[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: mtn bik.jpg (189 KB, 1280x720)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
Has anyone who mountain bikes NOT broken a bone?
>>
I have two cycling related fractures.
>>
I haven't broken a bone.
I am the most risk averse person I know(sometimes).
I have blacked out before.
My worst crash was on the bike trail unironically.

I used to crash very often.
I did most of my riding when I was under 25, now I do road mostly.
>>
>total noob
>never gone off a jump
>see a jump
>fuck yeah lets do it.png
>full speed ahead
>jump is way bigger than anticipated plus i have no idea how to control my bike mid air
>fall from about 8 ft right onto my shoulder
>crumpled clavicle

At least I didn't break the skin or I'd be in a whole other level of suck. My shoulder is a little lower than the other now.
>>
The only time I've broken a bone was when I got hit (by another rider) while road cycling. I've had plenty of strains, sprains, scrapes, bruises, skin surface damage, and even a concussion as mountain biking injuries, but thankfully no broken bones yet.
>>
>>2014953
>(by another rider)
How did that happen?
>>
I got hit by a car and broke my pinky finger.
>>
>>2014954
I don't know, I woke up in a hospital bed about 4 hours later with no memory of what happened. I was told later by someone else who had done the same ride (it was an organized event, the last thing I remember from the day was noting that my odometer had passed the 100mi mark) that another rider had crashed me out somehow, but that was just hearsay and I never got any details.
>>
File: 1716796476680627.jpg (38 KB, 500x375)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>2014948
just ride xc
>>
>sprained ankle
>just recovering
>lets go for a bike ride
>speeding down a very used city pathway
>fucking dog runs under my front wheel
>go flying
>go to dr to see about the ankle
>"your ankle is fine but your wrist is broken"
>>
>>2014948
I used to bmx and in those days I broke my: 2x nose, left collar bone, right elbow, 4x hand, 3x ribs, chipped shin below kneecap and I think that is it.
Then I went to just trail riding a mountain bike, then cyclocross, then road biking, now finally a mountain bike and jumping again... I give it until the end of summer before I break another one.
>>
>>2014965
good job
>>
what is the point of features like this on trails?
it doesn't require skill to ride them, but if you do fuck up, you break a leg or arm

I just don't get the purpose of shit like this
>>
>>2014973
it definitely requires skill

just go around them
>>
>>2014973
skinnies are a thing that you might actually need to ride over if you ever go to backcountry/actual wilderness. sometimes it's the only way to get over an otherwise impassable river or gorge or swamp or whatever. the crazy meme skinnies you see in mtb parks get pretty silly though.
>>
>>2014948
Nope. I just ride enduro (better fitness and better trails at the cost of getting in fewer runs/day downhill) and focus on technical trails rather than flow.

Yeah I've crashed, but it's more abrasion style injuries if you aren't hitting big jumps.
>>
>>2014957
XC is like gnarlier than enduro of 10 years ago these days
>>
>>2014973
it's for fun. you could argue that riding a bike in the woods has no purpose because you can navigate the terrain much easier on foot.
>>
All MTBers I know have had broken bones, plates in their shoulders and shit like that.
Bombing down a single trail on a fully is hella fun but you get fucked so easily. And if you do you're in the middle of a forest with no ambulance having access to you.
I kinda stick to road now since it is safer.
One thing I don't like about MTBers is they take their car to wherever they want to ride lol. Most I met have no stamina and are terrible at climbing.
>>
>>2015066
>road now since it is safer.
It's definitely safer for small injuries, but on the road if you hit a good sized stone and fly into traffic you're probably dead.
>>
>>2015066
>everyone takes their car
oh, it's a bait poster.
cool story bro
>>2015040
just do vintage XC or modern gravel. That's all gravel is now, the old XC with rigid bikes and longer rides.
>>
>>2014964
i hate wrists.
honestly they are the primary cycling fatality. Almost every crash affects them. Wrists are always painful around the year because they are never done healing before taking additional damage.
Meanwhile the other stuff like femur, AC joint, ankle, arm... all that stuff just heals and youre fine again.
>>
>>2015079
I was in a cast for 7 months for breaking my right scaphoid. I wasn't taking good care of it, granted, but man was that a pain in the butt. Still have problems with it.
>>
My area is all mud, peat, humus, dirty sand. Rocks and even pebbles are scarce. I get extremely dirty every ride but it does reduce the scope of injuries a lot.
>>
>>2014948
Buy a very heavy punching bag and smack your bones into it. You will get thicker bones and you can also train your punching and kicking. Also lift weights stronger muscles help absorb impacts better.
>>
>>2014948
Me so far.
A buddy broke both of his elbows and one arm today, though.

