[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Expect some downtime in the next few minutes for upgrades!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: walkable-plaza.jpg (1.08 MB, 1640x840)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
Sup, hoes. Where do Anons that want the walkable city experience live? I am a software engineer, young guy, looking to grow my career so it has to be a city that at least has a tech sector.
I currently live in the 'burbs and it's fucking dogshit.
>WFH
>go outside
>get in car
>come back
>get in house
>go outside later to walk the dog
>only children playing and parents outside
>people my age only leave their house to get in their cars and despawn from the map
>feels like nobody really lives here, just come to die
>everybody in their pod home

>I just want to live in a place where I can walk to most places and see my neighbors doing the same.
> I just want to live in a place where some dumb roastie on her phone can't dictate how quickly I can reach my destination.
> I just want to live in a place where I don't have to sit at a red light for 3 minutes when I'm THE ONLY CAR ON THE ROAD
>I just want to live in a place where I can walk to a bar and actually recognize the people there, like my cute neighbor
> I just want to live in a place where I can walk or bike to places.

I know you fucks all avoid homeless, libtards, and nignogs, so how are you guys liking living in these areas where these people are rampant, but you get to experience the walkable city life?
If I have to live another year in a lonely suburb as a young guy looking to have fun ima blow my brains out so how the fuck do anons deal with living in a place like NYC with all the shit that comes with it? Considering the move bros...
>>
Try Chicago or Philly for walkability with a low cost of living.
>>
>>2017733
This almost reads like a parody of Reddit posts, down to an obsession with bars and drinking. Short answer is, moving to a place with more people around you won't make you more sociable, nor are urban-dwellers more sociable people.
>>
>>2017737
t. cager butthurt that young people want to live somewhere pedestrian-friendly
>>
>>2017734
NTAYRT, I’ve not been to Philly but everything I’ve seen has been very encouraging and so without personal experience I still second this recommendation. As a Masshole I’m obligated to say Boston as well but it’s nowhere near as affordable as Chicago or even Philadelphia from my understanding. Good tech opportunities especially out of Cambridge on the other hand. MBTA is kind of falling apart but it’s been getting some long overdue work lately. I hesitate to call Boston a world class city but is among the best in the US.
>>
>>2017734
How do they compare to NYC and why those instead?
>>
>>2017737
you're either old with a family or just hate people. I have no dependents and I have some youth left before I can close out this chapter of my life. I DO NOT want to spend it inside my house or fucking driving everywhere like a retard.
>>
>>2017745
Cagetrolls are too autistic for reproducing lol. They just sit inside and monitor the Chinese basketweaving forums for any pro-transit posts so they can write out a butthurt reply.
>>
>>2017742
Boston was top of my list. It has mostly white people and the crime is low. Great architecture. Holy fucking shit is it expensive though. NYC levels of expensive and most tech jobs pay mid to high 100k in salary. At least in NYC you get paid 225k+
>>
>>2017747
>>2017740
they're mentally ill.
>muh freedom to drive

These motherfuckers have never been stuck in a traffic jam on the highway or waited at an empty intersection for a gay traffic light. There's nothing free about driving a car. You are cucked at every step by the government and other people. At least on the fucking train I know that bitch is going 150 MPH or whatever. No dumb motherfucker going 15 in a 35 is gonna slow down my commute. I visited Dallas recently and we were completely STRANDED without a car. Fucking garbage city planning.
>>
>>2017752
>I visited Dallas recently and we were completely STRANDED without a car. Fucking garbage city planning.
Stop being too poor to rent a car
>>
>>2017754
Why do cagers think everyone is as poor as they are
>>
>>2017747
Chang, I don't know how you do it. The cagetrolls are just vicious. Thank you for keeping them in check.
>>
I live in NYC. I see all "the shit that comes with it" as a convenient filter to keep out the people I wouldn't want to associate with

>>2017745
So in other words you'll have your "city phase" where you pretend to like it because it gets you social media clout, and then you'll tire of it and move to the burbs and post angry screeds on facebook complaining about how cities would be great except for all the minorities, why don't you just skip the city phase and buy some reddit karma off a malaysian click farm, we don't want you here
>>
>>2017740
>young people
weird way to say niggers
>>
>>2017752
>There's nothing free about driving a car.

You think so?

