[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Expect some downtime in the next few minutes for upgrades!

[Advertise on 4chan]

SS United States to be sunk, creating the world's largest artificial reef. RIP to one of the greats.
>>
Second-largest is also in Florida
>>
File: Vandenberg.jpg (909 KB, 1280x725)
909 KB
909 KB JPG
>>2016128
and so is the third-largest
>>
How many threads do we need about this shitbox
>>2003628
>>2011826
>>
>>2016134
Ordinarily I would agree with you but I currently have about 20 threads hidden that are just /pol/ spam that has nothing to do with transportation, at least this is a passenger vessel and not a press release from the office of Stephen M. Ross, so bump just 4 u :-)
>>
>>2016128
Is that Admiral Kuznetsov?
>>
>>2016147
nah that would be the best she'd ever looked then
>>
>>2016147
USS Oriskany. The other is USNS General Hoyt S. Vandenberg, a satellite tracking ship
>>
>>2016134
You're right. Let's talk urban planning. Ooopsie, sorry for the bump fagnuts!
>>
I hope they sink it at a low depth, would make a baller dive location at ~30 meters
>>
>>2015994
One of the goats for sure, straight fire way to go out.
>>
>>2017922
barrier reefs are fairly shallow, is that a factor in why they make good habitats? If so they might be obligated to
>>
File: d2QP3Ze.png (55 KB, 2100x550)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
The Florida fish & wildlife page on the Oriskany has a diagram showing they sank it to provide 80 feet (25 meters) clearance over the tallest point of the ship.
That puts the bridge at about 45 meters and most of the main deck at 55 meters
>>
>>2018337
That's a little deep for recreational divers.
>>
File: goddamnit florida.png (500 KB, 610x457)
500 KB
500 KB PNG
>>2015994
>buying a literal last-of-its-kind ocean liner so you can sink it

I fucking hate Floridians so much...
>>
>>2018374
And do what with it, exactly?
>>
>>2015994
Talk about peak metaphor with that name....if Muskie cared about anything that mattered (efficient travel) he'd wrote a check and save this biddie.
>>
>>2018428
>efficient travel

Cruise ships are just a means to get drunk and gamble just a massive waste
>>
>>2018378
>buy decrepit ocean liner
>pour 100s of millions of dollars into it
>???
>profit
>>
>>2018469
>payback period
never
>>
>>2018458
It's 60 times more efficient per ton, than even a train.....slow is efficient just not per time, and faster times are just low character enabling horseshit. Slower travel makes people more deliberate/intentional. I've never been on a commerical flight. Don't tell me you prefer that cattle car to playing shuffleboard and fresh air even if it takes a day to get to the same place.
>>
>>2015994
>SS United States to be sunk, creating the world's largest artificial reef. RIP to one of the greats

You guys are so negative this is going to be awesome. Fort Walton Beach is the middle of the redneck riviera. It'll be beautiful. You'll be able to dive down at a fairly reasonable depth and see fish and sealife around this classic beauty. People will pay to dive and help the economy. And companies will bring those little tourist mini-subs down to view the fish and boat for the old people- a very /n/ thing.

Plus it's the USS United States. It's not seeing it's end being stripped for parts in South India like most scrapped ships. It's going to be a tourist attraction and provide natural barrier.
>>
>>2018523
It'll probably be a technically advanced dive to see it. I don't know if they'll require 80 feet like the Oriskany, but it also needs to be deep enough so storm and wave action don't disturb it.

It's not the USS United States, btw, just SS.
>>
>>2018470
That was clearly a joke dumbass.
>>
>>2015994
I'm going to miss seeing that thing out of the food court at the south philly IKEA.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.