[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: fenders.png (305 KB, 400x400)
305 KB
305 KB PNG
What's the reason behind not using fenders? Even those who do use them often remove them in summer. What's the point? The weight is negligible.
>>
you cant rough the bike up as much or you'll bend them and they'll rub
>>
mine rub and my bike has no eyelets so it ate the vintage paint since I was stupid. Luckily she had chrome underneath.

I am mentally unwell so the rubbing was always an ARGH moment and I had to adjust when I made it home.

Still, it was nice when it rained.
>>
>>2015008
I like my fenders. I also use a kickstand which I understand is taboo.
>>
>>2015008
They're noisy and not needed if not riding over water
>>
>>2015008
>Even those who do use them often remove them in summer.
As someone who does this: Honesty, mostly aesthetics. Also less rattling, weight and stuff to break, but mostly aesthetics.
>>
>>2015015
mine don't make any noise.
>>
It's only for astethics, unless they have a shit bike where it rattles. However anyone with a 500+ bike can easily afford quality fenders that don't rattle, even road bikes with no eyelets, and its actually more aero than not having them since it decreases drag on your rolling tire, which easily negates the weight difference. And you also dont get sprayed with shit water from every puddle you go through.
>>
>>2015008
because only dorks use them
>>
My daily happens to have stock fenders. Coindidence? I think not.
People who don't have any bike with fenders are probably cagers or NEETs.
>>
>they'll rub
weird, i see some downhill MTBers using fenders and that's pretty much the hardest possible riding you can do on any bike, granted the fenders for those are high up and can't really rub but this really isn't a concern if they are properly mounted.
>>
>>2015125
>[full fenders rubbing] isn't a [real] concern if they are properly mounted.
Wrong. It is a real concern.
That doesn't mean full fenders are bad, but they have downsides.

>why don't people just run tiny plastic zip tied fenders
they don't protect your feet/legs/drivetrain but yeah, it's better than nothing

Really the most important job of fenders is to protect your lower headset bearing. Mtb-style front fenders are extremely un aero though so you don't really see them on road bikes.

>>2015080
>stock fenders
so you have a shit bike
>>
>>
>>2015125
well from my limited understanding their fenders are much closer to >>2015142
>>
>>2015061
>its actually more aero than not having them
theoretically possible but in reality, doubt, certainly they wouldn't always be more aero
>>
>>2015142
>>2015144
yeah mtb fenders are basically just an evolution of cut in half coke bottles with zip ties
(which is still a good way to do it)
>>
>>2015080
I am a NEET and have lots of fenders
Checkmate.
>>2015142
I used sks shockboards and they were pretty great for mud protection when mtbing.
>>2015140
I was getting water in the mouth when going downhill on my old road bike. Fenders fixed that.
>>
>>2015145
Car guy here. There's a very good reason why any racing series without an explicit rule for open wheels covers them up as much as possible. Wheels SUCK for aero.
>>
>>2015080
I take out the roadie only ever at perfect conditions/light drizzle and the hard tails don't work at all with the fenders (those ass savers aren't worth shit, let's get real here)
>>
>>2015033
Honestly I would be likelier to break my fenders taking them off and putting them back on again twice a year than just leaving them on, especially in regards to wearing out and stripping small Allen bolts. My motto is what's on is on.
>>
File: wrong. dot png.png (105 KB, 620x720)
105 KB
105 KB PNG
>>2015140
>Wrong.
Okay reddit.
>>
>>2015008
No matter how much torque or locktite, my bolts always came loose and the fucking fenders would rub my tires. Hated that shit. I wish I could use fenders, but the roads here are so shit that everything shakes loose.
>>
>>2015180
use longer bolts that go all the way through the boss and then put nylock nuts on the back
>>
>>2015008
I love fenders but they do show you down a bit. They're good at keeping your chain and hubs clean even if you live in a dry place, if you get the long ones. LongboardSKS is the standard for a reason
>>
>>2015149
>I am a NEET and have lots of fenders
Checkmate.
I doubt (you) understand how logical expressions work.
>>2015140
>so you have a shit bike
I dont care about having a shit bike. I probably got plenty of shit bikes by some peoples standards. Either way, THAT bike has not moved me less than 18k km in any year in the last decade and more than 25k in some. It may have a quarter of a million km on it by now.
Besides that my argument is precisely that the bike in question is anything but a shit bike. The practicality and utility it offers is exactly what made me use it with a frequency that made it my daily.
>>
>>2015367
maybe it's not a shit bike, some trekking bikes that come well equipped stock are quite nice, rare though.