I hate it when some jeet act too poor to rent a car. You can easily rent one instead of wasting valuable time waiting for the cheapest option.
>>
>>2017755
Too quick to jump to conclusions, but it's pretty obvious you were not planning to rent a car.

Does anyone use Hivemapper and Natix? Just curious to know.
>>
>>2017767
>>2017754
(you) are a trolling little faggot. I make more money than you and in the OP I tell you my career dumb fuck. I did rent a car the next day in Dallas.
It still didn't solve the problem shit for brains.

>>2017758
Can you try typing this without the mental illness. I'm confused. You live in NYC. How is it? Are you worried for your safety? Do you see bums everywhere? Is it extremely filthy? I've never been bro
>>
>>2017770
>I make more money than you and in the OP I tell you my career dumb fuck.

Cocky folks always brag about the little employers give every month.

if you make 5-6 figure you can brag.

Renting was never part of your plan, but since your cheap option wasn't accessible, you just had to go with the next option.
>>
File: 20240909_160223.jpg (160 KB, 1280x720)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>2017770
It's terrible. Tren de Agua has taken over my building and there are dead bodies and feces everywhere. What's more, every night a horde of bearded, lisping, drag queen librarians knocks on my door and tries to make me read books and use pronouns, I have to be very quiet so they think I'm not there, otherwise BLM and cancel culture will ruin my life.

Here's a picture of a biker gang that I just took, I am pretty sure they were antifa but they might have been MS-13. I have to pay $10,000 a day to the Italian Mafia (or La Cosa Nostra as they call it) to keep me safe from such outlaws.
>>
>>2017775
come on anon dont be a bitch be straight with me.

>>2017774
You must get hemorroids from driving so much, cuck
>>
>>2017776
At least it’s something I love doing. I own trucks and cars, including a camper RV. With my dashcam and Natix setup, I’m good to hit the road, unlike paypig jeet who find it too expensive to rent a car.
>>
>>2017770
>I did rent a car the next day in Dallas.
>It still didn't solve the problem shit for brains.
My bad I presumed someone who could rent a car was also capable of driving it
>>
>>2017782
>>2017783
I drive a car every day holy shit. I do not like driving and I am not a filthy pajeet scum. You like driving? Good for you! The west is full of empty roads for you to drive to your heart's content. Thanks for bumping the thread, idiots.
>>
I grew up in a small walkable rural city in the mountains. Respectable size, about 40k population. If you're not from the area you have probably never heard of it.

What annoys me most is when I am advocating for walkable cities, I am talking about places like this. Small walkable cities with community where cars are not verboten but most places can be reached on foot or by bike with an inexpensive public transit system that goes everywhere in town and even to surrounding towns and loads of single family homes with lawns, etc. Every time there is a walkable city thread anti-walkies are only capable of thinking about sprawling metropolises with millions of citizens ridden with crime and hoards of angry niggers everywhere. No. My town is conservative, 95% white and 10 minutes away from thousands of square miles of of deep wilderness. This city isn't walkable because of a sudden fad towards walkability. It simply maintained it's traditional character instead of converting to a car-centric layout. In fact, the shitty parts of town are the parts that were developed later and are more car-centric.

Why are anti-walkies so offended by this?
>>
>>2017798
What 40k population city has public transit?
>>
>>2017798
Where? I only mention NYC because it’s the most walkable city. I’d gladly take a remote job and a pay cut to live in a place like this. What you described is my ideal situation but that shit is only found in Europe. Considering moving there but I don’t know man it’s really far and I’m afraid I won’t like it.
>>
>>2017733
>avoid homeless, libtards, and nignogs
try east asia i guess, western countries are absolutely fucked
>>
>>2017776
I am being straight with you, you won't fit in here, no one likes people like you, please stay in your flyover state where you belong
>>
>>2017798
because the majority of small cities in the US are not like that at all, they might have a single walkable downtown street that goes for a mile and the rest is split up by highways with no good way to get from your house (which is usually not near downtown) to places you want to go. it should be a goal to make those places more walkable, bikeable, more amenities close to where people live but you are making up a strawman to say urbanists only care about tokyo and NYC
>>
>>2017825
>because the majority of small cities in the US are not like that at all, they might have a single walkable downtown street that goes for a mile and the rest is split up by highways with no good way to get from your house (which is usually not near downtown) to places you want to go
Very dubious claim
>>
>>2017829
go on google maps and check most small towns/cities, especially outside of the northeast. there are exceptions but many lack pedestrian infrastructure and have housing outside of the downtown area and no busses, requiring cars.
>>
>>2017833
>go on google maps and check most small towns/cities
I live in America, outside of the NE. You're out of your mind
>>
>>2017733
>i want to be where people are
you wouldn't talk to any of those people anyhow, and even if you did they'd think you were a psychopath for cold-approaching them.
if you're not FROM there, you'll always be an outsider. this is the way of things.
>>
>>2017835
i live in america as well and you are blind as fuck or wilfully ignorant because if you've been to many towns you'll clearly see how most were transformed to be usable only by car.
>>
>>2017843
They're not. You're being deceitful
>>
Why is there a new dumbest thread on this board every single fucking day?
>>
>>2017740
>>2017745
Call me whatever you like; doesn't change the fact that you can move anywhere but that won't change your personality. A year or two when you move to your "walkable neighborhood" you'll probably be blaming a nearby parking garage why you're still a shut-in.
>>
>>2017733

