[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Expect some downtime in the next few minutes for upgrades!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: panto-loco.jpg (70 KB, 1000x563)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
How do you tell a pantograph is about to break or stop functioning?
>>
1. read the manual
2. arcing that results in waveform disruption that, in almost all modern locomotives, will automatically trigger a controlled transformer shutdown before damage occurs to the coils inside
3. it falls down and requires the operator to stick it back up with a pole too much (particularly relevant for san francisco, where this is commonplace)

what is the purpose of your question? you can visit SF and just watch them as they pass in and out of Muni's electric grid
>>
>>2019064
>what is the purpose of your question?
what's the purpose of your reply?
>>
What happens when it rains????
>>
>>2019054
is that thing insulated?
what's stopping it from zapping everyone during rain?
>>
>>2019054
>How do you tell a pantograph is about to break or stop functioning?
Depends on the pantograph.

Usually you just need to replace the graphite when it wears with use, usually you'll notice power flicker when the wire hits the worn section of graphite, if it's really bad and you're actively drawing a high load (such as actively accelerating) when the wire goes over the worn area you might even get some pops and flashes, doubly so if you do this on a wire frog.
Though you can also manage to fuck it up in a crash or something where you might need to replace the entire thing.
>>
>>2019072
It gets wet
>>
>>2019072
>>2019080
Trump gtfo
>>
File: 1725539536926175.jpg (186 KB, 1024x1024)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
Electric in the poo
>>
>>2019069
the purpose of my reply is that it disrupts the waveform, this is an electrical engineering question that is arguably better done on /diy/

not being dismissive, because there are studies on this. Is there any specific reason you need to know what arcing does to an AC/DC transformer?
>>
>>2019054
i don't know i am not an electrician
>>
>>2019085
>doubly so if you do this on a wire frog
This is an honest to god pet peeve of mine.

Nothing pisses me off more than seeing a streetcar/tram draw power through a frog.

Learn to fucking drive you dumb cunts. It's not hard.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.