having stock fenders is usually a red flag for quality. It's just the word stock that triggers me.
>ooo i have stock fenders
>i want a bike with stock fenders
these are dumb things to say

nothing wrong with liking fenders tho
>>
>>2015008
Most pussies don't ride their bikes in the rain, so the fenders to them are fragile dead weight that rattles and rubs the tires when misaligned

Those who use fenders do so out of necessity
>>
>>2015373
IMHO this is at least a gross oversimplification, if not plain wrong, as in there might be no meaningful causational connection between stock fenders and low quality. Maybe there is a correlation to be observed and I can easily see why that would be. Low tier manufacturers, especially the smiling variant, often operate on the premise of ticking all the boxes, having all the features and then one more.
But the thing is: For an actual cyclist in temperate climates (and not a motorist larping when the weather makes them feel like it) fenders on the daily are needed. And stock fenders are selected and fitted carefully and often take care of (wire) routing in a clean and tidy manner. Stock fenders might even be made to spec.
Aftermarket fender installations, if not prohibitively pricey and boutique, often suffer from various problems, beginning with availability playing a role in fender selection and ending with an installation that is a botch job at least somewhere, like the fork crown or BB area. And suddenly you spot
>picrel
on the bikes some guys ride around on.
>>
>what's the reason for not using umbrellas? even people who do use them don't carry them around when it's sunny out. what's the point? they don't have sunlight in amsterdam!

Unracerism is mental illness thread #23948134
>>
>>2015008
>half the posts mention rattling
admittedly the only fenders I have ever bought are Velo Orange, so iunno about the rest, but mine came with leather washers and they don't rattle, and I ride gravel etc pretty regularly.
either don't buy cheapos, or set them up properly, or something, but this is a non issue for me, and I've had mine about a decade now
>>
>>2015398
It has nothing to do with cheapos, leather washers do not come standard with 99.99% of fenders. In fact I would be surprised if ANY fenders came with that except VO
>>
>>2015398
>>2015401
Yea I remember reading about fenders on Sheldon Brown's website and he mentioned leather washers like it was normal and it weirded me out.

That being said could you cut up an old inner tube for the same effect?
>>
>>2015404
Part of becoming a Real Cyclistâ„¢ is realizing sheldon was often wrong if not completely insane
>>
File: 1702738993327291.jpg (46 KB, 750x736)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>2015420
I had serious doubts after reading that I should never really use my rear brake. Like I get that the front is stronger but for modulating speed I'd much rather have my rear skid out than my front.
>>
File: rain resistor.jpg (328 KB, 1595x1002)
328 KB
328 KB JPG
>>2015008
Fenders are great, they keep you and the bike much dryer than you'd be without them when riding in the rain. Being a bong obviously that matters.

But, they look shite, if they are badly fitted they can be noisy and they can rub against tyres. If well fitted however you would never know they are there, except for when you see them.

So back to the aesthetics. They can destroy the look of a nice bike, there's no doubt about that, but if the bike is needed for practical purposes, like commuting or touring, then who gives a shit how it looks? Racks have the same effect, and for the same reason it shouldn't matter if you are using the rack. I have a bike set up specifically for wet weather riding, the fenders are good quality and they are very will fitted. I love them because I only ever ride the bike when I need them. When it's dry I have another bike.
>>
>>2015008
Most of the rain for me happens in the summer, so that's when I'm using fenders. I have two road bikes - one with fenders and one without. My new faster bike doesn't have them and I use it on dry days which is most days. My old slower bike does have them on indefinitely and I use this one the rainy days. No big deal since I'm not going for speed on such days and risk slipping.

>>2015014
It depends. On my old road bike a sturdy kickstand is on it since I sometimes carry things like groceries in a basket on my rear rack and some stability on the bike while loading/unloading is nice to have without having to find something to lean it on.
My new road bike is reduced to just the basic stuff and I find a kickstand unnecessary here. On a mountain bike a kickstand is stupid if not dangerous to have as it could get caught in branches or whatever.
>>
>>2015421
Well you're just forming bad habits and it will bite you in an actual emergency. I am surprised you haven't figured yet.
When stopping urgently or in a competition context your rear will not have any meaningful contact with the road. This means that even miniscule braking on the rear will make it lock up but it also means that it doesn't really skid. It's lifted off the road instead. But if you need it to correct tracking of the bike it is better to have it spin freely. Also you'll probably diverting attention and capacity from you'r front brake, the only one doing anything for you. Your front wheel, meanwhile, will not 'skid out'. It wont happen. Go try it. You'll have to bail OTB but you'll never get your front to skid. Unless winter, ice, mud, sand and other adverse conditions. That's where your rear brake comes in. But it's also a bad habit to go faster than you should on slippery surfaces.
>>
>>2015448
nta but I front brake when the danger is car doors and pedestrians and things of that nature, and rear brake on high speed descents. front braking on a descent is dangerous because if your front wheel hits a road defect at high speed, your grip is going to clench up because the grip to keep your hands on the bars is the same grip used to apply braking pressure, this is a near guarantee of a high speed crash

