[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/news/ - Current News

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1699057142930219.png (253 KB, 500x655)
253 KB
253 KB PNG
Body-camera footage showing the fatal police shooting of Sonya Massey, a 36-year-old Black woman who had called 911 for help, was released publicly Monday in a case that has led to murder charges against a deputy.

The 36-minute video released via the Illinois State Police includes body-camera footage from each of the two Sangamon County Sheriff’s deputies who responded to Massey’s house after midnight on July 6 after Massey called 911 to report a possible “prowler” at her home in Springfield, according to a court document filed by prosecutors.

In the footage, deputy Sean Grayson and another deputy speak calmly with Massey in her home when she goes to the stove to turn off a pot of boiling water. She then picks up the pot and the other deputy steps back, “away from your hot steaming water,” he says.

“I rebuke you in the name of Jesus,” she says in response.

“Huh?” the deputy says.

“I rebuke you in the name of Jesus,” she repeats.

“You better f**king not or I swear to God I’ll f**king shoot you in the f**king face,” Grayson says.

He then draws his firearm and points it at her, and she ducks and says, “I’m sorry” while lifting the pot, the video shows.

“Drop the f**king pot!” both deputies yell.

Three shots are heard. After a few seconds of silence, one deputy says “shots fired” and calls for EMS.

“Dude, I’m not taking f**king boiling water to the f**king head. And look, it came right to our feet, too,” Grayson says.

Minutes after the shooting, Grayson speaks to another law enforcement figure. “She had boiling water and came at me with boiling water,” he says in the video. “She said she was going to rebuke me in the name of Jesus and came at (me) with boiling water.”

https://files.catbox.moe/afbhhn.mp4

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/22/us/sonya-massey-police-shooting/index.html
>>
The release of the video comes about two weeks after the fatal shooting and just days after Grayson was charged in her death.

Grayson, 30, was indicted by a grand jury last week on three counts of first-degree murder and one count each of aggravated battery with a firearm and official misconduct. He has entered a not guilty plea and was denied pretrial release, according to court records.

Massey is one of a number of Black women who have been killed by police in their own homes in recent years, including Breonna Taylor and Atatiana Jefferson. In a news conference Monday afternoon, civil rights attorney Ben Crump, who represents Massey’s family, connected her death to other cases of police violence against Black people across the US.

“Until we get justice for Sonya Massey, we rebuke this discriminatory criminal justice system in the name of Jesus,” he said.

>Video shows lead-up and aftermath

Grayson did not activate his body camera until after he fatally shot Massey, according to charging documents. The other deputy had activated his body camera when he first arrived at the scene, the documents state.

According to footage from the other deputy’s body camera, the incident began with the deputies walking around Massey’s yard and finding a vehicle with broken windows. They then knock on the door and speak with her, and she struggles to understand and answer some questions about the vehicle and about herself.

As they speak in her living room, the deputies note the pot on the lit stove and one says, “we don’t need a fire while we’re here.” Massey gets up and turns off the stove and the shooting then follows.

Immediately after the shooting, the video records Grayson telling his partner Massey would not need medical help.

The other deputy says he’s going to get a medical kit to help, but Grayson responds, “Nah, she’s done. You can go get it but that’s a headshot.”
>>
Grayson later goes to his vehicle to get his own medical supplies. When he gets back to the house, he asks if there’s anything he can do, but is told no.

“All right, I’m not even gonna waste my med stuff then,” Grayson says.

Next, Grayson leaves the house and speaks to a group of law enforcement officers outside. “Yeah I’m good, this f**king b*tch is crazy,” he says, according to the footage.

In the news conference Monday, along with members of her family, Crump said Massey had mental health challenges but was not aggressive toward the deputies.

“She needed a helping hand,” he said. “She didn’t need a bullet to the face.”

Massey’s father, James Wilburn, said he initially received conflicting information from law enforcement.

“I was under the impression that a prowler had broken in and killed my baby. Never did they say that it was a deputy-involved shooting until my brother read it on the internet,” Wilburn said.

>Officials criticize deputy’s actions

Since the shooting, local and state officials have criticized the deputy’s actions as an unjustified use of deadly force.