Oh yeah, and picrel happened.
>>
>>2015091
A good thrust to the crotch.
>>
>>2015091
Dak insiperd handlebars?
>>
>>2015068
how is that bait? the majority of MTBers have a huge truck or subaru they take their bikes to trails with and probably shun bike commuting. I can't say endurance though since there is overlap with gravel/XC and MTB, unless they have a pure downhill bike then they definitely drive there.
>>
>>2015079
none of my crashes afffected my wrists, I just landed forearm first and "slapped the ground'
It's a skill/instinct issue.
Most of my crashes were medium to slow speed, some fast ones. All hardpack.
>>2015086
I bet you get to grease frequently and have trashed bearings.
>>2015099
Just seems counter intuitive to shun bike commuting and ride recreationally.
I guess there are lots of mtbers who don't ride to trails. I always do my best to ride to trails, and that's why I don't run DH double down DHF tires that wear out fast.
>>
>>2015101
well all my crashes >>2015079
were high speed and tarmac because I don't MTB, I commute, go places and rarely leisure ride in an area that is developed and has rather high population density so using existing roads is almost always the faster option. So maybe it has more to do with that altho I often hear people claim they would somehow tuck their arms and consequentiall, sustain less injuries somehow. Idk.
Fact is that for me at least, the handfull of crashes I get into every year, mostly thanks to cagers, are enough to sustain my wrists in a chronically painfull state for the last decade and a bit more.
>>
>>2015101
many bike riders are like that in america, that's why there's this component of people who concern troll on bike lane discussion with "I'm a cyclist and I don't like these bike lanes!" because they only ride their bikes for sport at trails.
>>
>>2015102
That sucks. I have only had a couple road crashes and they were the worst. I used to commute to high school and college via bike trails+bike lanes and bicycles are very rare here.
Roads were maybe a little faster but cars are doing 50+mph so I preferred to sidewalk or biketrail since no pedestrians either.
>>2015103
It just makes no sense to me but I do both. No bike lanes means you have to cope with fast traffic or sidewalk, which is always slower then a bike lane IMO.
>>
>>2015106
>No bike lanes means you have to cope with fast traffic or sidewalk,
they don't ride on roads, they take thier bikes on a rack to a trail, if they are road bikers they just cope with riding in the middle of the road and say it's the best way
>>
>>2015068
im actually getting into MTB now because all I do is gravel and it's getting boring
>>
>>2015091
Roger roger
>>
>>2015115
Just skill max and bring/wear knee pads+long sleeves when you are going for bigger obstacles.
Long sleeves help a bit for elbow/forearm abrasian, while knee pads I found were the first too hit besides your gloves.
Shit I used to run external armor and a full face at the DH bike park.
Also, walk sections if you get sketched, think about what line you should take before you just send it. At least in the beginning.
>>
>>2015116
kek
>>
>>2015117
All perfectly sensible. Almost every piece of protection gear I wear is a reaction to a nasty scratch, lol.
Except for the helmet, I've always used fullfaces in bike parks.
>>
>>2015115
Do that, it's peak biking.
And if you want to get some air (you will), I can't recommend LomeRanger's jumping tutorial high enough. Many a nosedive was had before I saw his video.
>>
>>2015210
*LoamRanger
>>
>>2015066
I'm genuinely surprised at MTB people breaking anything other than a thumbnail while tying their MTB to the rack of their SUV
>>
>>2015215
I tetris my 29er L-frame into the back of my Focus, I'm real as fuck.
>>
>>2015066
>Most I met have no stamina and are terrible at climbing.
That's me. I only ride in bike parks that have lifts.
>>
>>2015066
>Most I met have no stamina and are terrible at climbing.
i do at least 5 enduro races every season (Mens 35+ beer-league/Novice/OpenReg). only one DNF where i broke my ankle taking the fast line down a 6 footer.
>>
>>2015066
I used to do xc races and they were all won and lost on the hills. Being 50+lbs over most of the teenage competition and unfit I tended to lose, but it taught you how to withstand heat and suffering.
Always found finishing a techy climb to be a great reward, low stakes too.
>>
>>2015066
im just starting
i don't really have any desire to become a bike park bro
i just wanna be able to climb techy shit fast and get through stuff like rock gardens, minor rolls and be able to descend quickly but not shred
>>
>>2014973
The whole point of riding out there in the woods is adrenaline, why not spice things up a little.
>>
>>2015683
For me the whole point of riding out there in the woods is to relax and unwind.
>>
>>2014948
ok well i fractured my rib but i was cycling on a bike path not mtbing
normally when i crash offroad its just a tumble into a bush or something and just have some scrapes how are you fuckers crashing like that?
>>
>>2014957
xc just makes all your bones hurt all over equally
>>2015068
gravel is boring and slow and effort
>>2014965
now bmxers fuck themselves up fr
i knew a guy who smshed his face riding bmx
>>2014973
same fuck off with those
>>2015040
yeah modern xc is rough
im training to do amateur xc and its a rly long time of just pedaling and absorbing bumps
uphills are a rest desu
>>2015046
i ride in the woods to ride natural terrain not these dangerous unfun things
if i wanna ride shit like that i ride street and do trialsy stuff
>>2015066
i think you guys are just riding above your skill level
i ride the same trails and havnt hurt myself because i know when to use my brakes lol
and i know when i look at something if its too far above my level before im already in it
just dont be retarded lol?
>>2015067
i get hit by stones on the road they just rly hurt
could take an eye out tho
or break a knuckle
>>2015079
same
mine are getting fucked just from the riding
when i fall im careful to not land palm first because im so scared of that
>>2015086
lol same
its too muddy here for me to get enough speed to crash too lol
>>2015091
is his pene oke?
>>2015099
im pretty sure this is an /n/ myth everyone i know rides to the trails
i think you guys just watch too much seth
>>2015230
i got a 29er and a 26er into a hyndai i10
clowncar shit
>>2015248
techy climbs are what i live for
>>2015268
just go innawoods and start riding whatever bike you got
get good tyres and a big cassette and just keep training front wheel and rear wheel lifts and youl get up anything eventually
if you have trouble with rear wheel lifts check your pedals and shoes have enough tread to grip eachother, that made a biiiig difference for me
>>
>>2015883
>is his pene oke?
He said he somehow only hit it with his ass.
>>
>>2015103
thats weird. Since bicycle infrastructure advocates are always motorists.
>>
>>2014948
Yeah me. I never broke anything just had scrapes. I fucked myself totally up on a road bike instead lol.
>>
>>2015079
>primary cycling fatality
>wrists
lolno
https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/operate-or-wait-guide-collarbone-injuries
>>
>>2016204
The point is that almost all crashes fuck up your wrists. While only some crashes break a bone or mess up something besides your wrists.
This year for example I popped my AC joint but obviously fucked my wrists up in the same crash + collateral but most other crashes this year only messed up my wrists and I'm not even sure if I've been in a single crash this year that didn't mess up wrists.
Btw surgeon did a really good job fixing a rockwood 5 and its as good as new, guess whats currently aching.
>>
>>2014965
quick update: I still havent fucked myself up yet, but I did watch some cyclocross fuck crash on something children ride on and he really messed himself up.
>>
>>2015079
>>primary cycling fatality
>>wrists
>>2016204
>collarbone
both of you are wrong, the primary cycling fatality is your family lineage
>>
>>2016265
REEEEEEEEEEEEE
why is it constantly hurting in a weird way just under the each glute
>>
>>2016196
is his bussy ok?
>>
>>2016265
nothing of value is lost :)
>>
>>2016262
typical cx rider
theyre like gravel riders but without the self preservation instinct and like mtb riders without the skill
im saying this as someone whose building a cx bike rn lol
>>
>>2016549
>believing there are only 'cx' riders, 'road' riders, 'mtb' riders, 'gravel' riders

