[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_0945.png (1 KB, 225x225)
1 KB
1 KB PNG
>initially super cheap compared to taxis
>taxis have to raise fares to remain profitable after losing business
>uber raises prices, now more expensive than taxis prior to uber’s existence (even when adjusted for inflation)
So the advantage that made them a better alternative to taxi cabs isn’t true anymore. This is VC money at work.
>>
File: VItaNPb.jpg (86 KB, 1127x632)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
The advantage that makes them a better alternative to taxis is that when you're out drinking with friends you don't have to have the lightest skin member of the group be the last one to go home because he has to stand in the street to hail the cab and open the door for everyone else while each darker skinned friend waited behind a parked car only to rush out and jump into the cab before the driver could see their epidermis and drive away. Now, everyone can just call their own car to drive them home, in whatever order is convenient.

Say what you will about Travis but at least he picked up anyone and drove them home, even to Harlem. The rest of those fuckers can die homeless for all I care. Fuck yellow cabs, fuck medallion holders, let them starve and their kids too.
>>
>the advantage that made them a better alternative to taxi cabs isn’t true anymore
False.
Even though app-based taxis caught up to regular taxis in price per km, they are still infinitely better because it's nearly impossible to get scammed:
- no detours
- no "tolls" and "fees" after you reached your destination
- no manipulated meters
- no "got no change"
- no "broken card reader"
- you have a clear record who drove you in what car
>>
>>2014251
Have you tried not living in a third world country? Because none of that happens with taxis where I live.
>>
>>2014257
I have taken taxis all over the world and the one thing they have in common is that you never know when a taxi driver is going to hit you with a scam of any kind.
>where I live
Well duh, no taxi driver will take a local for a tourist ride.
They might still charge you an inflated rate, for example my employer once paid 60 bucks for a 12 minute taxi ride to the other side of the airport (very detailed receipt with VAT and airport access fee) whereas it would have been less then 20 euros by app.
>>
>>2014201
> This is VC money at work.
Of course it is just like every other tech company. Get tons of VC money, Lose tons of money, buy up all competitors, then jack up the prices. It’s all a ponzi scheme
>>
>>2014251
Exactly this. knowing the price before hand gives you peace of mind. And surge charging gives you access to transportation where before you'd have to fight for the taxi.
>>
>>2014257
zoom zoom zoom
>>
>>2014338
Just so you know, I'm really enjoying watching you suffer
>>
>>2014251
It's the complete opposite where I live. It used to be when you ordered a taxi they knew the city, they went the straightest reasonable path and always gave you exact prices.

Now that there's no regulation I've seen drivers literally threaten others with violence, mobs start to form. Half the time I'm in one they start making up excuses half-way, trying to charge double or triple. They don't know how to drive, they don't know how to operate a GPS. It's a complete shitshow.
>>
>>2014257
I'd say that even if you are living where this is offered, it still takes some setup
Also partially a hassle, because you can't just pickup the nearest cab. Its either the nearest cab of the correct type, or you have to hope your APP can give you a ETA before you put down the order.

What Uber brought to the table was that the overall enterprises had to play some catchup. If you look at random newspaper clippings for the central area of the guild style taxi organizations, you usually find stories about the developers wanting to implement Uber stuff half a decade before Uber.
Only for the guild to tell them to fuck off, since they didn't want to pay for extra digital infrastructure.
>>
cabs are back in my town. From about 2016 to earlier this year you never saw them, but now they are out and about. Same old yellow MY2010ish Priuses too…I thought they must have all been sold off but I guess not.

I haven’t taken one yet, I bet they are back for a reason though. I haven’t taken Uber since before the virus, either.
>>
>>2014202
I don't have black indigenous people of color friends, though.
>>
>>2014898
>Taxi permits were not run by the mob
>>
>>2014202
... what? Take your fucking meds, or alternatively, stop befriending Indians.
>>
File: indian.jpg (253 KB, 1418x1324)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
>>2016740
>literally no one:
>incels on 4chan: REEEEEE INDIANS!!!!!!!!
at least it's a change of pace from nig nog jogger ywnbaw
>>
Having an agreed price before getting in the car trumps any deficits.
Imagine going to a restaurant where the owner sets the menu prices after you ate or letting your employer decide what to pay you at the end of the month.
That it decimated the taxi mafias and increased the English level in many cities is a nice side effect.
>>
>>2014251
Don't know about you, but with taxis, here, you can choose the road to take, every fee is regulated and known in advance, meters are sealed, never had any problem getting change, and you can pay with card/app anyway, and choose which car. Also, every taxi is literally an app-based taxi, as well (e.g.: taxi-link, izzymove).
>>
>>2016750
>everything I don't like is incels
>REEEEE INCELS
It's even funnier hearing that word from an indian
>>
>>2017425
>choose the road to take
>every fee is regulated and known in advance, >meters are sealed
So many measures to prevent cabbies from ripping off their customers and yet it only mimics a fraction of the convenience of a price set in advance.

You cannot even reimburse regular taxi expenses at my employer without attaching a screenshot of Bolt/Uber for Business stating that they don't operate there or that it's more than 20 minutes of waiting time.
>>
>>2017763
>Fixed fare = rip off
>Arbitrarily floating fees = totes no rip off
Lol
>My employer
LMAO
Zero fucks given
>>
>>2014257
it does tho
>>
>>2014201
RideSHARE. It could have fixed the world....75% of the cars could have been taken off the road (no more 3 empty seats in every car). Wasn't meant for decicated drivers, only to subsidize whatever trip you are already taking.....
>>
File: 1693669620444689.png (113 KB, 300x300)
113 KB
113 KB PNG
>>2014202
>>
>>2014251
As an Uber driver, I think this is way better than a taxi cab. I've worked in both. I drive around with my Natix setup on my dashboard to earn.

In the first place, this shouldn’t even be an argument.
>>
>>2019282
In some areas, this is considered illegal taxi operation, while in others, it is subject to regulations that may include requirements such as driver background checks, fare limits, caps on the number of drivers, insurance, licensing, and minimum wage. Personally, I wouldn't risk booking a ride with a company that knows nothing about the driver.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.