A review of the Illinois State Police investigation into the shooting “does not support a finding that … Grayson was justified in his use of deadly force,” the state’s attorney for the county, John Milhiser, said in a July 17 news release.

In a court document filed by the state last week, prosecutors said a “use-of-force” expert had reviewed the body-camera footage and concluded the use of deadly force was not justified.

“(The expert) likened the scenario to an officer intentionally and unnecessarily putting himself in front of a moving vehicle and then justifying use of force because of fear of being struck,” the prosecutors wrote.

The sheriff’s office said it has fired Grayson. “It is clear that the deputy did not act as trained or in accordance with our standards,” the office said.

CNN experts offered similar analysis.
>>
“Effective policing comes down to good judgment in highly stressful situations,” said Josh Campbell, CNN security correspondent and former federal agent. “Although being doused with scalding water could warrant the use of deadly force by an officer to stop a threat, in this video we certainly don’t see officers attempting alternative options, such as moving away and creating distance between themselves and Massey.”

“There were a number of ways to avoid this starting with better tactics from the outset,” said CNN Chief Law Enforcement and Intelligence Analyst John Miller, “but even if you forgive that and limit the observations to the last few seconds, there were still options of a calmer dialogue, more distance between the subject and them, a taser rather than a firearm.”

President Joe Biden said in a statement Monday that Massey’s family “deserves justice.”

“I am heartbroken for her children and her entire family as they face this unthinkable and senseless loss. Jill and I mourn with the rest of the country and our prayers are with Sonya’s family, loved ones, and community during this devastating time,” Biden said in a written statement.

“I commend the swift actions that were taken by the Springfield State’s Attorney’s office. While we wait for the case to be prosecuted, let us pray to comfort the grieving. Congress must pass the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act now. Our fundamental commitment to justice is at stake,” the president added.

Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul issued a statement Monday saying the footage was “horrific” and offering his sympathy to Massey’s family.

“As the community reacts to the release of the footage, I urge calm as this matter works its way through the criminal justice system,” he said.
>>
Election year race riots cancelled until the next mentally ill or drugged out black gets rightfully shot.
>>
>>1319673
Never let a cop in without a warrant. Ever. I'm not being ironic or anything, your life depends on it.
>>
>>1319713
She didn't let him in. He invited himself in after she asked him not to hurt her. I'm not even kidding.
>>
TL;DR cop executed a black person for handling a pot of water and saying something about jesus
>>
>>1319673
>"Away from my hot steaming water?" Massey seems tosay in the video. "I rebuke you in the name of Jesus. I rebuke you in the name of Jesus."
>"You'd better f*ing not. I swear to God, I'll f*ing shoot you right in your f***ing face," Grayson says.
What a retarded way to die.

I don't know what would be shittier, to actually threaten the cop with boiling water or to joke about it to ease the tension and end up dead all the same. Also, of course the cops happen to be lacking the crucial bodycam footage that would humanize the dead person most.