people that do shit like CX will also do a ton of MTB and Road
>>
>>2016549
>>2016560
What is the real difference between gravel bikes and CX shit? Is it just geometry mostly? It looks very similar (at a glance) since I do not do either, but CX riders seem to be chodes pretending they are in an ironman race
>>
>>2016560
most people dedicate themselves to one style for most of their riding life then only try something else later when they get bored
i think most cx riders are people coming from road or gravels because its very rare to see them riding with the same method as an mtb rider
the same way id look like a total tool on a road bike because i grew up on mtbs
>>2016602
as far as i care its just the tyres and gearing but im sure geo is different too
id assume cx bikes are a bit more mtb like than a gravel bike for riding rougher terrain which is just a more mtb like road bike for riding slightly rough terrain
idk where hybrids or cross bikes or fitness bikes or all these other dumb genres of "somewhere between road and mtb" fit in
>>
>>2016602
>What is the real difference between gravel bikes and CX shit?
CX tires have more aggressive tread because courses include sand and mud.
The tires are much narrower, 33mm, compared to gravel which is usually 42-55mm.
CX bikes have a higher bottom bracket for popping over obstacles. Touring and now gravel bikes traditionally have a low bottom bracket for stability.
CX cranks traditionally are 46-36 which are quite close gears and allow fast shifts under difficult rolling muddy hills. They also don't use particularly wide cassettes because the riders are punchier.