Horrible. My rent is high and trying to buy a place to live is too much money, let alone for kids. Walkable cities are places of death for my country and I wish we had a car centric sprawl like North America.
>>
>>2017857
i can guarantee you 100% your rent issues are not due to walkable cities and american cities have no issue being extremely unaffordable with sprawl, see: LA
>>
>>2017854
This, you'll still be a lonely shut-in just in a more cramped, loud environment. Work on being outgoing before you waste your time moving somewhere new. Go to the park, bar, etc. every other day even if it involves driving
>>
>>2017754
you seem to have no idea how out-of-touch and deleterious to society actively defending such an approach is
>shitty concrete plains and autojew cuckery is the epitome of freedom by the way
>>
>>2017814
>homeless, libtards, and nignogs
You're just going to get the asian equivalents of those
>>
>>2017733
You can move to Yurop. Amsterdam has a plenty of tech companies and is as walkable as you can imagine.
>> I just want to live in a place where some dumb roastie on her phone can't dictate how quickly I can reach my destination.
Just ride a bike, duh. Even if lane-splitting is not allowed in your state, it's unlikely to be actively enforced.
>>
>>2017940
not in places like singapore or japan, at least not terms of magnitude. look at random streets toyko on google earth and then look at LA or SF and count the amount of tents and junkies on the street
>>
>>2017944
amsterdam is an overpriced shithole
>>
>>2017935
>Am I out of touch?
>No, it's everyone else who is!
>>
Post pics from your walkable city, this is my CVS
>>
>>2017952
I wouldn't expect any urbanist or YIYBY to acknowledge this post. They're ignore it or at most, fall back on "dilution is the solution" rhetoric.
>>
>>2017945
japan has it's issues especially workplace related but this is completely true, you are completely safe at nearly all times. the worst thing you'll see is a few delinquents blasted on strong zeroes on the pavement. it's so shocking coming from the west coast and seeing you can be safe at all times of day, leave your bike outside, etc. north america really is a sick place desu.
>>
>>2017968
>>2017952
>my city is a shithole so, take that urbanists!
>>
>>2017981
Cities are shitholes because of the people living in them
>>
>>2017952
There are plenty of walkable cities that aren't shitholes. No, I won't tell you where. We're full
>>
File: FB_IMG_1725995379603.jpg (158 KB, 1080x1440)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>2017981
>>2017989
>>2017968
>His city isn't walkable
>>
>>2017990
>Is that hecking trasherino??? Better isolate myself in a pod in a lifeless suburb where I don't have to interact with anyone who isn't a paranoid carbon copy of myself
>>
>>2017991
so I heard you like green spaces and social interaction
>>
>>2017991
>isolate myself in a pod
>don't have to interact with anyone
>paranoid carbon copy of myself
Ahh the city life
>>
>>2017991
maybe you can interact with this guy? don't forget to knock

all taken from my neighborhood facebook group btw
>>
>walkablerino cucks
kek
>>
>>2017994
>>2017996
Not a problem in my city try not living in shitholes
>>
>>2018011
then your city is not diverse enough and is full of hecking carbon copies of yourself
>>
>>2018016
anon in case you realized this is a racist website and the urbanists here would gladly live in single ethnicity cities.
>>
>>2018019
then they'd just get lynched by their more consistent brethren that understand that the main purpose of urbanism is to wage war on the safety net and segregationism that sparse housing provides
>>
>>2018016
Please go touch grass and take a shower
>>
It's hilarious how butthurt the cage trolls are at this thread.

