the only businesses that can survive there are dive bars for migrant workers, brothels, "travel agencies" that are somehow acting like it's still 1990, and cell phone stores. 2/10 would not ride
>>
>>2012583
What's up with those travel agencies? What are they really on about?
>>
>>2012585
boomers that dont know what google flights is and brown people shipping their childrens clothing/toys/electronics or money to their ungrateful relatives in their third world shithole back home
>>
>>2012593
>>ungrateful relatives
Nailed it
>>
>>2012473
Literally the worst. Only competition is D train which gets you there even if not safely, and SIRR which is at least free
>>
>>2012634
you have never taken the A/C or 2-3 trains
>>
>>2012473
The 7 embodies everything wrong with the NYC Subday today. It has the ultimate relic of the past, i.e. the local and express services. Between Vernon/Jackson and Flushing Main Street is around 7.5 miles there are 18 (!) stations on that stretch.
The MTA should close the following stations on the 7 alone:
>33rd Street
>46th Street
>69th Street
>82nd and 90th Streets, replacing them with a station at Elbertson Street
>either ditch 111th Street or replace both 103rd and 111th with a station between 104th and 108th Streets with exits on both end so Corona Plaza can still be served and 111th's compromise will be weakened.
A lot of express services save around 3-4 minutes compared to local services that run just a few minutes apart. Local trains can easily save 4 minutes by having to decelerate, stop at a station and re-accelerate five times less, effectively making express services redundant. Also having multiple service patterns creates the risk of trains bunching up because of delays, which wouldn't be a big issue if the 7 didn't run every 2-3 hours through midtown Manhattan.

New Yorkers on this board will say it's rubbish because an R62A looked funny at 33rd Street in 2009 or so.
>>
>>2012731
2/3 is not bad and C is pretty good actually, the A is terrible though, basically any express line that has to go through columbus circle is a train wreck
>>
>>2013714
It’s a decent line. I used to live in flushing. Hasn’t been running express for going on two years now with no indication when it’ll be back
>>
>>2012585
for $5 they'll ship anything anywhere, from a soiled diaper to a barrel of yellowcake uranium, no questions asked
they usually give the items to the driver who stows them among normal passenger's luggage and hands them off at destination
>>
>>2013714
33rd serves a college campus directly across the street
>>
>>2012585
Lots of hajj pilgrimages
>>
>>2013714
You need to accomodate any local station anon. If you get rid of local stops, then why even bother making it a train service at all. Get rid of 69th street since that stop is basically around for those who can't get on at 74th.
>>
>>2016834
>If you get rid of local stops, then why even bother making it a train service at all.
A key tenet of yimbyism is that everything comes down to maxing out the investment value of real estate. Being able to say "just a 5 minute walk from the 7 train" is good for property values. Does it matter if the 7 train is actually usable? No, of course not. What matters is that you can describe a property as "just off the 7 train" and have it be technically true
>>
I miss NYC and riding the 7
I got laid off last year so had to move back to my hometown for a while and just stayed. But I think about NYC everyday.
>>
>>2016840
Then it would be more logical to just further extend past flushing and go to college point or not. Either way, there are about 4 stops that the 7 could remove, two of which being 40th and 69th.
>>
File: 1700296585658846.png (400 KB, 724x681)
400 KB
400 KB PNG
https://youtu.be/sUKuDMgEQ3g?si=g2kqwcV1rZBLFZc-
Also since I didn't see another MTA thread, this popped up

if you extended the G to Forrest Hills, it would make absolutely no sense at all. You're better off sending the G to Astoria (meaning a complete revamp of the Queens side), or just fixing up the entire mess known as the QBL
>>
>>2012479
I went to a Mets game in 2007 or 2008. Leaving the game a woman with down syndrome struck up a conversation with me on the subway. She worked in the concession stands at Shea Stadium and made french fries there. It felt like I was in a scene from "Riding the Bus With My Sister" except on a train.
>>
>>2012473
Can you explain what the Chicago equivalent of this line would be?
>>
>>2017182
brown line. goes to places that are alright, nothing against those places, I should go more often. so anyway, (continues talking about neighborhoods that matter)
>>
>>2017080
old sea stadium was based
>>
I'm commenting as a tourist
>>2012473
>7
Pretty nice if you don't go beyond Grand Central. There must be a reason people warned me to not go to Queens
>>2012634
>D
I can believe it
>>2012731
>A/C or 2-3
They didn't seem to be that bad. I'd say even comfy. A/C (or probably C, I don't have them ready in my brain) than 2/3 BTW.
If I had to choose the worse, I'd chose the J.
>>
>>2018573
I just found out shea stadium isn't a thing anymore. All this time I've been calling it shea not realizing the physical stadium is gone and it's now "citi". Sportsball is funny

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.