and yes, your front wheel *will* skid out, because conditions exist that are not just pristine dry asphalt at 70F on a sunny day, if this doesn't seem like a real issue your opinions on cycling do not matter

then there's offroad situations where you're descending steeply at low speed, and a two handed simultaneous brake strategy works best because both wheels are equally likely to slide out
>>
>>2015008
>What's the reason behind not using fenders?
I neither need them nor do I want to be tangentially associated with nerds.
>>
>>2015453
>conditions exist that are not just pristine dry asphalt
>then there's offroad situations
maybe read before making a clown of yourself ?
>>
File: 1663892197087362.gif (47 KB, 316x400)
47 KB
47 KB GIF
>>2015448
>>2015455

>adverse conditions
aka normal conditions for real men

I'm kidding obviously, but you highlight my actual criticism with Sheldon. Not that he's technically wrong but that it comes from a roadie perspective. If you are a noob cyclist, just read Sheldon's article, you'd think that the rear brake is reserved for special occasions. But if you regularly have to ride in winter, ice, mud, sand, and other adverse conditions you probably would word things differently.

I dunno man you ever just run over a patch of sand in your road? The shoulder seasons around where I'm from are dangerous if you're a front braker.
>>
>>2015421
>I apply equal pressure to both levers
>done it my whole life
>works jim dandy
>idgaf
>>
>>2015474
I am a roadie and I ride in winter, rain, ice, since when did "roadie" mean summertime weekend warrior?
>>
>>2015474
I've ridden in central europe every workday and most days on weekends in the last decade.
I don't think you insinuating '[...]you are a noob cyclist [else] you [...] would word things differently' is valid. I mean sure feel free to claim that anyone who hasn't spent 10.000 days in the saddle is 'new' but I'd say that would make you, as a human, old.
So yeah again: Do not teach or encourage riders who have not spent time thinking about the matter or at least experimenting to use, let alone rely on the rear brake. Slippery and unstable surfaces are its domain and that is about it.
>>
>>2015566
I know thinking is hard but most people can do it. Possibly even you, but we haven't seen any examples of that yet...
>>
>>2015453
>front braking on a descent is dangerous because if your front wheel hits a road defect at high speed, your grip is going to clench up because the grip to keep your hands on the bars is the same grip used to apply braking pressure, this is a near guarantee of a high speed crash
this is such ridiculous nonsense
it really doesn't make any sense

>>2015448
>When stopping in a competition context your rear will not have any meaningful contact with the road.
also an incredibly stupid statement

>>2015474
if we're playing the 'do you really ride' game then:
>hard braking
>both brakes
>rear wheel locks up and skids
has this happened to you?
>>
>>2015584
Up yours nigger
>>
>>2015584
it's ok to not know things but writing a wall of wrongness in a misguided attempt to make it seem otherwise is just cringe
>>
>>2015453
>the grip to keep your hands on the bars
You shouldn't need to grip the bars, only rest your hands on them. Adjust your saddle.
>>
>>2015618
I've never gone over 19mph: the post
>>
>>2015634
You know the answer but it's not the contrarian answer so you need someone else to confirm: gravel bike with slicks. There are some endurance geo road bikes that could also qualify but those are so variable that you can find "endurance" road bikes from one brand that are as aggressive as a race frame from another brand. If you can't test drive, find out your size in all of your target bikes, put in the geometry, and get the one with the shortest reach and largest stack. Stack/reach doesn't tell you everything, but it's the easiest to look at from the online specs.
>>
>>2015618
Lol shut the hell up dude
>>
>>2015581
>>2015584
motorists detected
maybe ride a conventional bicycle once and then discuss riding bicycles
>>
>>2015008

I just haven't bothered buying some yet. Will probably bite my ass eventually as I commute in a rainy day and soak my pants.
>>
>>2015609
>30 words
>wall
>>
Op go take a chillpill
not the red, blue, black one. A different one.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.