Young professionals will always want to live in walkable cities. It's a trend that grows more and more every year and all your shitposting will never reverse it.

Bump :)
>>
Why are the educated and wealthy leaving urbanite shitholes then?
Urbanite cucks cope and seethe 24/7 lmao
>>
Hopefully they can build urban infill to make more cities/neighborhoods walkable so more middle-class people can find a good neighborhood to live in.
>>
>>2017952
>petty theft is a real issue for me personally that directly affects my life
What did anon mean by this post
>>
>>2017748
Boston is great to bike in, I come in by bike from the suburbs and my biggest complaint is probably how sketchy it is crossing the green line tracks sometimes.
>>
>>2017801

Cities in WV

>>2017733

I live in Philly. It's not perfect but it might be some of the closest you are going to get to what you are describing.

I will be moving to WV soon though to avoid all of the negative externalities of typical walkable cities (nonwhites, hipsters) but still maintain some of the benefits of cities that weren't completely designed around the automobile.

If you speak Spanish and like their culture, Union City, NJ or North Newark are also the place to be. I am guessing a hipster like yourself is a pasty wyte boi like myself though,
>>
>>2018088
Assuming you have a good career, you go there to make money and enjoy this type of lifestyle while you have your youth. A lot of people make their money and higher education, then move to start a family in a lower cost area.

That’s the way I see it, anyway.

>>2018237
How is Philly compared to NYC? Everywhere I’ve read online says nothing compares to it in terms of stuff to do. I plan to visit, but if NYC is too nasty then I’d consider a cleaner, nicer area. Is Philly cleaner?

>>2017989
Where? Also, does it have a growing tech scene?
>>
>>2017931
I already have a social life. I don’t go out to places I want to go because they’re all in the city district and traffic is awful and the parking is even worse. I want to go out but every time it’s a fucking mission in a car. Not to mention drunk drivers are dangerous. I have to drive fucking everywhere in the suburbs. Even nearby places suck to walk to because everything is a stroad so it’s shit. Loud ass cars going 45 MPH, some shitty narrow sidewalk, and absolutely nothing but houses. It’s sucks ass
>>
>>2017944
I am considering Europe but being far from old family members worries me. I’m not sure it would be easy to start a life ther, but it has everything I described above. Trains between cities and countries. Many walkable towns. Low crime rate in many places and lots of history. I could go on, but I would probably be a loner there.
>>
>>2018331
You want the most helpful not-shitpost answer I can give you?

Join the Facebook group for whatever area you're interested in living in. It'll give you a better idea of what's there than any shitter on 4chan can tell you. All these are from my neighborhood facebook group except for the first pic...that was the CVS I bought my antibiotics at (I was expecting detergent and cosmetics not fucking candy)

Philly is NOT cleaner but it is definitely CHEAPER.
>>
I live on the edge of a city. It takes 15-20 mins to drive into the centre and parking is expensive unless it's in the evening. The bus into the centre takes 43 minutes, park and ride takes 10 mins to drive and another 10 or so to for the bus to get into the centre. All this faff puts me off going much, if parking was cheaper I would go more often.
>>
>>2018085
And yet you still live in your flyover cage suburb and won't leave, really makes you think
>>
>>2018349
I moved from the suburbs to the city, actually. Feels good.
Not sure why you keep pushing you made-up bullshit lol. I guess it’s the last non-argument you can think of after all your other schizo shit got repeatedly debunked lol.
>>
>>2018361
Shenzen, Chengdu, or Chongqing?
>>
The great thing about walkability is that it’s shown to reduce crime and commute times.
>>
>>2018380
That is indeed the great thing about walkability, Chang!
>>
>>2018349
So first you say he was living in “flyover” America and now apparently he’s Chinese. Really shows how you have 0 argument.
Hope OP finds a good city to live in!
>>
File: town.jpg (587 KB, 2400x1350)
587 KB
587 KB JPG
>>2017733
lol I live in a walkable suburb, I live in a 5 bed house I bought myself easily with a super low mortgage (£600 per month).