Well anyway, let's get that BLM train warmed up again. It's election time already!
>>
>>1319773
He told her to move the pot in the first place and when he finally shot her she was literally crouching on the ground in terror, not threatening him or joking.
>>
>>1319673
>innocent until proven guilty
>executed by police
This is America.
>>
>>1319807
>Fafo
Yeah. The cop did. Hope he enjoys prison. I hear it's not too fun for cops.
>>
>>1319673
Just saw on CBS news. He has worked for 6 different police since 2020 6 in 4.5 years. No issues there
>>
Since when is saying "I rebuke you" a threat of physical violence? Also, the cop is the one who told her to take the boiling pot of water off the stove in the first place. Then the piece of shit told his partner not to attempt to render first aid. This dude is gonna get the Derek Chauvin treatment, and I hope they throw the book at him.
>>
>>1319673
>tries to assault someone with a pot of boiling water
yeah i think its justified self-defense. What she did was assault at best and attempted murder at worst.
>>
>>1319988
Chauvin's honestly not that bad compared to this guy, At least the guy he went after had a violent past conviction and held a pregnant woman hostage, this person seems fairly innocent maybe just a bit mentally ill.
Its a shame no one will take it seriously now that people have glorified a drug head woman abuser as a saint.
>>
>>1319773
>>1320096
>commanding someone to do something, threaten them with a conflicting command to escalate tensions, and gun them down while theyre crouched and apologizing (very threatening!)
>dont give medical aid because aw shucks shes definitely not going to make it :(
im going to assume this is just cope from fellow good guys with guns who also wants to execute unarmed civilians? these 2 officers had every opportunity to deescalate the situation they initiated and still went for the option to draw their guns and literally saying out loud that they will shoot them in the fucking face
>>
Good thing is is a leftists common sense state where only cops can have guns
>>
>>1319673
Why did she threaten the officer with boiling water? Why didn't she simply drop it
>>
>>1320337
So the appropriate response was to excecise your second amendment rights and open fire to the cops or something?
>>
>>1320348
Actually yes, courts have ruled thats legal if the cops are breaking the law
>>
>>1320349
Surely that wouldn't lead to these cops having the excuse that they would've been fired upon, it's not like they already have a history of preemptively opening fire because they falsely assumed someone had a gun
What's the point of courts and legality when they'd have to start the aggression for you to have any kind of justification and even then they could just say that you were armed and therefore a threat that needed to be put down?
>>
>>1320350
>it's not like they already have a history of preemptively opening fire because they falsely assumed someone had a gun
Thanks to decades of "everyone who owns a gun is a criminal" indoctrination by the left, yes

>What's the point of courts and legality when they'd have to start the aggression for you to have any kind of justification and even then they could just say that you were armed and therefore a threat that needed to be put down?
Whats the point of caring about rights and police brutality if you're just going to shrug and say engaging in your rights and standing up to cops is too much of a hassle?

Also: what if you weren't a cowardly lick spittle for authoritarianism?
>>
>>1319673
The woman was clearly crazy, but that's no reason to shoot her. They should have stepped back and continued to plead with her to put the pot down. Guns drawn well pleading would be a clear enough indication that deadly force may be coming if she does not comply.
>>
>>1320384
>>1320353
Republicans can't help but KILL non white people wherever they see them!
I can't wait for them to get btfo YET AGAIN in an election by a non-white non-male strong candidate with HISTORIC support from NORMAL people!
>>
>>1320388
>I can't wait for them to get btfo YET AGAIN in an election by a non-white non-male strong candidate with HISTORIC support from NORMAL people!

What is this new script you guys are using? You're suddenly typing like a Facebook Wine Aunt Boomer
>>
>>1320391
This isn't your hug box safe space, /pol/!
>>
>>1320393
Go back to Facebook, boomer
>>
>>1320353
>Thanks to decades of "everyone who owns a gun is a criminal" indoctrination by the left, yes
The left doesn't train cops. Unfortunately.
>>
>>1320353
Isn't it a rightist talking point that "the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"? Aren't they also responsible for insinuating that crime is everywhere and they need to be tough on crime?
>Whats the point of caring about rights and police brutality if you're just going to shrug and say engaging in your rights and standing up to cops is too much of a hassle?
People have been calling out these kinds of behavior from the police and asking for a change for decades and its usually the right that refuses to engage with them. For all the talk of gun rights and authoritarian guberment or whatever there certainly is a lot of people who are absolutely complicit with being bootlickers to protect cops and their authorities from the leftists/communists/woke.
Even in this thread you have people blaming the victim for being a threat to the cop with the pot of water. I'd like to know if the victim would be praised as exercising their rights to protect themselves if they actually splashed hot water on them or opened fire with a gun had they had one.
>>
>>1320407
>>1320420
>The left doesn't train cops
>muh rightists!
Who do you guys think literally determining the training curriculum and rules for cops deep blue Illinois, anon?

Hint: Not rightists, not Republicans.
>>
>>1320423
>he thinks crime is a partisan issue
How did you get like this?
>>
>>1320425
>he thinks Republicans are responsible for what happens in deep blue states
How did you get like this?

Oh right, bail reform
>>
>>1320427
>thinks the right is not responsible for left states because things definitely happen in a bubble
>also thinks the entire crime and police problem could be solved if people actively exchange fire with the cops
are you feeling ok?
>>
>>1319809
>guilt and sentenced to death until proven innocent
ftfy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.