CX bikes are more commonly pure race bikes, only used by athletes in the sport, much like time trial bikes, as opposed to gravel bikes which tend to be marketed as all rounders for casuals.

Although, many CX models like Kona's Jake the Snake and Gunnar Crosshairs were designed and marketed as being good for light touring and commuting etc, much like gravel bikes are.
>>
>>2016200
tell story
>>
>>2016204
In my case they decided to give me some t3s and a sling and send me home.
>>
>>2016602
Gravel bikes are CX bikes for casuals.
>>
>>2016602
There isn't any really
Before 'gravel bikes' were a thing people just used CX bikes
CX bikes are road racing bikes with clearance for larger tires and traditionally a slightly higher bottom bracket
Then came "Adventure bikes" which were sort of rando style bikes marketed for riding more on dirt roads
Then "gravel bikes" which were basically endurance road race bike geo with clearance for larger tires
now 'gravel bike' can mean anything really as long as it has clearance for larger tires, there are gravel bikes that are basically 'adventure bikes' there are gravel bikes that are basically CX bikes
>>
File: CyclingInducedErrection.jpg (233 KB, 1080x544)
233 KB
233 KB JPG
>>2016265
the duality of man
>>
>>2017040
All I know is I got a new bike and havent ridden in a while and I didnt have any bike shorts on yesterday when I was dickin around. MUH GOOCH BONES
>>
>>2017040
Retards can't set up their saddle tilt, can't find fitting clothes and can't get laid, how new
>>
>>2015066
Mtb rider since 1983
Lots of scuffs, no.breaks
>>
>>2018702
Based gramps.
>>
>>2016262
Well I jinxed myself.... 3 fractured ribs and I cut the lung but not a puncture. I'm still in the er as I post this.
>>
>>2020322
get well soon anon
>>
>>2020375
Thanks bro, pretty bored sitting here. My shoulder started really hurting so they are taking X-rays of that now too, possibly got the collar bone busted too.
>>
>>2020379
Green text your story (since you have nothing better to do)

How did you do it?
>>
>>2016265
I angled my seat downwards and have had no more numb dick or sore taint.
>>
This year I bought an high end mtb as my first bike ever.
I bought it because i turned 29 and got an existential crisis over it (did not even know how to bike before that)

Anyway i learned how to bike in 2 days, proceeded to have a few times that i run into brushes, two weeks in I had one really clutch moment were i almost endo-ed my self down a nearly 30 degree dirt road slope, i wore no helmet or protection and i feel i escaped a world of pain.

A couple weeks later I was riding downhill in an asphalt winding mountain road, front wheel got stuck in a pine needle filled pothole and i had a little fall on my left wrist to the side, I quickly dusted myself off and continued downhill.

Little did i know that my wrist was kinda twisted and did not have enough grip strength to hold on the handle, so when i went down the next turn i lost control of the steering and I practically dived into the asphalt on my chest, I again wore no protection but thank god I did wear one of those army green 100% polyester shirts. because of the slippery texture of the shirt i kinda just slid on my chest for a few meters like a penguin on ice and it somewhat dispersed the force of the impact.

When I got up it felt like my collar bone and sternum were all shoved in my lungs, Had difficulty breathing and such, I doubled down on my stupidity and instead of calling for help i decided i would walk with my bike the rest of the way down to the destination, thankfully nothing was broken and after a while adrenaline kinda drowned out discomfort and pain.

After that I promised to myself Ill finally buy protection and a helmet.

tldr i hate downhills now.
>>
>>2020322
Ah crap. Speedy recovery.