my town is ~10k people, I can walk in 5-10mins to:

3 small convenience stores
3 large supermarkets
12 pub/bars
10 cafes
primary school and high school
6 different playparks
train station
football pitches for my 7 a side group
football stadium for local team
2 museums
nature reserve
cycle path that goes coast to coast
dentist
doctor
swimming pool
sports halls
gym

don't need a car for anything, even with the kids, they can live independently easily

my work is 15 mins by train, there are 8 trains per hour going in all directions to the nearest 2 big cities and a bunch of similar sized small towns

fuck living in big cities, just get a decent suburb
(pic related btw)
>>
>>2017733
Buffalo NY
>>
>>2017737
>Moving to a place with more people won't make you more sociable

Lolwut. It had that effect on me, it's called "going outside" otherwise known as "touching grass"
>>
File: snsdc.jpg (5 KB, 201x251)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>2017754
>just, like, drive car or walk
I know you live with your parents and look like pic related, don't even try to peddle your "dEfUnD pUbLiC tRaNsPoRtAtIoN" bullshit here, closet commie fag.
>>
File: FkCUxnuXwAQzb4b.jpg (44 KB, 500x500)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>2017782
Then why shove it down everyone's throats, faggot? Go to >>>/o/ where MAYBE you'll feel welcome in a retarded echo chamber of your own choice
>>
>>2018011
Get a gun, cuck.
>>
>>2018584
>don't even try to peddle your "dEfUnD pUbLiC tRaNsPoRtAtIoN" bullshit here, closet commie fag.
lmao, pot calling the kettle black right here
>>
>>2018588
Yawn.
>>
>>2017757
>>2018407
Ok Josh, you can continue to pay for car insurance out the nose (by order of the government lol) while the rest of us are free to CHOOSE our transportation options, unlike you who has become the government's good goy slave.

>>2018590
Don't care, didn't ask.
>>
>>2018580
OK, here's the average suburb in the US
>supermarket is probably walmart, if you are lucky it's kroger or publix
>maybe a convenience store on the corner if you are very lucky and it's an old streetcar suburb
>1 or 2 pubs, both with huge parking lots
>cafe is dunkin and starbucks in strip mall
>train station shut down 60 years ago and is now a museum
>no cycle paths, if you are lucky you get a rail to trail
>maybe a community center
>no sidewalks
>need a car to do literally anything, path to school for kids is probably across an 8 lane highway
>>
>>2018577
>everyone on /n/ is one person
Perhaps reddit would be more to your liking, flyover

t. the nonwhite you want mass-deported
>>
>>2018650
>supermarket is probably walmart, if you are lucky it's kroger or publix
Suburbs have always had several grocery stores to choose from in my experience, it's never been just one or two stores. Plus I can drive 2 miles into the next towns over there are more stores there. The only places where grocery stores are really limited are in rural small towns well outside of metro areas.

>maybe a convenience store on the corner if you are very lucky and it's an old streetcar suburb
>1 or 2 pubs, both with huge parking lots
I don't go to convenience stores much and don't drink either so that not a deal killer. Most people don't either once they have families, people will meet at their friends' homes to hang out and watch ball games. I can see how that might be annoying if you were a bar hopper. There are typically bars and restaurants downtown anyway if you insist on having that aesthetic.

>cafe is dunkin and starbucks in strip mall
Usually they're in stand-alone stores to facilitate drive-thru service, which is fine because I can go in and sit down or get it to go.

>train station shut down 60 years ago and is now a museum
The alternative is having the railroad tear the building down because it's surplus to their needs.

>no sidewalks
You guys say this ad nauseam but if you go in any suburb you'll find sidewalks and even bike lanes.

>need a car to do literally anything, path to school for kids is probably across an 8 lane highway
They can ride the bus though. The trend in education for the past 30 years has been consolidation to save money, so the idea that everyone's kid is going to walk to the handful of combined schools is unrealistic.
>>
>>2018580
British suburbs are nothing like retarded American suburbs. American NIMBYs would lose their shit if you tried to build something like a British suburb near them.

t. Been all over England
>>
any city is walkable if you have the determination.
>>
>>2018650
>an "average suburb"
>proceeds to list a whole bunch of exaggerated nonsense
>>
>>2017791
Next time, don't bring such an unreasonable experience here. It is not worth discussing. I hate people who are indecisive.
>>
>>2018585
I didn't intend to, but the idiot caused it. Next time, read through before jumping to conclusions
>>
>>2018333
Yeah, that is a real concern. I'm making the move to Madrid, which I've already lived in for several months on normal tourist visas. I got lucky though and happen to qualify for their 2022 immigration law allowing descendants of spaniards that left during WW2 to get a citizenship. I actually do have distant family still here, just never met them. It's an amazing city, but Spain has a pretty bad employment market. I'm only making it work because I work remote. Still worried that I have no network there, I feel like I'm going to have to really dive into making connections immediately so if something ever happens to my job overseas I'm not left with a blown up career in Spain. But who knows, maybe something like that would force me back to the states.
>>
>>2018669
Brits are crammed into a lot less space.
>>
>>2018869
lol Scotland has a lower population density and overall population than indiana

It has nothing to do with population distribution and everything to do with laws around planning

All the towns where I live are relatively small (10k-30k) and all have dense cores where people live in apartments above shops/restaurants/cafes, and then have regular houses with gardens outside the centre (but still easy to walk into the centre)

It is this localised density that allows for walkable areas around train stations that link them all together, and parking isnt a requirement because everyone lives close to the services

I've been to quite a lot of the USA and canada, and every small town I've been to has a car park for the town centre, and people don't live in the centre, it is all businesses with huge car parks and 4 lane roads with one crossing

I would say it is very subjective what is better, some people prefer living with everything on their doorstep, and some people prefer living far enough away from everyone else. It's just difficult for north america, as having things on your doorstep or close to public transport basically requires living in a major city, or in one of the few small towns that have it (due to the scarcity, these are always horribly expensive)
>>
>>2017737
Only half true, but you wrote this like a massive cunt. If you're moving to a city just to sit inside all day and only leave to get groceries or whatever, then no shit youre not going to meet more people. But living in a city/walkable area makes you immensely more likely to actually do shit you like to do as easily as possible.
>>
>>2018334
Dogshit answer. All facebook community groups are full of busybody HOA types who constantly bitch. Literally none of them ever have positive things to say, they'll bitch about the most sterile and podlike suburb having a new car they don't recognize or someone mowing the lawn on tuesday at 4pm and not 5pm
>>
File: n-being-stupid-again.jpg (485 KB, 1844x912)
485 KB
485 KB JPG
>>2018873
>lol Scotland has a lower population density and overall population than indiana
Typical /n/ cherry-picking and abject failure to understand geography.
Scotland has a lower average population density than Indiana because it's full of rugged highlands where it's hard for people to live and build homes. Plus, Scotland is often constrained by jagged coastline. Your 30k pop cities are clustered over relatively small areas.
Indiana meanwhile is flat, with some of the best farmland on the planet, a temperate climate, and almost no coastline. There are almost no geographic features in Indiana that would impede the spread of population. Furthermore, this geographic pattern extends into each of its neighboring states. Indiana's small towns are spread evenly across its entire area.
>It has nothing to do with population distribution and everything to do with laws around planning
The laws around planning evolve based on how the population distributes itself over time based on economic incentives and geographic pressures.
Funny how /n/ always fails so hard at such basic concepts.
>>
I’m so glad I don’t live in the suburbs anymore.
t. start my car maybe once a week
>>
>>2018947
I'm so glad cagers come to /n/ so they can flood the catalog with blog posts about their car
>>
>>2018959
It only seems like /n/ is full of cagers to you, because you bait their attention with the intense stupidity of your posts.
>>
>>2018873
>I've been to quite a lot of the USA and canada, and every small town I've been to has a car park for the town centre, and people don't live in the centre, it is all businesses with huge car parks and 4 lane roads with one crossing
Where are you talking about?
>>
>>2019001
You being a cager is less of an issue than you blogposting about cars all the time. Does it say /n/ - cars up there? No? Then take it to /o/
>>
>>2019003
been to small towns in Texas, California, Minnesota, Iowa, and all up and down the northeast corridor (work as a service engineer for industrial equipment)

In pretty much every town I've been to (even going to what the people i work with call "the nice historic towns") is just a strip mall with houses in all directions, and walking anywhere is seen as crazy.