>>2020388
You dummy.
>>
>>2020382
ok anon, sorry for taking so long.. stuff started happening with more xray's and I feel asleep for a little while since they wake me up every 2 hours to check vitals.. but I'm home now

Little background for those that dont want to read the whole thread.
I'm >>2020322
>>2016262
>>2014965 <-- I called it here

>dreamt about crashing the night before
>out mtbing at a set of trails that are like mini slope style jumps
>feeling kind of sketchy all day.. running off course a bit, over shooting jumps just basically off balance more than I'd like.
>also I still have some gear issues with skipping but its now on like 2-3-4 instead of 3-4-5 so stay in hardest gear 34x10
>hit almost everything I can think of at these trails now except 1 blue to black transfer
>towards end of day get the guts to do it and clear it but run off course because the next turn is too sharp
>realize I can do blue to black back to the blue using the turn as a jump
>kind of accomplish that and decide to ride down the rest
>realize there is a drop I have only hit twice ever and say fuck it without looking at it
>3ft drop into a steep 10ft hill straight into a sharp turn
>I am going really slowly and didnt notice my gears have bounced into 2-3
>so slow, too slow I pedal up and slip the chain, yank the bars up
>I am just off balance as I go off
>back tire slams the hill sending my front down
>shocks compress and the bars turn sideways
>head, shoulder and back all slam the ground as I go over the bars
>rear tire smashes my head while I'm on the ground is my best guess
>knocked out.. strava indicates about 3-4 minutes in 1 spot before I move.
>2 people find me, help wake me up, lie to me and say I was only out 30 seconds
>help me up to the top of the hill, load my bike in the back of my truck for me
>I drive myself an hour home
>neighbor is outside and I ask him for help with bike
>he does and drives me the 4-5 blocks to the hospital
>a few hours later I find out all the damage
>>
File: KIMG0091.jpg (2.84 MB, 1800x4000)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB JPG
>>2020405
Here is a picture of the xray I snagged. You guys could probably find me in forever shinkansen with just under 10 miles for the week
>>
File: junk.jpg (966 KB, 1816x1943)
966 KB
966 KB JPG
wrists abon here.
just had this lot removed. place your bets regarding what breaks next(any anon).
on a side note: a guy as amateurish with a screwdriver as the surgeon would instantly loose any shop as a mechanic.
>>
>>2020408
Icky.. they were talking about possibly putting a plate on my ribs and I think I am glad they aren't.

My guess is an ankle and it will while going up an obstacle, losing speed and bad foot placement
>>
>>2020409
i gotta say, surprisingly nice results. First night post surgery did hurt, second night was much better already. Arm didnt really work for a while. That cleared up soon. After removal even hospital staff were surprised with me not reporting any pain and not needing any pain killers. I did ask what they gave me during surgery, turns out that was already through the system when I woke up. Restoration is top notch, as far as mobility, pain etc. go. 10/10 would recommend. Results may vary.
Now if they only could magically fix other things just like that.
>>
>>2020463
yeah no shit. I'm not gonna lie, Im on day 2 after the incident and obviously no surgery but they have me on a muscle relaxer/pain med that kind of sucks.. but I asked for some weak stuff after watching my brother become a heroin addict after a broken leg and that scares me more. My shoulder is actually in more pain than my ribs are.

The amazing stuff they can do between a ct scan, xray and an mri is the stuff out of science fiction imo. I have no idea how it works so its basically magic to me.
>>
>>2020464
you sure the only meds they gave you are for pain?
>>
>>2020479
methocarbamol is what the gave me, its musclerelaxer and pain to some extent. Honestly the advil I ended up taking seemed to work better. But I'm just whining
>>
>>2014948
I've never broken a bone. But I ride a MTB on footpaths in the thames valley. It's mostly mud and flat single track.
>>
File: weee.jpg (1.25 MB, 1036x1036)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB JPG
40 yo and never broken a bone.
I only started MTBing last year, so I'm not sure that counts, lol.
>>
>>2022052
I remember when you bought that bike. great action shot
>>
>>2022059
True, I did post a picture here, haha.
Thanks, man.
>>
>>2014948
I MTBed for 6 years, broke a rail on a bridge with my shoulder and ended in the drink, but no broken bones.
>>
>>2022182
Based Ride&Destroyer

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.