Most weird moment, I remember walking through a nature reserve, and there were 2 women walking near me, they went back to the car park and I decided to keep going across the bridge to the other side of the river, and they had drove around the nature reserve to go to the other side and walk around there (they said to me "did you walk all the way here" - it was 10 minutes walk)
>>
>>2019003
NAYRT, but that's been my experience as well in a lot of small towns (2k-20k population) in the US southeast, where my extended family all grew up. Some are turning business buildings on the main strip into back into mixed use buildings, but a vast majority of the housing is single-family on half-acre to an acre lot size sprawled on one side of the main street, with one or a few old 2 story apartment developments from the '70s on the other side. All of main street is built for you to park your car, and people drive half a mile from their house to go to the grocery store or what have you because the only road in town that has sidewalks is main street itself, and even that often has stupidly designed intersections that make walking more annoying than it should be.
>>
File: Untitled.png (3.29 MB, 1920x1080)
3.29 MB
3.29 MB PNG
>>2018917
Even comparing aberdeenshire to indiana, the towns and villages in scotland are dense and the towns and villages in indiana are not. People in scotland have chosen (or the government has enforced it through planning) to live in dense towns and villages

Obviously you can take this to the extreme and you get the nile delta with hyperdense slum towns, which don't seem nice places to live

>The laws around planning evolve based on how the population distributes itself over time based on economic incentives and geographic pressures

I'd disagree, especially in countries where the local population had very little control over things like this in the past (highland and lowland clearances, for example, concentrated the population of scotland into towns rather than being homestead farmers)

Once again, I'm not saying "usa bad europe good", they are just different ways of organising society, and it's a sliding scale with north america and ireland at one extreme and egypt at the other, with everywhere else in between
>>
>>2019007
>>2019009
>Can't name a single town you claim to be this way
Typical YIYBY
>>
>>2019012
ok, I'll list a few:

martinez CA
mason city IA
farmington MN
hudson WI
beaumont TX
portland TX

that enough for you? there's loads more I've been to
>>
>>2019012
Dahlonega, GA
Metter, GA
Statesboro, GA
Claxton, GA
Clarkesville, GA
Macon, GA

The fact that Statesboro is home to one of the largest universities in Georgia makes it especially dire, there's fucking nothing to do there other than drink or drive to Savannah or Macon. Macon's the largest one in my example, but the downtown is fucking desolate despite supposedly being a city of 150k. There's a fun bar street, but no easy way for residents to get to it unless they drive.
>>
>>2019014
All of those except Portland feature traditional downtowns and have residential housing either in or adjacent to downtown. Final score 1 out of 6, better luck next time.

>>2019016
I've been to all of those except Clarkesville. Macon and Statesboro don't meet your own definition of a small town (2,000-20,000 population). Of the rest, the county's population exceeds the city's; you shouldn't be surprised that there's parking for people who drive there. Your complaints are too scattershot and just seem like whining.
>>
I would consider Dallas because they’re building a ton of apartments there. But you’ll still need a car occasionally.
>>
>>2019019
I knew you'd move the goalpost. Take it and fuck off back to >>>/o/
>>
>>2019046
Keep trying little YIYBY
>>
>>2017752
And you have never been stuck standing in an overcrowded train, or sitting opposite to some troglodyte, or some loud youths, or near some faggot eating his greasy, smelly junk food. Its uncomfortable and exhausting. At least in a car I sit comfortably, have my radio and AC.
>>
>>2019071
>And you have never been stuck standing in an overcrowded train
I have on many occasions. I still prefer having to stand with a bunch of people on a train, because I can still read or study while I get where I'm going than having to pay attention to the road and deal with dumbass drivers. This may surprise you, but different people have different preferences and aside from the logistical and financial issues of forcing everyone to drive to participate in society, people should have multiple realistic transportation choices to get to work, family, friends, and leisure activities. A bus that comes once an hour and takes two hours to cover a 25 minute drive is not a realistic choice.
>>
File: Untitled.png (3.32 MB, 1920x1080)
3.32 MB
3.32 MB PNG
>>2019019
Here's your traditional downtown bro:

4 lane road with no crossing points - check
Massive car parks on both sides - check
No benches anywhere - check
It's literally just all car parks

Just because it has a downtown doesnt mean downtown is anywhere worthwhile, have better standards pls
>>
File: beaumont.png (1.19 MB, 841x655)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB PNG
>>2019093
>4 lane road with no crossing points - check
Main Street has crosswalks at every block and at least one mid-block (in front of City Hall).
>Massive car parks on both sides - check
Largest parking lots downtown are near the Downtown Event Center, City Hall, and the 3 museums that show up downtown, all places where people will be coming into downtown from other areas. Makes sense. They're not massive by US standards.
>No benches anywhere - check
Pic rel
>It's literally just all car parks
Another foreigner making up histrionic arguments about the US. You cherry picked and still found a way to screw up.

>have better standards pls
Beaumont is an industrial city. It's a place where people work. Summers are hot and sticky. Its economy is based on petrochemical production, which has had booms and busts in Texas. It's not going to be at the top of anyone's list of best cities in the state, and it's unreasonable to think that every city is going to be a place you will personally like.
>>
>>2019082
I can tell you have never used a train.
read and study lmao, especially when its full and you are stacked liked sardines with subhumans
>>
>>2019110
I can tell you have never used a train. All you know about trains comes from right-winger scareporn and 1990s Japanese news clips lmao
>>
>>2019111
ok
>>
>>2017733
>I know you fucks all avoid homeless, libtards, and nignogs, so how are you guys liking living in these areas where these people are rampant, but you get to experience the walkable city life?
I don't avoid them. Only some addicts are really bad company the others can just be ignored or even a fun partner for some i-will-never-see-you-again smalltalk
Maybe it's easie for me since I do't really live downtown so it's just some fun until I head back to my boring part of the city. You probably don't want to live right where the action is either as long as you still have to work, I recommend some outer parts with good pubic transport connections or a quiet street near a park or some nature.
>>
>>2019119
>claims you can't read or do anything on a train because its packed with minorities
>immediately own-goals by posting comfy window seat train ride
Compulsive contrarianism is not a sign of intelligence, it's a sign of narcissism. Seek help. I'm happy for you that you have a comfy train though :3
>>
>>2019131
Nta but let's stop pretending people do anything but stare at their phones scrolling social media and listening to music while riding the train.
>>
>>2019132
Why do you think it's so difficult to read on a train? Not hard unless you're carrying some massive hardback around. Not my fault you fucks spend all your free time doomscrolling instead of reading a fucking book.
>>
>>2019140
>Why do you think it's so difficult to read on a train?
I didn't say anything about difficulty
>>
>>2019011
>Obviously you can take this to the extreme and you get the nile delta with hyperdense slum towns, which don't seem nice places to live
The Nile Delta is a perfect example of geography (and history) informing population distribution. The population looks like that because they bred like rats and there's nowhere else for them to go. The land beyond the extremely fertile delta is a desolate, inhospitable wasteland. So the population is forced to cram itself into cities while leaving room for precious farmland.

There's literally no amount of districting or planning that could turn Egypt into Indiana. To even start the conversation, you'd have to cull (literally) 98% of the population of the country, leaving less than 2 million people. Then you'd have to realize that the majority of Egypt is long and thin, with the river as the historically primary means of transportation. Imagine 5,000 people in Indianapolis are all given a completely random coordinates up to 120 miles away. No matter what coordinates you get, you'll wind up near a town in a place suitable for comfortable human living. Now imagine the same thing in Egypt. It wouldn't work. Even in smack in the middle of the delta, you're 30-60 miles from the sea or the desert.

Americans settling Indiana were free to spread out in every direction, and would naturally design cities and transportation to support their needs (which might include hundreds of people wanting to travel in a hundred different compass headings).

Try the same thought experiment with Aberdeen. You'll find half the people wind up in the North Sea and many of the rest stuck in the mountains.
>>
>>2019011
>Even comparing aberdeenshire to indiana, the towns and villages in scotland are dense and the towns and villages in indiana are not.
And again, my point is that this is heavily influenced by the very different geography of the two locations.

If you actually want to try comparing at least vaguely similar cities geographically, at least try comparing Aberdeenshire to Portland, Maine or Portsmouth, NH. You'll still find the American preference for bigger yards, bigger cars, wider roads, and parking lots as well as more frequent indifference to meticulous landscaping. But it won't be as different as Indiana.
>>
>>2019132
I see scrolling, looking out the window, reading (even real books), playing games, listening to music, having conversations, doing private phone calls, sleeping and on weekends drinking a lot. The rare activities are knitting and working on some paper.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.